If Bustamante Wins the World Straight Pool...

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How ironic would that be?

Throughout his entire illustrious pool career he has failed to take home a "major" tournament. But now he's already in the semifinals of the World Straight Pool tournament competing in a discipline in which (supposedly) he has never competed in a tournament setting. Not to mention that he's competing in an extremely deep, international field consisting of straight pool legends such as Sigel, Ortmann, Hohmann, Souquet, Harriman, and Hopkins. Also not to mention that he was chosen as a last minute alternate selection.

What a great pool story it would be if he wins. I'm rooting for him.
 
jsp said:
How ironic would that be?

Throughout his entire illustrious pool career he has failed to take home a "major" tournament. But now he's already in the semifinals of the World Straight Pool tournament competing in a discipline in which (supposedly) he has never competed in a tournament setting. Not to mention that he's competing in an extremely deep, international field consisting of straight pool legends such as Sigel, Ortmann, Hohmann, Souquet, Harriman, and Hopkins. Also not to mention that he was chosen as a last minute alternate selection.

What a great pool story it would be if he wins. I'm rooting for him.
me to i hope he wins he is a super nice guy and a great pool player
 
I don't why it'd be ironic.
When he won that Camel 8-ball at the Riviera about 10 years ago, I thought then it was a world title.
 
Joey's right! The Camel events had the toughest players in the world, and Django beat them all that week!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

JoeyInCali said:
I don't why it'd be ironic.
When he won that Camel 8-ball at the Riviera about 10 years ago, I thought then it was a world title.
 
TXsouthpaw said:
go busty. I always liked him. Some people say i got a stroke like him.

excecpt i suck. :):)

You must suck:wink: , cause I think there is only one person in the world that could play with that stroke.
 
Bustamante lived in Germany for 6 years, I am pretty sure he competed in some german tournaments. The field in german 14-1 tournaments are probably tougher than most 14-1 tournaments in the world...

However, he hasn't been playing much 14-1 apart from that, and he has never competed in a big international event before. But he has been playing those germans...

Still, it would be a BIG win if Django takes it home.

I am actually having big problems trying to decide who to root for from now, so I guess I will just sit back and enjoy the show.
 
Roy Steffensen said:
Bustamante lived in Germany for 6 years, I am pretty sure he competed in some german tournaments. The field in german 14-1 tournaments are probably tougher than most 14-1 tournaments in the world...

However, he hasn't been playing much 14-1 apart from that, and he has never competed in a big international event before. But he has been playing those germans...

Still, it would be a BIG win if Django takes it home.

I am actually having big problems trying to decide who to root for from now, so I guess I will just sit back and enjoy the show.

Just admit it! You are the World biggest NIELS fan ;-)
 
MyraCurfs said:
Just admit it! You are the World biggest NIELS fan ;-)



I really hope Jasmin wins it all, because it would be supercool, and she's a good friend and I wish her all the best. It would be nice to see her win, and to finally prove that women can play equal with the men!

Francisco Bustamante has never won a big major title, and he's not getting younger. I think he is a funny guy, great person and a joy to watch play. He deserves a title more than anyone in the field, and it would be great if his first major individual title was in 14-1.

Niels is the most consistent, focused and determined player I have ever seen, and he plays ALL games great at the worlds highest level. He is a true professional and I consider him as a friend. It would be great if he managed to win this. Yeah, I am a big fan of Niels, and in his match against Nick I have him as my favourite.

But if Nick wins the match against Niels, and the Championship, I will not be dissapointed at all... Nick is a great guy, he plays superb when he's on, and he is a perfect ambassador for pool. Nick is a coming World Champion, and just like Niels, he is playing all games very well.

I picked Niels as the winner of the tournament before the Championship - and of the 4 left I think he has the best of it.

So, all in all. It's really hard to decide - and I will just sit back and enjoy the show! :)

Roy - biggest fan of Jasmin, Gomez, Line, Efren, McCready, Strickland etc too ;) (Perhaps JAM is bigger fan of McCready than me, but I am definitely in top 3) :D
 
jsp said:
How ironic would that be?

