GC4 vs washing machine

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
I came home tonight to find that my washing machine on the first floor had flooded the laundry room, and of course my pristine Gold Crown 4 is in the basement directly underneath it . . . :( There were probably 50-100 gallons of water that were pored directly on the bed of the table. What do you think the result will be? How does this much water affect the slate, rails, and frame? Will this table ever play right again? If no, then I assume I'll be filing an insurance claim. This is a bad day for Mr Hoppe.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
table

-

---
-
-
-
_
just my suggestion..
sorry to hear about your table..
good luck
-
Rob.m

Last edited:

Dartman

Silver Member
If the water ran off it might not be a total loss. As a minimum the cloth is probably toast.
I'd give it all time to dry out and then evaluate but probably best to get a claim on file with you ins. company.
JMO

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
lather , rinse , repeat . . .

. . . .had to throw that out there . Sadly , you have an expensive problem .
More correctly , your insurance company has an expensive problem .
bet RKC has a solution , though . PM him . . .

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I came home tonight to find that my washing machine on the first floor had flooded the laundry room, and of course my pristine Gold Crown 4 is in the basement directly underneath it . . . :( There were probably 50-100 gallons of water that were pored directly on the bed of the table. What do you think the result will be? How does this much water affect the slate, rails, and frame? Will this table ever play right again? If no, then I assume I'll be filing an insurance claim. This is a bad day for Mr Hoppe.

Depending on how wet the bottom side of the rails got, what'll happen is the wood will absorb the water and curl up from the bottom side...meaning they'll no longer be flat bottomed. Second thing that'll happen...is if the water dripped over the edges of the slate to the slate backer boards...which are made out of MDF...expect them to start growing in thickness...which will result in your slate moving upwards everwhere it swells. Then...depending on how wet the rails got...they're finger jointed together...but not with water resistant glue...so expect them to start spreading apart at the finger joints. If the let pedistals got real wet...you can expect the wood panels...to start splitting upwards from the bottom up.

But...who knows...I wouldn't bet against it though...contact the insurance company, make sure you have the reciept as to what you paid for your table though...as they'll only be interested in replacing the "current" market value of the table...not the replacement cost...with a newer table like a GC5...for a damaged GC4;)

Glen

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please do some research before you make a claim due to water damage. Your insurance rates might go up. Also, I believe the insurance companies have a register for houses with past water damage so you might not escape the high rates by switching companies. They are very concerned about black mold. It's the latest lottery winnings for class action lawyers.

I had a similar problem. The dishwasher float valve stuck. My wife loaded the dishwasher and went back to sleep. Luckily, I had started my basement remodel and had all the dry wall and flooring out. The slates for my Olhausen was all that was left of the table in the basement. The water poured over them straight from the straiway.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
One slate seam has started to become uneven, and just a little visible water damage around the ball box is the extent so far, but it's still drying. I put a fan directly on the bed and will be moving it around today.

Dartman

Silver Member
If the bed cloth got flooded you may as well pull it off since it will be toast.
Take the rails off if you can so they can dry faster.

Dartman

Silver Member
Never have altho I have heard of it done. Don't know the results but fresh cloth is the better option.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
My Grandmother had a thing about ALWAYS turning off the water to the washer when it wasn't being used. I guess she wasn't as crazy as I thought. Wish she had a Gold Crown though..