JJ ball cleaning foul

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
No. An insect fell on the table and at the same time Shaw motioned with his hand, the ref asked for the clock to be paused. It was an external interruption that is not a normal part of playing a game of pool (depending on where you play I guess 😂).
Maybe it was an insect JJ wanted remove from the cue ball. So if it's alive we stop the clock. But if it's deceased uh squished all over the cue ball???? Status of limitations has expired along with the bug. I Guess 🤷

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
In skimming I saw conspiracy theory, uh or did I? My freshly formed theory goes like this.
The scene was scripted for Earl. I mean with Shaw getting a stopped clock??? Oh Hell No. Earl would have put on a real show. 😉

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Jeremy Jones excited the arena, he passed by Emily Frazer in her pink blazer and the camera crew. She looked right at him, but he was oblivious to anything at this juncture. Other Team USA members were walking with Jeremy fast, and I saw Jeremy slam his forehead with his hand, as if to show disappointment in himself for what happened. I really felt for him at that point. I wish I had captured the screenshot because the look on his face was one of deep disappointment, not at the referee, not at Matchroom, but at himself.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He had 12 seconds left, asked for the ball to be cleaned, they cleaned it and placed it back and 4,3,2,1 foul 4 to 4 Alcaide gets BIH runs it out.

Said no one told him it was the rule and the clock should have stopped.
And the British fans were yelling while he was playing to throw him off his game.

That's why we needed Earl there. Earl would have shut that crap down. The concept of "losing gracefully" is idiotic. The Brits use every dirty trick they can get away with while the USA "loses gracefully".

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Jeremy Jones excited the arena, he passed by Emily Frazer in her pink blazer and the camera crew. She looked right at him, but he was oblivious to anything at this juncture. Other Team USA members were walking with Jeremy fast, and I saw Jeremy slam his forehead with his hand, as if to show disappointment in himself for what happened. I really felt for him at that point. I wish I had captured the screenshot because the look on his face was one of deep disappointment, not at the referee, not at Matchroom, but at himself.
Hate to see self-inflicted anguish on anyone's face.

In the long run though, JJ will have a new nickname and be remembered for stepping up and bringing some really good pool to the table.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the British fans were yelling while he was playing to throw him off his game.

That's why we needed Earl there. Earl would have shut that crap down. The concept of "losing gracefully" is idiotic. The Brits use every dirty trick they can get away with while the USA "loses gracefully".
I watched the highlights and there was plenty of crowd noise when both sides shot.

Your second paragraph is full or wrong, as well. Earl would not have been effective in any attempt to 'shit that crap down' and like it or not, the error by Cap'n Jones was a foul and the repercussions appropriate.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw got a ball cleaned yesterday and they stopped the clock though?
There is gambling on the Mosconi Cup. There is gambling on snooker in England.

A few years ago the #1 snooker player in England was caught agreeing to fix matches. Barry Hearn was instrumental in getting him a slap on the wrist and back playing snooker.

kling&allen

Registered
This issue is no different than NFL fans debating pass interference calls (which are subjective). The only solution is for players to own the situation and not rely on help from the referee during key shots (or plays in the case of football).

I thought the MR commentators could have done a better job in the aftermath explaining the situation. Or even respond online . The explanations in this thread are better than what MR aired during the broadcast.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should the ref also remind them not to double hit the cue ball when it is close to the object ball? Should the ref tell them when they don't think a good hit is possible at the angle they are shooting at their object ball that is locked up with the opponents object ball? Should the ref remind the player of the rule that you can't stop a rolling cue ball before that player goes to shoot the final 9 ball in just in case they might do that after they pocket the 9? What other rules and such should players be reminded of when the ref thinks they may break them?

So whether rules should apply or not all depends on how hard the players are playing?

Seems like you might have let yourself get a little emotional about this and all logic went out the window.

For sure that match was emotional. Are you a robot? It's the mosconi cup. At the end of the day rules are rules and there's nothing you can do about it. I still think it is bs that the ref can interact with balls on the table while the clock continues. That would be like the last remaining seconds of a basketball game and the ref cleans the ball, oh sorry the clock ran out you lost Lakers. In every other ball sport on Earth, time out occurs when players are no longer hmm, what's the word? Oh yeah, "playing".

Jeremy was testing the clock on one or two other shots previously while wiping his hands and taking extra time out of his shot to do that. He should learn from this and clip a towel to his pocket if you ask me. In your other examples, no the ref shouldn't say anything as it has nothing to do with the time counting down. In this example Jeremy essentially forfeited his turn and the ref let him.

These rule minutia can bite players. Skyler missed calling a push out I think last year. And Shane missed calling an extension in another recent tournament. Shit happens.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He played well. He had a major mental mistake due to the pressure. Every one of us posting on this forum can relate. I am sure this one will stick with him, but he's a past champion and will own it and the next speaking opportunity is my guess.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He played well. He had a major mental mistake due to the pressure. Every one of us posting on this forum can relate. I am sure this one will stick with him, but he's a past champion and will own it and the next speaking opportunity is my guess.
Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 7.29.43 AM.png

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
The minute Earl got disqualified usa should"ve got together pack up their bags and headed back home screw Emily frazer and Boris johnson totalitarian regime covid rules
They are pool players. They need the money.

SlateMan

Registered
The worst part about this incident was that JJ was about to have that entire arena on their feet cheering for him if he won. You could see the appreciation of the fans building on each shot he made. Him winning would have had been the stuff of legends. I think we would have gained the initiative if he was able to close that out.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should the ref also remind them not to double hit the cue ball when it is close to the object ball? Should the ref tell them when they don't think a good hit is possible at the angle they are shooting at their object ball that is locked up with the opponents object ball? Should the ref remind the player of the rule that you can't stop a rolling cue ball before that player goes to shoot the final 9 ball in just in case they might do that after they pocket the 9? What other rules and such should players be reminded of when the ref thinks they may break them?

So whether rules should apply or not all depends on how hard the players are playing?

Seems like you might have let yourself get a little emotional about this and all logic went out the window.
Well the ref does call a frozen ball without being asked.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
There is gambling on the Mosconi Cup. There is gambling on snooker in England.

A few years ago the #1 snooker player in England was caught agreeing to fix matches. Barry Hearn was instrumental in getting him a slap on the wrist and back playing snooker.
Talking about Higgins? He was invited to a hotel room for a meeting under false guises. Once he got there, you could tell he was uncomfortable. There’s video footage. He talks in hypotheticals never really agreeing to do anything. He has no idea who these people are. Gangsters? Bookies? He gets out of there. They turn out to be journalists trying to hook him for match fixing. He never actually threw any matches. No evidence was found of him fixing matches, but he was punished for not immediately coming forward to the WST to disclose the meeting.