Gender test for any first place over $199......

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Is it though?
Cite some examples of when this happened.
Seems to me you're searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Seems to me you're putting one particular member on blast.
Grow up.
Any Olympic Games with the Russians competing.

PoppaSaun

Banned
At pool, maybe, but he doesn't have the legs for it.
Sure men are physically stronger, but this isn't something that requires weight lifting.
Women are typically smarter, that would seem to me to be more important than
physical strength playing pool. Still, I can't figure out why, at the pro level, the men seem
to be generally better than the women or why skills seem to begin to diminish when you
reach the age of about 40 or 45.

I think if you remove the gender component in a short time the women would catch up
and play would be pretty even.

Personally, I think a gender test for any prize won in any amount would lead to some
very embarrassing moments for some of us, particularly the men that might support
something like this. Revealing yourself as the guy that finished 4th in a ladies tournament,
or the guy that finished behind 2 or 3 (or more) women in a men's tournament.

Now, I get beat all the time so it wouldn't bother me but some guys might
just give up the game.

It doesn't require a ton of strength to play pool, but that doesn't mean that having more strength won't help. It's like driving a porsche versus a vw bug. The bug is going to be taxed going sixty, but the porsche will barely be breathing. More strength is helpful throughout the spectrum.

Next there is simply the talent pool. I think we can all agree that waaaay more men play pool than women. Thus, there is a much greater chance that the best natural male talent is playing than there is that the best female talent is playing. There are likely many women who have never played more than a handful of games who would have been amazing players. The same can be said for men, but to a lesser extent.

Then you add in the fact that men generally have better straight-on vision while women have better peripheral vision. This comes from when the men hunted and the women gathered. This is a likely reason that skills diminish at middle age. I have had perfect vision all my life, but my eyes have started focusing slower.

There really are huge differences between the sexes that skew the performance level. I thoroughly believe that a woman like Karen Corr who is close to able to stand with the top men is an anomaly we likely won't see again in the next 20 years.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With subsequent talk and recent talk about gender roles in various tourneys I honestly think we need SOME KIND OF STANDARD. Otherwise, me and others might just go put a dress on and cash in.Valid question / subject - what say you?

Depending upon who is conducting the test this could be a big boost for pool.

Test Me! Test Me!

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Themselves. It's no one else's business.

I appreciate how passionate you are about this, but it can't be like that. There are many people that are looking for ways to exploit things. There has to be some form of regulation.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better be on the look out for these drag hustlers, coming to a women's tournament soon

IMG_0271.JPG

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Women are typically smarter, .

That's been proven somewhere? Must have missed the article or research on this one. I don't care one way or the other, but is this a "fact" or one lone opinion from a pool guy on the internet ?

PoppaSaun

Banned
That's been proven somewhere? Must have missed the article or research on this one. I don't care one way or the other, but is this a "fact" or one lone opinion from a pool guy on the internet ?

Cello is full of it. There is very little overall difference of intelligence in men and women.

Men do tend to have much higher spatial intelligence which measures the ability to visualize shapes, angles, and patterns.

Hmmmm

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I appreciate how passionate you are about this, but it can't be like that. There are many people that are looking for ways to exploit things. There has to be some form of regulation.

I get the exploitation point and I do not disagree. I just don't think demonizing or humiliating a person, just to find out if they are biologically as they claim, is the best approach. It's a lady's tourney so let the ladies figure it out and decide what they will. That's all I am saying.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get the exploitation point and I do not disagree. I just don't think demonizing or humiliating a person, just to find out if they are biologically as they claim, is the best approach. It's a lady's tourney so let the ladies figure it out and decide what they will. That's all I am saying.

I agree completely. That tour has nothing to do with me, so I would expect the ladies organization to handle things appropriately. I just can't stand people who hide behind sensitive issues for personal gain.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Men do tend to have much higher spatial intelligence which measures the ability to visualize shapes, angles, and patterns.

Hmmmm

Nah, the differences are very small, and distributional, i.e., tons of men have worse spatial abilities than tons of women, even if the average male scores are slightly higher than the average female score.

The only large gender differences in behavior are in sexuality (men are total sluts) and aggression, which are both linked to testosterone.

Maybe any pool-playing gender differences are related to aggression, in terms of competitiveness, rather any kind of innate skill.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Pool has much more to worry about than gender questions. If big money/purse, gets hustled, the women will handle it fast. Johnnyt

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I'm all for sensitivity with someone who is dealing with this. But I disagree that they should be allowed to compete as a female if they were born male. I don't see it as humiliating them. I feel that it should be our place to accept their choices and show some compassion, but it should also be their place to understand that they are the outlier, and there are certain things they will not fit into.

And you disagree with someone allowed to compete as a male if they were born female? Should we pull down the pants of every winner of every tournament, just to be sure?

If you don't think checking the winner's gender (trans or no) isn't humiliating, then I don't even know what to tell you. If someone pulls down my pants, they're gonna do more than look at it.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Women are not going to idly stand by & allow some scumbag dress up in attempt to rob them. They will, however, show tolerance and acceptance to a legit transgender. You don't have to understand it, just accept that it is what it is and acknowledge that you're dealing with a fellow human being. IMO, it's a bit chauvinistic to assume women cannot handle these situations on their own, and even more so to feel the need to gender check a player. Take a person born of one gender, living as another, attempting to participate in life as normally as possible, and humiliate them for being different. Cause irreparable emotional trauma for $200. All over a pool game?

Point being, women players do not need a knight in shining armor. Let women manage women's pool. Observe if you like, but otherwise stay out of it. Respectfully so.

Perfectly said.