How Good Is / Was Dave Matlock?????

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Matlock

I have a couple of stories about David. When David first rolled into Wichita from Western Missouri, he landed at Mr. Lucky's (another name now), and matched up with Jr. Brown for a 7 ahead $700 set. I was the only one allowed to watch the set. David missed one shot the whole set, and Jr. missed the 6 ball when he had a chance, David preceded to run the last game out. But, what was so amazing was the jump shot that David shot after breaking one game being hooked. He was 1/2" at most from the 6 ball, shooting the 3. He jacked up a bar cue almost 90 degrees, and jumped the 6, made the 3 in the side, and drew the cue back about 5" for perfect shape on the 4. It was absolutely the best jump shot I have ever seen with a bar cue, or almost any cue, in 48 years of playing.

Another time years later, David was up from Oklahoma to play in one of Terry Young's Rumors tournaments, and they always got a ring game going on the big table there. That day, 7 including David were in the ring game for $10 a man. David got up and got going and ran 9 tables in a row.

Again years later, David was back at Rumors for a tournament, and I asked him what his high run on a bar table was, and he told me 28 straight racks.

My only other story is again at a Rumor's tournament (64 player tournaments - 9 ball), David and I had both won our first couple of matches and I was due to play him my first match on Sunday, and he never showed, so I won by forfeit, and ended up taking 5th-6th in the tournament.

h2o4170

h2o4170
Silver Member
Lets just say nobody was runnin up to play him he played,plays,everything top notch. Harold Worst was the best ever at everything,period.

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
David Matlock

if your ever in olathe stop at shooters goin say ho to everyone order the steak and potatos look out back of the bar and yell hello to the coats playin somebody 1 pocket! then head over to the cue room and ask dan tull the owner of shooters to tell you some Matlock storys.........you can thank me later!:grin:

Hustler85

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good stories everyone keep them comming. Nasty I hear that you have done a podcast with Matlock was wondering if it was going to make it to your website soon

imagemker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As with any story of old in the pool world, I don't know how much truth there is to the following. But hear is a storie I have heard a couple of times over the years. a younger Archer (in his barbox days) Brought some backers to challenge Matlock at a big game (20k was the number I was given) in a 12 ahead. While both players were warming up, Matlock Broke and ran 18. Archers backers pulled up before the match even started. Not sure how much truth there is to this one but I liked the story. And for his caliber of play over all, I think his more recent performances in Derby city speak for themselves.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's been a lot of good bar table players over the years. A LOT! I must have seen fifty guys that I would call top speed, including Jesse Bowman, Shane and some other current players. In the old days there were also many great players, like Joe Salazar, Big Sergio, Cannela, Buddy and Keith, Bakersfield Bobby and Weldon Rogers. Peter Gunn was up there too. I loved Buddy's steady play and perfect cue ball. It seemed like he would never miss a ball. And Keith had such finesse and never saw a hard shot. He made everything look so easy.

But David Matlock had a quality I never saw in anyone else. He could simply overpower the table, making the balls do as he commanded them. He created position where there was none, and manufactured shots to suit the occasion. Everyone else played fairly standard run-outs, but not David. He could take a bad layout and turn it around with an overpowering shot or two. He made "bigger" shots than anyone else, and made them with confidence. If you were his opponent, you quickly realized that this guy had a higher speed than you. Believe me that's intimidating.

I don't know how else to describe it, but Matlock played a little different game on a bar table than anyone else I ever saw. He made that table and those balls submit to his will!

There's a few guys that really stand out in my memory that way. The way Ceulemans controlled the balls and the game on a billiard table; Worst playing on a big table always seemed so sure of himself, so much in command; Earl playing tournament 9-Ball and making the big box look like a bar table, and then there was Matlock totally dominating a bar table. I'd add Parica playing for money to the above list. He was just unbeatable and you knew he was going to win no matter what the game. One more who stands out in my mind was a young Steve Mizerak playing Straight Pool. When he showed up, everyone else was playing for second. He was a speed above the world!

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As with any story of old in the pool world, I don't know how much truth there is to the following. But hear is a storie I have heard a couple of times over the years. a younger Archer (in his barbox days) Brought some backers to challenge Matlock at a big game (20k was the number I was given) in a 12 ahead. While both players were warming up, Matlock Broke and ran 18. Archers backers pulled up before the match even started. Not sure how much truth there is to this one but I liked the story. And for his caliber of play over all, I think his more recent performances in Derby city speak for themselves.

I had to laugh at this one because what I knew of David, he simply loved to play and had no stall to him at all. i don't care if it was a $2000 set or a $5.00 ring game. he knew one speed and that only. he had a rather dry sense of humor too but could be interesting to talk to and had some funny remarks from time to time.

my first Matlock encounter was about 80 years ago in his hometown of Ponca City Ok. I was on the road with another guy and we happened into the bar where he "resided". i wasn't looking for Dave, but a friend of his called ronnie Phebus who was an outrageous guy but, had some gamble about him.
nobody could get matched up so a $5.00 ring game developed. It went back and forth for a while David was shooting after me. I had won a game and then broke dry. To make a very long story short, 21 games later, he was still shooting. It was amazing. his break was just unbelevable. It wasn't incredibly hard or pwerful break but just,,,Perfect. It seemed the cue ball jumped straight back and ended int the same position forever.
Finally he broke and hooked himself on the one, but kicked it in, only to hook himself again on the 2 ball. Someone else won the game and then the fame broke up. I think we all would have been too ashamed to quit while he was on such a n incredible run. i admit though I was sure wishing my Mom would call and give me some excuse though.
In my tenure with this game, my 3 favorite players to watch were Dave, Buddy, and Ed Kelly. All 3 just seemed to have something the rest of the world had not quite figured out! I also like Jay's rationale!

