Gus Szamboti 70's

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First that isn't what you said but I'm not gonna quote a private message here. Given the information provided, it would seem the cue has been stored for 20 years and that you only recently pulled it out to take pictures. You did not inspect the cue for any warpage or damage and are suggesting that the cue is straight as best as you can recall (which was 20 years ago). To be reasonable I give you the benefit of the doubt that the cue has been stored properly, however this is a detail that you should clarify before ever attempting to sell a cue. It's been nearly a month since you were going to check and you still haven't done it.
If you go through and read this entire thread you will realize that there's alot of people who have shown interest, alot of people who genuinely tried to help you sell your cue, and several people who have either passed or no longer participate on this site. The fact that in all this time you still haven't fully disclosed the details of the cue is mind boggling. Someone mentioned a potential crack, I noticed what appeared to be a rather significant dent in one of the points, these are things that should've been addressed and clarified if you really wanted to sell the cue and definitely affect the market value. If the approach had been transparent from the beginning, this cue would've been sold several times over and instead here we are still trying to figure out the details.
I agree if these things had been well looked into, at the start, the true value would have been established. 20 Years is a long time for something, like this to be locked away. Regardless of potential value. If its been somewhere cold. I will guarantee, it won't be the same when you last saw it. Remember it's wood. And no matter how old, wood will move according to the temperatures, if it's extreme enough.
You should do what bass Man did with his cue, and send it to pete tescarella,an expert. to give it the once over. And then you might get somewhere.
Condition is everything when selling cues. especially for the money your asking.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I agree if these things had been well looked into, at the start, the true value would have been established. 20 Years is a long time for something, like this to be locked away. Regardless of potential value. If its been somewhere cold. I will guarantee, it won't be the same when you last saw it. Remember it's wood. And no matter how old, wood will move according to the temperatures, if it's extreme enough.
You should do what bass Man did with his cue, and send it to pete tescarella,an expert. to give it the once over. And then you might get somewhere.
Condition is everything when selling cues. especially for the money your asking.

As he is more than 50% too high on the price, it doesn't matter anyway. It will never sell.

If it had documented provenance that it was owned by Willie Mosconi or someone, maybe

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
As he is more than 50% too high on the price, it doesn't matter anyway. It will never sell.

If it had documented provenance that it was owned by Willie Mosconi or someone, maybe
He came down quite a bit when an AZ dealer offered to buy it at a certain price,
but then hit him again with another $1000 less and the deal unraveled.

I thought the OP said along the way that he had a copy of the page in Gus’s work book
from when he ordered the cue. I could be wrong on this, just my recollection (particularly long thread).

However, I also remember the old adage in the car business:

“Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.”

As with anything, the longer an item is “on the market” the harder it is to sell. Potential buyers start to worry
something is wrong with the item.

If you really do want to sell, lower your sights from the maximum and let her go!

WP

Last edited:

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He came down quite a bit when an AZ dealer offered to buy it at a certain price,
but then hit him again with another $1000 less and the deal unraveled.

I thought the OP said along the way that he had a copy of the page in Gus’s work book
from when he ordered the cue. I could be wrong on this, just my recollection (particularly long thread).

However, I also remember the old adage in the car business:

“Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.”

As with anything, the longer an item is “on the market” the harder it is to sell. Potential buyers start to worry
something is wrong with the item.

If you really do want to sell, lower your sights from the maximum and let her go!

WP
I do have a copy of the page from Gus' order book for my cue that Barry sent me many years ago.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As he is more than 50% too high on the price,...
This implies that a nicer Gus Szamboti is worth $10,000 or less. That seems low to me but if that is true then it is what it is. Thank you for your estimate of the value

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This implies that a nicer Gus Szamboti is worth $10,000 or less. That seems low to me but if that is true then it is what it is. Thank you for your estimate of the value
I see them without the issues I see on yours, for sale by less obtuse people, priced lower and not moving

Good luck!

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been about 7 months since I checked in. How is the market today for higher end Gus Szamboti's like mine? Up...Down...Same ..?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the love of God will this thread ever just die?
Obviously, the cue is not for sale unless someone offers stupid money for it. Given that this is more of a "what's it worth now?" thread I'm OK with it, though I don't know if you can track valuation of such things in 6 month time frames. We're not talking about cars or houses.

brunswick1901

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have new and used Gus Szamboti cues for sale, I'm asking a lot because they are many for sale and his cues were consider the best at the time.. I'll add more about the cues tonight.

Last edited:

stevelomako

Here’s Johnny
Silver Member
I’m going to read this entire thread as it seems interesting.

One thing right now though.

Looks like nothing about Barry Szamboti authenticating this cue. That would be a plus I imagine.

stevelomako

Here’s Johnny
Silver Member
How’s the beanie baby market going?

Cabbage Patch dolls?

Hummel figurines?

Trump collectibles? 😱

Cue market doesn’t seem like what it used to be to me. What age are the youngest collectors?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How’s the beanie baby market going?

Cabbage Patch dolls?

Hummel figurines?

Trump collectibles? 😱

Cue market doesn’t seem like what it used to be to me. What age are the youngest collectors?
That seems to be the case, I guess, but I think there will always be interest in the Bushka and Szam level cues.

stevelomako

Here’s Johnny
Silver Member
That seems to be the case, I guess, but I think there will always be interest in the Bushka and Szam level cues.
The lowest price ones won’t be higher than they were a few years ago I think.

As all of us age I think the interest will wane more that it has.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i could be wrong and you guys will tell me
the guys who think gus and barry and George are cool
are dieing
those cues dont come with carbon fibre shafts
SELL THEM WHILE THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO BUY THEM
jmho
icbw
i sold my collection (except for some favorites not looking to sell)
several years ago 😁

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like bad news for the high end Gus Szamboti market. I will check back in another 7 months and see what's happening. Thanks for the input