Improve your game quickly

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If this match actually happens I'd be happy to donate a little bit to the people streaming it. If we all chip in, maybe there'd be enough to get good commentary, a quality stream etc.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here is the way i found to shoot my best,

often my mind strays,or gets clouded with doubt or fear of missing

Don't run !this has no pop pstchology positive talk nonsense

Here is what I find really helps me

1 I get a good look at where the object ball must go to get in the holefrom
a few seteps back

2 I make up my mind exactly where I want the cue ball to hit the object ball

3 I approach the shot with all of that decided, before i bend over bend over to shoot

4 here is the thing that I find really helps,i imagine that the object ball only needs to get started
in the right direction,so I watch the shot to see if I missed it or got it started right,I try to see the
very start of the object ball going right. I am happy to make 3 inch shots even if they must roll
another 6feet to the pocket. in my mind I am happy and have the confidence of shooting 3 inch shots

So in my mind each shot is good if I do the one thing

If I feel funny over the ball,I get up and back off and start over. For big money I get up,but for fun I get sloppy.

Never try to twist your body to get in line,it seldom works for me

One thing becomes automatic,I stay down stroking with confidence because all of this is easy, and I stay down
all the way through because I am not through shooting till I see the object ball rolling

I do not cloud my mind with instructions like stay down,don't jump up, follow through or anything else.
I see the shot,approach,bend over,hit the shot right away and make sure to see the cue ball hit the object ball

all quicker than it took to read what i just said

to me this is all I do when the pressure is on, these basics are easy and I don't cloud my mind with too many thoughtd

People tell me that I seem to shoot better for more money

To tell the truth betting high and playing in front of the croud scares me,so i reduce the game to these basics
See the shot,bend over with the aiming done,hit the ball and see the object ball move the first few inches

Before long there is nothing to worry about,my main enemy becomes carelessness

Now I am not claiming to shoot good or have any natural ability,but these basics help me shoot my best,which is often better than I thought it was

If this helps you shoot better and win money,please send me part of the profits.if you lose forget my advice

Dean

If you think even 5% of what you've listed, your mind is cluttered.

I think one word: AIM

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
liked your post

Dean, it seems to me your post was just an attempt to share what works for you when playing pool. You don't claim to be a great player or a professional pool instructor. My worst flaw is coming up off the shot. I used to tell myself to stay down until the cue ball contacted the object ball and recently I tell myself to see that contact and stay still for a count after that. Anyway, I liked your post. :)

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
Dean, it seems to me your post was just an attempt to share what works for you when playing pool. You don't claim to be a great player or a professional pool instructor. My worst flaw is coming up off the shot. I used to tell myself to stay down until the cue ball contacted the object ball and recently I tell myself to see that contact and stay still for a count after that. Anyway, I liked your post. :)

Same, I catch myself not staying down and not following through and it makes all the difference. Enjoyed the post as well, shouldn't be hammered for voicing what works for you.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Yeah...Too bad it's mostly BS information on the "instruction" part...especially the "bend over and shoot" part. :eek:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Lol, all criticism huh? What am I in NPR? No suggestion of your own on shot routine? No, you'd have to charge us all for that.

Dean please post any insight you have on the game.

I too learned to quiet the mind long ago playing golf, same thing applies in pool.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tate i don't think about mardly anything except i look at shot while i am stanging behind it until i see
where i want to hit the object ball then i bend over and hit the cue ball while looking at that collision until i see the pobject ball on the correct path
+

it all comes automatic

uless of course i bend over and get an iccky feeling,then i back off and look closely approch bend over fireawy and don't quit watch till i see the object ball moving

keep in mind i don't claim to play good

but i do think i can beat scott lee wioth nothing but a big bet

i never saw the guy hit a ball ,i just figured if he didn't know what bend over means he couldn't play a lick

peace to all

Dean,

Here's a video of him playing 9-ball.

He missed the first ball, straight in, with ball in hand.

I think you may have to spot him something.

Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LijY7gO3XoU

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
changes

Scott is/was a good guy. Saw him pretty regularly for years, I have moved into the sticks and don't see anyone much anymore. However, I have noticed a change in Scott's posts over the last few years. Instead of simply laying his and the other professional instructor's services on the table as an option he is very aggressively promoting his training and hostile about any other way. I don't know if that is deliberate or something to do with aging, even a medical problem. Different approach than what I had seen for a good many years before.

I doubt very seriously that Scott takes the bait. However, if he bets a thousand out of his own pocket I will put $100-$150 on Scott. He is a pretty decent player, what is more he is smart. I think he will play better patterns, get better shape, and probably pocket balls a little better. The difference in age may start to add up in a set too, or a nice straight pool match to say 250 for a thousand.

