For those who didn't know, Little Joe...

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was doing some early spring cleaning around the house and came across an old, 1984, edition of The National Billiard News. On the cover I found some Elvis impersonator holding up my long time friend, Lil Joe Villalpando. Setting this issue aside as a keeper, I notified the wife that disposal of this issue were grounds for dicorce.

With great interest as to why my little buddy was on the cover, I read the entire article. It seems Lil Joe and his partner, Cheyenne Pete Trujilo, had just won the, Old Milwaukee National 8 ball championships. Reading further, I checked out who his compitition was. The team Joe and Pete beat for first place was comprised of, get these names, Chicago legend, John Abruzzo and his partner, BCA Hall Of Famer, Dallas West. Finishing third were the team of, BCA Hall Of Famer, Ed Kelly and his partner, Billy Incardona.

Other top finishers in this, 326 total Open Division team from all across the country were, BCA Hall Of Famer, Lou Butera and his partner Moro Paez, One Pocket Hall Of Famer, Artie Bodendorfer and his partner Ron Mayes, Jim Fitzpatrick and his partner Jeff Carter, Joe Canella and his partner Jim Blakeman.

For their efforts, Lil Joe and Pete took home top honors and the $20,000 first prize. This was in 1984 dollars folks. Pretty sporty.

So, if any of you guys/gals out there are at all interested in improving your pool game you need to check out Joe's DVDs. There are none better and there is not a better instructor on the planet than Lil Joe.... http://www.pooliq.net/contact.htm

Last edited:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Great stuff Bill. And you know I sure agree about Lil Joe's teaching ability.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
I was doing some early spring cleaning around the house and came across an old, 1984, edition of The National Billiard News. On the cover I found some Elvis impersonator holding up my long time friend, Lil Joe Villalpando. Setting this issue aside as a keeper, I notified the wife that disposal of this issue were grounds for dicorce.

With great interest as to why my little buddy was on the cover, I read the entire article. It seems Lil Joe and his partner, Cheyenne Pete Trujilo, had just won the, Old Milwaukee National 8 ball championships. Reading further, I checked out who his compitition was. The team Joe and Pete beat for first place was comprised of, get these names, Chicago legend, John Abruzzo and his partner, BCA Hall Of Famer, Dallas West. Finishing third were the team of, BCA Hall Of Famer, Ed Kelly and his partner, Billy Incardona.

Other top finishers in this, 326 total Open Division team from all across the country were, BCA Hall Of Famer, Lou Butera and his partner Moro Paez, One Pocket Hall Of Famer, Artie Bodendorfer and his partner Ron Mayes, Jim Fitzpatrick and his partner Jeff Carter, Joe Canella and his partner Jim Blakeman.

For their efforts, Lil Joe and Pete took home top honors and the $20,000 first prize. This was in 1984 dollars folks. Pretty sporty.

So, if any of you guys/gals out there are at all interested in improving your pool game you need to check out Joe's DVDs. There are none better and there is not a better instructor on the planet than Lil Joe.... http://www.pooliq.net/contact.htm

NIce post $Bill.

I was in Colfax Billiards playing Frank Burgess when we got word of Joe and Pete winning this event in Vegas.

Joe and Pete were favorites around that area and the whole place went nuts. Both these guys wre great players and few really knew just what a great all around player Pete was. The man played all games really, really well and drove many road players nuts when they came through Cheyenne.

What amazed me, was that they played so well together being Brothers-in Law. Pete is married to Francis, Joes sister. She can dab it a bit herself.

I furtherly agree with you, Joe is a great instructor and very knowledgable.

One night I wasin a bar in Denver and got into a 9-ball game with some fellow I didn't recognize. I didn't have a lot of cash on me and ran out of dough. I called Joe over at the pool hall and he came over to the bar to loan me some as I ws playing pretty well onthe barbox at the time.

Joe came walking in, saw me and his eyes got as big as coffee cups. Not wanting to knock the other guy Joe said he was too short to help me out. I knew somethingwasup, but I just didn't recognize that I was playing hisbrother-in-law Pete. It was pretty funny watching Joe dancing around like a chicken on a hot tin roof.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing that old photo and story.
thumbsup.gif

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
NIce post $Bill.

I was in Colfax Billiards playing Frank Burgess when we got word of Joe and Pete winning this event in Vegas.

What amazed me, was that they played so well together being Brothers-in Law. Pete is married to Francis, Joes sister. She can dab it a bit herself.

I believe Frank was married to another of Pete's sisters. I know there was some connection and most of the video games in Cheyenne Pete's room came from Frank. When I was in Denver in the 80's for a while, I spent all my time between Colfax and Family Fun Center. I got out of line in a one pocket game with Frank giving him 10/7 and the break. I heard he was good action and tried to outrun it to make a score. The first game he kicked one rail into the rack as hard as he could hit it. I looked at him kind of funny and he said "Just get up there and run ten". I pulled up after a few games. John

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the9ballroller said:
Heard you talk these up elsewhere as well...sold. I just purchased the 2 DVD set.

Thanks $Bill

You will be glad you did, 9ballroller. Joe's videos are done with class. Good luck with your game, unless you run into me down the road, LOL.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully you send a copy to Joe. I have pulled out stuff from the pool room worked at years ago and surprised the "old crew" with the things they forgot about. GREAT find my good man!

R.J.C.33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Stuff

I have been blessed to have get some instruction from Joe. I wasn't sure how it would all go before hand, but after the session I was amazed. His kicking system is just mind blowing. I can get at least a hit on the most crazy of situations now. I have seen and heard of other systems but Joe's is the most accurate that I have ever seen. So far in my young pool life, getting instruction from Joe is the best/smartest thing I have done. It is about time to go back for some more. Anyone that has the opportunity to meet w/ Joe or pick up these DVD's, you will be thankful too. Thanks Joe.

One of the kids in the video is SVB's new running mate, from what I understand. He is only 18 and is on the come up. Joe has worked w/ him for years. That works for me.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Adam on the prowl

Adam is taking a year off between high school and college. One more youngster to be on the lookout for. I have been amazed at the depth of knowledge many young shooters have now. Adam with good eyes and a young body along with years of Joe's knowledge packed into him is downright scary to think about!

Joe's DVD's are favorites of mine also. I'm getting impatient for him to release the next one though. He tells me that there will be several things of great interest on it.

Hu

R.J.C.33 said:
I have been blessed to have get some instruction from Joe. I wasn't sure how it would all go before hand, but after the session I was amazed. His kicking system is just mind blowing. I can get at least a hit on the most crazy of situations now. I have seen and heard of other systems but Joe's is the most accurate that I have ever seen. So far in my young pool life, getting instruction from Joe is the best/smartest thing I have done. It is about time to go back for some more. Anyone that has the opportunity to meet w/ Joe or pick up these DVD's, you will be thankful too. Thanks Joe.

One of the kids in the video is SVB's new running mate, from what I understand. He is only 18 and is on the come up. Joe has worked w/ him for years. That works for me.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Adam is taking a year off between high school and college. One more youngster to be on the lookout for. I have been amazed at the depth of knowledge many young shooters have now. Adam with good eyes and a young body along with years of Joe's knowledge packed into him is downright scary to think about!

Joe's DVD's are favorites of mine also. I'm getting impatient for him to release the next one though. He tells me that there will be several things of great interest on it.

Hu

Another thing I found interesting was this photo. Why would you think Joe and Pete's trophies are smaller than the ladies? I figured it was because the guys got the lions share of the cash???

Last edited:

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Bill,
Last year, Joe PMed me asking if he could get a copy of that NBN that you just posted. Before I could get back with him, he contacted me again and said that someone else was able to get him another copy.
Joe is a great teacher, he has a wonderful reputation and has much to be proud of. But he is a very humble man who is just as happy as can be teaching others the wonders of our great sport.
Here is a copy of a review I posted in July 2007 of his DVD....

Joe Villapando's "Pool I.Q." DVD's
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to share some thoughts on some new DVD's that I watched.
Joe Villapando's "Pool I.Q." dvd's, Vol# 1 "Kick Shots" and Vol# 2 "Cue ball control"....

I've been playing pool for 37 years (since I was 11) and have learned everything I know by just playing and watching others. I've never once had a lesson, formal or otherwise. In the mid 1990's, I started my Accu-Stats collection, which now numbers 275+ tapes and DVDs. My learning really took off by studying (and I do mean STUDYING) these products.

Just from playing hours each day and immersing myself into these videos, I became a fairly accomplished player. I have never, ever posted or said anything about my playing strength on these forums. But for the purpose of proving a point here, I would like to just mention that I have a goal in pool that before I die, I wanted to be able to run out in each discipline in pool. In other words, be able to break and run out in 8 ball, 9 ball, 9 ball banks, one pocket (be able to shoot 8 + out) and 14.1 (150 + out). I am at the speed where I can run out from time to time in each discipline except 14.1, with my high run being only 41. And even at this level, I was able to learn things I never realized before by watching these two DVDs by Little Joe.

I don't know about other players, but my weak area is knowing EXACTLY where whitey will end up after every shot. Speed, angles and english affects position and to be honest, I shoot by instinct a lot. But after watching his dvds, I can understand so much better how to figure out where the cue ball is going. And the kicking dvd is just outstanding. I often "poked & hoped" when in a bad kicking situation, but again, these dvds have given me new ammo to play with.

