Jay Helfert resigned as Tourney Director at the US Open

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fran, I like and respect both you and Jay so I want to be fair and take everyone's point of view into consideration.

By the way, it sucks when someone else's actions comes between friends.

If you were Barry and ( somehow) Allen's name had been left off the players list, how would you personally have handled it?

I'm a little torn myself

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
i may have missed something, but:

if Allen were onsite days before the draw
and Barry were onsite days before the draw

why didn't either, notice that Allen wasn't on the board?

were neither present at the Players' Meeting?
were neither present at the draw?
is that because it's not mandatory for "players" to be present @ their meeting?
was the board not posted until after the draw?

PL <---- waiting for Barry to once again, lay the blame on Roberta

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Great questions. But what's your opinion on changing the bracket once the draw was completed? It's not like Allen's name was thrown in the hat before the draw.

i may have missed something, but:

if Allen were onsite days before the draw
and Barry were onsite days before the draw

why didn't either, notice that Allen wasn't on the board?

were neither present at the Players' Meeting?
were neither present at the draw?
is that because it's not mandatory for "players" to be present @ their meeting?
was the board not posted until after the draw?

PL <---- waiting for Barry to once again, lay the blame on Roberta

I believe someone close to you is very good friends with Jay Helfert. I do understand loyalty to friendship, and I admire that. :smile:

To criticize someone for putting on an event like the Super Billiards Expo, a very successful event, I might add, by lacing it with mean-spirited words is not necessary. Of course, they are supposed to make a profit. Otherwise, why do it? Should pool industry members work for free? I guess I do not understand all the negativity towards Allen. Does there have to be sides in this?

Every large tournament I have ever been to has been problematic. Nothing runs smoothly, and there's always something that slips through the cracks. As I know you know, you cannot please everybody when it comes to a pool event.

This incident is an unfortunate circumstance. If a promoter told Keith his name was on the tournament roster, we would have no reason to double-check. We'd pack up our belongins and drive to the event. This is absurd to think that Allen should checked and double-checked before leaving New Jersey to travel to Virginia if he was promised a spot.

Allen has as much integrity in the pool industry as Jay Helfert does. There's no reason to pick sides and barbecue somebody because you don't like the fact that they make a profit in poool. Heck, if I could figure out a way to make a living in pool, I sure as heck wouldn't be up at 3 a.m. to begin my boring workday.

Take care. I hope you interpret my post in the spirit that it is meant. Enjoy the finals today. Should be a good one. :cool:

and you JAM have someone very close to allen..keith and allen are buddies...you posted pictures of keith and allen at some tournament....not picking a fight with you but you just seem very hypocritical right now

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it had been Shane Van Boening, what would you have seriously done?

First of all if I didn't see Shane's name on the player list I would have inquired why. I didn't necessarily expect to see Allen's name on it. This couldn't have happened with a premier player like Shane but if somehow it did, my stance remains the same. Let's just say for supposition that Shane wasn't able to play but showed up anyway at the last minute, AFTER THE DRAW. I would have told him that he had to wait until next year as the draw had already been completed. I hope that answers your question.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
First of all if I didn't see Shane's name on the player list I would have inquired why. I didn't necessarily expect to see Allen's name on it. This couldn't have happened with a premier player like Shane but if somehow it did, my stance remains the same. Let's just say for supposition that Shane wasn't able to play but showed up anyway at the last minute, AFTER THE DRAW. I would have told him that he had to wait until next year as the draw had already been completed. I hope that answers your question.

My questions were all anwered with your very first post. Thank God their are honorable men left in this world.

If this was adjudicated in a court of law, Barry would've gotten life in prison based on the 3 strikes and your out laws. Allen would've gotten a 10 year sentence and had his "promoters" license yanked. Fran would've gotten held in contempt of court for jury tampering and giving fraudulent testimony. Poor Jennie, I'm not sure she would've been disbarred, but clearly her criminal defense law practice would be on life support.

The only one who walks out of that court room unscathed, with his head held high is Jay.

An honorable mention to Mike H for unlocking this thread.

Wilson of course would be on 3 years probation for an attempt at obstruction of justice.

Court is in recess!!!!!!!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No doubt a passionate discussion, and everyone has the right to dig their heels in regards to their beliefs, no matter how right or wrong you may be. But we don't need to chastise, belittle or insult others simply because we disagree.

No matter what side you fall on most of us believe that the US Open is an important topic, hence this threads popularity. We all can agree that an Open title would bring the champion a sense of accomplishment to last their entire lifetime. It would be something to cherish.

In this thread we have those that thrive on nostalgia of past years and past champions. Their deepest wish would be another glimpse of the past, a flashback, or a chance to see past champions like Allen and others compete, a field of dreams. And yes, that's me too. How awesome would it be to see Nick Varner or Buddy Hall win the US Open again. Or even see an ex, aged Champion go deep, oh the excitement that would create. They could video tape it and take a bunch of photos and talk about it for 20 more years. It would be the highlight of their life to see. And some (not all) of this group are willing to bend the rules for this type of enjoyment. I love these fans. They have passion for the sport. Pool needs these types of fans.

In this thread we also have those more conservative believers that surmise, in no uncertain terms, that a competition of this magnitude and prestige must follow the rules to the highest level. The Promoter, TD and other officials must act above and beyond reproach 100% of the time. They also believe if these officials act in any way dishonest or unfair as they execute their duties those actions would diminish the validity and prestige of the event outcome. I love these fans. They have passion for the sport. Pool needs these types of fans.

Both of these types of fans will likely never change their opinion on this topic. And that's OK. I see both sides but in this case the conservatives trump the dreamers. It's OK to wish, hope and dream. But there's too much on the line not to follow the rules to the letter, period!

I believe, after the fact, all of this is Barry's fault, he screwed the pooch as usual. I also believe that it is extremely unfair and down right insulting to Allen that he was promised a spot and the bracket was drawn without him on it. That stinks to high heaven for sure. But Allen was wrong for playing, he knows better. Jay was right for resigning his duties because he believed he could no longer fulfill his duties in good faith.

The fact is it should have been inconsequential that Allen was promised a spot once the brackets were drawn. Case should have been closed! It's Barry's fault, period.

:bow-down:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
If this was adjudicated in a court of law, Barry would've gotten life in prison based on the 3 strikes and your out laws. Allen would've gotten a 10 year sentence and had his "promoters" license yanked. Fran would've gotten held in contempt of court for jury tampering and giving fraudulent testimony. Poor Jennie, I'm not sure she would've been disbarred, but clearly her criminal defense law practice would be on life support.

The only one who walks out of that court room unscathed, with his head held high is Jay.

An honorable mention to Mike H for unlocking this thread.

Wilson of course would be on 3 years probation for an attempt at obstruction of justice.

Court is in recess!!!!!!!

you buckin' for Post of the Year? :thumbup:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Great questions. But what's your opinion on changing the bracket once the draw was completed? It's not like Allen's name was thrown in the hat before the draw.

i think it's bullshit.

i think this thread is a prime example of WHY, there should be a DEADLINE on registrations & cancellations; SOP.

i think that Allen should have bowed out, and any player who sides with his views was obviously not raised in a man's world of pool, as i was, in Detroit.

i think that Jay realized that he was usurped in his "powers".

i know there were other issues where Barry didn't cover all bases for players, nor respond; minute in comparison.

i think your earlier post today was poignant; well said!

i side with Jay.

does this answer your question from a "woman's" point of view? :cool:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Dang PINKLADY, you're from Detroit? Your internet hotness has gone up

I get you, earlier you were just pissed about the lack of process.

We are on the same page..

i think it's bullshit.

i think this thread is a prime example of WHY, there should be a DEADLINE on registrations & cancellations; SOP.

i think that Allen should have bowed out, and any player who sides with his views was obviously not raised in a man's world of pool, as i was, in Detroit.

i know there were other issues where Barry didn't cover all bases for players, nor respond; minute in comparison.

i side with Jay.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
i think it's bullshit.

i side with Jay.

x

This PINKLADY is as sharp as a tack. Read the above for proof.
You Go Girl !!!

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
PINKLADY,

Your inbox is full so I can't reply to your PM

I can paste it in the main thread but I've talked shit about some people in here.

I agree with your PM.

Clear your inbox or I'm going public directly in the thread.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
PINKLADY,

Your inbox is full so I can't reply to your PM

I can paste it in the main thread but I've talked shit about some people in here.

I agree with your PM.

Don't worry about her, she's one of US, and can take all the heat they can dish out.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member

AZB Rule #1 - PMs are P&C/Personal & Confidential

here's what stood out immediately when Jay posted, as well corroborated by my past conversations with Barry, (while swearing his sobriety):

....I had put up with two days of Barry's incoherent and often abusive ramblings and now he decided to manipulate the tournament board....

....He was so inebriated on the first day of the tournament that he actually fell out of the grandstands! With a loud crash I might add.
....Barry had to find a way to fuc' it up and he did.

it's all i needed to know, regarding this issue. but the additional facts, helped. i'm still waiting on answers to my previous questions - albeit i already know. ;)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Funny how the very few people siding with Allen because he's a friend of theirs, are the same ones you hear, "And this is what's wrong with pool". LMAO. Johnnyt

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt a passionate discussion, and everyone has the right to dig their heels in regards to their beliefs, no matter how right or wrong you may be. But we don't need to chastise, belittle or insult others simply because we disagree.

