Lowballing prices

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I'm not talking about a cue that has a 1000 percent markup, so the seller can double his money by selling it for half of what he is asking.
I'm talking about someone offering me 300 for a one of one cue I made and am asking 400 delivered. I am not a cue flipper, I have been building for 20 plus years and have receipts for over $100, 000 in equipment and woods.

When markets change one has to adapt if they want to remain in business. Everything is negotiable, I would counteroffer and try to move him to somewhere between $350 and $380. If I can't, I move on.

PS: It's totally normal for buyers and sellers to negotiate price on every order, like buying a car, not so for salaried employees.

Good luck.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread popped into my mind yesterday. We're looking for a loveseat or a couple of comfortable chairs to fill a void in our living room. I hate buying new furniture. Wife saw two used comfy chairs on craigslist that have been for sale for 60 days now. They were asking $150 a piece since they "didn't have room for the chairs in their new house". My wife emailed them asking if they'd take $150 for the pair, and we'd pick them up right away.

Their response would make you think we had taken a dump in their pool. How any "sane person could offer such a low amount" had greatly offended them. They said how much the chairs cost when they were new ($325 each) and that they'd only owned them for three years. They asked us to please never email them again.

Maybe it's just me, but if I had used chairs for sale for two months that I didn't have room for, I'd have taken the cash. Oh well, plenty of used furniture out there.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Hah! WOW
im_shocked.gif

LOTS of Looney's out there

JC

Coos Cues
This thread popped into my mind yesterday. We're looking for a loveseat or a couple of comfortable chairs to fill a void in our living room. I hate buying new furniture. Wife saw two used comfy chairs on craigslist that have been for sale for 60 days now. They were asking $150 a piece since they "didn't have room for the chairs in their new house". My wife emailed them asking if they'd take $150 for the pair, and we'd pick them up right away.

Their response would make you think we had taken a dump in their pool. How any "sane person could offer such a low amount" had greatly offended them. They said how much the chairs cost when they were new ($325 each) and that they'd only owned them for three years. They asked us to please never email them again.

Maybe it's just me, but if I had used chairs for sale for two months that I didn't have room for, I'd have taken the cash. Oh well, plenty of used furniture out there.

The fact that they paid retail for the things doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on their present value. I've seen chairs on showroom floors for 4 figures that I would file a restraining order and press charges if you tried giving them to me.

Where's the link, I think I would like to enquire about the chairs..:wink:

JC

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another question, let's say you go to work, assuming you have a job, and your boss tells you, you have to work for 75 percent of your normal pay for the next month. How would feel ?

Thats not a really fair comparison. In the case of wages, it is a pre agreed upon rate. It's negotiated. In that case would say go talk to my union.... And good luck with that.

But if during negotiations, if he makes an offer I feel is too low, I say no and make a counter offer, or move on.

Same on the cue. If it is a cue that you custom ordered, which would/should have a pre agreed on price, then pay what you agreed on.

If it's one he just had in stock, making an offer is acceptable. Then either he accepts, or graciously refuses.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a wasted thread
The seller post a price

that's his business,it is probably too high but why should i complain?

I offer him half the price or even less,who cares take it or say no thanks

Why all this baloney about low balling or high balling?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Getting lowballed is annoying, getting trade lowballed is worse. :) I have pulled a few trades for other items of use which have been beneficial. I have traded a few cues I owned for guitars, worked out....

JV

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Getting lowballed is annoying, getting trade lowballed is worse. :) I have pulled a few trades for other items of use which have been beneficial. I have traded a few cues I owned for guitars, worked out....

JV

Lowball trade offers are substantially worse

I traded a new Runde for a new Gibson Midtowner with a cool sunburst finish
Probably my favorite guitar, even better than my 70's American Classic Stratocaster

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Lowball trade offers are substantially worse

I traded a new Runde for a new Gibson Midtowner with a cool sunburst finish
Probably my favorite guitar, even better than my 70's American Classic Stratocaster

I got a PRS 98 CE USA Made in trade (sold)... turned a small trade for two import guitars and two amps into a two USA strats, which turned into a Suhr Classic Pro, (have) and kept one amp...

JV

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I was in Missoula Montana a couple days ago. A bar owner there asked me if i could rebuild his 7ft Diamond coin op and turn it into a blue label, and if so, for how much? I replied it would cost him $1,500, to which he asked me if i could do it for a $1,000. I didn't get offended what-so-ever, i simply replied, i COULD do it for a $1,0000, but i won't, so do you want me to schedule you in for March, or not? He said go ahead, just let me know a few days in advance so he can get the money together, said ok, I'll call you later and left. I have no idea why or how you guys can turn lowballing into such a long talked about subject, it's pretty simple to just say yes or no to the offer and go on about your day!!!