Throughout his entire illustrious pool career he has failed to take home a "major" tournament. But now he's already in the semifinals of the World Straight Pool tournament competing in a discipline in which (supposedly) he has never competed in a tournament setting. Not to mention that he's competing in an extremely deep, international field consisting of straight pool legends such as Sigel, Ortmann, Hohmann, Souquet, Harriman, and Hopkins. Also not to mention that he was chosen as a last minute alternate selection.

What a great pool story it would be if he wins. I'm rooting for him.

No "major" tournament????

Go over this "small" list, I think you'll find a few "major" tournaments...

Titles and achievements

* 2007 Pool & Billiard Magazine Fans' Top 20 Favorite Players, #7
* 2007 Hard Times Summer Jamboree winner (One-pocket Division)
* 2007 Hard Times Summer Jamboree winner (Nine-ball Division)
* 2007 US Pro Tour Champion
* 2006 World Cup of Pool winner
* 2005 Masters Nine-ball Champion
* 2005 Joss Northeast Nine-ball Tour Finale Champion
* 2005 All-Filipino Billiards Open winner
* 2005 Weert Open Ten-ball Ring Game winner
* 2004 World Pool League Champion
* 2003 ESPN International Challenge of Champions winner
* 2002 All-Japan Nine-ball Champion
* 2002 ESPN Sudden Death Seven-ball Champion
* 2002 Gabriels Las Vegas International Nine-ball Champion
* 2002 Peninsula Nine-ball Open winner
* 2002 IBC Tour Stop 2 (Munich, Germany) winner
* 2002 Motolite World Nine-ball Challenge winner
* 2002 IBC Tokyo Nine-ball International winner
* 2001 World Pool Masters winner
* 2001 Turning Stone Casino Classic II winner
* 2000 Motolite International Nine-ball Champion
* 1999 ESPN International Challenge of Champions winner
* 1999 Camel Tulsa Nine-ball Open winner
* 1998 Camel Riviera Eight-ball Open winner
* 1998 World Pool Masters winner
* 1998 Camel Tulsa Nine-ball Open winner
* 1998 Camel Columbus Ten-ball Open winner
* 1998 Sands Regency Open 28 winner
* 1997 Camel Kasson Open winner
* 1997 Camel Denver Open winner
* 1993 PBT Bicycle Club Invitational winner

Busti was always my favorite player :D
It'll be great if he takes it....
 
BUSTAMANTE, ALL THE WAY.
BUSTAMANTE, ALL THE WAY.
BUSTAMANTE, ALL THE WAY, I SAY!


JAM
 

Attachments

  • Francisco_Bustamante_2[1].jpg
    Francisco_Bustamante_2[1].jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 415
Oh yeah, 14.1 is a hard game. Here you have Busta that doesn't play it and a girl in the final 4 going through a field of champions.:grin: Johnnyt
 
JoeyInCali said:
I don't why it'd be ironic.
When he won that Camel 8-ball at the Riviera about 10 years ago, I thought then it was a world title.
By the definition of the word ironic, it's ironic that Bustamante is even seen in 14.1 event. If he wins, it would be extremely ironic.

Fred <~~~ isn't it ironic?
 
A adjective
1 ironic, ironical

characterized by often poignant difference or incongruity between what is expected and what actually is; "madness, an ironic fate for such a clear thinker"; "it was ironical that the well-planned scheme failed so completely"

2 dry, ironic, ironical, wry

humorously sarcastic or mocking; "dry humor"; "an ironic remark often conveys an intended meaning obliquely"; "an ironic novel"; "an ironical smile"; "with a wry Scottish wit"
 
rossaroni said:
You must suck:wink: , cause I think there is only one person in the world that could play with that stroke.


yeah it wreaks havoc with my consistency. one minute im running a rack and the next im missing hangers in the side?:grin-square: Oh well.
 
Back
Top