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
28 pack.....21 pack.....18 pack.....25 pack..... I mean does this even register in anyone's mind at this moment? Can anyone even fathom in a million years, in the darkest corners of your mind, how good this is?

It's like at the last DCC (I think) TAR interviewed Thorston Hohman (spelling) or Niels ...I cant remember.... and he says the most 8 ball racks he ever run was 35......:eek:

I remember a story Tony Watson told me once. We were sitting there watching a game and mentions that Busty offered him the 7 and the break a few weeks ago. I said " JESUS.... You stuck it in his ace didn't ya?" He jumps back at me like I'm an idiot and says " HELL NO ARE YOU STUPID? I didn't take it" Tony at the time could give me the 6-out and he wouldn't take the 7 and the snap from this guy.

My mind cannot comprehend how good this really is! Excuse me while I pick up my jaw.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
28 pack.....21 pack.....18 pack.....25 pack..... I mean does this even register...? Can anyone even fathom?

...Tony Watson told me once. We were sitting there watching a game and mentions that Busty offered him the 7 and the break.

...pick up my jaw.

There is very little air up at the top, it is true.

DrawtheRock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beatable

David had the best cueball control of anyone i've ever seen play in his prime. He played super defense,super break and stayed on the right side of the ball almost everytime, and ducked no one including Buddy Hall. He offered Johnny the 8 when Johnny was playing mainly on barboxes and Johnny wanted the 7. He told Johnny to come to Ok and he had the 7 and could bet what he wanted to. The only one that had the nerve that i can recall to try him in Ok was Keith, and he checked up short. I've watched him play almost perfect pool for hours. CJ did beat him at a tournament in Al with Billy Johnson breaking for him. For the one that said he wasn't the top barbox player in his prime, name the players that could beat him?

Everybody is beatable on any given night..that being said. I think that Keith and Matlock were probably the best big ball bar box 9 ball players. I have heard the Matlock beat Buddy with the big ball but didnt want to play him with the small rock. I heard that Larry Hubbard went to OK with Sigel on a roadtrip and beat Matlock. Keith and Matlock I had heard played a few times and ended up about even with each other.

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate it when David is refered to as the King of the Bar Tables. David was a GREAT player on any size table including 3-Cushion Billiards.

With a damn near perfect stroke and the timing to go with it, David was the best....period.......SPF=randyg

+1

Scott

9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David Matlock

David still has lots of game, Unfortunately due to health reasons he is not at his best. But that being said I still watch him string 5 packs And once saw him string a 9 pack together here at shooters in olathe.

If you are ever in town and get to watch him practice or play you are in for a treat. He makes the game look beautiful, I told him once that watching him shoot pool is like watching a painter paint a masterpiece!

My son Manny has been very fortunate to have Matlock in his corner! Dave is very kind to let Manny learn from him, what he needs to know about the barbox. :smile:

H.P.

bobbycotton

PoolHall Junkie
Silver Member
Anybody that hasn't seen Matlock play in his prime has missed out. He plays all games great on all tables. His bar table 9 ball with the big ball was awsome. I think the only other player who was as solid was Wade Crane. I agree with Jay, Keith, Sergio and a few others played great but Matlocks fundamentals were the most solid. I have played him a few times, I know ! As I have played them all, this is first hand experience not heresay !
'

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Mississippi State Championship

I remember going to Jackson, Mississippi one time back in the very late 80's, it was a 128 player field, around the time "On The Snap Magizine" first came out.

The best bar-table players around were there, and was for the Mississippi State Championship on the bar-tables.

David Matlock, Buddy Hall, a young Johnny Archer, Eugene Browning, Brian Atchley, Keith McCready, Calvin Harcrow, Wade Kellum, Eurmand Bullard, Scotty Townsend," Good Time Charlie Owens", Wade Crane, Louie Roberts, San-Seabastian, Danny Medina, Jimmy King, a young John Brumback, Jeff Carter, Reed Pearce, Jimmy Reid, Jim Rempie, David Howard, Floyd Baxter, you know, just everyone that played back then.

Well David Matlock won, I really can't remember who got second, either Eugene Browning or Brian Atchley, I think. David Matlock ran many racks over and over several times, I do remember that, David played some awesome pool!

The 1st place trophy was a large piece of cut out wood in the shape of Mississippi, very beautiful!, it was as large as the bed of a bar-table, the largest trophy I ever seen!

