found a bunch of players pictures

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
You just made my day macguy! Great pics and a lot of work to put this together.
I cant believe how many times Colorado was mentioned...must of been a happening place a few years back:cool:

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stuff. It was great to see a pic of Stan 'Canadian Stan' Tourangeau in the mix. Looked to me like Dennis Orcullo is seated in the background.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking up something today and came across a bunch of players pictures someone posted. The captions seem wrong on many of them but they are interesting never the less. One picture of Tommy 'Staten Island' Halliday really brought back memories.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=en&tbm=isch&um=1&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CCwQrQMwAA

Thank you very much for this, i just spent 3 hours of reading enjoyment thanks to you!

Rod was-is a very sharp man in all aspects of life.

He has his shit together and could really play!

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Canadian Stan. Rich "The hat" and Bob Ogburn are three I have watched many times. Rich G has a phenomenal stroke and I can only imagine how tough he was years ago. When these three were firing on all eight it was something to see!:cool:

nightmare

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you all know...

99% of the pool photos on Rod Curry's website were either taken by me, are owned by me or have been given to me by the owners of the photos to share in my Facebook Wall of Fame photo albums and the website I have been working on for two years. I realized that when I posted these photos that some people were going to copy them. I didn't have a problem with that. What I didn't consider is that Curry would steal hundreds of them & use them on his own personal website and pass them off as his own.

Since I started posting the old pool photos on my Facebook page, I have received many requests for the use of the photos. All I & the people that have given me these photos ask is that credit be given for each & every photo that is used. When I first found out Curry had taken them, I asked him to at least put captions underneath each one crediting the owners of the photos. He couldn't even be bothered to do that - just took the lazy way out & wrote on the top of the page that they came from my wall.

The reason that his captions do not make sense is that he is talking about when he played these people. They have nothing to do with the photo other than being of the person that he claims he played.

I have asked him to not to use my photos & his response was to remove the link. How Macguy stumbled across my photos again is a mystery to me unless Curry has put up another site that I don't know about.

Because of Curry, I have been forced to lock the 25 Wall of Fame albums containing over 5000 photos that I have posted on Facebook & only open them to friends by request.

I am looking forward to launching my website, BilliardArchives.com, in mid-summer. It will showcase over 15,000 photos I have amassed over the years in addition to other items of interest.

Mary Kenniston

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you all know...

99% of the pool photos on Rod Curry's website were either taken by me, are owned by me or have been given to me by the owners of the photos to share in my Facebook Wall of Fame photo albums and the website I have been working on for two years. I realized that when I posted these photos that some people were going to copy them. I didn't have a problem with that. What I didn't consider is that Curry would steal hundreds of them & use them on his own personal website and pass them off as his own.

Since I started posting the old pool photos on my Facebook page, I have received many requests for the use of the photos. All I & the people that have given me these photos ask is that credit be given for each & every photo that is used. When I first found out Curry had taken them, I asked him to at least put captions underneath each one crediting the owners of the photos. He couldn't even be bothered to do that - just took the lazy way out & wrote on the top of the page that they came from my wall.

The reason that his captions do not make sense is that he is talking about when he played these people. They have nothing to do with the photo other than being of the person that he claims he played.

I have asked him to not to use my photos & his response was to remove the link. How Macguy stumbled across my photos again is a mystery to me unless Curry has put up another site that I don't know about.

Because of Curry, I have been forced to lock the 25 Wall of Fame albums containing over 5000 photos that I have posted on Facebook & only open them to friends by request.

I am looking forward to launching my website, BilliardArchives.com, in mid-summer. It will showcase over 15,000 photos I have amassed over the years in addition to other items of interest.

Mary Kenniston

I look forward to seeing them. I noticed on the link (to Rod's site) there would be some captions for guys that I knew, then no picture. These photos are great, good luck on your new site.

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear MacGuy--

I saw these pictures a while back in a thread about Surfer Ron. The most interesting of them for me is the one in black and white that shows Bill Staton stretched out over the table. At left in the background is a young man in a white shirt with a cigarette hanging from his lips, and who seems to be Staton's opponent. If I am not mistaken, that is one of the very few pictures of Eugene Clement Metz ("Clem" or "Cincinnati Clem"). I know of only one other picutre of Clem and that one, also, shows him in the background.

If it is Clem, I hope Staton was getting an appropriately strong spot.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you all know...

Mary Kenniston

Hi
I am sorry I caused such a problem. I came across the pictures when I googled the name Big Bob Ogburn. That is what popped up.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Looking forward to seeing those Mary, these are a treasure. Makes me wish I could go back.

