List of Living 200+ Runners

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Mikko! Where have you been in this thread, my friend? We need your help!

Can you add any names? Remove any?

Thanks!

- Steve

Bellhemen

Registered
What about women players? Straight Pool was Jeanette Lee's game. Alison Fisher has got to be capable of running 200. I'd bet Jasmin Ouschan has done it or can do it too.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
What about women players? Straight Pool was Jeanette Lee's game. Alison Fisher has got to be capable of running 200. I'd bet Jasmin Ouschan has done it or can do it too.

To my knowledge no woman has ever run 200.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The highest run ever by a woman is Jeanette Lee's 154 or 156.
I'm sure if Allison or Jasmin or Jeanette made it a serious goal to run 200 they'd eventually do it but being capable of it and actually doing it are two different things.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
The highest run ever by a woman is Jeanette Lee's 154 or 156.
I'm sure if Allison or Jasmin or Jeanette made it a serious goal to run 200 they'd eventually do it but being capable of it and actually doing it are two different things.

Mr441,
Jeanette's high run was 152 (in a match with AZB's own sjm - tight Diamond table). It is the highest known run for a woman. If she didn't have a family or have to make a living, she is easily capable of running 200's (or higher).

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Countries of origin added. Lots of googling, lol. I still need countries for:

Aki Heiskanen
Bernd Jahnke
Jui Lung Chen
Rafael Martinez
Martin Poguntke
Ingo Schweden

gentleman789

Straight Pool Player
Silver Member
Countries of origin added. Lots of googling, lol. I still need countries for:

Aki Heiskanen
Bernd Jahnke
Jui Lung Chen
Rafael Martinez
Martin Poguntke
Ingo Schweden

Aki Heiskanen - Finland
Bernd Jahnke - Germany
Jui Lung Chen - ??? sounds chinese :D
Rafael Martinez - Mexico
Martin Poguntke - Germany
Ingo Schweden - Germany

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Aki Heiskanen - Finland
Bernd Jahnke - Germany
Jui Lung Chen - ??? sounds chinese :D
Rafael Martinez - Mexico
Martin Poguntke - Germany
Ingo Schweden - Germany

Thanks Tobias. You've been a great help. Just out of curiosity, how do all the German players learn English so well? Do your schools teach it from a very young age?

- Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mr441,
Jeanette's high run was 152 (in a match with AZB's own sjm - tight Diamond table). It is the highest known run for a woroman. If she didn't have a family or have to make a living, she is easily capable of running 200's (or higher).

Yes, the run was 152 and was against me, but it occurred on a Brunswick Gold Crown III, in 2002 if memory serves. I aslo seem to recall that both Ruth McGuinness and Jean Balukas had high runs in the 130's.

Certainly, no woman has ever run 200, but Jasmin and Jeanette, both very accomplished at 14.1, are capable.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Wendell Weir

Steve: A guy who posts on here as Mr. Hoppe knows a Wendell Weir who was and still is a pretty good 14.1 player here in the midwest. He just called Wendell who told him his high run was 358. Wendel is in his 70s. I imagine Mark Wilson and Jerry Brieseth know of him. I bet Scott Lee played in that weekly tournament with Wendell and others up at Marie's Golden Cue many years ago. Dallas West, Karabotsos and others played there.

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Steve: A guy who posts on here as Mr. Hoppe knows a Wendell Weir who was and still is a pretty good 14.1 player here in the midwest. He just called Wendell who told him his high run was 358. Wendel is in his 70s. I imagine Mark Wilson and Jerry Brieseth know of him. I bet Scott Lee played in that weekly tournament with Wendell and others up at Marie's Golden Cue many years ago. Dallas West, Karabotsos and others played there.

Thanks Dennis. It sounds pretty credible, but if you could get either Mark or Jerry to vouch for his general level of play, that would be great.

I'm adding him in the meantime because I'm afraid I'll forget later.

Thanks,
Steve

gentleman789

Straight Pool Player
Silver Member
Thanks Tobias. You've been a great help. Just out of curiosity, how do all the German players learn English so well? Do your schools teach it from a very young age?

