Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be curious if him playing in this event was part of the reason they changed the break rules. For the best players, him included, the preliminary stage of this event is going to nearly be a coin-flip.

I'm sure given a month he will be able to figure out how to get shape on the one after the break while the wired wing ball goes in. There will be very little safety play involved as well as the spreads will be very predictable. Judd will be a very difficult out in this format.

it's the same break rule as 2017. and iirc the rule was the same even before matchroom bought it. imo it's not possible to master the break, jumping, kicking within weeks, let alone transitioning to bigger diameter balls (and possibly cue tip size). trump has slim chances against a high fargo player.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
it's the same break rule as 2017. and iirc the rule was the same even before matchroom bought it. imo it's not possible to master the break, jumping, kicking within weeks, let alone transitioning to bigger diameter balls (and possibly cue tip size). trump has slim chances against a high fargo player.
Some snooker players will take to 9-ball very quickly. After all, the outs are like running the colors.
The jumping will be tough...but Efren survived without jumping much. Any top snooker player is a good kicker. The adjustment to pool rails is not that big. It’s packs from top players that’s gonna hurt him

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No surprise. Judd will be on the TV table tomorrow. Looks like the 3rd match if I'm looking at the schedule correctly

BlueRaider

Registered
No surprise. Judd will be on the TV table tomorrow. Looks like the 3rd match if I'm looking at the schedule correctly

It will be interesting to see if he misses a few shots. I don’t think Ronnie missed a single ball vs Archer at the IPT in 8 ball, but his break absolutely killed him.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Joe Magee is Trumps first opponent. I wonder how good he is. I searched his name on fargo rate and came up dry. I wonder if he is extra nervous that he will be the center of attention due to his opponent, or is thrilled about it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Magee is Trumps first opponent. I wonder how good he is. I searched his name on fargo rate and came up dry. I wonder if he is extra nervous that he will be the center of attention due to his opponent, or is thrilled about it.

There's an interview with him somewhere in this thread. He owns a pool room. Most pool room owners I've known are pretty good, but he also said he just started playing like 4 years ago.

Edit: I think he might just own a regular bar. Not a pool room.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Not sure if you saw these two short videos with Joe Magee, but they could give some very, very rough indication of his skill level. It isn't much to go on but my best guess is that he could fall anywhere along the line in the 530-630 fargo range, and probably isn't a short stop. Seems to be having fun with the whole thing though. Also looks like he is fairly local to your old stomping grounds, so one of your buddies back home may know of him and have a better line on his play. Share if you hear more. Or maybe 9andout, who posted the second link and seems to know or at least be familiar with him, will share. Personally I hope he does well in the match.

Raceto9

Has anyone heard if Trump is just winging it, or has he been playing with an experienced 9-ball player?
He is just winging it really. It's only happening cause there is no snooker tournament for 1 month, so he is available. He usually goes to Greece or Spain in September but this time Matchroom convinced him otherwise probably with financial incentive, but also he loves travelling with his brother and mates so Atlantic City is probably an attractive destination for him and his crew - I expect them to party every night (even during tournament days).

At best he's got about 2 weeks of practice, including a few days with a pro (Karl Boyes).

Another reason I'd say he is just winging it is that there is no incentive for him to switch to pool and take it seriously. The lowest cash prize in snooker is the size of the highest cash prize in pool. When he won the world championship he made about 700k USD and about 1.5mil USD in one single season. To put this in context, I believe only 4 pool players have made that much in their whole career ... (Efren, SVB, Mika, Dennis)

Now he is still a competitor at heart, so once at the table he will take it seriously and try his hardest, and with his skills anything can happen ...

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if you saw these two short videos with Joe Magee, but they could give some very, very rough indication of his skill level. It isn't much to go on but my best guess is that he could fall anywhere along the line in the 530-630 fargo range, and probably isn't a short stop. Seems to be having fun with the whole thing though. Also looks like he is fairly local to your old stomping grounds, so one of your buddies back home may know of him and have a better line on his play. Share if you hear more. Or maybe 9andout, who posted the second link and seems to know or at least be familiar with him, will share. Personally I hope he does well in the match.

What a great story. A guy (presumably a very solid amateur pool player) who just wants to pay $750 to play in the US Open, and see what he can do, drawn against a snooker world champion who has been thrown into the mix to promote the tournament. Win-win situation for bar owner and league player Joe Magee.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great story. A guy (presumably a very solid amateur pool player) who just wants to pay $750 to play in the US Open, and see what he can do, drawn against a snooker world champion who has been thrown into the mix to promote the tournament. Win-win situation for bar owner and league player Joe Magee.

that bar business and it's location would be printed all over my shirt if i were him. sweet to get that exposure, and just by chance too.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow, thanks for sharing that. I completely missed it. He looks super familiar in the video. I searched for pictures from his room McGee's, and I recognized the floor and the tables. I did indeed play there 2 or 3 times, 3 years ago. I was traveling back up to Philly, and my buddy from there took me to McGees and the 4 tables were jumping with action and I got a few games. I think I briefly might have met the owner, but I can't recall if I saw him play.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It will be interesting to see if he misses a few shots. I don’t think Ronnie missed a single ball vs Archer at the IPT in 8 ball, but his break absolutely killed him.
Ronnie missed shots, as did Trump today. There’s no reason to think either would not miss shots. Other than ignorant fantasy.

Raceto9

Well, Trump got soooo lucky to draw a low level amateur (no disrespect to Magee - i would probably have played as bad as him if I was on that TV table!).
He made a few horrible mistakes which didn't cost him, but against a pro, that will cost 2, 3 or even 4 frames so I still don't see him beating any pro, but he can definitely scare them .... a little bit ...

His break was really good, it will be amazing if he can carry that on.
He compiled 3 break and runs in 9 breaks (33%) and only 1 dry break.

His touch got really good after a couple frames adjusting, he was able lay out some pretty solid snookers which would have been tough to get out of even for the pros.

As a fan of both pool and snooker, I'm enjoying this soooooo much!! (y) :)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nerves probably had a lot to do with it.
And skill level. Someone who knows him said he's an APA 3 maybe a 4 and he played like it. No disrespect to him. It is what it is. Obviously Judd has skill. He is a world champion after all. That being said, I think a decent short stop drills him. He's too new to 9B. Now, give him a six months to a year and he would probably be a very dangerous rotation player.