Flaws

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
In light of Brent's thread, I got to wondering how many folks know just how many cues never make it reality because of simple imperfections like what he showed. I'm sure every cue maker on earth (that cares) has cues that just didn't work out & became a complete loss. Here are a couple of my recent failures.

This one hurt but the cue is simple enough that I can deal with it, just build another. A mineral spot became exposed in the last few cuts & never got cut away before cue was at size.

mycue001-1.jpg

mycue002-1.jpg

But this one HURT. Not a cue easily just rebuilt. One of the butterfly recuts was ruined because my blade was getting dull on the last cut, burning the maple. It also got lots of tiny white specs showing in the ebony, not nearly as apparent in person but they are bright with camera flash. And last, I forgot to add toner to the joint collar of one of the shafts before finish & it has a faded look compared to the deepened color of the other joint collar & butt joint.

mycue003-1.jpg

mycue004-1.jpg

mycue005-1.jpg

mycue006.jpg

mycue007.jpg

mycue008.jpg

A cue like that really is a kick in the nuts when they don't make it. To avoid a total loss on it, I turned it into an experimental cue, making it 59" instead of my normal 58", and used grainless elforyn for ferrules so I could see what the material was like as ferrules. It's my cue now, as I have to build a new one, better one, for the intended buyer. Things like this cause long delays & it's pretty common in my shop. Either there's a material flaw, a mistake by me, a bit goes dull, etc. Once in Alaska I had a finished cue hanging ready to detail & send out, when an earthquake shook it loose from the hook & it shattered the buttcap & marred the sleeve when it hit & bounced on the hard concrete floor. Shit happens. Thankfully most folks are understanding about delays, though they get frustrated. Just imagine what the cue makers feel like on the other end of that delay.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
The mineral mark almost looks a burn from a cutter. Still the cue looks awesome. What kind of Burl did you use on your cue with butterflies?
In another end, recently I was doing the final pass on a pj ph cue, I opened the door to get ready to turn of my ts and the door collapsed and hit the router putting a huge gauge on the cue in the forearm. It sucked s. You learn from mistakes and redid completely my dust container box where I have my taper shaper so this won't happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
eric anyone would be proud to own either one of those cues....but i understand not sending out something your not happy with.....ps i would love to own that second cue......keep up the good work buddy....hope to see you in march....

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
Hey sre you going to sale the butterfly as is .. if so pm me a price as is...

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
In light of Brent's thread, I got to wondering how many folks know just how many cues never make it reality because of simple imperfections like what he showed. I'm sure every cue maker on earth (that cares) has cues that just didn't work out & became a complete loss. Here are a couple of my recent failures.

This one hurt but the cue is simple enough that I can deal with it, just build another. A mineral spot became exposed in the last few cuts & never got cut away before cue was at size.

im glad to know i inspired someone today :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

seriously, i think WE criticize ourselves more than the average joe cuebuyer does

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
im glad to know i inspired someone today :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

seriously, i think WE criticize ourselves more than the average joe cuebuyer does

LOL Inspired me to air my dirty laundry LOL

Yeah, I criticize myself much harder than anybody else could.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
I have never seen a burn like that on a cue.

You're right. I was looking at the pic on my iPhone, I just saw the same pic on a bigger screen. Awesome looking cue... Couldn't you cut a groove and put a wrap on it?

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
You're right. I was looking at the pic on my iPhone, I just saw the same pic on a bigger screen. Awesome looking cue... Couldn't you cut a groove and put a wrap on it?

It's possible. Someday if somebody wants a goncalo P/J with wrap then it might work. But this one is supposed to be BE handle.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
This is an interesting topic that is seldom discussed.

"Caring" is what separates the professionals from the hacks, imo.