No matter what side you fall on most of us believe that the US Open is an important topic, hence this threads popularity. We all can agree that an Open title would bring the champion a sense of accomplishment to last their entire lifetime. It would be something to cherish.

In this thread we have those that thrive on nostalgia of past years and past champions. Their deepest wish would be another glimpse of the past, a flashback, or a chance to see past champions like Allen and others compete, a field of dreams. And yes, that's me too. How awesome would it be to see Nick Varner or Buddy Hall win the US Open again. Or even see an ex, aged Champion go deep, oh the excitement that would create. They could video tape it and take a bunch of photos and talk about it for 20 more years. It would be the highlight of their life to see. And some (not all) of this group are willing to bend the rules for this type of enjoyment. I love these fans. They have passion for the sport. Pool needs these types of fans.

In this thread we also have those more conservative believers that surmise, in no uncertain terms, that a competition of this magnitude and prestige must follow the rules to the highest level. The Promoter, TD and other officials must act above and beyond reproach 100% of the time. They also believe if these officials act in any way dishonest or unfair as they execute their duties those actions would diminish the validity and prestige of the event outcome. I love these fans. They have passion for the sport. Pool needs these types of fans.

Both of these types of fans will likely never change their opinion on this topic. And that's OK. I see both sides but in this case the conservatives trump the dreamers. It's OK to wish, hope and dream. But there's too much on the line not to follow the rules to the letter, period!

I believe, after the fact, all of this is Barry's fault, he screwed the pooch as usual. I also believe that it is extremely unfair and down right insulting to Allen that he was promised a spot and the bracket was drawn without him on it. That stinks to high heaven for sure. But Allen was wrong for playing, he knows better. Jay was right for resigning his duties because he believed he could no longer fulfill his duties in good faith.

The fact is it should have been inconsequential that Allen was promised a spot once the brackets were drawn. Case should have been closed! It's Barry's fault, period.

This is one of the *best* posts I have read on this forum from you. It is well written and covers a lot of territory.

I was with you all the way until you got to the end about Allen. If it had been Keith who was promised a spot in the tournament and we planned to attend this event by me taking off work, saving a couple grand to pay for expenses, making hotel arrangements, packing our clothes for a week, arriving 2 days early to practice and get settled in so Keith would be able to perform well, we both would have extremely upset.

A mistake was made, an oversight, and because of this, everybody has a different takeaway on how it should have been handled. Allen's good name has been slighted, and he did nothing wrong. In the end, whether any of us like it or not, the promoter has the final say. He's adding the the extra monies, and it is his call when things come to a head, as it has here. Of course Jay is free to do what he believes is the right thing, and he did.

And sometimes players never check the chart until they make time to go over to where the chart is displayed. They may be at Q-Masters practicing or enjoying the local sights or visiting with friends or entertaining in their hotel rooms. Not all players scramble to the tournament chart as soon as it is done. They just don't. I'm sure Allen didn't give a hoot *who* he played. He just wanted to compete. He had been gearing up for this tournament back home by practicing his game, llong before day one. Efren Reyes is 61 years old, and he's still capable of scoring a big W, and so is a champion like Allen. Further, it's not always about the win. It's about getting out of the stable and running the race. This is what Allen wanted to do.

Everyone, as Hungarian states so eloquently, is entitled to their opinion, but to throw insults at other members like Fran is why this forum has become unpopular with many industry members, pro players, instructional authors, pool's fourth estate, and Hall of Famers. You can disgaree, like Hungarian has done in his/her closing paragraph, without attacking others.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and you JAM have someone very close to allen..keith and allen are buddies...you posted pictures of keith and allen at some tournament....not picking a fight with you but you just seem very hypocritical right now

Very good point, and this is true, but I did not insult Jay the way Allen was insulted in that one post. Go re-read it and let me know what you think, whether Allen was insulted or not about things that had *nothing* to do with the subject matter of this thread.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny how the very few people siding with Allen because he's a friend of theirs, are the same ones you hear, "And this is what's wrong with pool". LMAO. Johnnyt

Johnnyt, I like you and respect your passion for pool as many years as you have been playing.

With that said, you have been creating posts on this forum months ago about the Open, what's wrong with it, are they going to get enough players, where's the money, problems with the venue. You had the Open condemned before it even began. I realize you don't care for the Open or Barry, and that is certainly your prerogative.

So I will "LMAO" back at you. Do you have anything nice to say about anything pertaining to pool, or is it always negativity that spews from yoru fingertips on this pool forum?