I am curious to see how people respond to this.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, I am not here to argue. I just wanted to see what peoples opinions and thoughts on the topic. People who made this personal and directed their "arguments" to me, that was not the point. I did express my opinions and thoughts about it. I am not saying they are "right" and everyone should think the way I do, but, I am saying they are RIGHT for me. :) To be clear: I did not have a particular situation in mind, just a general question about breaking the rules intentionally.

Trent fromToledo

I think I get what you’re saying, but just so I’m certain, you believe intentional fouls in pool are cheating? I’m not arguing at all, just clarifying.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not here to prove a point or Argue. I just want to see how people respond to this. I am going ask a non-specific and very general question:

In playing any format of Pool: Is it cheating to intentionally break the rules?

Trent from Toledo

No

Freddie <~~~ vague answer to a vague question

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Again, I am not here to argue. I just wanted to see what peoples opinions and thoughts on the topic. People who made this personal and directed their "arguments" to me, that was not the point. I did express my opinions and thoughts about it. I am not saying they are "right" and everyone should think the way I do, but, I am saying they are RIGHT for me. :) To be clear: I did not have a particular situation in mind, just a general question about breaking the rules intentionally.

Trent fromToledo

But your questions wasnt clear and goofy. But you want an answer?

That has “troll” written all over it.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
But your questions wasnt clear and goofy. But you want an answer?

That has “troll” written all over it.

It was very clear and simple. Either it is cheating or is not. Actually what you are doing is more like Trolling. I got your answer, you clearly said no. There is nothing more to it. Thanks for participating.

Trent

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was very clear and simple. Either it is cheating or is not. Actually what you are doing is more like Trolling. I got your answer, you clearly said no. There is nothing more to it. Thanks for participating.

Trent

I was answering your first paragraph.

Your questions was legitimately vague. If you don’t realize that, then every answer you received could be answering a totally different question.

So the answer is stil, “no.” To your first paragraph.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I was answering your first paragraph.

Your questions was legitimately vague. If you don’t realize that, then every answer you received could be answering a totally different question.

So the answer is stil, “no.” To your first paragraph.

I think he doesn’t want to out the person that prompted his inquiry.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Not here to prove a point or Argue. I just want to see how people respond to this. I am going ask a non-specific and very general question:

Trent from Toledo

I think the correct answer is: Sometimes

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this genius is interested to see how people respond but he gives me a neg because he doesn’t like how I respond hahaha I can give one back for not being discriptive enough in your title that I couldn’t ignore it since that’s what you told me I should have done. :grin-square:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
How about if both players choose to ignore one or more rules? Is that cheating?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

The unequivocal, absolute correct answer is: Not always.

best,
brian kc

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

Intentional fouls are a form of breaking the rules, but it's a commonly accepted thing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Intentional fouls are a form of breaking the rules, but it's a commonly accepted thing.
No, common intentional fouls are within the rules, not breaking them. It is unfortunate that there is a great deal of confusion here about this. I think that confusion was due to the way the original question was posed and the repeated obfuscations following.

Fouling your opponent at basketball to force him to the line is within the rules of basketball, not breaking the rules. Breaking his arm to cut down on his free-throw percentages is probably breaking the rules of basketball.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask 100 people to give their interpretation of a word that already has a definition, and you will likely get 101 different answers. We currently have a few multi-page threads in the main forum based in large part on semantics and how people define certain things.

My thoughts on the matter; If you have to question whether something is cheating vs say taking an intentional foul, you might want to consider that in some localities, playing a safety is considered "cheating".

A better question might have been to ask, what are some of the things considered to be 'cheating' in pool? Or, as others have noted the vagueness of the original question, just coming out and stating a situation in question, and asking for opinions on if the forum members would consider it to be 'cheating'. :thumbup:

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I can't help but think back to when I was a kid. My older brother always CHEATED at any game we played. Be it cards, Monopoly, chess, checkers. If there was a way to cheat that would make it so he would win, he would do it. He was always the banker when we played Monopoly, I wonder why? He taught me how to play chess when I was 8, he was 12. When he started losing, he didn't want to play me anymore. That's how some people are. They have to win at all costs. Even if it means cheating to do it.

But, since I'm new to pool(not life), I would think cheating is more along the lines of sharking or hustling someone.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

Yes.

It's also cheating to unintentionally break the rules, catch yourself without your opponent knowing and not say something.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what are some elements of cheating?

-circumventing the rules
-attempting to gain an advantage
-attempt of deception
-no intent of accepting penalty

So let's say you've got a close call on a hit. You saw that a ball didn't hit the rail but pretend like it does. Cheating!

One pocket intentional foul, not cheating! No attempt of deception and prepared to accept penalty.

Try applying those criteria to all of the other wacky sports scenarios in this thread.

And to the OP's other thoughts about the moral implications of cheating on pool, I say it's up to the individuals playing. It's comparable to golf. If you're in a tournament and there's not a ref at every table, you have to count on the players to self-police.