- Steve

Hi Steve,

to be honest, I don't think that all the german players speak english that well :wink:

Usually english lessons begin in 5th grade...thats about aged 12...the german school system includes 3 different kinds of secondary schools and imho you are only able to speak proper english if you've been to "highest" of them...

In my case...it's another story...I've been to that school but I was also raised bilingual so english has never been a problem for me :)

Tobi

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
The countries are mixed up, Wheeler should read USA and Klaus Zobrekis should read Germany.

Great idea to add the countries !

Thanks for catching the sorting issue and for the name correction! Both fixed.

- Steve

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
This list is a nice idea, however, why restrict it to the living? Running 200 is a great accomplishment, living or not. Why not recognise all known 200 ball runners and mark those who have passed with an '*' if you feel that needs to be indicated? Also, could their number of balls run be noted where known? Wendell Weir's is 389.
Thanks for your efforts.
Mr H

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
This list is a nice idea, however, why restrict it to the living? Running 200 is a great accomplishment, living or not. Why not recognise all known 200 ball runners and mark those who have passed with an '*' if you feel that needs to be indicated? Also, could their number of balls run be noted where known? Wendell Weir's is 389.
Thanks for your efforts.
Mr H

Mr. H,

At first I was frustrated with having to answer this question repeatedly, but I realize this thread has gotten very large and it's not fair to expect everyone has read all the replies.

The answer is that I feel we can get a fairly complete list of the living 200+ runners, and we could get nowhere near a complete list of the all-time 200+ runners. I find more value in things that are complete than in things which are incomplete. I realize some may feel differently.

As to including the numbers, this gets tricky. First, I want to focus on getting the names. The problem with the numbers is that they're very often wrong. They might have been wrong from the moment the run was completed ("I think I started with 5 balls on the table 6 racks ago, so let's see, that would be, ..."), or they might become wrong after 30 years of storytelling.

Perhaps I'll separate the players by groups of 50, so I don't have to include the exact numbers (i.e., 200-249, 250-299, 300-349, etc.). This could still be arbitrary, but in most cases would group players into their appropriate bracket.

Thanks,
Steve

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Thanks Steve, it was just food for thought. For verification on Wendell Weir, you could call Dallas West. His road name was Shane. Wendell has beaten the likes of Allen Hopkins and many other well known players. He used to play guys 150 or no-count! He was a 4 time US Open (back when that meant 14.1) semi-finalist, and so MAY also be on Accu-Stats video, though I have no idea what his high run on video may have been.
Mr H

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Oh, and I also want to say a word about why Mr. Soriano's recent run is not included in this list. I sent him a PM a little while ago, telling him that his was the only run that was completely unverified by another person. I asked him his thoughts on being included in the list, because its legitimacy would be harmed if anyone could just write in and tell me they ran 200 in their basement. I told him I wasn't saying he didn't do it, just asking him for his thoughts on what I should do.

Mr. Soriano sent me a very nice reply, completely understanding my quandary and even going so far as to say that if he read the same story from someone else, he would have trouble believing it as well. As such, and especially because of the unverified nature of the run, he agreed that his name should not be on the list. This is not to say he's doubting his run, which he still believes very strongly.

I commend him for sticking to his guns and how he's handled the whole situation. He seems like a good man and we're lucky to have another valued contributor here. He's already posted some great insights on running balls in another thread.

Anyway, I wish I could make some sort of consistent process for inclusion on the list; i.e., have a signed affidavit from two people saying they saw the run. For various reasons, this won't really be possible. So to some extent, I'm forced to make a judgment call on the player's history, and who is reporting the run. If anyone can think of a better process, please bring it up. So far, I think we're all doing a good job because the list has been pretty much complaint-free.

Thanks,
Steve

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Yes, the run was 152 and was against me, but it occurred on a Brunswick Gold Crown III, in 2002 if memory serves.

sjm,
In my defense, I just related what she told me....her memory may be suspect (as are all of ours as we enter those "golden years"). She thought it was at the old "poolroom" behind her previous house.