Jeanette Lee's version - it's different

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Cash after every hand

Quiet everyone the Calcutta is being called.
1) I buy you, at that point you come over to me and ask me for 1/2
or I go to you and ask you if you want 1/2 / one hand washes the other.
2) At that point we exchange and I pay the TD the amout bid.
3) We are now partners from beginning to end, hopefully.
4) Matches have not been called yet, all transactions are a done deal

Any excuse after that is a bunch of bullcrap.
It doesn't matter who you are. CASH AFTER EVERY HAND.

There are 2 sides to every side of a story.
1)The twisted side
2) The truth
Total of 4 sides

Everything about this thread STINKS, ALL 4 SIDES

If the deal was made from the beginning as it should be this thread would never had happened.
Instead we have a Plaintiif and a Defendant along with 12 Million jurors.
I believe him, I believe her, this one was there, that one was there, GOD was there he heard it, he is my friend, she is my friend. WHOOPYEFFINDO

CASH AFTER EVERY HAND, THERE IS NO EXCUSE. IT'S BEEN IN THE BOOK SINCE THE FIRST POOL BALL WAS EVER MADE

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
xianmacx said:
Another note...

Did anyone watch the Jeff Beckley/Justin Bergman match at the derby?

Am I the only one who thought it was very rude how JL sat about 6ft from the table and clapped and cheered after EVERY rack Jeff won. For being a experienced gambler, it seemed very unprofessional to me.

Im sure Watchez noticed...;)
Ian

I noticed but with Jeanette, from seeing her at pool events many times, it is expected so it was not a shock to me, Justin, or anyone else involved. I don't know what to say about if it is right or wrong. People always say that pool needs a little flavor so if you look at it like that, then more power to Jeanette for cheering her man on. Hell, Scooter did it and to more extremes (almost to the point of idiocracy) and brought home the Louie Roberts Award because of it. Now during the Morra-Bergman match I felt that Scooter got a too far across the line and put it to an end quickly. I would not stop from doing so with Jeanette, if I felt the need.

I have been known to get vocal myself but with Justin I think it might have embarrassed him so when he plays, I sit quiet. Besides, we were losing so it would have been embarrassing for me as well. Kind of like in a football game when a team down 4 TDs scores and celebrates. Look at the scoreboard first.

Is this the norm in gambling - no.

One thing at the DCC I did not approve of was Jeanette going into the TAR action room and then stating she could not be put on the stream. At that time of night, there were a lot of open tables in the tournament rooms upstairs. She basically ruined the TAR room as no one could move and the others gambling were effected by the crowd and her presence. That seemed a bit selfish and avoidable.

Anyways, Jeanette has accomplished more in pool fincially and notoriety than anyone that comes to mind. I can respect that. I too think there were 3 sides to this story and neither side was perfect. If the buyer was extremely rude, then he was out of line. Remember, the original story stated that he heard the request to buy 1/2 and then simply walked away. Doesn't sound like that was the case. Jeanette could have made more of an effort than it appears to find the buyer. It was stated that she was on microphone a few times so I agree she could have used that opportunity. Was she probably busy and constantly distracted? Yes - if you have seen Jeanette in public, you can realize the way people are totally immune to the fact that she is there to play pool. I have been to John Wayne's - it is a big place but feels real small, if that makes sense. She probably wasn't left alone for a second to collect her thoughts.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Neil said:
As far as what the calcutta buyer told her, so what? Just where was he being so rude? J.L. has been around enough to know that kind of move happens all the time. Why shouldn't he think she was pulling it to? Just because in some eyes she is a diva???

So, just because some guy talks to her like a pool player she gets all offended and leaves. Wah, wah, too bad for her, she got her ego bruised a little because someone treated her like everyone else.

And Willie- I just don't understand how you can call someone else out for posting what the buyer did and said, when you are doing the exact same thing. Except, you weren't even there!

Neil,
I will emphasize again, in case you didn't read the entire post, that I was just posting someone else's version, and I never claimed to be there (though have spoken to 3 of the parties who have confirmed the version that I posted). I don't even know what you mean by "calling out", sounds like some kind of duck hunting aphorism. I have, and will continue to express my personal opinions; I was kind of thinking that was what the forum was designed for.

