Jeanette Lee's version - it's different

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Jeanette Lee contacted me yesterday evening when she heard there was some controversy regarding her decision to withdraw from the tournament last weekend; and asked me to present the details (which are significantly different than presented in the other threads) and to explain her motives (which are VERY different than those proposed and speculated upon in the other threads).

She was quite reluctant to do this, as it is not a flattering story regarding the person who bought her in the Calcutta; but felt forced to respond to clarify things for her fans, who might be confused by the large amount of misinformation and speculation on the forum (unfortunately par for the course here on AZB?we LOVE to speculate and pontificate).

#1. She did NOT enter the tournament to ?take off? a ?C tournament? as has been proposed elsewhere. She has tremendous respect for Brian Gregg (and his partner Jack Taylor), considers him a good friend, and wants to support his ventures in any way possible. She also enjoys the competition (which is QUITE strong ? open to local players such as Brian Gregg, Steve Oaks, Jeff Beckley, Everett Snow, Tony Blankenship, Brian Groce, George Breedlove, Dan Walden?.Efren does NOT have to win this thing if he enters). She takes time away from family and business to play in these events in hopes of helping to promote the local pool scene. The money involved is small, insignificant, and played NO part in her decisions. She was ASKED by the promoters to participate as often as she can to help the tournament.

#2. She felt forced to withdraw and forfeit because of the extreme rudeness and poor behavior of person who bought her in the Calcutta, NOT through any petulant desire to make a few bucks at the last minute ? the money had NOTHING to do with it. Also, it was NOT THE LAST MATCH OF THE TOURNAMENT when she withdrew, just near the end of the winner?s bracket (the person to whom she forfeited had 2 or 3 more matches to play afterward). Here is the sequence of events:

Jeanette did not buy herself in the Calcutta; and in fact almost never bids on herself (it just drives up the price, and someone always bids on her). As most local players know, she almost always offers to split with the person that does buy her. Unfortunately, when the person who bought her came up to her and offered her half, she stated she would PROBABLY buy half, but wanted to wait a few minutes and check things out. This was definitely a mistake on her part, because though she decided nearly immediately that she wanted to buy half, she then had to get back on the phone and computer, and started with her matches; totally forgetting about the Calcutta. During their initial conversation the buyer seemed understanding and polite.

As the first match began, she did remember the Calcutta, but could NOT initially remember what the buyer looked like (she is approached by a LOT of people at every pool event she attends). She then asked Brian Gregg to find the buyer and let him know that she would take half of herself. Brian told her that he DID find the buyer, and that the buyer WAS in agreement. A few matches later, the buyer had not approached her for the money, and she had been too busy to find him; so she again asked Brian Gregg to remind the buyer that she was in for half. Brian did so, and told Jeanette that the buyer had responded ?That?s fine.? Nesli O?Hare was with Brian at this time, and confirms that this is what the buyer said in agreement. Jeanette felt that an agreement was in place, but did want to pay him at the first opportunity. The buyer never approached her for payment.

Near the end of the winner?s bracket (NOT the finals of the tournament, NOT the finals of the winner?s bracket), Jeanette had the buyer paged to the desk; wanting to pay him her share. Evidently at this point the buyer changed his mind and now wished to renege on his verbal agreement to buy half, and that he should have been paid the cash ahead of time. He let loose with an extremely rude and accusatory tone; flatly implying that there was no agreement since he had not been paid, and that she was lying about her intentions (despite his conversations with Brian Gregg); declaring, ?Well, you had time to get on the microphone and talk about your school, talk to your friends, and you couldn?t come up with $70.? Jeanette states that, ?he talked to me like I was garbage, he was a complete and utter jerk; and was flat out rude.? His contention was that she was just going to wait until the end of the tournament, and if she did well try to get half; and evidently not pay him if she didn?t do well (despite his statement to Brian Gregg that it was ?no problem? for her to buy half). He even said, ?you can?t just wait until the finals to decide? (even though he should have known this was obviously NOT the finals or even close). After protesting his assertions, assuring him (as Brian had told him at the beginning of the tournament) that she wanted to buy half all along; Jeanette specifically asked if the buyer really believed that she was just waiting to pay him so she could weasel out if she didn?t do well, he smugly replied, ?absolutely?, seeming to derive great enjoyment from this fiction.

