Making a Goldcrown 4 play like a Diamond ProAM

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the 4 9fts are, but not the 7ft Diamond coin-ops, they just happen to still have the red logo on them, not the blue. Sal loved the way the 9ft's played after they were re-calibrated...but he's just an amateur player, and probably don't know ANYTHING about how a table should play....right?:grin:

Keep trying, maybe some day you'll get it right;)

With all that squawking about how you're the best table mechanic, your tables SHOULD play better than Ernestos. How come they don't?

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ernestos tables

Your opinion is that Ernestos tables play better than Glen's I have to disagree after playing on tables setup by both. Ernestos tables don't bank like a gold crown because he puts the wrong profile cushion on the rails and you can't play a ball down the rail with any speed and make the ball because of the shims. The same shot on a table set right up goes in. Most people don't know the difference But I do know that after seeing his tables he won't work on mine. Glenn has never worked on my table but guys that have worked with him have and because of that I have in my opinion the best playing 8' Gold Crown II. 4 1/2" pockets.

LoVe4DaGaMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that buying a Diamond table is the best bet instead of trying to make another table like a Diamond (which inevitably can never be like a Diamond.. Im sure they can get super close, but ya know what I mean.. Im being complicated.. haha.)

Either way, I want a table in my house so bad.. but I won't buy anything but a Diamond. So I have to save my money to get it. My mind is dead set on it, and my stubborn mind prevails all the time.

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your opinion is that Ernestos tables play better than Glen's I have to disagree after playing on tables setup by both. Ernestos tables don't bank like a gold crown because he puts the wrong profile cushion on the rails and you can't play a ball down the rail with any speed and make the ball because of the shims. The same shot on a table set right up goes in. Most people don't know the difference But I do know that after seeing his tables he won't work on mine. Glenn has never worked on my table but guys that have worked with him have and because of that I have in my opinion the best playing 8' Gold Crown II. 4 1/2" pockets.

I hear where you are coming from. I hit balls down the rail with speed and don't have a problem. If it's a well hit ball it goes. The tables at the old Hollywood Billiards and Hardtimes play nice! All Ernesto.

LoVe4DaGaMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear where you are coming from. I hit balls down the rail with speed and don't have a problem. If it's a well hit ball it goes. The tables at the old Hollywood Billiards and Hardtimes play nice! All Ernesto.

Well.. In my opinion.. If someone does it right, whether they are the god of pool table leveling / re-calibration / etc. or the worst ever, they still did it right.

I have no idea who either of these men are.. I just felt like throwing some input in there.. What I said makes perfect sense though.. if someone who sucks does something perfect, and someone who is amazing does it perfect.. they still are perfect in the end..

So.. I dunno.. I guess what I am saying it.. If both of these guys are known for having good tables... then They obviously both have good tables, because someone likes them.. somewhere.. so I wouldn't be so suprised to find decent tables from either of them.. Ya know? (This all makes perfect sense to me right now.. but its 5 AM and I am worn out! haha.. So we will see how dumb I feel tomorrow..)

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well.. In my opinion.. If someone does it right, whether they are the god of pool table leveling / re-calibration / etc. or the worst ever, they still did it right.

I have no idea who either of these men are.. I just felt like throwing some input in there.. What I said makes perfect sense though.. if someone who sucks does something perfect, and someone who is amazing does it perfect.. they still are perfect in the end..

So.. I dunno.. I guess what I am saying it.. If both of these guys are known for having good tables... then They obviously both have good tables, because someone likes them.. somewhere.. so I wouldn't be so suprised to find decent tables from either of them.. Ya know? (This all makes perfect sense to me right now.. but its 5 AM and I am worn out! haha.. So we will see how dumb I feel tomorrow..)

That's exactly my point, if it plays well I don't care about the SPECS! Period.
The tables at Hardtimes are played into the ground and they still play great. That's all Ernesto!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well.. In my opinion.. .. I just felt like throwing some input in there.. What I said makes perfect sense though.. if someone who sucks does something perfect, and someone who is amazing does it perfect.. they still are perfect in the end..
...how dumb I feel tomorrow..)

YOu are failing to consider an important point: the one who sucks, sucks because he can't do it well. Logic 101.

It is true that 2 perfect things are both perfect though. You got that part right.