For you and others who continue to try to read more into the situation than was there - I can only offer my disagreement. Many posters are delighted to give their weighty opinion about what she was thinking; but in my view, her description of what she was thinking is more likely correct. I'm sure that the "Diva Theory" critics and the "Too Big for the Britches" critics and the "She really needed the Hundred Bucks" critics and the "She Must not know the REAL rules of Calcutta's" critics will be sure to enlighten me about her real motives....I'm sure their telepathic abilities will be confirmed. I will try to visit the thread tomorrow to check on the latest theories.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Everyone including Jeanette believes that the time for such arrangements is obviously before the first ball is struck

In fact there is a reason Calcuttas are done before "the draw is made", otherwise it can greatly affect the value of the player knowing they have a nice draw or have a bunch of champs lined up in their quarter.

If I buy someone in the calcutta I am taking the chance on a crappy draw. If I ask them if they want half and they tell me "let me wait and check some things out" they are getting info on the bet that the original buyer does not have that can greatly change the odds. If Jeanette saw her draw and had a line up of champs in her bracket and one right in her first match I am thinking she might not have been hunting the buyer down. She would play, if she lost that buyer is now riding the full $140 for the rest of the event. I am sorry but her actions give no other explanation whatsoever when the guy came right up to her and offered the 50% in person right after the calcutta ended. She did not say "yes I want 50%, let me go get some cash out of the bank machine", she said "hmm, probably but let me check a couple things out first" and right there her intentions and the motivation for that choice are fairly hard to see any other way.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two huge differences in the stories.

Buyer says she would get back in touch yet JL says that they HAD an agreement.
If you have an agreement then fork up the $$ and move on. Or if you have an agreement and are not worried about it then you never even think about
paying. Hence no reason for talking to TD mulitple to find him etc.

Once he is called back up there towards the end I am sure he is a little pissed. He stated that he knew what was coming. If she truely thought she had a deal then when he arrived wouldnt she be standing there with $70 stating that she was sorry she got caught up doing other stuff and didnt give him his money. Instead I get the impression that she was still TRYING to get half.

No matter what ... JL knows how Calcuttas work period. She was wrong for not paying earlier no matter what.

The guy has probably sat there stewing all day knowing that she is going to want half part of the way through the tournament.
Calcutta director should have stepped in and told JL that if she did not pay beforehand then she has no right unless the buyer will let her. Of course JL is putting alot on him as she states that the TD says she had an agreement and not the buyer.

No way can both parties have an agreement and this still happen. The attempts to contact would not have happened.

Also no one could ever convince me that JL could not have turned to any of the people there and asked for a favor... hey can you find the guy the bought me and give him this $70 for half. Thanks I am busy but want to get it to him......... A Pro like herself would have had to beat back the people trying to help.

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeanette Lee's version may be different but it doesn't justify her actions. Her quitting has more ramifications than just some buyer not getting his calcutta money. She showed immense disrespect to the players in the tournament. They played hard to win and face the best there, and she simply turned away. She disrespected her opponent that match and just quit according to the other thread.

Regardless of what the buyer said, it was her actions, her choice. This seems like a 'Pearl' move to me...

Mowem down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see things from a few angles...

1...J.L. has been around pool halls for years she is far from made of glass, knows the rules of a calcutta, and you can tell by watching her, she can, will, does speak her mind.

2...This place was sooo big 2 people coudnt find each other to get the deal done...Yea I know she didnt know who he was (at first), and the TD couldnt point him out..

3...J.L. was so busy she didnt have time to get the deal done but the TD (who has nothing to do) had time to find the guy twice. Would he have been doing that for another player..

4...In Willies statment for J.L., He says there was a deal struck the frist time the TD found the guy, but She send the TD to find him a second time because he hadnt came to get his money . Is it his job or her job to get the money payed. Hers if you ask me

5...You were rude (in my opinion) so Im going to quit and not only cost you your chance at winning some money, but the 140$ you spent. That is nothing other than spite as I see it...