JAM??

Mike%20Sigel%2086%20Slvr-Sprgs.jpg

Heeey, that's Hemicudas!

William%20Bell%20Dollar%20Bill%20Jackson.jpg

There's an actor who looks just like this, and now I'm gonna go nuts remembering the name.

Denny%20Searcy%20Houston%20+%20Okla%20City%20+%20Nc.jpg

I'm gonna be honest, at first glance I thought this was a young karen corr.

Dan%20Louie.jpg

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good eye, Creedo. I had a couple PMs about this link. That is me, all right. I was the TD at the 1986 Maryland State Championship, and Sigel won it. That's Cigar Tom Vanover in the background, between me and Sigel.

We only let Maryland State residents in the tournament. The entry fee, if memory serves me right -- [have a poster downstairs by my pool table] -- subject to check, was $125. I disseminated the posters all over Maryland, to every pool room I could find. :D

A couple days before the tournamaent, we were still short players, and I got a phone call from a gentleman who said, "I'd like to know if there are still some spots open." I said, "Sure. What's your name?" He goes, "Mike Sigel." I'm like, "Uh, okay. Are you a Maryland State resident?" He says, "Yep." :eek:

After that, when I told everybody he was coming, the slots filled up almost instanteously. People wanted to get in the tournament hoping to get a shot to play against him. This was 1986 in the prime of "The Color of Money," which was just released.:wink:

The day of the event, Mike pulls up in his car, with license plates that say "CAPT HOOK." Somebody in the front of the pool room yells out, "He's here. He's here." :grin-square:

We didn't get too many pool celebrities in our pool room, so this was a treat.

I have a scanner now. I should scan these, but here's a few more pics. That's Geese and Mike Sigel's girlfriend at that time talking to me. She had a cameo shot in TCOM, playing the waitress in one scene and racking balls in another.

Attachments

• Geese, JAM, SIgel, and Sigel girlfriend.jpg
    Geese, JAM, SIgel, and Sigel girlfriend.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 862
Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's an actor who looks just like this, and now I'm gonna go nuts remembering the name.

Denny%20Searcy%20Houston%20+%20Okla%20City%20+%20Nc.jpg

You had me wondering, and while I'm working, it just came to me. Could it be Jon Lovitz of SNL fame?

Attachments

• jonlovitz.jpg
    jonlovitz.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 389

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or, in the alternative, Cheech of Cheech and Chong fame! :cool:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 375

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Hi
I am sorry I caused such a problem. I came across the pictures when I googled the name Big Bob Ogburn. That is what popped up.

That thread "unknown monster players". He is the number 1 spot imo. Monster player, and was good at laying low obviously. Most I have asked, did not know much about him. Talk about under the radar... One of my good friends who is a bit older than me grew up with him (someone that has seen ALL the greats play for the last 30 years), and said he could go around with any of them back then.
There was one thread here where someone posted there was a match of him schooling Rempe at http://propoolvideo.com/ Just not checked it out yet.

nightmare

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The photo Tobermory is referencing is one of a group of photos that Beenie gave me when I opened Cue-Topia in '88. He identified all the photos for me by writing on the backs of each one. The man standing with the cigarette in his mouth is Harry Petros. The men sitting on the bench are Don Watson, Joey Spaeth, Craig Stevens & Billy Mullins. This is from the Cue Club at the '64 Johnston City, IL tournament. The Cue Club was a separate building where a lot of the action took place while the tournament was in progress.

When I had the pool room, players would sometimes come in that I didn't have any photos of so I'd ask if they'd mind me taking their picture. Clem came in sometime in the very early '90s but wouldn't let me get a photo..:) I even promised not to put it up with the other hundreds on my walls & would only show it after his passing but he wasn't going for it. :) I have one very fuzzy one of Johnny Irish & Clem that was taken by Beenie - it's among a huge batch that I'm trying to get cleaned up for the website.

Macguy - the photo of Tommy Halliday & I was taken at the '86 PPPA World 14.1 in Philadelphia, PA & was taken for me by Peter "Rabbit" Linhard. Tommy was my closest friend in my early forays into the pool subculture. He took me under his wing, made it his mission to smarten me up & made sure I didn't get snapped off! He was one of the funniest people I've ever known in a world populated by characters & I miss him every single day.

JAM! Get that scanner primed & give Keith a hug for me & save one for yourself! I know you're busy but give me a call when you get a chance...;)

Last edited:

Ed Wiggins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clem

Tom Shaw's "Legends of the Road" in the Oct. 2008 Pool&Billiard Magazine has good pictures of Clem Metz.

EW