Great unknown roadies

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fountain Inn Red

The best I remember is Reds tournaments around north and south carolina I played in everyone I could get to, and seems like every time I played Red first I think he was picking a easy 1st match. I slipped up on him at one of his last tournaments in first round and got a big lead while he was running his mouth to Tony Watson about a new cue,when he looked at the score he wanted to know how many diamonds I was moving my coin each time I won a game. Luckily several people watching told him that while he wasent paying attention I had broke and ran 3 and made the 9 twice on the break so I didn't get to rack no more for myself but I did beat him 1 time which was yhe highlight of my career so far as he was real sneaky and good all at once. The part I'll never forget is his cue raffle every tourney he would have a couple preety young girls sell raffle tickets real cheap like 10 bucks for 20 tickets, He'd say were raffling off a nice cue and NEW case ,well a oldtimer won the stick and hollered at red this cue aint new and ol red said I said new case but I'll give you a hundred bucks if you had ruther have that. Red bought it back and I know of at least 5 more times he raffled the same cue and allways tried to buy it back. He was alot of fun to be around and I miss him and his tourneys.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thepavlos said:
The story I heard about Nick was that when Rodney Morris first went on the road and came to New England he was told that he should avoid him.

Rodney played in a tournament in Providence,RI in 1992 and I drew him in my first round.If my memory serves me well,in the finals of that tournament Nick beat Zuglan.I do not remember what place Rodny got.After that Rodny won the Amateur National 9 Ball championship.Around 1993/94 Nick passed away from what I heard , was from a Brain Tumor.He was a very great player.

sicbinature

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little Hagar still Play?

Didnt know John Jr. was still playing. If i am not mistaken he had a gland or something bust in his throat a few months back, and it caused his dominant eye to go lazy or something. Last i heard he was through. Bad deal, was a hell of a player. I used to back some boys from Ok, in and around the Dallas area, and we matched up with him a couple times at CJ's. Was always good action.

rukiddingme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that one of the greatest unknown players of 14.1 and 9 ball is Sailor of Racine. Circumstances were such that he could not travel much, ( Wisconsin and the Chicago area) but the greats that went thru his poolroom in Racine know of him and speak highly of his game. Unfortunately he has not played much for almost 25 years
His knowledge iof 14.1 is legendary.
ruk

bells

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jack and the unkown.....

huckster said:
Speaking of Jack Hynes he is one of the best unkown 9 rocket players that is undercover. I seen him win the following games

1. Tony Ellin even Akron around 92
2. Tony Chohan giving him the 8 ball on an 8' table a couple years ago
3. Charlie Brinson giving him the 7 ball than the 6 ball around 1995
4. Ronnie Wiseman giving him the 8 around 1997
5. Cisco Diaz giving the last two in his home room in Detroit
6. Morro Paez even largest set I backed him for 10 ahead for 10k
7. Double J even before we knew who Jeremy was.
8. Getting the 7 from Effie Jack asked for the snap instead
9. Matlock even on the box 300 dollar sets Jack won two of three sets
10. Giving Shrimpboat the last 2 in his prime Worse game I made backing Jack we got no action after winning 1500

The last time i saw jack was over in monroe ...........older of course but still was hiting them well,.......no wait a minute i saw him in a lil bar over adrian but he wasnt playing then

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard a few people talk about someone named Gabbey, some said he was one of the very best unknown players out there.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
I've heard a few people talk about someone named Gabbey, some said he was one of the very best unknown players out there.

He is rotting in the prison.I ran into him in Dallas in mid 90s and he asked me for a game and I declined to play him.He is actually from Houston.

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there was an african american man that came up thru the north east playing 1 pocket that impressed the heck out of our resident 1 pocket players. He was unknown north of Fla and ALA & georgia....just remembered his name....Monster John....dam good 1 pocket player............mike