6...If the guy was so rude she needed to quit... He, 1. needed to be kicked out..period. 2. is lucky she isnt my wife, I dont know what planet you people are from but if smaking someone in the mouth for disrespecting my wife like that is out of line I need to build a rocketship...

7...Were the hell was George, The only story I want to hear about is "George Breedlove beats down, low class bottom feeder for talking shit to Jeanette Lee". Now that would be a step in the right direction all the rest of this is a bunch of, he said she said, boo hoo for me, crap...

My points are just points I wasnt there and am not pointing the finger. I like J.L. I think she is a say what you mean do what you say person..nobody is perfect but Im betting for the most part George is one lucky SOB......

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Certified Rail Tester
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Dave,
Very perceptive. I think Jeanette was hopeful the buyer would come to collect the cash (she's fairly busy playing and doing business); but made several attempts to find him and pay him

Just wanted to point out.. In a calcutta, The buyer of such person has their name wrote down on a piece of paper.

That way you know who bought who and very easy to find them when you call for them on the mic.

Just wanted to mention that for the future if anyone can't find their buyer.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post Willie, thanks for clarifying. I was told the exact same thing and led to believe that after not being able to find the buyer they came to the conclusion he was not in the building? In my opinion, having 3 eye witnesses such as Brian, Jack and Nes, constitutes the story being valid. I will rib her next time I talk to her about being a "quitter" though!! LOL :D :D

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Me, Jeanette or You.

KoolKat9Lives said:
:frown: I don't get some people here. We're supposed be the enthusiasts of pool enthusiasts at AZB. When one of the most popular, successful women in pool gives her side of a calcutta incident gone awry, replete with available witnesses, who do many people side with? The anonymous poster representing "the buyer" ? WTF?

She said the guy made a voluntary agreement with the friggin' TD as proxy! She said it was re-confirmed. Yeah there's many sub-plots, but if there's a deal, there's a deal.

It's just sad.

Thanks for taking your valuable time Willie. And thanks to Jeanette for taking your valuable time defending your reputation in what is seemingly so assinine, but made "real" by being caught in a forum net.

The bold part above is what I think stinks to high heaven. I don't know Jeanette very well but I doubt that she would lie about this. If this was agreed to by the Calcutta buyer, then he's the one who owes an apology.
I would like to hear the tournament director's comment on this particular subject.

What do you do if you are insulted by your Calcutta buyer, just suck it up and finish your matches like nothing happened with him grinning the whole time, like he got over on you?

I can't believe I am so much of a Charlie Brown, changing my position but if a Calcutta buyer insulted me, I would hurt him where it hurts him the most, in his pocket book, whether it cost me money or not. I guess I am just human and don't like turning the other cheek. Maybe there are justifiable reasons for forfeiting your matches. Sheesh. I am such a putz.

JoeyA

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeanette has been around tournaments and calcuttas long enough to know how things work and should not make excuses.

Unfortunately for the fellow who bought Jeanette in the calcutta, he expected her to act like a professional -- and she would have if the cameras were rolling. :eek:

p1noy

layin' low
Silver Member
She stalled when asked before the tournament started.. What if JL lost her first match? Do you think she would go after the buyer to pay half of the calcutta while grinding it out on the loser's side?

p1noy

layin' low
Silver Member
Mowem down said:
I see things from a few angles...

1...J.L. has been around pool halls for years she is far from made of glass, knows the rules of a calcutta, and you can tell by watching her, she can, will, does speak her mind.

2...This place was sooo big 2 people coudnt find each other to get the deal done...Yea I know she didnt know who he was (at first), and the TD couldnt point him out..

3...J.L. was so busy she didnt have time to get the deal done but the TD (who has nothing to do) had time to find the guy twice. Would he have been doing that for another player..

4...In Willies statment for J.L., He says there was a deal struck the frist time the TD found the guy, but She send the TD to find him a second time because he hadnt came to get his money . Is it his job or her job to get the money payed. Hers if you ask me

5...You were rude (in my opinion) so Im going to quit and not only cost you your chance at winning some money, but the 140$ you spent. That is nothing other than spite as I see it...

6...If the guy was so rude she needed to quit... He, 1. needed to be kicked out..period. 2. is lucky she isnt my wife, I dont know what planet you people are from but if smaking someone in the mouth for disrespecting my wife like that is out of line I need to build a rocketship...