I remember this one older guy that took bets from anyone, he would make a line and you bet if the player would make it to that amount of games or not, well I won every bet I made with him, I knew all the players back then , down to half a ball of their speed, hell he even started asking me who was gonna win & by how many, ...lol

I do remember the guy I went down to the tournament with ran off and left me, I was in action, and winning so I couldn't leave, but the funny thing about it was , I got a ride back to Little Rock, Ar. a little later on, and the guy came over to where I was staying, and told the people there I was in Jackson,Miss. and wouldn't come on,.... here's David's clothes, well I stepped out from behind the door and said Thank You! ..his eyes got real big.....hehe......I just laughed!!!!!!:grin:

Was lots of Action at that tournament, for sure, the following weekend everybody went to Vicksburg,Mississippi, for another round!

David Harcrow

Last edited:

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 1st place trophy was a large piece of cut out wood in the shape of Mississippi, very beautiful!, it was as large as the bed of a bar-table, the largest trophy I ever seen!

David Harcrow

That same trophy is hanging on the wall at Shooters in Olathe, KS. There is a wall devoted to Dave with some pictures, trophies, etc. a sort of shrine to the man and his career. Dan Tull has an excellent collection of pool photographs that adorn the walls of Shooters.

Darryl

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone had asked earlier about Jesse Bowman's game compared to Dave's.
I believe its almost impossible to know for sure. First time I ever played Dave was in 1987 at Dwayne bowman's place in E. Moline Illinois. I was in the army and was stationed at FT Sheridan about 25 miles north of Chicago.

I went to visit a female friend I knew in the army in Germany that lived in E Moline. She gave me directions to the pool room and I arrived to see a poster on the wall of the Fall classic 9-ball tournament that would be going on that weekend. I played Dave early in the tournament and had him hill to 2 and my knees got shaky thinking I was going to win against the person who every one I knew thought was the best bar table player in the country. Missed the seven and he ran the set out from there.:eek:

A side note to the story is that Mark Wilson and Jeff Carter were the two house pro's at that time and they're wives were waitresses. Jesse and his brother Jamie were little guys then. Its no wonder he became a great player with people like those two around while he was growing up.

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember going to Jackson, Mississippi one time back in the very late 80's, it was a 128 player field, around the time "On The Snap Magizine" first came out.

The best bar-table players around were there, and was for the Mississippi State Championship on the bar-tables.

David Matlock, Buddy Hall, a young Johnny Archer, Eugene Browning, Brian Atchley, Keith McCreaty, Calvin Harcrow, Wade Kellum, Eurmand Bullard, Scotty Townsend," Good Time Charlie Owens", Wade Crane, Louie Roberts, San-Seabastian, Danny Medina, Jimmy King, a young John Brumback, Jeff Carter, Reed Pearce, Jimmy Reid, Jim Rempie, David Howard, Floyd Baxter, you know, just everyone that played back then.

Well David Matlock won, I really can't remember who got second, either Eugene Browning or Brian Atchly, I think. David Matlock ran many racks over and over several times, I do remember that, David played some awesome pool!

I remember this one older guy that took bets from anyone, he would make a line and you bet if the player would make it to that amount of games or not, well I won every bet I made with him, I knew all the players back then , down to half a ball of their speed, hell he even started asking me who was gonna win & by how many, ...lol

I do remember the guy I went down to the tournament with ran off and left me, I was in action, and winning so I couldn't leave, but the funny thing about it was , I got a ride back to Little Rock, Ar. a little later on, and the guy came over to where I was staying, an told the people there I was in Jackson,Miss. and wouldn't come on,.... here's David's clothes, well I stepped out from behind the door and said Thank You! ..his eyes got real big.....hehe......I just laughed!!!!!!:grin:

Was lots of Action at that tournament, for sure, the following weekend everybody went to Vicksburg,Mississippi, for another round!

David Harcrow

Wow, David, you have an incredible memory.
I saw Eugene Browning in Houston a couple of years ago and he doesn't even seem the same person and doesn't play anything like he . that is no knock on him, I don't think he puts much time in anymore. He was though at one time an animal on the bar box.
Anyway, I thought I had a pretty good memory, but you get the crown!! remember the twenty you owe me,,LOL??

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Everybody is beatable on any given night..that being said. I think that Keith and Matlock were probably the best big ball bar box 9 ball players. I have heard the Matlock beat Buddy with the big ball but didnt want to play him with the small rock. I heard that Larry Hubbard went to OK with Sigel on a roadtrip and beat Matlock. Keith and Matlock I had heard played a few times and ended up about even with each other.

There is a lot more to this story so you can simply negate it. And no, before anyone says anything it was not a dump or any cause of David's.

p.s. David Matlock has an incredible memory. If you can ever get him to tell a story, not only will he tell you who he beat, when it was, for how much, how long it took but if it was a race, he will know the score. If it was an ahead set, he will know how many games it took.

To me, David is the greatest barbox player ever. I can only go by what I saw. People can say Keith - Buddy, whoever. All I know is that David has been in Olathe for almost 20 years? (coates could probably clarify how long or I'll ask David next time I see him) and those two and many others have had every opportunity to walk in the door and play him some. Funny, they haven't.

Last edited: