Freddy the beard has left us

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Terrible news. Shocking and terrible.
I will keep all of Freddy's loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.

You will be missed by tons of people who have had the opportunity to meet you along the way, but will be remembered by millions in the future who will have the opportunity to learn how unique a person you are, through your wonderful banking insights and recent writings.

RIP Freddy.

Will Prout

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
To his friends and family, I am sorry for your loss.

To the pool world, we should all be sorry for this loss.

I only spoke to Freddy one time, at the DCC, and he was very gracious. We had a few disagreements here on the interwebs but when we met each other face to face, it was all good.
Freddy had this sheepless look on his face when I introduced myself but we both told each other that it was ok to agree to disagree.
I bought his book and made him sign it "to the best banker he ever met"

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
RIP Mr. Mr. Bentivegna.....I've enjoyed every post you've ever made here. Thanks.

Jim

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an accustats dvd of Efren playing one pocket at derby city on which Freddy was doing commentary. Freddy was trying to plug his book but Efren kept running out so fast Freddy hardly got a chance to talk about his book.

I never met him but I'll miss him.

Samdech

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddie was a living caricature and quite the character anyone who knew him understands. A quick Freddie story, he was arguing about a rule in banks, he ended the argument by telling the guy and I quote " they know who I am in Iraq, they don't you on Halsted " We all started laughing and that was the end of the argument. He was one of a kind,I will miss bustin his balls! Rest peacefully Freddie.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samdech...Great story, and true too! LOL I knew Freddy for more than 25 years, and have always loved hearing his stories, and listening to commentary. When Fred's first book came out, I sold more than 100 copies for him around the country during my travels. I told anybody who would listen, "If you play pool for money, you need to own this book!" I still feel that way. RIP Beard...you're still the best! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Freddie was a living caricature and quite the character anyone who knew him understands. A quick Freddie story, he was arguing about a rule in banks, he ended the argument by telling the guy and I quote " they know who I am in Iraq, they don't you on Halsted " We all started laughing and that was the end of the argument. He was one of a kind,I will miss bustin his balls! Rest peacefully Freddie.

The world of pool is certainly diminished by Freddy's loss. He was a wonderful storyteller and knew much of the history of the game. He will be missed terribly by many who knew him or even interacted online or through e-mails. He was one-of-a-kind.

R.I.P. Freddy.

ONB

tedantle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddy, I will miss you holding court at Red Shoes when ever you were there. Please say Hi to George for me.

With love and fond memories.

Ted

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Answer to ChicagoRJ question as to who is sitting on table in photo. That is my Dad Eddie Laube Jr. Sandy

Thanks.... He sure looks a lot like a guy named John Browne that hung at Freddy's place, North Shore Billiards Club....He was an older guy, and one of the nicer fella's around.... never knew what happened to him ;(

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks.... He sure looks a lot like a guy named John Browne that hung at Freddy's place, North Shore Billiards Club....He was an older guy, and one of the nicer fella's around.... never knew what happened to him ;(

RJ.....I believe that you and Sandy must be talking about two different pictures....I knew Sandy's dad Eddie (and btw, I still have my beautiful high-level 48 yr. old Laube cue) and I also knew the very nice oldster, John Brown...and RJ, in the picture that you referenced, sitting on the bench sweating Freddy's game, that is indeed, John Brown.

- Ghost

SANDY LAUBE

Registered
Maybe you are right that it is Mr. Browne. I have pictures from my Dad from that time period and he looks just like that. He even has glasses like that! Plus it was his trademark to set up camera and have his picture taken with famous people. Will show photo to relatives to see what they think. Sandy

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
RJ.....I believe that you and Sandy must be talking about two different pictures....I knew Sandy's dad Eddie (and btw, I still have my beautiful high-level 48 yr. old Laube cue) and I also knew the very nice oldster, John Brown...and RJ, in the picture that you referenced, sitting on the bench sweating Freddy's game, that is indeed, John Brown.

- Ghost

Wow... thanks Bruce... I'm usually pretty good with faces, and that is one I have not seen in at least 35 years.... I'm sure he's long gone by now, but he was a heck of nice guy. I'm sure Brownie is sweating another Beard match right now :)