Each of my us has differing strengths and weaknesses. We all love this great sport. And we all have our own ways of learning. But I am so glad that I got these dvds. Watching and implementing Little Joe's formulas has given my game a little boost in 2 of my weaker areas.

Lastly, the only other things I have ever recommended here on AZB is Accu-Stats, Freddie Bentivegna's books and anything by Grady Mathews.
But these dvds are the real thing in explaining some finer points in our great sport.

Joe is a great man and a wonderful ambassador for pool. I'm very happy that he is starting to receive the much due recognition he richly deserves.

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have purchased the two dvd set and its a must have, some very good info that will win you more money than the cost...

Terry Ardeno said:
Bill,
Last year, Joe PMed me asking if he could get a copy of that NBN that you just posted. Before I could get back with him, he contacted me again and said that someone else was able to get him another copy.
Joe is a great teacher, he has a wonderful reputation and has much to be proud of. But he is a very humble man who is just as happy as can be teaching others the wonders of our great sport.
Here is a copy of a review I posted in July 2007 of his DVD....

Joe Villapando's "Pool I.Q." DVD's
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to share some thoughts on some new DVD's that I watched.
Joe Villapando's "Pool I.Q." dvd's, Vol# 1 "Kick Shots" and Vol# 2 "Cue ball control"....

I've been playing pool for 37 years (since I was 11) and have learned everything I know by just playing and watching others. I've never once had a lesson, formal or otherwise. In the mid 1990's, I started my Accu-Stats collection, which now numbers 275+ tapes and DVDs. My learning really took off by studying (and I do mean STUDYING) these products.

Just from playing hours each day and immersing myself into these videos, I became a fairly accomplished player. I have never, ever posted or said anything about my playing strength on these forums. But for the purpose of proving a point here, I would like to just mention that I have a goal in pool that before I die, I wanted to be able to run out in each discipline in pool. In other words, be able to break and run out in 8 ball, 9 ball, 9 ball banks, one pocket (be able to shoot 8 + out) and 14.1 (150 + out). I am at the speed where I can run out from time to time in each discipline except 14.1, with my high run being only 41. And even at this level, I was able to learn things I never realized before by watching these two DVDs by Little Joe.

I don't know about other players, but my weak area is knowing EXACTLY where whitey will end up after every shot. Speed, angles and english affects position and to be honest, I shoot by instinct a lot. But after watching his dvds, I can understand so much better how to figure out where the cue ball is going. And the kicking dvd is just outstanding. I often "poked & hoped" when in a bad kicking situation, but again, these dvds have given me new ammo to play with.

Each of my us has differing strengths and weaknesses. We all love this great sport. And we all have our own ways of learning. But I am so glad that I got these dvds. Watching and implementing Little Joe's formulas has given my game a little boost in 2 of my weaker areas.

Lastly, the only other things I have ever recommended here on AZB is Accu-Stats, Freddie Bentivegna's books and anything by Grady Mathews.
But these dvds are the real thing in explaining some finer points in our great sport.

Joe is a great man and a wonderful ambassador for pool. I'm very happy that he is starting to receive the much due recognition he richly deserves.

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jrhendy said:
I believe Frank was married to another of Pete's sisters. I know there was some connection and most of the video games in Cheyenne Pete's room came from Frank. When I was in Denver in the 80's for a while, I spent all my time between Colfax and Family Fun Center. I got out of line in a one pocket game with Frank giving him 10/7 and the break. I heard he was good action and tried to outrun it to make a score. The first game he kicked one rail into the rack as hard as he could hit it. I looked at him kind of funny and he said "Just get up there and run ten". I pulled up after a few games. John

You know,I know there is someconnection there but just can't remember the details. You could very well be right.

That Frank isgood action and a real gentleman to gamble with, but I always struggled with him. He matched up pretty tough and played real hard. I always said he got a lot done with little to work with.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
You know,I know there is someconnection there but just can't remember the details. You could very well be right.

That Frank isgood action and a real gentleman to gamble with, but I always struggled with him. He matched up pretty tough and played real hard. I always said he got a lot done with little to work with.

Pete is married to Lil Joe's sister. Frank is not married and hasn't been married to Pete's sister but they are very good friends and Pete does have some of Frank's machines in his place. I never met Frank but like you guys have said, I have heard nothing but good things about his heart and ease to gamble with.

iapoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow.....

$Bill....I had a chat with Lil Joe tonight ...I told Him he needs some of that stuff to darken his musatce...LOL He told me the story about how that picture came about....he said that Elvis impersonator was about 6' 5....he hosited Joe up like a rag doll...Thanks for the great post...Terry

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe is a great guy and super instructor! The DVDs are the nuts. I sent Joe that copy of the NBN a couple of months back.