I don't care much for Scott's recent posting style. However unless his game has fallen off a lot in five years, unlikely hitting balls all the time, he is no pushover when he focuses on winning instead of coaching and teaching.

Gonna have to come with a lot more than a thousand for the bet to rattle Scott. Without something to throw him off his game, he wins. His personality as judged by AZB posts has went downhill. That doesn't mean his game has.

Hu

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill Porter

I always enjoy seeing your name,I think of the times at The Cotton Palace and our friend Mike the Cop
I am glad you found the comments helpful

Next time you shoot a few ballas forget about trying to stay down and having already decided where to hit
try to see thecue ball hit the object ball in the right direction. This gives you an immediate feed back plus as an extra benefit you automatically stay down and seem to lose tension because you aren't trying to do anything that is hard

best wishes
dean

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I visualize the person I hate the most in the world and if I make the shot I get to beat him with a house cue to a pulp. works wonders, I haven't missed a shot since 1969

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"How can I hit and think at the same time?" - Yogi

Dean's right. The best I ever played was when I was thinkin' about a pair of sumptuous, upwardly sloping breasts appropriately mounted on a tall, drop dead gorgeous brunette.
Couldn't miss.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For Golfers

as if I had not already showed my back side

here is a tip for golfers

instead of trying a bunch of complicated things to keep your head still,not going forward and a million little things

next time you address the ball, point your chin behind the ball a teeny bit and keep it pointing there

at least hit a few balls that way until you forget the other stuff

please don't criticize this oo much,golf used to be too technical for me and this simple idea helped me

TO SCOTT
I hear you are a great guy, I over reacted to one lousy comment
that is really nothing compared to the
rest of us

Ps i had a problem trying not to be wristy,I found it difficult to get the wrist(Billy Casper era putters have this problem)
then I got an idea that cured the problem,I began to hit wedge shots ,pitch shots,chips so super accurate because the wrist no longer created a problem

of course I was over 70 and I could no lnger hit the ball out of my shadow so my
improved short game was academic I could not get close in par figures

Don't aggravate me or I will tell more tips

Last edited:

Pangit

Banned
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott is/was a good guy. Saw him pretty regularly for years, I have moved into the sticks and don't see anyone much anymore. However, I have noticed a change in Scott's posts over the last few years. Instead of simply laying his and the other professional instructor's services on the table as an option he is very aggressively promoting his training and hostile about any other way. I don't know if that is deliberate or something to do with aging, even a medical problem. Different approach than what I had seen for a good many years before.

I doubt very seriously that Scott takes the bait. However, if he bets a thousand out of his own pocket I will put $100-$150 on Scott. He is a pretty decent player, what is more he is smart. I think he will play better patterns, get better shape, and probably pocket balls a little better. The difference in age may start to add up in a set too, or a nice straight pool match to say 250 for a thousand.

I don't care much for Scott's recent posting style. However unless his game has fallen off a lot in five years, unlikely hitting balls all the time, he is no pushover when he focuses on winning instead of coaching and teaching.

Gonna have to come with a lot more than a thousand for the bet to rattle Scott. Without something to throw him off his game, he wins. His personality as judged by AZB posts has went downhill. That doesn't mean his game has.

Hu
stellar post Hu, couldnt agree more. You really said it well.

I'd still put a 20.00 on Dean, if it ever happens, which I doubt it will, we can do a little bet in the action room., if you don't mind small fish

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott ,I hear rgood things about how you help people
i know i don't really know anything technical

i am just mentioning the things that i do that
i thought might be helpful

without formal instruction,i may not be using the proper terminology with bend over,

I don't know how to describe the move i make once my feet or settled and i am standing up seeing the shot to when i get into the stroking posituion,that is what i call bending over

don't be upset with me.you will probably get a lot of business when people realize how little guys like us know

my big problems come from not following my own proceedures,shooting when i am not locked in or indecisive

of course this may explain why i don't play so good

if you guys really want to get good ,Randy aand Scott might be helpful

i never had formal instruction,i just figured this out and it worked for me
as far as it went

best wishes fellas
i did not mean to step into another man's business

dean

If this Forum has reached the point where one can't offer some thoughts regarding playing pool, the Administrator needs to start charging the "real" Instructors and we can all be students and pay a fee to learn.

I often wonder how many of the "instructors" have gambled at all, especially have they been involved in high dollar games?

Dean offered some decent thoughts and points regarding approaching the shot with focus.

I don't recall he said "'My way is the only way to play". I believe his past history is proof of his willingness to gamble and gamble big.

Write a book, Dean, and title it "How to win big, playing my way"! We might all want a copy.