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Personally I don't understand the point of having pockets so tight that you have that little voice in the back of your head "Even if I hit this right it won't go at this speed" and "Probably jaw up" Then you have to cater your stroke specifically to the playing conditions of that table, although I guess that knowledge will carry over to the next overly tight table.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
;)Got any good music to share?;)
attachment.php

Mr. DJ!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that Guys & Dolls in Roanoke???
Of course it is...that is a pic I took while you and I were playing. You were pretending to be flummoxed and I thought I was gonna win that 1p set. You were just toying with me though.

'Twas nice that your wife let you get out that day...even though you did beat me.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Of course it is...that is a pic I took while you and I were playing. You were pretending to be flummoxed and I thought I was gonna win that 1p set. You were just toying with me though.

'Twas nice that your wife let you get out that day...even though you did beat me.

I don't recall any of that. Must have been during my drinking days...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That's exactly my point, if it plays well I don't care about the SPECS! Period.
The tables at Hardtimes are played into the ground and they still play great. That's all Ernesto!

I get it, you're Pro Ernesto, nothing wrong with that. But sooner or later them tables are going to have to have the wood replaced on the bottom of the rails and at the ends because it's going to be so chewed out from stapling the rails and pounding nails in to hold the pockets in place....THEN what's going to happen? Just curious...does Ernesto rebuild rails and make them new all over again?...see, the funny thing is, on all the tables I've worked on following Ernesto's work....not one had ever been rebuilt...and they sure needed it before I got the job of rebuilding the rails;)......think about it;)

Glen

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get it, you're Pro Ernesto, nothing wrong with that. But sooner or later them tables are going to have to have the wood replaced on the bottom of the rails and at the ends because it's going to be so chewed out from stapling the rails and pounding nails in to hold the pockets in place....THEN what's going to happen? Just curious...does Ernesto rebuild rails and make them new all over again?...see, the funny thing is, on all the tables I've worked on following Ernesto's work....not one had ever been rebuilt...and they sure needed it before I got the job of rebuilding the rails;)......think about it;)

Glen

I'm not up to speed on the table talk. Are you saying he did bad work?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm not up to speed on the table talk. Are you saying he did bad work?

No, I've never said Ernesto did bad work. What I said was, from what I've seen following Ernesto's work is that when the rails needed to be rebuilt because the wood had been stapled out so bad, that part of the job was not done, as to the reason why...I can't answer that. When you have to start using 1/2" long staples to hold the cloth on the bottom of the rails, and a LOT of them...at some point in time, you have to figure the rails need to be repaired. If as a mechanic, you don't do the repair...but change the cushions and install new cloth anyway, extend the rails using wood and silicone to fill in between the wood extension and the sub-rail to change the pocket angles...what are you really doing?

Glen

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...If you don't do the repair...but change the cushions and install new cloth anyway, extend the rails using wood and silicone to fill in between the wood extension and the sub-rail to change the pocket angles...what are you really doing?

Glen

Ahh, glasshapah.

Ansah is in question.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen threads all over about this type of thing. What is it about a diamond that is so much better than a GC? Are they more level? I've read about the depth or the pockets, but a harder table doesn't sound that appealing to me. Why is everyone doing this?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen threads all over about this type of thing. What is it about a diamond that is so much better than a GC? Are they more level? I've read about the depth or the pockets, but a harder table doesn't sound that appealing to me. Why is everyone doing this?

For me, it was the difficulty of play, the one piece slate, the way it looked, and the ball return (super fast and quiet).

I enjoy GCs also, but would never buy one if I had the option of getting a Diamond.

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe there is just more research and overkill that goes into the Diamond. All the leveling points, phenolic impregnated wood, the pockets play more consistently and as tight as a triple shimmed GC's without shims. The ball return is fast and rubber padded.. The pockets sit flush to the table or maybe even slightly below. 1" slates. I think the rails are a bit more lively, maybe because the way they are cut or because they are built to the table in way that allows them to be stiffer.

IMO, if you have 5k to drop on a table, get a used Diamond ProAM. If you have 2500-3000 get a GC4, 1800-2000, GC3. If you have 1000.00, no matter what table brand you have, make sure you find a good mechanic...:cool:

I paid 1600.00 for my K-Steel and I have no complaints yet. Well, hmmm, the bottom of the frame is a little dusty.:p Although I need to spend more time on it to know its strengths and weaknesses.