Jay Helfert

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Wych can give basic commentary??

You DO know he was one of the top snooker players in the world, at one point, right? He played a hill hill 9 ball match with Efren in the mid 2000s.

LOL.
Yeah, add him to the list of everyone who ever thought that shooting kinda straight, meant they were good at other things as well.
He is and always has been very annoying in the booth.
No insight as to what the possibilities on the table are, whatsoever.
He gives you simple generic stuff.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm glad that so many of you enjoyed the commentary for the wonderful Mosconi Cup, and I'm sorry that we couldn't please everybody. I learned long ago that you will never please everyone no matter what you do, so you must expect some criticism each time you try.

I've worked extensively on live stream and on television as well. I can tell you they are two different animals. On streaming shows you can let it all hang out and not have to worry about a director yelling in your ear. Some commentators that are enjoyable on stream would not do well on live TV and the producers and directors are aware of that. One such guy tried to get on this particular show and was turned down.

I know that I'm not perfect and may make a mistake once in a while, but I'm human and it's live. There are no second takes. I feel comfortable with my knowledge of the game and the various options available on each shot, but I can be fooled by a creative player like Corey or especially Efren. I won't call it right every time, but I would bet anyone on here I get it right the great majority of the time (say 80% or more). I'm talking about things like whether a player will push or play safe and whether his opponent will take the shot or pass it back; how a player will play a safe and how someone will attempt to execute a kick shot; what their chances are for success on a kick or a jump shot; stuff like that. Not just simple things like how they play position from ball to ball. That's just Pool 101.

I may be the only commentator who frequently calls missed shots BEFORE they happen. That's something I've done based on how a player sets up and gets down on a shot. Call it instinct, but I can often tell he's just not right for whatever reason.

What a television director typically looks for is someone they can rely on to show up on time and be prepared. A good clear voice, a decent vocabulary and competent use of the language is also important. Being able to work with the crew and get along with everybody counts here as well. Knowledge of the game and the ability to share it with the audience is one more thing they're looking for. Finally, good commentary is delivered in sound bites, not long speeches. If you can describe what happened in one sentence you've done well. A little enthusiasm goes a long way and being totally honest with your viewers is one more attribute they look for. Sounds easy huh!

I'm proud to be associated with two excellent commentators in Jerry Forsyth and Jimmy Wych. We work well together as a team (and have for seven years now) and get along well off the set also. Jerry and I tend to see and remark on the same things quite often and have even been confused with each other when commentating. Jimmy is a total pro, always on time with his delivery and someone that you can rely on 100% to have your back when in the booth with him. I look forward to many more years working with these two guys!

Last edited:

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad that so many of you enjoyed the commentary for the wonderful Mosconi Cup, and I'm sorry that we couldn't please everybody. I learned long ago that you will never please everyone no matter what you do, so you must expect some criticism each time you try.

I've worked extensively on live stream and on television as well. I can tell you they are two different animals. On streaming shows you can let it all hang out and not have to worry about a director yelling in your ear. Some commentators that are enjoyable on stream would not do well on live TV and the producers and directors are aware of that. One such guy tried to get on this particular show and was turned down.

I know that I'm not perfect and may make a mistake once in a while, but I'm human and it's live. There are no second takes. I feel comfortable with my knowledge of the game and the various options available on each shot, but I can be fooled by a creative player like Corey or especially Efren. I won't call it right every time, but I would bet anyone on here I get it right the great majority of the time (say 80% or more). I'm talking about things like whether a player will push or play safe and whether his opponent will take the shot or pass it back; how a player will play a safe and how someone will attempt to execute a kick shot; what their chances are for success on a kick or a jump shot; stuff like that. Not just simple things like how they play position from ball to ball. That's just Pool 101.

I may be the only commentator who frequently calls missed shots BEFORE they happen. That is something that I have often done based on how a player sets up and gets down on a shot. Call it instinct, but I can often tell he's just not right for whatever reason.

What a television director typically looks for is someone they can rely on to show up on time and be prepared. A good clear voice, a decent vocabulary and competent use of the language is also important. Being able to work with the crew and get along with everybody counts here as well. Knowledge of the game and the ability to share it with the audience is one more thing they like to see. Finally, good commentary is delivered in sound bites, not long speeches. If you can describe what happened in one sentence you've done well. A little enthusiasm goes a long way and being totally honest with your viewers is one more attribute they look for. Sounds easy huh!

I'm proud to be associated with two excellent commentators in Jerry Forsyth and Jimmy Wych. We work well together as a team (and have for seven years now) and get along well off the set also. Jerry and I tend to see and remark on the same things quite often and have even been confused with each other when commentating. Jimmy is a total pro, always on time with his delivery and someone that you can rely on 100% to have your back when in the booth with him. I look forward to many more years working with these two guys!

Jay keep up the great work. I enjoy your commentating and your knowledge of the game.Knockers are always going to be knockers. It's jealousy.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hear hear

That's a pretty classy response to a pretty critical and negative thread about one's commentating abilities; Jay, you are the man.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen a Mosconi cup live.

Are the players allowed practice time between matches or is it like an amateur league situation where you have one table and you wait for your turn in the rotation?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Are the players allowed practice time between matches or is it like an amateur league situation where you have one table and you wait for your turn in the rotation?

There is a practice room for each team with a similar Diamond table in it. They can practice there whenever they like.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

I believe both teams have a practice table and the player or players that are up next practice until just before they are called out.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the replies.

I would like to see an American team win, but in the end I'm a pool fan who appreciates good matches.

All this American team can do is shake the other teams hand and be determined to practice twice as hard for a better showing next time. All I as a non-participating Mosconi cup American fan can do is be appreciative of witnessing good pool and hope for a different result the next time they play.

Flaming either side and the people who make the Mosconi cup possible is counter productive.

Meanwhile "why the hell do the Minnesota Vikings keep choking in the biggest games" Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sir,

Any table that has new cloth....will allow a ball to slide in. Absolutely.

You can't call that tight.

A table isn't both tight and loose. If it lets balls in that normally won't....it's loose. We aren't debating the why. We are debating the truth.

After reading your post i asked a friend who knows pool pretty well if a table could be both tight and loose. He said yes it could. It could have tight pockets (smaller than normal/tight) But it could also play loose. (new felt) This was my thinking also and is why i asked his opinion. So a table CAN be both tight and loose....lol:eek:

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are always complaints about poorly hit balls sliding in off new cloth.

If new cloth is installed for a tournament, why not use a buffing wheel, etc. to break in the rail cloth before play?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are always complaints about poorly hit balls sliding in off new cloth.

If new cloth is installed for a tournament, why not use a buffing wheel, etc. to break in the rail cloth before play?

Ive heard of old timers rubbing chalk into the rail, then brushing it out. Dont know how well it would work...... seems a little much to me.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pass or two with a buffing wheel on the rails should be enough to break them in. Less than five minutes per table?

Compare that to a couple days of tournament play. You would have to hit a lot of balls into the rail and you still wouldn't come close.

Oscar is a top player, a table mechanic, and he runs the Mezz West States Tour. I would like to get his opinion on this.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mosconi Cup couldn't ask for any better commentators than what they had this year. Jay, Jerry, and Jim -- the Three J's -- were the best. Each one complemented each other in the booth.

Jerry, because of his accent, will always be my favorite to listen to. I'm a sucker for a Southern accent, but his knowledge of the game stems back decades and shows up in his commentary. He has a colorful tone to his voice when he gets excited at a good shot.

Jay's voice is soothing. He is an excellent voice for broadcasting. He is an active player, knows all pocket billiard games, and he also knows the players well. Having this kind of insight is a bonus when he's in the booth.

Jim's ability to put action into words is phenomenal. He has traveled the world, far and near, and understands a lot about the game strategies. Jim doesn't stutter and knows when to be quiet and when to speak up. He has good broadcasting sense. I like listening to Jim.

The Three J's were a hit this year at the Cup, as far as I'm concerned. I can think of no better ones. I hope the Three J's are in England next year for Mosconi Cup 2016.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Mosconi Cup couldn't ask for any better commentators than what they had this year. Jay, Jerry, and Jim -- the Three J's -- were the best. Each one complemented each other in the booth.

Jerry, because of his accent, will always be my favorite to listen to. I'm a sucker for a Southern accent, but his knowledge of the game stems back decades and shows up in his commentary. He has a colorful tone to his voice when he gets excited at a good shot.

Jay's voice is soothing. He is an excellent voice for broadcasting. He is an active player, knows all pocket billiard games, and he also knows the players well. Having this kind of insight is a bonus when he's in the booth.

Jim's ability to put action into words is phenomenal. He has traveled the world, far and near, and understands a lot about the game strategies. Jim doesn't stutter and knows when to be quiet and when to speak up. He has good broadcasting sense. I like listening to Jim.

The Three J's were a hit this year at the Cup, as far as I'm concerned. I can think of no better ones. I hope the Three J's are in England next year for Mosconi Cup 2016.

Thank you Jam! It's nice to hear this, coming from someone who has an extensive background in our sport and knows of what she speaks. There will always be "knockers" in our sport, it's inevitable. It usually stems from jealousy or some of their own failings which they prefer to project on someone else rather than take responsibility for.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many people fancy themselves to be good at everything & just because they can see on the TV screen what the player is going to do they assume they could do your job & say it aloud, in a clear voice without stumbling over themselves. I believe your job is quite difficult & if most people here tried it they'd likely realize how difficult it is.

It's rather funny because some of the people saying how awful you were are the same ones who constantly wonder what's wrong with pool or claim they're fixing pool. Disparaging a person such as yourself isn't accomplishing any of those things. Thanks to you Jay Helfert

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Jam! It's nice to hear this, coming from someone who has an extensive background in our sport and knows of what she speaks. There will always be "knockers" in our sport, it's inevitable. It usually stems from jealousy or some of their own failings which they prefer to project on someone else rather than take responsibility for.

You mean like you did with your bet about Buddy? BTW he found out and isn't real happy with you....