I thought the ABP was dead - Charlie Williams posts on Facebook to the contrary

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
We get random emails once in a while, but when we respond there was no response. I believe the players need to represented to protect their best interests, especially from fraud. Just not sure if there's staff behind the emails, they really are generic and it would be nice to have a real person responding to questions. I was ask to join and did, and received just a couple of emails after that regarding scheduling and the overseas tournament conflict. None of my friends that play seem to know anything either.

They have a log in name here CJ. But to me, it appeared that it was more than one person posting and most (if not all) questions directly posted were ignored. As a player you should feel slighted but seems they treat the fans the same way.

What did you have to do to join - just say yes? Or was there money involved for your representation by the ABP?

Lastly - Charlie Williams - as a tournament promoter - should not be involved with the ABP. That is a conflict of interest. That would be like Jerry Jones being a leader in the NFLPA. Why any player would join an organization such as the ABP and how it is loosely organized is beyond me? Not being argumentative CJ - but why would you join? What players should be doing is standing in defiance of the ABP and taking applications for someone REAL to lead them and protect them. I could put my resume in but I don't work for cheap.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
What does Last Place Pay?

They have a log in name here CJ. But to me, it appeared that it was more than one person posting and most (if not all) questions directly posted were ignored. As a player you should feel slighted but seems they treat the fans the same way.

What did you have to do to join - just say yes? Or was there money involved for your representation by the ABP?

Lastly - Charlie Williams - as a tournament promoter - should not be involved with the ABP. That is a conflict of interest. That would be like Jerry Jones being a leader in the NFLPA. Why any player would join an organization such as the ABP and how it is loosely organized is beyond me? Not being argumentative CJ - but why would you join? What players should be doing is standing in defiance of the ABP and taking applications for someone REAL to lead them and protect them. I could put my resume in but I don't work for cheap.

I was ask by Johnny Archer and will support anything he does....and I don't think he's to blame....I'm not sure why I joined, I'm not worried about getting any prize money.....they usually pay 17-24 LOL :groucho:

mmwtdh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was ask by Johnny Archer and will support anything he does....and I don't think he's to blame....I'm not sure why I joined, I'm not worried about getting any prize money.....they usually pay 17-24 LOL :groucho:

That's funny.........

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Why were the players asked/told to boycott the PI 10-ball? Was that the one that was very slow paying the players. Johnnyt

It was the one that had some slow pay - BUT they were all paid. (Not unlike BB or Trudeau).

I think the ABP press release is VERY self serving.
DP has scheduled the Johnny Archer Classic on the same dates.
CW is very close to Puyat. Makabenta is the WPA recognized event , yet Puyat got the PI torecognize him.

If they can cause Makabenta to fail, Puyat (and CW) gain. Not unlike what happend 3 or 4 years ago when a lot of the players boycotted the same event.

A lot of questionable politics which is NOT GOOD for POOL.

I also find it interesting that the ABP had served its purpose.
I guess now CW has another purpose for it.

I know, I know - the detractors will just say 'Griffin does not like CW' - that is not true.

I just don't like the way he does business. And I don't respect his business ethics. As soon as he gets a little more power, he will be (once again) threatening the venues and the players - just like he did with the UPA several years ago.

Wait and see - at least I sign my name to what I write!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Griffin

Mark:

Were the players asked to boycott the event or were they warned that the event might not go off or that they would not be paid?

Do you think they might have been right about the event?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The ABP seems to have come back to life all of a sudden. See press release on AZ home page. Johnnyt

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C.W. is a Perv,Pedophile, etc. This is well know

I dont think anyone should ever side with him.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Hilarious - the ABP has a press release to state they now have rankings how and far advanced the point system is for their players but.....

there are no points listed in their press release, either what the actual point system is or what the point totals are currently for each player

there is no website, just a gmail email account.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I had started a thread a while back asking about the status of the ABP because I noticed their website had expired. Last time I checked it was still not functioning and a google search doesn't even bring it up anymore.

Untitled.jpg

Interesting that it is now supposedly alive and well and present on facebook. Isn't that also where DP is now posting all their stuff?

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The ABP seeded list is different from the BCA list. Does this mean that ALL the ABP players they seeded will get seeded 1st in a tournament before many other good players that don't belong to the ABP no mater if some ABP are 25th on the BCA list? I guess the only tournaments that will get sactioned by the ABP are Dragon promoted tournaments. Johnnyt

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have heard that the situation is that Makabenta needs tables (see http://azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=10454). He has stated that the money will be available at tournament time. I think most of the prize money comes from the Phillipine government.

I am not sure how many tables are needed to do the event - it was scheduled for 96 palyers PLUS 12 qualifiers (total of 112).

I imagine 12 tables would do and maybe a few less.

Sebastian Chua has some tables in inventory (he sells most brands I believe) but last I heard, he has not agreed to allow them to be used.

At this point, Sebastian could also allow the Star Billiard Center to be used (for all except the TV tables at the Mall).

The politics are ugly at times in the Phillipines and I think that is what is happening here. There is a lot of friction between Puyat, Chua, and Makabenta. That is not good for pool and it just puts the players in the middle.

IF tables can be located or provided, the event can go forward.

Does anyone in the AZ land know of any tables (or a facility) to have the event?? If so, post here or contact me and I will forward the info.

Time is short so please help now if you can!!

This is the time for people to HELP pool - no throw up roadblocks.
There is more behind the scene - but that won't be revealed until this is settled out.

Mark Griffin

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The ABP seeded list is different from the BCA list. Does this mean that ALL the ABP players they seeded will get seeded 1st in a tournament before many other good players that don't belong to the ABP no mater if some ABP are 25th on the BCA list? I guess the only tournaments that will get sactioned by the ABP are Dragon promoted tournaments. Johnnyt

That's a good question but I would imagine all the monsters would be seeded whether they are ABP or not mainly because if they don't seed them then the ABP players just might draw them sooner than they would like. I mean if I'm an ABP player and the #1 seed and Orcullo is in the tournament, I'd probably want him seeded #2 whether he's in the ABP or not.

Unless of course, the real reason for the seeding is to keep DP/ABP players from having to play each other.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like the UPA, with the newly instituted ABP point system, now Charlie Williams can control which pool player goes where, especially pertaining to the Mosconi Cup. It's pool politics at its finest.

All pool players when they are members of an organization should be treated equally. The organization is supposed to be transparent.

I remember when a player ranked 19th on the so-called UPA ranking list was granted the green light to compete in Calgary while other UPA players ranked higher than him did not get selected by the president of the UPA.

Talk about history repeating itself. This is sickening.:mad:

RedEyeJedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the press release, I believe. I don't remember it telling anyone to boycott anything, just that the prize monies were not secured, and players should be informed before they invest on planes, hotels, etc. How that could be blamed for the event falling apart, I don't know.

You know what's really wrong with pool? All this cannibalism. Just imo.

C.W. is a Perv,Pedophile, etc. This is well know

I dont think anyone should ever side with him.

What does it take for someone to get banned on this forum?

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the press release, I believe. I don't remember it telling anyone to boycott anything, just that the prize monies were not secured, and players should be informed before they invest on planes, hotels, etc. How that could be blamed for the event falling apart, I don't know.

You know what's really wrong with pool? All this cannibalism. Just imo.

What does it take for someone to get banned on this forum?

I understand your thoughts. Some things, I guess, can be worded differently to get the point across.

That said, RedEyedJedi, I see you hail from Orlando. Do you know PoolGrapevine, another member of this forum? Just curious!

Where does CW live these days? Is he living in Florida too? I hear Florida is a great place for pool. With the Seminoles Tour ceasing to exist, it opens the door for Predator CW. He is sponsored by Predator, I think. :cool:

RedEyeJedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first time having a dialogue with THE Jam, so exciting! :)

I am just a kid from the sunny state, though not a very good part of it for pool; I play out of a really beaten down room with terrible tables, tons of drunks, but a few very good players. I doubt I know Poolgravevine.

I believe CW lives in the area. I've never met him, but I did see him at a show he was doing with Mika a few months ago, and he seemed a total gentleman one-on-one (which is why I struggle with people who could call him a perv, pedo, etc. -- wtf?)

I do hope there are more events in the state, whoever makes 'em happen! :grin:

FYI, Keith McCready is my pool hero.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I believe CW lives in the area. I've never met him, but I did see him at a show he was doing with Mika a few months ago, and he seemed a total gentleman one-on-one (which is why I struggle with people who could call him a perv, pedo, etc. -- wtf?)

Let's just say there is a history there, if you care to dig for it. The general theme isn't without reason, even if the terms get thrown around a bit too easily at times, perhaps...

RedEyeJedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's just say there is a history there, if you care to dig for it. The general theme isn't without reason, even if the terms get thrown around a bit too easily at times, perhaps...

That's pretty disturbing, I will have to dig for it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first time having a dialogue with THE Jam, so exciting! :)

I am just a kid from the sunny state, though not a very good part of it for pool; I play out of a really beaten down room with terrible tables, tons of drunks, but a few very good players. I doubt I know Poolgravevine.

I do hope there are more events in the state, whoever makes 'em happen! :grin:

FYI, Keith McCready is my pool hero.

Glad to meet you! :cool:

Well, you've good taste if you like Keith. I'm kind of partial to him myself. :grin-loving:

I wish I had known him when he was hitting 'em in his prime. They say he was a monster! He thinks he's still a monster on a field of green, but the pool lifestyle got to be a little abusive to both of us, in my opinion. I know he'd disagree with me on this, but I like having a roof over my head. You can't do it going to two, three, and four tournaments every month. It takes its toll on your body, mind, and soul.

Look at my Keithy in his prime. One thing about it, Keith will never have a receding hairline or go bald. He still has a head of hair on him. :grin-square:

Attachments

• Keith_McCready1.jpg
    Keith_McCready1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 263