How good were Cole Dickson and Mark Tadd?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I specifically talked to Jay Halfert at the BCA...he was one of the reliable sources that said Mark played about as good as anyone at one point, and was giving the 7 ball to tip top pros and getting there.

KMRUNOUT

Somebody sent a dvd to me a few years back when Mark Tadd and Mike Sigel were playing a match in some tournament. Tadd needed the 7 ball because Sigel beat him like a drum. I don't think the 7 would have even helped.

jamesjr1963

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody sent a dvd to me a few years back when Mark Tadd and Mike Sigel were playing a match in some tournament. Tadd needed the 7 ball because Sigel beat him like a drum. I don't think the 7 would have even helped.

Were you around when Mark played in one of the Ivory Open events?

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played them both at their best and I give the nod to Tademy as the better of the two. Although Cole was scary good but still a coupe of notches below Keith.. Mark played as good as anyone except maybe Earl.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played them both at their best and I give the nod to Tademy as the better of the two. Although Cole was scary good but still a coupe of notches below Keith.. Mark played as good as anyone except maybe Earl.

But...was Mark as good as Keith?

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But...was Mark as good as Keith?

I wouldn't stake either one against the other when they were at their best but Keith has the longer track record playing top notch for many years.
Mark not so much. I played Keith just before he hit his high gear.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't stake either one against the other when they were at their best but Keith has the longer track record playing top notch for many years.
Mark not so much. I played Keith just before he hit his high gear.

(When he was 12)
:killingme:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
both keith and cole played super speed. but you could count on both to be broke by the time most tournaments were over. money never stuck to either of them.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
both keith and cole played super speed. but you could count on both to be broke by the time most tournaments were over. money never stuck to either of them.

Not because of Skill but because they never knew when to walk away ,, but at their best , before the alcohol got to them , few if any played thier speed and no one was giving them weight in fact was it not Kieth who said he would give the world the 8 or was it the 7
These guys were true gamblers not today's breed

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tadd's firepower at his top gear was intimidating... sure would have liked to see him and Earl at their peak playing a long race.

Mark and Keith? Yep, saw a few matchups at Hard Times... Keith would rake the table if he left the 3 ball open... he knew Tadd was out.

I don't know if a brother named JJ is still around... he shot videos of some of these old matches... I think he shot the L.A. Open I mentioned, Tadd taking the 1P and 9ball.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tadd's firepower at his top gear was intimidating... sure would have liked to see him and Earl at their peak playing a long race.

Mark and Keith? Yep, saw a few matchups at Hard Times... Keith would rake the table if he left the 3 ball open... he knew Tadd was out.

I don't know if a brother named JJ is still around... he shot videos of some of these old matches... I think he shot the L.A. Open I mentioned, Tadd taking the 1P and 9ball.

I would love to see that video

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member

JJ passed away last year I believe. I spoke with him a few times and a nice guy he was. Nice archive of videos if you can get them or they might be lost forever since I am not sure who obtained them.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time in the past, the Pro player Roger Griffis sold some break cues. He claimed that no matter how hard you hit the cue ball with this break cue, the cue will never jump out of the table. Several pros tried power breaks and the cue ball stayed close to the bed of the Table. Mark Tademy said that he will make the cue ball jump out of the table and to utter dismay of Roger Griffis and other Pros he made the cue ball fly of the table after breaking the rack. He was that good.

In 1992 he asked me to play him the game of Honolulu ( combination of banks and kicks) for $1000 a game, even game. I said , no thanks.

Onepocket73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've mentioned Mark Tadd in another thread a while ago. Mark at one time was one of the most talented and feared players in L.A. We had Jay's L.A. Open in, I think, '92 and Mark took the 9 Ball AND One Pocket. That good. There's stories of him walking into a room and giving anyone the 7.. no takers. At the Bicycle club, he'd throw his $100 fiberglass cue under the table, go play cards, get called in to play Varner, walk in with no warm up, and beat Nicky pretty easily... throw the cue under the table, back to cards.
Incorrect.Tadd won the 9ball and bank pool.Finished 2nd in the one pocket to Steve Cook.I know because I own all 3 matches on DVD.He beat Dennis Hatch in the 9ball and beat Donnie Anderson in the bank pool.

As far as the OP's question goes,yes,he could have played with any of those guys and anyone who was around at that time when he was dominating pool in southern California knows that to be true.I consider myself to be fortunate to have witnessed some of it.But His patterns were no different than any other great player of today.When he ran out,it was the same as watching SVB run out.The thing about Mark Tadd that mystified people is how he came out of nowhere with this incredible talent and yet,nobody knew him or much about who he was.Then there was his personality,which was the utmost in cockiness and self assuredness.An incredible showman from start to finish.Could back up anything he said and was afraid of Nothing or anybody.Then,just like Bobby Fischer....poof.......gone for over a decade and never heard from.

Onepocket73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He took down some tournaments at South Bay, but so did Parica and Efren.

I saw him match up with Keith on some fast 9 ball at Hard Times. I stopped gambling on their match because if they didn't run out, they raked the table and racked....no stalling.

Great times.
I own a match of Tadd playing Buddy Hall at South Bay.It was the best of 3 sets in 9ball.About a 3 hour match(2 dvd's).Pockets were pretty tight on the Gold Crowns but Tadd made them look like buckets.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw him at the Bicycle Club in the early to mid 90's. Weirdly good. Spent a lot of time on the poker tables and would come in for a match using a cue that had duct tape on the butt. Was almost nonchalant as he ran racks. Didn't know what to think of him and he had people shaking their heads.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ passed away last year I believe. I spoke with him a few times and a nice guy he was. Nice archive of videos if you can get them or they might be lost forever since I am not sure who obtained them.

Didn't know JJ passed... cool guy, old school pool. I'll ask Box the next time I'm at HT and see if he knows about JJ's work... that'd be a shame to not preserve his work.

OnePocket 73, I stand corrected... I know Tadd took two out of three! And yeah, he was
hella cocky, in sort of a Keith way... he'd be talking to someone while playing a match, guy he's playing trying like hell to get out, get up a few games, then Tadd would just run the set out, breaking with his playing cue, that cheap fiberglass cue with the nine ball stencil on the butt.

And then he pulled a Kaiser Soze'... poof, gone.

Where's Jay?... waiting for him to chip in about Tadd...

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not because of Skill but because they never knew when to walk away ,, but at their best , before the alcohol got to them , few if any played thier speed and no one was giving them weight in fact was it not Kieth who said he would give the world the 8 or was it the 7
These guys were true gamblers not today's breed

Keith got weight and so did Louie.

Buddy gave them both weight.

It doesnt matter how much weight you give up if they never get to shoot.

Ken