Jeanette felt so very offended and disturbed by the buyers now antagonistic and disturbing behavior that she withdrew immediately; wanting nothing further to do with him. If physical payment of the money was so important to him, he should have said so to Brian, and he should not have agreed early on to a split. He could have approached her at any time during the tournament for the cash if it was important to him. The paltry amount of money involved had nothing whatsoever to do with her decision. She apologized to Brian Gregg and Jack Taylor for withdrawing, and explained that she could have nothing further to do with this very offensive person, and told him she would be ill if she did anything to make money for this person.

#3. Jeanette (as someone who loves pool more than almost anyone, and as someone who aspires to the highest standards of sportsmanship) totally agrees that it was the buyers right to sell or not. She feels badly that she didn?t just ?hunt him down? right away ? she is in total agreement that such deals are OBVIOUSLY better to be made BEFORE the tournament starts. She would not have had ANY ill feelings toward him if he had politely declined her offer before, during, or after matches had started ? it is totally his right to make the call, HOWEVER HE SHOULD NOT HAVE AGREED TO BRIAN IF THE MONEY COLLECTION WAS A PROBLEM FOR HIM. She would NOT just ask someone at the end of a tournament to sell half, just because she did well; and is offended by the buyers allegations (and very rude insistence) that she did. She is confident that Brian Gregg, Jack Taylor, and Nesli O?Hare can confirm that she did intend throughout the tournament to buy her half; and confirm that the buyer did know of this intention before the end of the tournament.

#4. All the buyer had to do was politely decline (or even semi-politely; it was his right), and Jeanette would have continued to play her heart out in the remaining matches (again, this did NOT occur before the ?final match? as asserted elsewhere) ? she loves to play, and hates to lose. The issue of buying/selling was NO BIG DEAL, BECAUSE SHE BELIEVED AN AGREEMENT WAS IN PLACE. Unfortunately the buyer behaved unbelievably rudely and boorishly; and she felt that she needed to completely dissociate herself from the situation. She wanted no part of any association with this buyer, and wanted no part of helping to reward him after his extreme discourtesy. When such unpleasantness exists; it is often best for the high-profile athlete to just walk away. She did.

#5. Jeanette does not want to get into any dialogue over such a thing; she only wanted to correct the misapprehensions of many posting here, and to clarify for her fans. Posters are free to believe whomever they want; Nesli O?Hare, Brian Gregg, and Jack Taylor can confirm the true version of events.

P.S. - She specifically wanted me to tell satman that yes she forgot her cue (has done so on multiple occasions; her life is HECTIC), but was still able to be back before the start of the Calcutta and the tournament.

P.P.S. - 2-26-09, 1730 EST.....JL asked me to correct my description. Brian Gregg looked the buyer up on his own initiative after the first match because he knew that JL always likes to buy half of herself. The second contact was at JL's initiation. My bad, please let this thread die (I hope my inaccuracy will not haunt anyone.....don't sweat the small stuff, and this is ALL small stuff).

Last edited:

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First........ That seems to be a very logical explanation of the events. As for this whole situation, it's unfortunate that page after page is written on it. But like Willie says, lots of speculatation happens to this type of stuff on the forum. I'm not taking sides, but it seems like a big misunderstanding, rather than an attempt to cash in.

Thanks for the post Willie.......

Last edited:

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unreal that this is even going on. Perhaps the guy in question got pissed when he knew Jeanette was doing well that he would have to split her when he saw how far along she was getting and figured getting nasty and beligerent would discourage her from finishing the deal with him.

WHO KNOWS WHO CARES

MilwShooter

Pool? Never heard of it..
Silver Member
While I respect her desire to clarify things, I don't think it was necessary. Anyone who has met her, heard her talk, or seen or play should know she would never do anything to intentionally be mean. Jeanette has always been a very solid player for others to look to for advice and, while I'm glad she spoke out about the situation, I don't think we should've needed her to. To put it in terms that AZBers will relate to easily...She and Smorg would be in close contention for green REP, she's always real.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Thanks for Jeanette's version!

Isn't this very close to what JohnnyT thought happened? Man, that guy really knows everything, especially when it involves WPBA-pros! Johnny, you are my hero from now! :D

I have now read the different versions, and I have to say that I believe most in this. But I know it doesn't matter what I believe in, so I am off to watch some TAR-coverage now.

See you guys there :)

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Betmore's opinion

As a very ardent fan, I did want to state my opinion (and my opinion only).

I am, as always, dismayed to see so many people ready to believe anonymous internet postings of dubious credibility. I love that we have a forum to discuss such issues; but individual players should be left out of such discussions unless the facts of the situation are known. Here is what I know:

#1 - Jeanette is a VERY public figure; and at pool events (especially in foreign countries) gets the kind of aggressive and feverish public attention usually reserved for teen idols and movie stars. I have observed first hand tha it can be quite alarming and threatening.

Though most fans are fairly polite, there are many who are quite rude or downright obnoxious. The buyer in the "Great Calcutta Fiasco" must have been EXTREMELY rude, because she usually handles such situations very diplomatically.

There are fans/stalkers/psycho's that I (and this is me, NOT JL) describe as either RUDE/OBNOXIOUS/STRANGE/DISTURBING. They usually fall into one of those four categories. When these people present themselves (especially if there is none of her regular "posse" of protectors around), there is nothing sensible to do except GET AWAY FROM THEM. To continue to interact with such people is fruitless.

#2 - Many people (I have some in my own family) like to criticize other people to feel better about themselves (yes, it is somewhat pathetic). The more important the person that they criticize and condemn; the more important they feel. It's a fact of life. If the shoe fits, wear it.

#3 -Over the years I have been a fan, I have observed no player who is better than Jeanette Lee at promoting the game, interacting with the fans, exhibiting great competitive spirit and sportsmanship. For the buyer above to so offend her, he must be a real loser. Just my opinion.

#4 - I am proud to be a fan; but my assertions are not affected by my admiration for the player. I trust the reports of Nesli O'Hare, Jeanette Lee, and Brian Gregg. I do not trust the reports of anonymous internet posters (nor would I trust their reports if they gave me their names).

#5 - I am ashamed of the level of wild speculation surrounding this fairly unimportant event. Such speculation is what keeps many prominent players from participating in our otherwise grand forum. We should be discussing the issues rather than the unsubstantiated allegations. JMO.

clolson

Feisty Foster 4 MVP
Silver Member
ROFL........did anyone not expect her side of the story to be different??????....lol, shes "famous" and has a rep to protect.

I would love to see Brian Gregg post his thoughts, because i heard that brian was saying something different.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Nice post Don - here is something that tournament directors should think about, as I have heard of similiar instances before. The beginnings of a tournament are sometimes chaotic as everyone is getting situated.

Many times a player can be from out of town and not even know the bidders at all. If a player wants to buy half themselves and cannot locate the buyer or does not even know the buyer, then the player should post with the tournament director. After all, it is the person that is running the tournament that also runs the calcutta (and profitting off of it). Then once the first round has begun, the tournament director can announce that "the following players have paid me for 1/2 themselves. Would the owners of these players please come up to the tournament board to receive the players share?"

You see tournament directors, after the tournament is over, making sure to clarify if the player had bought half (as many times they do not know) and then making sure that the player receives their money. The same procedure or something similar as described above should be followed when dealing with the players initial option.

Reactions: DRW

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Wow...

I hope "buyer" gets his AZ pass and posts. It's only fair this deep into the affair.

Seems he's got an uphill climb, as that was a strong case made in JL's behalf.

I wouldn't send the truck to the crow yard yet, but I'd have it all gassed up.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
My only comment on Jeanette's side of the story is... there is a definite air in her version that the person who bought her had the responsibility of coming to her to collect the money... which is backwards in my mind.

If I want to buy something, it's my responsibility to find and approach the seller.. not the other way around... and yes, I understand that she was busy and couldn't remember the buyer's face... but that doesn't change the fact that it was her responsibility to find (and pay) him much earlier in the tournament.

I could envision the buyer saying to the TD... "Sure, she can buy 1/2 of herself."... but when she doesn't show up in due course to pay him... well, he's likely thinking that she changed her mind.

Based on what Willie posted, she thought that she had a deal... and he likely thought that she's got 1/2 but she's has to give me the money to have 1/2.

I believe that is where the miscommunication occurred.

How he talked to her is a different matter. I understand why she broke down.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
..... Unfortunately, when the person who bought her came up to her and offered her half, she stated she would PROBABLY buy half, but wanted to wait a few minutes and check things out. This was definitely a mistake on her part, because though she decided nearly immediately that she wanted to buy half, she then had to get back on the phone and computer, and started with her matches; totally forgetting about the Calcutta....

....As the first match began, she did remember the Calcutta, but could NOT initially remember what the buyer looked like..... A few matches later, the buyer had not approached her for the money, and she had been too busy to find him.....The buyer never approached her for payment.

.... she is in total agreement that such deals are OBVIOUSLY better to be made BEFORE the tournament starts....

She was offered, she refused. I would never "chase" down my horse so IMO he went above the requirement.

It wouldnt be better to be before it starts, its a requirement IMO.

I think I understand what happened.

Ken

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Willie for taking the time to tell the other side of the story. Your reputation is beyond reproach which gives credibility to this tangled web.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ha ha

Williebetmore said:
Jeanette Lee contacted me yesterday evening when she heard there was some controversy regarding her decision to withdraw from the tournament last weekend; and asked me to present the details (which are significantly different than presented in the other threads) and to explain her motives (which are VERY different than those proposed and speculated upon in the other threads).

She was quite reluctant to do this, as it is not a flattering story regarding the person who bought her in the Calcutta; but felt forced to respond to clarify things for her fans, who might be confused by the large amount of misinformation and speculation on the forum (unfortunately par for the course here on AZB?we LOVE to speculate and pontificate).

#1. She did NOT enter the tournament to ?take off? a ?C tournament? as has been proposed elsewhere. She has tremendous respect for Brian Gregg (and his partner Jack Taylor), considers him a good friend, and wants to support his ventures in any way possible. She also enjoys the competition (which is QUITE strong ? open to local players such as Brian Gregg, Steve Oaks, Jeff Beckley, Everett Snow, Tony Blankenship, Brian Groce, George Breedlove, Dan Walden?.Efren does NOT have to win this thing if he enters). She takes time away from family and business to play in these events in hopes of helping to promote the local pool scene. The money involved is small, insignificant, and played NO part in her decisions. She was ASKED by the promoters to participate as often as she can to help the tournament.

#2. She felt forced to withdraw and forfeit because of the extreme rudeness and poor behavior of person who bought her in the Calcutta, NOT through any petulant desire to make a few bucks at the last minute ? the money had NOTHING to do with it. Also, it was NOT THE LAST MATCH OF THE TOURNAMENT when she withdrew, just near the end of the winner?s bracket (the person to whom she forfeited had 2 or 3 more matches to play afterward). Here is the sequence of events:

Jeanette did not buy herself in the Calcutta; and in fact almost never bids on herself (it just drives up the price, and someone always bids on her). As most local players know, she almost always offers to split with the person that does buy her. Unfortunately, when the person who bought her came up to her and offered her half, she stated she would PROBABLY buy half, but wanted to wait a few minutes and check things out. This was definitely a mistake on her part, because though she decided nearly immediately that she wanted to buy half, she then had to get back on the phone and computer, and started with her matches; totally forgetting about the Calcutta. During their initial conversation the buyer seemed understanding and polite.

As the first match began, she did remember the Calcutta, but could NOT initially remember what the buyer looked like (she is approached by a LOT of people at every pool event she attends). She then asked Brian Gregg to find the buyer and let him know that she would take half of herself. Brian told her that he DID find the buyer, and that the buyer WAS in agreement. A few matches later, the buyer had not approached her for the money, and she had been too busy to find him; so she again asked Brian Gregg to remind the buyer that she was in for half. Brian did so, and told Jeanette that the buyer had responded ?That?s fine.? Nesli O?Hare was with Brian at this time, and confirms that this is what the buyer said in agreement. Jeanette felt that an agreement was in place, but did want to pay him at the first opportunity. The buyer never approached her for payment.

Near the end of the winner?s bracket (NOT the finals of the tournament, NOT the finals of the winner?s bracket), Jeanette had the buyer paged to the desk; wanting to pay him her share. Evidently at this point the buyer changed his mind and now wished to renege on his verbal agreement to buy half, and that he should have been paid the cash ahead of time. He let loose with an extremely rude and accusatory tone; flatly implying that there was no agreement since he had not been paid, and that she was lying about her intentions (despite his conversations with Brian Gregg); declaring, ?Well, you had time to get on the microphone and talk about your school, talk to your friends, and you couldn?t come up with $70.? Jeanette states that, ?he talked to me like I was garbage, he was a complete and utter jerk; and was flat out rude.? His contention was that she was just going to wait until the end of the tournament, and if she did well try to get half; and evidently not pay him if she didn?t do well (despite his statement to Brian Gregg that it was ?no problem? for her to buy half). He even said, ?you can?t just wait until the finals to decide? (even though he should have known this was obviously NOT the finals or even close). After protesting his assertions, assuring him (as Brian had told him at the beginning of the tournament) that she wanted to buy half all along; Jeanette specifically asked if the buyer really believed that she was just waiting to pay him so she could weasel out if she didn?t do well, he smugly replied, ?absolutely?, seeming to derive great enjoyment from this fiction.

Jeanette felt so very offended and disturbed by the buyers now antagonistic and disturbing behavior that she withdrew immediately; wanting nothing further to do with him. If physical payment of the money was so important to him, he should have said so to Brian, and he should not have agreed early on to a split. He could have approached her at any time during the tournament for the cash if it was important to him. The paltry amount of money involved had nothing whatsoever to do with her decision. She apologized to Brian Gregg and Jack Taylor for withdrawing, and explained that she could have nothing further to do with this very offensive person, and told him she would be ill if she did anything to make money for this person.

#3. Jeanette (as someone who loves pool more than almost anyone, and as someone who aspires to the highest standards of sportsmanship) totally agrees that it was the buyers right to sell or not. She feels badly that she didn?t just ?hunt him down? right away ? she is in total agreement that such deals are OBVIOUSLY better to be made BEFORE the tournament starts. She would not have had ANY ill feelings toward him if he had politely declined her offer before, during, or after matches had started ? it is totally his right to make the call, HOWEVER HE SHOULD NOT HAVE AGREED TO BRIAN IF THE MONEY COLLECTION WAS A PROBLEM FOR HIM. She would NOT just ask someone at the end of a tournament to sell half, just because she did well; and is offended by the buyers allegations (and very rude insistence) that she did. She is confident that Brian Gregg, Jack Taylor, and Nesli O?Hare can confirm that she did intend throughout the tournament to buy her half; and confirm that the buyer did know of this intention before the end of the tournament.

#4. All the buyer had to do was politely decline (or even semi-politely; it was his right), and Jeanette would have continued to play her heart out in the remaining matches (again, this did NOT occur before the ?final match? as asserted elsewhere) ? she loves to play, and hates to lose. The issue of buying/selling was NO BIG DEAL, BECAUSE SHE BELIEVED AN AGREEMENT WAS IN PLACE. Unfortunately the buyer behaved unbelievably rudely and boorishly; and she felt that she needed to completely dissociate herself from the situation. She wanted no part of any association with this buyer, and wanted no part of helping to reward him after his extreme discourtesy. When such unpleasantness exists; it is often best for the high-profile athlete to just walk away. She did.

#5. Jeanette does not want to get into any dialogue over such a thing; she only wanted to correct the misapprehensions of many posting here, and to clarify for her fans. Posters are free to believe whomever they want; Nesli O?Hare, Brian Gregg, and Jack Taylor can confirm the true version of events.

P.S. - She specifically wanted me to tell satman that yes she forgot her cue (has done so on multiple occasions; her life is HECTIC), but was still able to be back before the start of the Calcutta and the tournament.
a long excuse for not knowing the rules?? if he was rude, turn away and take your medican, she knowes the rules!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
cigardave said:
My only comment on Jeanette's side of the story is... there is a definite air in her version that the person who bought her had the responsibility of coming to her to collect the money... which is backwards in my mind.

If I want to buy something, it's my responsibility to find and approach the seller.. not the other way around... and yes, I understand that she was busy and couldn't remember the buyer's face... but that doesn't change the fact that it was her responsibility to find (and pay) him much earlier in the tournament.

I could envision the buyer saying to the TD... "Sure, she can buy 1/2 of herself."... but when she doesn't show up in due course to pay him... well, he's likely thinking that she changed her mind.

Based on what Willie posted, she thought that she had a deal... and he likely thought that she's got 1/2 but she's has to give me the money to have 1/2.

I believe that is where the miscommunication occurred.

How he talked to her is a different matter. I understand why she broke down.

Dave,
Very perceptive. I think Jeanette was hopeful the buyer would come to collect the cash (she's fairly busy playing and doing business); but made several attempts to find him and pay him - the last attempt ending as described.

The buyer had NO obligation to split; he could have said it and ended it. The manner of his change of mind is the issue.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 observations...

1. JL side of story makes it seems like this guy is a outlandish jerk who just started running his mouth. Ironically, in the other thread, he seemed very level headed even when he was blatantly being called a liar. It would seem if he was a hot-head as she described, he would have also went off on the board. He told his side and kept WANTING to hear JL's.

2. Multiple people have references JL's Chelsea days as this may not be be too far out of her character.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
stick8 said:
a long excuse for not knowing the rules?? if he was rude, turn away and take your medican, she knowes the rules!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Stick-man,
Somewhat puzzling....I'm not sure what "rules" you are citing; and no "excuses" were made; just a description of the events.

She was in agreement with all of the principals most of us accept, and was perfectly reasonable. The buyer is the one with the "attitude".

As it turns out, the buyer is the one who had to take the "medicine" and lost his chance at some cash. JL had a nice day of playing pool and hanging out with her friends. Getting "rich" from this Calcutta was not an essential ingredient in a good day of pool.

clolson

Feisty Foster 4 MVP
Silver Member
xianmacx said:
I have 2 observations...

1. JL side of story makes it seems like this guy is a outlandish jerk who just started running his mouth. Ironically, in the other thread, he seemed very level headed even when he was blatantly being called a liar. It would seem if he was a hot-head as she described, he would have also went off on the board. He told his side and kept WANTING to hear JL's.

2. Multiple people have references JL's Chelsea days as this may not be be too far out of her character.

right on the money, did anyone expect her to come out and say, "yes, i quit to spite him!".......face the facts people, she is a poolplayer, not a saint.....lol.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
clolson said:
ROFL........did anyone not expect her side of the story to be different??????....lol, shes "famous" and has a rep to protect.

I would love to see Brian Gregg post his thoughts, because i heard that brian was saying something different.

Come on dude, enough is enough. Were you even at the tournament?!?

Am I the only one sick of seeing Foster dunking the ball?

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
xianmacx said:
I have 2 observations...

X-man,
Perhaps you didn't actually read the other thread. The initial poster was a FRIEND of the buyer, NOT the buyer.

Of course it is your privilege to continue to believe the fictions of anonymous posters....I myself just love science fiction.....now where did I put that anti-gravity belt, I need to fly to the store??