This cue was made by one of the bigger names in cuemaking at one time and was finished out for the customer despite the mineral streak appearing. :(

Attachments

• DSC02183.jpg
    DSC02183.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 939

bapage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
flaws

Eric, I am thinking ANYONE would take either of those cues AS IS, just to have a sugartree. I think your work is amazing! Is that buckeye burl in the second cue? Man, when I grow up I want a sugartree!!! lol. Taking pride in what you do shows, and it's easy to tell you take great pride in your work. -Bryan

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
It's possible. Someday if somebody wants a goncalo P/J with wrap then it might work. But this one is supposed to be BE handle.

It's a bummer for sure.
Great work regardless. Wood can really surprise us sometimes.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Eric, I am thinking ANYONE would take either of those cues AS IS, just to have a sugartree. I think your work is amazing! Is that buckeye burl in the second cue? Man, when I grow up I want a sugartree!!! lol. Taking pride in what you do shows, and it's easy to tell you take great pride in your work. -Bryan

Thanks :) I don't mind the mineral spots, personally. It's natural. Just some folks do so it's best to rebuild the cue. I wouldn't have a problem letting the cue go to somebody who knew about the mark & didn't mind it. There's nothing structurally wrong. But this cue was for a dealer & I have no idea where it goes from there, which means somebody might get the cue before they know about the mark & that could cause troubles if they don't like it.

The second cue has a much, much, much less obvious flaw. The burn mark is very faint & small in person. You really have to look for it. Structurally the cue is mint. Even the white specs in the ebony, for all I can tell, are natural & not a deal breaker. The biggest flaw in that cue is the one shaft collar that is a slightly lighter shade, and that can be cured easily with a new shaft or simply stripping and refinishing the shaft. There's not really anything wrong with the cue, but a series of very minor aesthetic flaws make me hesitant to send it out, especially to a buyer who will be showing the cue. So it's a better decision to build a new cue & change it up a little so it's not the same exact cue. In the meantime this one can be worked on in spare time to take care of the issues & it'll be salvageable.

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks :) I don't mind the mineral spots, personally. It's natural. Just some folks do so it's best to rebuild the cue. I wouldn't have a problem letting the cue go to somebody who knew about the mark & didn't mind it. There's nothing structurally wrong. But this cue was for a dealer & I have no idea where it goes from there, which means somebody might get the cue before they know about the mark & that could cause troubles if they don't like it.

I'd be happy to play with that cue...

Seriously, it is non-offensive to me. The second cue is utterly gorgeous. It makes me all tingly in my happy place. :D

That is why you are who you are. There are a ton of people who would love to own either of these cues. Flaws mean someone actually touched it. Perfection is nice but a little flaw adds character.

Thanks for sharing,
Chris

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I'd be happy to play with that cue...

Seriously, it is non-offensive to me. The second cue is utterly gorgeous. It makes me all tingly in my happy place. :D

That is why you are who you are. There are a ton of people who would love to own either of these cues. Flaws mean someone actually touched it. Perfection is nice but a little flaw adds character.

Thanks for sharing,
Chris

Thanks, man. I'm just not comfortable sending something that i'm not absolutely sure the buyer will love it. In this case, the flaw was more pronounced before the cue was finish sanded, but once sanded smooth it was much less noticeable. I'd be surprised if somebody would see it without me pointing it out them & explaining what it was. The original buyer contacted me upon seeing the pics & may want the cue as is. I'm not opposed to that, but wouldn't be bothered if he passed, either. For me it's more about the buyer knowing what they are buying. That's why it's often just easier to build an entirely new cue. The point of the thread was that there's a lot that goes into a cue, and unexpected things happen that delay the build. It's not rare, either. It happens a lot and happens to every builder. But that's a side of cue making nobody ever sees except the builders themselves.

wild8bill9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beauty mark

We have all been given beauty marks but it doesn't effect how we play. Put a price on it Eric, sign above the sugar and let it be played. Both great cues.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
I like my cues like I like my women. Good looking with a few defects. That butterfly is awesome.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I think the mineral spot gives it character, the pointed cue is awesome looking, one of the best looking cues I have seen you do. :smile: