gambling and robbing an intoxicated person-moral values-rationalizations

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually saw him play when he was stone cold sober one afternoon. While playing sober he was very much a gentleman and a timid gentleman at that. Put a glass of beer in his hand and then cover your ears and stay out of his way or he might fall on you---and he is a very big guy. Obnoxious does not begin to describe his demeanor when he is not 100% sober. :eek:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Vagabond... you are a ethical man.

I'd sure like to take him off but I don't think I could rationalize it without having first imbibed SEVERAL drinks. Nothing like alcohol to silence the conscience. :groucho:

jersey jer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I do not really see a problem with it. He is still responsible for his own actions, drunk or not. If he makes the decision to get drunk knowing that he's gonna go off, then drinks and goes off, and is an A-hole about it... If you make the decision to get blasted you caused all the results. I've been known to put down quite a few and play some. sometimes i hit my "booze stroke" and sometimes i go past that point and crumble.. youll never hear me cry about it if i lose some that way.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
The Loud Drunk Rich Man!

I don't condone taking advantage of drunks while gambling or otherwise, but in this case the guy came in and got what he was LQQKing for a "Highjacking of his Wallet"

If your mad at your money you don't need any!:eek:

David Harcrow

Jayson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He came in the room running his mouth and yelling things to everyone. He is also rich. I would've taken every nickel he had then sent him home to get more. Maybe the money would not have hurt him but maybe he would learn a lesson about getting drunk and running his mouth.

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes alcohol aint a factor !

I've seen some of the most impressive pool in my life played by a leaning on the table,can't stand up Scotty Townsend...Dave Matlock use to play purdy sporty too drunk as a skunk.

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Question is, could the rich guy give the challenger 10-6 if he was sober and win! If so, then their is no problem in my book. What if the rich guy was stone sober and offered you the 5 out in 9-ball when you could beat him even, would you take the bet? If anyone is stupid enough to make the bets it's their own fault. I've played when I was to drunk knowing better but still did it and the next day said how stupid it was. We all have made stupid decisions and regretted it later, drunk or sober. Just hope we learn from our mistakes. Gamblers are gamblers and that's it, rich or not.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way never liked him disturbing the whole place.
I spoke metaphorically and symbolically when I mentioned that it was like having sex with a five year old child and I did not mean it literally.Five year old child is helpless and is legally not competent to provide consent. A person completely intoxicated,staggering,standing at the table and falling into sleep instead of shooting the ball is no different than a child with respect to the judgement and competency.So some of u guys should not take it literally about the sex with a child. Next time I will be carefull not to use metaphors and figuratives.
I do understand that he asked for it and he wanted to gamble.But he was not of sound mind.
Many many years ago I beat a guy in 9 ball for small amount-20 $ and this guy looked like an adult.Few minutes after that I learned that he was a minor (18 year old) and I immediately returned his money.

One poster mentioned about the liability of the bar tender that served the alcohol.I call it a vicarious liability and in some states they do have laws holding the bar tender responsible for the behavior of the customer.One time a legendary pool player asked me to buy him a drink.I did not want to be held liable for this legend`s soon to be intoxicated state and hence I refused to buy him a drink.

I just wanted to hear from people what they thought about that episode.For those who disagreed with me- it is OK with me and I can live with that .we should be able to express our disagreements as long as we do it in a civilized manner. I am a huge big fan of 'freedom of speech'.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
circumstances

Gambling with a drunk depends a lot on the circumstances as to how I feel about somebody doing it. Somebody that plays with this loudmouth that comes trying to lose some money to get the attention he craves is one thing. Going over and badgering the drunk at the bar into a bad bet after you have watched him getting plastered would be something totally different.

Hu

By the way never liked him disturbing the whole place.
I spoke metaphorically and symbolically when I mentioned that it was like having sex with a five year old child and I did not mean it literally.Five year old child is helpless and is legally not competent to provide consent. A person completely intoxicated,staggering,standing at the table and falling into sleep instead of shooting the ball is no different than a child with respect to the judgement and competency.So some of u guys should not take it literally about the sex with a child. Next time I will be carefull not to use metaphors and figuratives.
I do understand that he asked for it and he wanted to gamble.But he was not of sound mind.
Many many years ago I beat a guy in 9 ball for small amount-20 $ and this guy looked like an adult.Few minutes after that I learned that he was a minor (18 year old) and I immediately returned his money.

One poster mentioned about the liability of the bar tender that served the alcohol.I call it a vicarious liability and in some states they do have laws holding the bar tender responsible for the behavior of the customer.One time a legendary pool player asked me to buy him a drink.I did not want to be held liable for this legend`s soon to be intoxicated state and hence I refused to buy him a drink.

I just wanted to hear from people what they thought about that episode.For those who disagreed with me- it is OK with me and I can live with that .we should be able to express our disagreements as long as we do it in a civilized manner. I am a huge big fan of 'freedom of speech'.

Milo

NPL CHIX, WE DID IT!!!!!
Silver Member
Gambling with a drunk depends a lot on the circumstances as to how I feel about somebody doing it. Somebody that plays with this loudmouth that comes trying to lose some money to get the attention he craves is one thing. Going over and badgering the drunk at the bar into a bad bet after you have watched him getting plastered would be something totally different.

Hu

Very Good Point Hu!!!!
BTW, Have a Happy Easter!!:smile:

Take Care,
A

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen some of the most impressive pool in my life played by a leaning on the table,can't stand up Scotty Townsend...Dave Matlock use to play purdy sporty too drunk as a skunk.

I never saw scotty getting drunk and not being in control of himslef even though he starts it when the pool room opens it`s bar at 10 or 11am.Scotty only gets buzz but not intoxicated.I do not know anything about Dave matlock`s drinking.

how is the waffle house in Houma? It`s restroom is the cleanest of all the waffle houses in the country.

Last edited:

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
With no prior knowledege of this dude I would have ran him for a few bucks and let him be....

If knew he was an ASShat as the OP plays it.. I would have took every cent I could lay my crubby lil hands on.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

I see your point and that is how everybody here on AZB appears to be feeling about the situation.
I bet some body is already packing his bag to come down to las Vegas.Las Vegas welcomes every gambler.That rich man will play every man that comes here.

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never saw scotty getting drunk and not in control of himslef even though he starts it when the pool room opens it`s bar at 10 or 11am.Scotty only gets buzz but not intoxicated.I do not know anything about Dave matlock`s drinking.

how is the waffle house in Houma? It`s restroom is the cleanest of all the waffle houses in the country.

I got a story bout Scotty coming to the Sports Palace inNew Orleans bout 20 years ago & was about to play lil Sal giving him the 6 & the last 4....Lil Sal thought he was going to put a move on Scotty & bought him a half gallon of whiskey & said he would be back later to play him that way...Lil Sal pulls back up to the palace hours later & sees Scotty passed out on the picnic table outside with a empty bottle...to hear Sal tell the story it's hilarious..HE said when he pulled up & saw that he started jumpin up n down saying to himself...I GOT HIM NOW !!!! said he went over there & woke him up..saying come on get ur @ss up lets go do this...Sal said Scotty couldn't even stand straight without leaning on the table...Said HE didn't miss a ball & robbed Sal out of thousands...Coming with shot after shot....saying I HIT THAT ONE PRETTY WELL DIDN'T I...Sal still says when asked about it...I CAN'T BELIEVE I WOKE THAT MAN UP TO TAKE ALL MY MONEY...lmao

AS far as the waffle house...we go there sometimes late night after 2:00..after a tourney..it's not a bad place....gotta love them allstar breakfast's..lol

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
I got a story bout Scotty coming to the Sports Palace inNew Orleans bout 20 years ago & was about to play lil Sal giving him the 6 & the last 4....Lil Sal thought he was going to put a move on Scotty & bought him a half gallon of whiskey & said he would be back later to play him that way...Lil Sal pulls back up to the palace hours later & sees Scotty passed out on the picnic table outside with a empty bottle...to hear Sal tell the story it's hilarious..HE said when he pulled up & saw that he started jumpin up n down saying to himself...I GOT HIM NOW !!!! said he went over there & woke him up..saying come on get ur @ss up lets go do this...Sal said Scotty couldn't even stand straight without leaning on the table...Said HE didn't miss a ball & robbed Sal out of thousands...Coming with shot after shot....saying I HIT THAT ONE PRETTY WELL DIDN'T I...Sal still says when asked about it...I CAN'T BELIEVE I WOKE THAT MAN UP TO TAKE ALL MY MONEY...lmao

AS far as the waffle house...we go there sometimes late night after 2:00..after a tourney..it's not a bad place....gotta love them allstar breakfast's..lol

Good plan ... until he left

You gotta watch the dude down the bottle....

That hustle got hustled.....

At the very least you need to witness the dude getting tanked...
esp if it is Scotty... that dudes need at least two bottels more than what you think he needs...:cool:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Guys,

One thing that has not been made clear is this guy comes in stone sober. He plays for hours very, very sporty. Once he asks for a drink, its like the snow here in Upstate New York. It just doesn't stop. He's a character. He also has a disease that will kill him if he continues drinking and he knows it. Like Vagabond, I have some compassion for the guy. If presented with the opportunity to lighten his load, I wonder how I will react. I wish I was absolutely certain! Too easy to be morally correct right now.

Lyn

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The incident I saw yesterday shook me up and I left the place while the drama was still going on. I was saddend to see an intoxicated man taken advantage of. I am not mentioning the name of this player and many regulars to the cue club in Las Vegas know the name of this individual. He is a rich man and a very strong player both in one pocket and 9 ball and usually others negotiate with him for spot.He says that money is nothing for him and it is only 00000s to him.After 2 weeks he returned to the pool room and his presence was immediately made known by his loud utterences on top of his voice.he started with his usual shouts of profanity including telling the people to s.. his....d etc.He had 4 men and one women accompany and I later found out that he met them in a local bar and brought them with him. I do not think that he knows that they are gangsters.In the begining it was amusing to listen to his utterances on top of his voice with now and then roaring like a Lion, howling like a keyote etc.The show began and the people started gathering around the table 7 & 8.There were nearly 25 sweaters around.Everybody knows it is a pay day to everybody and some will go home with thousands of $.There was a pool league tournament was also going on there that time. There was lot of woofing and lots of hundred dollar bills thrown on the table and lots of debates,arguments between the challengers and this rich man.The people that came in with this rich man were west side gangsters ' Bloods ' and except I and my friend no one in the room knows that those guys are ' Bloods'. One guy entered into flipping the coin contest with the rich man and this guy quickly won three flips in a row for huge amount and then left the place to return later.After 2-3 hours woofing,profanity finally one guy matched uo to play one pocket game race to three.The rich man gave the guy a spot 10-7.The rich man was staggering and few times fell on the next table.several time when it was his turn to shoot he left the cue on the table stands there leaning on the table and sleeps for 30 seconds to a minute and then wakes up and shoots .He then asks the rail for side bets of 1000 $.The story goes on.I could not take it and left the place.

IN MY OPINION ,taking the money from totally intoxicated person is like having sex with a 5 year old child or with a dead person.It is wrong.
I also BELIEVE that gambling with a minor can and will be construed as 'contributing to the delinquency of a minor'.It is wrong.:angry:

Although I would not do it, I also have a limited amount of sympathy for the victim. Also I think Vegas would disagree with you. They make a point to get the suckers drunk.