7...Were the hell was George, The only story I want to hear about is "George Breedlove beats down, low class bottom feeder for talking shit to Jeanette Lee". Now that would be a step in the right direction all the rest of this is a bunch of, he said she said, boo hoo for me, crap...

My points are just points I wasnt there and am not pointing the finger. I like J.L. I think she is a say what you mean do what you say person..nobody is perfect but Im betting for the most part George is one lucky SOB......

I like your way of thinking.:thumbup:

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tompnation

Where is Tompnation ( The buyer )?

His account was activated at : Last Activity: Today 01:13 PM

Seems it would be better to hear from the Tournament Director(if anyone), whom I don't know if he has an account or not..

I've participated in numerous calcuttas and have personally ran dozens. I have never heard of or instructed ANY buyers that they had to find the player and offer half.

I HAVE always stated that if the player wants to buy half of themselves the buyer must give them first shot. It must be done before the tournament starts. The buyer may sell any part of his horse at anytime after that.

Many times when a top player doesn't buy half of themselves, I would sell a 1/4, 1/3 or half to others. Only after the player had declined of course.

Then if a player asked later, I simply told them that I sold the other half already. If I had not sold it already, I would gladly still sell the player a portion or like Jay said just offer some free jelly. I would do it anytime the player was still in. No way would I do anything to queer my horse's thinking during the tournament. (that's my thinking anyway) ~imo

Ray

Last edited:

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
p1noy said:
She stalled when asked before the tournament started.. What if JL lost her first match? Do you think she would go after the buyer to pay half of the calcutta while grinding it out on the loser's side?

That's the kind of thought process I had before WBM posted Jeanette's side of the story (but I waited until now to post). However, according to her side, she allowed the TD to act as her proxy and the guy made an agreement with the TD to let her have half. At that point, she was committed per the agreement, as was he. So if she lost the next two straight matches, she would have still been obligated to pay the man, which the TD must have trusted she would, or else he'd be put on the spot.

Whether she would have paid or not if she had lost is irrelevant because (if you believe her side of the story) the Calcutta purchaser agreed to take that risk.

One possibility that I don't think anyone mentioned is that maybe the Calcutta purchaser thought the TD was implying, "would you still let her have half if she finds and pays you now?". So that's one possible way the miscommunication could have started, which would give all parties the benefit of the doubt.

Again, that wouldn't even be relevant to the main issue. The whole complaint by the Calcutta purchaser I thought, was that JL forfeited. Well, now we find out why she forfeited, which as WBM explained was because he "behaved unbelievably rudely and boorishly". If that's true, which I have no reason to doubt, what does he expect?

He should have just said, "No, Jeanette, I'm sorry. There must have been a misunderstanding because I was only willing to split the Calcutta with you in the beginning, but it's much too late for me now."

If it's true that he "went off" on her and she decided to try to suck it up and play anyway, she probably would have played poorly Then we'd just be hearing accusations that she dumped on purpose to get back at him.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
The whole thing i want to know is, what pool player in their right mind, drives 40 some miles to a pool tournament without their cue?

I mean, I've STARTED to drive to a tournament without my cue, and turned around like 5 blocks away from my house and come back to get it.

THAT'S what i find interesting.
The only time i have been at the pool hall without a cue was when it was an unplanned stop.

So this whole forgot the cue business is kind of interesting to me.

Had she not forgotten her cue, the whole scenario might not have happened.

Who's to blame again?????

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KoolKat9Lives said:
Daniel, with all due respect, what exactly is "erroneous" about my statement:

"When one of the most popular, successful women in pool gives her side of a calcutta incident gone awry, replete with available witnesses, who do many people side with?"

She gave her account thru Willebetmore (Don), stating there were witnesses to the agreement.

A deal is a deal in my book, period. I see other's viewpoints as well; others that have far more experience in calcuttas than I.

My point is that no one other than Jeanette herself has said that the buyer's story is not what happened. Brian has not posted in Jeanette's defense. Willie has only posted what she said as he was not a witness.

Again, no one that was there other than Jeanette has said on this board that her version is the correct one.