Jeanette Lee's version - it's different

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Buyer

The buyers from the calcutta is now approved to sign on and post.

Tompnation

So.......Let's here from you Tompnation. You may now speak for yourself.

I hope he tells us his real name, out of fairness.

Ray

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cincyman said:
I bet you did,, thats a cute mental picture.... wheres my Gina cue???

Tell the Indiana folk about the Spaeth memorial in March 14 15 at michaels..

And tell them they are welcome to stay at my house and we can go and make fun of cincyman...its sooooo easy.

Ken

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:
Mark -

The buyer did offer.

JL wanted to "evaluate".

She snoozed and loozed (?)

Sometimes I crack me up!

Ken

Exactly correct. He still didn't have to get ugly though. ~imo

Ray

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:

Ray
Was he really that ugly? If he was, he probably would've been thrown out, or talked to by the owner, right? Did this happen? We'll never know.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
cincyman said:
I bet you did,, thats a cute mental picture.... wheres my Gina cue???

Tell the Indiana folk about the Spaeth memorial in March 14 15 at michaels..
Working on the Gina, kinda a friend of a friend thing. Gonna try and make it for that tournament.

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:
And tell them they are welcome to stay at my house and we can go and make fun of cincyman...its sooooo easy.

Ken
If nothing else I will try and make it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for posting, Willie. After all is said and done, much of this incident can be deemed an unfortunate misunderstanding, and it's a shame that it happened. No doubt, as others have posted, the parties invovled might have handled it better.

I disagree, however, with those who contend that we shouldn't judge Jeanette on AZB. On the contrary, we should, and I will do just that.

Jeanette is one of the most generous, giving people I've met in a lifetime. She is devoted to her family and friends, and works with charities (most notably the National Scoliosis Foundation) to help out those with a difficult lot in life.

Jeanette is also the greatest female ambassador for pool in our sport's history, constantly elevating its image and visibility through the media and through appearances. In addition, through years of playing an active role in the Women's Sports Foundation, she has raised the profile of women's pool on the broader landscape of women's sports.

Yes, judging Jeanette Lee is a true pleasure. No, she's not perfect, but she is a role model at and away from the glorious green felt, and we can only hope that the next generation of players includes men and women as committed to our sport and its image as Jeanette Lee.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:

Ray

If in fact he did....

The part of snoozing is agreed and told by BOTH parties, so there shouldnt be a dispute there.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Was he really that ugly? If he was, he probably would've been thrown out, or talked to by the owner, right? Did this happen? We'll never know.

Good point. He said she said anyway. LOL

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Saw this at an auction buyers anonymous meeting....

Ken_4fun said:
If in fact he did....

The part of snoozing is agreed and told by BOTH parties, so there shouldnt be a dispute there.

Attachments

• snooze.jpg
    snooze.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 287

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
X-man,
Perhaps you didn't actually read the other thread. The initial poster was a FRIEND of the buyer, NOT the buyer.

Of course it is your privilege to continue to believe the fictions of anonymous posters....I myself just love science fiction.....now where did I put that anti-gravity belt, I need to fly to the store??
I am not taking sides on this one at all. Willie, you stated Janette's side as her friend, the original poster of the other thread posted as his friend. I would just let this one die off. If neither of the people involved feel inclined to speak for themselves, then who really cares what their friends have to say?
It happened, nothing can be done to change what happened, so let it die. It's kind of like no-fault insurance, both take care of themselves and don't look back.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil said:
With her money, she should never buy half herself in small calcuttas at local tournament, but try and increase her fan base making sure she could put some money in their hands. She does it right, she could then get them to buy some of her merchandise!

EXACTLY. If its sooo unimportant to her, she should never buy herself and let her loving fans get to win a few buck.

clolson

Feisty Foster 4 MVP
Silver Member
Neil said:
I really didn't want to respond, but since I did earlier, I feel it's only fair that I do again after hearing J.L. side.

To sum it up, J.L. had no right to the calcutta, and she knows it. She knows how they are run, and you don't tell someone else after it starts that you now want half yourself. The TD should have told her right then that it was to late, but obviously was afraid to because he wants her around for business.

As far as what the calcutta buyer told her, so what? Just where was he being so rude? J.L. has been around enough to know that kind of move happens all the time. Why shouldn't he think she was pulling it to? Just because in some eyes she is a diva???

So, just because some guy talks to her like a pool player she gets all offended and leaves. Wah, wah, too bad for her, she got her ego bruised a little because someone treated her like everyone else.

And Willie- I just don't understand how you can call someone else out for posting what the buyer did and said, when you are doing the exact same thing. Except, you weren't even there! I know you are a good friend of J.L., but comeon, guy, you are just posting what she wants said on here, not necessarily what really went down. She's in damage control mode now, and you know it. If she wasn't, she wouldn't say anything.

Maybe the guy did act a little like a jerk to her, so what, she acted like a much bigger jerk by leaving. Because one person wasn't awestruck by her presence, she says screw you to all the others that came to see her and leaves. That really says a lot of what she thinks of her fans! Speaking of that, she talks to a guy for 5 minutes and can't remember him a few hours later??? That shows how much she really paid attention to the conversation! Not remembering someone that just got an autograph or said hi, fine. That's perfectly understandable. But a 5 min. conversation should be remembered for at least a few hours.