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Not the greatest but I'll throw his name out there. Has traveled, hustled, gambled all his life. May owe a few people. Seen him out run some incredible huge spots playing lesser players. Seen him beat many champions...like Parica. Master of matching up. Master of changing games, tables to his advantage. Absolute grinder, more heart than most champions. I gave him a cue, and for the past few years can track his travel around the country by the location of customers who call me wanting a cue like his. Drug & alcohol free. Always promotes my cues & gives out my number, even though it serves him no purpose. Probably dislikes by more than liked. From the old Mothers in Charlotte.
Anyone know Brady? Chris Brady...Brady Norris...Chris Norris...Norris Brady...etc.
How about Water Moccasin aka Horace Godwin? And how about Dennis Spears? And of course Black Bart aka Bob Ogburn (forum member). I don't think Stevie (Moore) & Little Tony (Watson) are exactly unkown. Brian Groce is another name that comes to mind...he gave Allison the 5 out. Mike Painter. Larry Price. Jaybird.
Just a few names that come to mind...hope I jarred a few memories.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> In an earlier post Larry Blackburn from Paris,Tn was mentioned. He's known to be pretty much a one-hole only player,but ventures out to 9-ball tournaments on occasion. I've played him several times,in other places,but have pretty much always known better than to try and play him at his place. James Christopher could not get there,it took John Schmidt to beat him even,and Cliff to spot him on that 8 footer. Dave Favor,Pete Horne,and Sherril Massey were also mentioned,and can also attest to their speed. I've only seen Dave play 4-5 times,but I never saw his true speed,no one around here could force him to show it. Pete Horne,on the other hand,showed me downright disgusting speed when he was in the area for several months about 12 years ago. I watched probably close to 2000 racks of 9-ball,and saw him scratch on the break less than 20,rare enough that it stuck out in your mind. He went thru the best players within a 150 mile radius of my hometown,and never booked a single loser,even when giving up large spots. For 5ballcharlie,if you know Jay Copeland from Martin,he gave him the 6,7,8 and Jay quit within an hour,on his home court at Cadillac's. He ran 14 racks on an 8 footer at a tournament in Kennett,Mo for 2 dollar a game,with Scott Brown aka Rooster on the other end,while he was going for 60 bucks in the calcutta no less. I've matched up with Sherrill several times,and the best I could manage was coming out even. He had a 3,4,5 rack run at some point every time we played.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Port Chester Mickey

Read my story about probably the greatest unknown road-hog, Port Chester Mickey Carpinello. The story is a couple pages long. Too long to reprint in this forum. If you want to find out more you will have to read my book, Banking With The Beard. Here are a coupla teases: he was a protege of Sailor Barge and he was also a heroin junkie.

the Beard

Leil gay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need a separate forum to promote your book.just kidding you might be the best Unknown because i didn't know you, what about Mexican Johnny?

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Hey Leil...
I heard once a story about some great road player/pro that rode to another state with the tournament director. Seems he & the director put him into the event under another name that no one knew...that way the director bought him cheap, for like $5 or something, and of course he went on to win the tourney...until everyone found out what happened and then they both got into trouble. Know anything about that story?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
...Anyone know Brady? Chris Brady...Brady Norris...Chris Norris...Norris Brady...etc.
...hope I jarred a few memories.

I played him a few months ago in Baltimore, cheep 1hole, for a 'lesson'. I ended up even after about 3 hrs and we played 1 for the time...which I lost:eek: . A real gentleman.

Now, when are you gonna fix that broken cue for him?!

George

Balance is everything
Silver Member
tedkaufman said:
I'd have to agree about Stevie. I had never heard of him till I moved to SC. For that matter, Tony Watson is another who stays under the radar. Larry Nevel is another who's ability far exceeds his fame. By the way, congrats to Stevie and Larry on making the IPT. Guess they won't stay a secret much longer.

Back in NY, Joe Fratey (sp?) is a world class 9-ball player, who maintains a low profile. I know of lots of pros who don't go out of their way to match up with Joe.

Mike, when are we going to hook up? How can I find you?

That would be Joe Frady, I've seen him play a few times........the guy's as strong as they get.

George

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
I played him a few months ago in Baltimore, cheep 1hole, for a 'lesson'. I ended up even after about 3 hrs and we played 1 for the time...which I lost:eek: . A real gentleman.

Now, when are you gonna fix that broken cue for him?!

If you ended up only paying for the time...that speaks VOLUMES about your one pocket game. Unless you two were playing really cheap...and he thought you might jack it up & play later...LOL!
What did he break this time?
He's been in Baltimore for a while...I've sent over a half dozen cues to your area. Keep your eyes open for a few players that break & jump way better than normal...

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George said:
That would be Joe Frady, I've seen him play a few times........the guy's as strong as they get.

George

Joe Frady is an extremely shrewd guy besides being a great player.In 1994 I tried to trap him in Elite Billiards on route 9 in Marlboro and he did not fall for it.Few weeks later I ran into him in westend Billiards in Elizabeth.I used different technique to get a game and that did NOT work either.He never asked this sucker to play him.After that I left that part of the country.

Last edited: