Handheld steamer

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im looking for a nice, inexpensive, steamer for dents. I already have an iron I use but would like a steamer. I know they are out there but does anyone have one they swear by, or have any suggestions for one, or more importantly have ones to avoid at all costs. I know wal-mart will probably have one Im just trying to get an Idea before i head out. Im not afraid of spending money if its worth it I just hate wasting money if i don't have to. Thanx for the help in advance.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
steamer

buy a cheap pressure cooker, attach a rubber hose with auto hose clamps to the steam exhaust, get a small copper pipe that fits the id of hose, split the end with a hacksaw, taper it to a smaller diameter.

fill the pressure cooker 1/2 full of water, set on hot plate,

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
buy a cheap pressure cooker, attach a rubber hose with auto hose clamps to the steam exhaust, get a small copper pipe that fits the id of hose, split the end with a hacksaw, taper it to a smaller diameter.

What he said. Except also wrap some self-gripping silicone tape around the business end to insulate your hand from the heat - or plan on wearing gloves.

I have a luthier friend who went one step further by installing a heating element into a pressure cooker with the wire coming out a sealed port in the top. So no external heat source required - just make sure there's always enough water to keep the element submerged, or you'll be buying a new one.

TW

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I use a scunci handheld steamer. Plenty of steam in a couple of minutes, pinpoint accuracy. Found it at a yard sale I think. Used on amazon and e-bay range from 20 to about 70 bucks.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

Last edited:

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That would work but doesn't sound so portable. I want something small and portable to take to shows.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What he said. Except also wrap some self-gripping silicone tape around the business end to insulate your hand from the heat - or plan on wearing gloves.

I have a luthier friend who went one step further by installing a heating element into a pressure cooker with the wire coming out a sealed port in the top. So no external heat source required - just make sure there's always enough water to keep the element submerged, or you'll be buying a new one.

TW

Pretty smart there but if I'm putting that much money into it, why wouldn't i just buy one.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a scunci handheld steamer. Plenty of steam in a couple of minutes, pinpoint accuracy. Found it at a yard sale I think. Used on amazon and e-bay range from 20 to about 70 bucks.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

cool thanx

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty smart there but if I'm putting that much money into it, why wouldn't i just buy one.

Don't know, don't care. Just telling you what a guy I know who takes apart and reassembles very expensive violins does. I forgot to mention he has a small button valve near the business and a pressure release on the lid pre-set at a pressure low enough to prevent going boom. He says it does a great job of humidifying his workspace as well.

TW

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have tried quite a few handheld steamers and spent around $20 each time, and They all stopped working after a few months. I took them apart and found that the water left deposits which clogged it all up. I switched to an electric tea kettle similar to this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Electric-Tea-Kettle/5969533
and it has worked for about 3-4 years now and all I do is put about 1/2" of water in it. I have placed a foil cover over the spout and poked a 5/16" or so hole in it to localize the steam. Cheap, and they heat up faster, IMO, than the handheld steamers. And it is very portable, takes 12 seconds to dump the water out.
Dave

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried quite a few handheld steamers and spent around $20 each time, and They all stopped working after a few months. I took them apart and found that the water left deposits which clogged it all up. I switched to an electric tea kettle similar to this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Electric-Tea-Kettle/5969533
and it has worked for about 3-4 years now and all I do is put about 1/2" of water in it. I have placed a foil cover over the spout and poked a 5/16" or so hole in it to localize the steam. Cheap, and they heat up faster, IMO, than the handheld steamers. And it is very portable, takes 12 seconds to dump the water out.
Dave

Any steamer like the clothing steamers, steam mop etc.... are supposed to be used with distilled water in them to prevent the mineral build up. Just an FYI.
Chuck

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cuemaker Ned Morris, uses a very small iron that he says can be bought at most hobby stores. I would get one... but I am unable to steam out dents anymore since I got a laminated Jacoby edge shaft.... it just does not work the same on them.

But this small heating iron was about five inches by 2 inches and seemed perfect.

Good luck.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
My cuemaker Ned Morris, uses a very small iron that he says can be bought at most hobby stores. I would get one... but I am unable to steam out dents anymore since I got a laminated Jacoby edge shaft.... it just does not work the same on them.

But this small heating iron was about five inches by 2 inches and seemed perfect.

Good luck.

The iron you describe is used for applying the shrink wrap covering for RC airplanes. I know because at one time I built and flew many, try Tower Hobbies an online hobby store.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I take a paper towel and fold it twice into a one inch square and soak it with water.

Then I use a small iron and press it on the wet towel over the dent. I flip the towel over and add water each time I apply heat.

This process works for me and is very easy. Let the wood dry before light sanding and re sealing.

JMO,

Rick

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member

fill the pressure cooker 1/2 full of water, set on hot plate

Chuck Buddy, are you sure that yer not makin Moon Shine there.

I bought a Shark. I think that is what it's called. The only one that the store had.

It has a pointy little nozzle so I can concentrate the steam.

You can burn your hand with it as well. I know this.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Dents

Im looking for a nice, inexpensive, steamer for dents. I already have an iron I use but would like a steamer. I know they are out there but does anyone have one they swear by, or have any suggestions for one, or more importantly have ones to avoid at all costs. I know wal-mart will probably have one Im just trying to get an Idea before i head out. Im not afraid of spending money if its worth it I just hate wasting money if i don't have to. Thanx for the help in advance.

I put a band aid over the dent and then drop a couple of droplets of water on the band aid twice a day for 4 or 5 days.

I had one shaft that was pinch between the door hinge side and the wall.
It pinched the shaft on both side like a pair of lineman pliers.
The shaft looked way beyond repair.

Wet band aids for a week and the dents were gone................

Band aids and 5 minutes labor Is very inexpensive.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Quick and portable... hummm.
A butane soldering tip and a wet towel corner?

I use my plastic soldering iron that has a round disk tip and a wet rag corner. The iron heats up in 15-20 seconds.

Last edited:

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I can use an iron, thats what I'm doing now but I like the idea of a steamer. Seen it in one of Chris Hightowers videos.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I use gun cleaning patches,water,a stainless knife similar to a butter knife,and heat it up with a cigarette lighter.

Never had to use it more than twice on the same dent. Tommy D.