Bottom line- in my opinion, which I know few would give two cents for, J.L. was totally in the wrong. Both on the calcutta, and for leaving. Hopefully, she learned something. Respect is a two way street. She showed none in this situation, either to the buyer, or to her fans.
For her to say that she forfeited to make sure no money got in the cal. buyers hands from her, well, that just is low class IMHO. And I'll make sure no money of mine gets in her hands. With her money, she should never buy half herself in small calcuttas at local tournament, but try and increase her fan base making sure she could put some money in their hands. She does it right, she could then get them to buy some of her merchandise!

very well put neil...

clolson

Feisty Foster 4 MVP
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
The buyers from the calcutta is now approved to sign on and post.

Tompnation

So.......Let's here from you Tompnation. You may now speak for yourself.

I hope he tells us his real name, out of fairness.

Ray

thanks big truck, hes at work atm but ill tell him about his account being cleared and he will post tonight.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:
Mark -

The buyer did offer.

JL wanted to "evaluate".

She snoozed and loozed (?)

Sometimes I crack me up!

Ken

K-man,
I can't argue with your infallible logic. Very correct, and Jeanette would agree that he had NO OBLIGATION to cut her in with the lateness of her offer (after the first match of the tournament).

If you all will read carefully, that is not the issue; but rather his very rude behavior later on, when he decided not to honor what she believed was their verbal agreement. He was never under any obligation to cut her in, though she believed all along that he would. All he had to say was sorry, big misunderstanding, can't do it. That would have been no problem.

Everyone including Jeanette believes that the time for such arrangements is obviously before the first ball is struck; but that doesn't mean reasonable people can't come to some other arrangement if they wish (it has been done plenty of times, including just a couple of weeks ago). I wouldn't criticize either party for any of the actions up until the rudeness began. It's a free country I thought. He's free to be rude, she's free to walk.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
K-man,
I can't argue with your infallible logic. Very correct, and Jeanette would agree that he had NO OBLIGATION to cut her in with the lateness of her offer (after the first match of the tournament).

If you all will read carefully, that is not the issue; but rather his very rude behavior later on, when he decided not to honor what she believed was their verbal agreement. He was never under any obligation to cut her in, though she believed all along that he would. All he had to say was sorry, big misunderstanding, can't do it. That would have been no problem.

Everyone including Jeanette believes that the time for such arrangements is obviously before the first ball is struck; but that doesn't mean reasonable people can't come to some other arrangement if they wish (it has been done plenty of times, including just a couple of weeks ago). I wouldn't criticize either party for any of the actions up until the rudeness began. It's a free country I thought. He's free to be rude, she's free to walk.

Maybe, but IMO, its more a case of woman scorned....

Ken

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
The versions of the story from JL and the buyer are in all honesty virtually identical. The only thing different from the original posting by the guy who bought Jeanette and this version is the point of view we are getting the story from.

Williebetmore, noone I have read from said it was the finals, it was pretty clearly stated she quit in 5/6th I believe.

He could have approached her at any time during the tournament for the cash if it was important to him.

He did, when he is supposed to, at the commencement of the Calcutta. it is not his obligation to ask her 10 times over the course of the tournament if she is "sure" she does not want half and it is not up to him to chase her down asking her for the money after he approached her and offered her the deal that she initially rejected.

"Do you want half of yourself in the calcutta" is a simple yes or no answer, maybe or probably is not one of the options.

Honestly, 10 hours later when she is guarenteed 5/6th and she then wants half, how is that not going to make the buyer a little annoyed and wonder about the motivation?

If the money was unimportant she would not have said "let me wait afew minutes and check things out" AKA "let me see how much money is in the pot, let me see my draw, let me see whether it is a good bet to buy half". If the money is entirely insignificant you say "sure, here is $70 bucks, wish me luck" or you say "Nah, I don't really care much for calcuttas."

If money is unimportant to her then there is no saying

and in fact almost never bids on herself (it just drives up the price

Her actions and what is explained in the 1st post don't blend. Her actions are going to make any person who knows anything about calcuttas think she is hedging her bet, and the buyer was not out of line to think so, it is hard to see from the actions that it was any other way.

If you don't worry about the money or the draw you just buy yourself, not wait until you see the draw, the tournament starts and then decide "hey, I like my chances, I did not draw XXXX or YYYY first round, heck they are in the top half and I am in the bottom, it looks like I should go deep, where is that calcutta guy?"

As I said, the stories are virtually identical from JL and the buyer.

Any non-known player in some random tournament that tried to pull this and the story came up on AZB would be told flat out by people on this forum that they were in the wrong and that you cannot buy yourself after the tournament starts and that quitting shows a complete lack of class. The person who did it is the only thing that has made this a debate at all.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
K-man,

I have to know. Just what was so bad and rude (that wasn't corrected by the td) that would make her leave? Must have been terrible. To quit in the final six or four? Sounds a little fishy. The water's getting deeper and deeper. Was he vulgar, loud? Demeaning? Or the fact that he didn't honor the verbal agreement between himself and a "friend" of Jeanette? I can't see them letting someone stay that offended and was cruel or loud or upsetting to Jeanette. Did they ask him to leave? And those are the Days of Our Lives.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This may be an all time world record thread for AZ. Most posts per minute! In fact, this one thread could become it's own forum. We could now call it the Pool World Dispute Forum. How's that sound?

I commend 'williebetmore' for his eloquent defense of Jeanette. I want him to represent me if I ever get in trouble. And I particularly like 'cleary's' short and sweet response. It does seem like everything began to go sideways after "PROBABLY". A little more definitive answer here (like a simple yes or no) might have prevented all this venom from spewing forth later.

And 'sjm's' remarks about Jeanette hit home as well. He always is right on the money at the right time. You can set your clock by him. All in all, this one belongs in Small Claims Court. See you there. :rolleyes:

That's about it for me. I've got problems of my own to worry about. ;)

And NO, I didn't give anyone any rep. :)

Last edited: