Jay Helfert's book - available for Christmas!

DRW said:
Roy, we all have to be patient. It is my understanding that Jay has turned the first draft over to his good friend Fatboy for editing.

yes thats correct I have all the puncituation finished, started on the grammar and expect to have the spelling buttened up and finished in about 3-4 more weeks, I did get a press date of Oct 15 for the 1st printing. I'm very excited and appericate everyones confidence and support.
 
Fatboy said:
yes thats correct I have all the puncituation finished, started on the grammar and expect to have the spelling buttened up and finished in about 3-4 more weeks, I did get a press date of Oct 15 for the 1st printing. I'm very excited and appericate everyones confidence and support.

Is that really you Fatboy? I can only find two spelling errors in this post. I think you had help. :smile:
 
freddy the beard said:
Jay, do you intend to make it kind of an semi-expose'? Youre not going to get into the sex habits and preferences of the old road players are you? If so, dont forget to mention that most of the guys used to make the really young ones show I.D.

the Beard

Don't worry Freddie, all bearded preverts will not be named! :eek:

P.S. A prevert is like a pervert but with fewer redeeming qualities. And a wider range of vices. :)
 
Last edited:
Seriously Jay, please have a pro ediit the book. We dont need another embarrassment for our sport. One recent pool book spelled privilege with a 'd' throughout in addition to every other error you could make including math.
 
Fatboy said:
yes thats correct I have all the puncituation finished, started on the grammar and expect to have the spelling buttened up and finished in about 3-4 more weeks, I did get a press date of Oct 15 for the 1st printing. I'm very excited and appericate everyones confidence and support.
LOL, 2 out of 3 aint bad Jay.
 
Nostroke said:
Seriously Jay, please have a pro ediit the book. We dont need another embarrassment for our sport. One recent pool book spelled privilege with a 'd' throughout in addition to every other error you could make including math.

I'm pretty good at grammar and punctuation, but I have one question. If I say "Here he comes." Do I put the quotes outside the period or before it, as in "Here he comes". Which is correct? That always confuses me. And I have a lot of quotes in my book.
 
jay helfert said:
Is that really you Fatboy? I can only find two spelling errors in this post. I think you had help. :smile:

I'd lay you 10 to 1 that somebody helped him type it, but I counted more than two. So odds are that he wrote it himself! :grin-square:


Fatboy said:
yes thats correct I have all the puncituation finished, started on the grammar and expect to have the spelling buttened up and finished in about 3-4 more weeks, I did get a press date of Oct 15 for the 1st printing. I'm very excited and appericate everyones confidence and support.

1. Needs capital "Y" for "yes" at beginning of sentence
2. No comma or period after "yes"
3. No apostrophe in "that's"
4. No period after "correct"
5. No space after period
6. "Punctuation" spelled wrong
7. "Buttoned" spelled wrong
8. Comma used instead of period.
9. "Appreciate" spelled wrong
10. No apostrophe in "everyone's"

Just joking with you and pulling your leg, Eric. :nanner:

JAM
 
jay helfert said:
I'm pretty good at grammar and punctuation, but I have one question. If I say "Here he comes." Do I put the quotes outside the period or before it, as in "Here he comes". Which is correct? That always confuses me. And I have a lot of quotes in my book.

I have a little bit of expertise in this area! :grin-square:

The common method is to place the quotes outside of the punctuation mark, EXCEPT with semicolons and a quote within question that is a statement quote and not a question quote.

Wikipedia and some other organizations, usually British based, use quotation marks INSIDE the punctuation, but it truly is not commonplace, at least here in the States.

I said, "Here he comes." - correct
Did he say to you, "Here he comes"? - correct

JAM

ETA: Here is one of MANY references you can find on the Internet, Jay: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_quote.html

Before the Internet, I used to purchase reference books, and I have many of them. Everybody in my industry always places quotation marks OUTSIDE, with a few exceptions.
 
Last edited:
jay helfert said:
I'm pretty good at grammar and punctuation, but I have one question. If I say "Here he comes." Do I put the quotes outside the period or before it, as in "Here he comes". Which is correct? That always confuses me. And I have a lot of quotes in my book.

One thing I would suggest is to have another set of eyes READ and PROOF your draft copy before submitting it to the publisher. :smile:

Though it may cost you a little, it will be WELL WORTH it as far as the end product. Once it goes to the publisher, it's too late. There's nothing worse than reading a book, newspaper, or magazine with typos, spelling errors, and poor punctuation structure, IMHO!

JAM
 
Lol

jay helfert said:
You guys crack me up! Just for that you don't get an autographed copy of "Jay Helfert's Miracle Cures For The Inept Pool Player". :thumbup:

That... is some funny stuff. Rep coming your way as soon as I can!!
 
Will the book explain what happened to the LA Expo/Tournaments? I thought it was a good idea but maybe there isnt enough pool interest on the west coast
 
Spade said:
Will the book explain what happened to the LA Expo/Tournaments? I thought it was a good idea but maybe there isnt enough pool interest on the west coast

If you believe that there is no pool interest on the West Coast, you need to get out more.

JAM
 
I hope to see at least one chapter entitled... They called me Toupee, it's roots and related stories . :grin-square:
 
The book

Do we have to send Kevin Truedau 3-easy payments of $39.95 plus S & H?

If we call in the next ten minutes will he reduce it to 2-easy payments?

1-800-call-kev

I finally saw one of his infomercials the other night...very funny
 
One more trick

JAM said:
One thing I would suggest is to have another set of eyes READ and PROOF your draft copy before submitting it to the publisher. :smile:

Though it may cost you a little, it will be WELL WORTH it as far as the end product. Once it goes to the publisher, it's too late. There's nothing worse than reading a book, newspaper, or magazine with typos, spelling errors, and poor punctuation structure, IMHO!

JAM

JAM is correct but I also find when I want to proof something I read it backwards. If you do this, the errors stand out clearly.

Just trying to help,

Ken
 
JAM said:
If you believe that there is no pool interest on the West Coast, you need to get out more.

JAM


Jam

There really isn't much interest here in the SoCal area. Right now Hollywood Billiards is doing several tournaments. We will see if they keep
that up next year.
Danny Ks has their events and they are great. DKs is a really nice pool room and a well run biz. They don't cater to much to the players and seem to have a solid following. Nice fun place and awesome to catch a
game or sports event.

There aren't mini-tours here and very very few Pro events.

Its nothing like your area and the south.

I have talked a couple times with a casino here about having an event. Still talking. If I did it I was thinking about an Am event with a smaller
invitational Pro event. All still very early. Just trying to feel it out.
 
frankncali said:
Jam

There really isn't much interest here in the SoCal area. Right now Hollywood Billiards is doing several tournaments. We will see if they keep
that up next year.
Danny Ks has their events and they are great. DKs is a really nice pool room and a well run biz. They don't cater to much to the players and seem to have a solid following. Nice fun place and awesome to catch a
game or sports event.

There aren't mini-tours here and very very few Pro events.

Its nothing like your area and the south.

I have talked a couple times with a casino here about having an event. Still talking. If I did it I was thinking about an Am event with a smaller
invitational Pro event. All still very early. Just trying to feel it out.

Just my opinion, but my area isn't as plentiful as you might think. Maybe the grass seems greener on the other side of the coast! :thumbup:

I seem to read more tournaments happening in California, Arizona, and Washington State, in particular, than in my neck of the woods.

If you're talking about the South, like Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas, I sure do agree with you! Makes me want to move. Cost of living is a whole lot cheaper than it is here. Maybe I could afford to follow the tournament trail once more! :p

JAM
 
JAM said:
Just my opinion, but my area isn't as plentiful as you might think. Maybe the grass seems greener on the other side of the coast! :thumbup:

I seem to read more tournaments happening in California, Arizona, and Washington State, in particular, than in my neck of the woods.

If you're talking about the South, like Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas, I sure do agree with you! Makes me want to move. Cost of living is a whole lot cheaper than it is here. Maybe I could afford to follow the tournament trail once more! :p

JAM



My sister lives outside of DC and I was surprised at the cost of living there. Its pretty high.
Moving to the south might be a good option for Keith. He is loved down there and tournaments seem to be happpening all the time.

This weekend we have two events to choose from which is a bit rare. Theres an 8ball big table event and a 9ball. Not sure if I am playing either just yet. Last weeks 7 days in Vegas might have put me into the railbirds
section for this one.
 
jay helfert said:
I'm pretty good at grammar and punctuation, but I have one question. If I say "Here he comes." Do I put the quotes outside the period or before it, as in "Here he comes". Which is correct? That always confuses me. And I have a lot of quotes in my book.

A rule of thumb: If it's a complete sentence, punctuate it inside the quotes. If not, don't.

He said, "This is a complete sentence."

This is not a "complete sentence".

pj
chgo
 
Last edited:
jay helfert said:
You guys crack me up! Just for that you don't get an autographed copy of "Jay Helfert's Miracle Cures For The Inept Pool Player". :thumbup:

This book should be easy to proof, as it would only be 2 words long.

"Quit playing."

Since there is no "Miracle Cure" for an inept player. :)

ps...Note the quotes :)
 
Back
Top