Making all the balls on the break in 9 ball?

Sadly, I watched Kim Davenport make 5 or 6 on the break in Reno (Bar Table Tournament) a few years back and still lost the game ... I was waiting for his Szamboti to be slammed on the table (as per usual), but he kept his cool, for once ... His demeanor has greatly improved overall since his return to Pool after the severe eye injury and those of us who enjoy his style of play are very happy to see him making a big comeback ...
 
Ed Wiggins said:
This has seen the rounds before, but just in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf2Pv_yhvVk

I've seen it many times before. But there's something very fishy about this rack.

First of all, the 1 follows the 4 into the lower left hand corner. I don't think I ever seen the 1 ball go directly to one of the lower corners. The 2 and the 3 go straight to the side pockets. The 4 and the 5 go to the lower corners while the 6 and 7 bank into the upper corners. The 9 banks into the side and the 8 somehow does not hit a rail and follows the 1 and the 4 into the lower left hand pocket. Furthermore, no two balls contact each other after the break. I guess that's all fine and dandy if there was a way to freeze all those balls so that they're dead in the pockets. But there's one huge giveaway in this video. Rep to the first person who spots it.
 
Varney Cues said:
I've made 5 so many times I've quit counting...made 6 several times as well. Craziest thing I've seen is when I once broke in league playing 8 ball...made 7 balls & all were solids. Thank goodness I could see the 8.:D


So what did you do? Striking the 8-Ball would have been a foul, or at least I think so.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=25003

My best in 9-Ball is 5, 6 in 8-ball.

gr. Dave
 
Drew said:
I've seen it many times before. But there's something very fishy about this rack.

First of all, the 1 follows the 4 into the lower left hand corner. I don't think I ever seen the 1 ball go directly to one of the lower corners. The 2 and the 3 go straight to the side pockets. The 4 and the 5 go to the lower corners while the 6 and 7 bank into the upper corners. The 9 banks into the side and the 8 somehow does not hit a rail and follows the 1 and the 4 into the lower left hand pocket. Furthermore, no two balls contact each other after the break. I guess that's all fine and dandy if there was a way to freeze all those balls so that they're dead in the pockets. But there's one huge giveaway in this video. Rep to the first person who spots it.

I would say the dead giveaway is the cueball action......it doesnt park in the middle yet it follows to end rail and ends at the top.....impossible for so much cueball action on the break unless hit way off center of the one. Do I win?
 
a9ballbr8k said:
I would say the dead giveaway is the cueball action......it doesnt park in the middle yet it follows to end rail and ends at the top.....impossible for so much cueball action on the break unless hit way off center of the one. Do I win?

Nope...but I'll rep you anyway.

Hint: It has nothing to do with the break.
 
Thanks!!!

Furthermore it looks edited because of the guy walking around the table. There is a break.
 
Drew said:
I've seen it many times before. But there's something very fishy about this rack.

First of all, the 1 follows the 4 into the lower left hand corner. I don't think I ever seen the 1 ball go directly to one of the lower corners. The 2 and the 3 go straight to the side pockets. The 4 and the 5 go to the lower corners while the 6 and 7 bank into the upper corners. The 9 banks into the side and the 8 somehow does not hit a rail and follows the 1 and the 4 into the lower left hand pocket. Furthermore, no two balls contact each other after the break. I guess that's all fine and dandy if there was a way to freeze all those balls so that they're dead in the pockets. But there's one huge giveaway in this video. Rep to the first person who spots it.
Is it when you try to scroll back and forth with the bar at the bottom it doesn't work properly?? perhaps from editing...
 
Last edited:
a9ballbr8k said:
Thanks!!!

Furthermore it looks edited because of the guy walking around the table. There is a break.

That's it. I don't know of anyone who would completely ignore a break like that.

Craig Fales said:
Is it when you try to scroll back and forth with bar at the bottom it doesn't work properly?? perhaps from editing...

That's just a symptom of youtube. All the videos are like that.
 
In an episode of The Twilight Zone, a guy makes all fifteen balls on the break playing eight ball.
 
Varney Cues said:
made 7 balls & all were solids. Thank goodness I could see the 8.:D

This exact thing happened in league in Birmingham once. It was by a horrible player who miscued and the cue popped in the air and went back through the rack. He was left straight in on the 8, the guy's only break and run ever.

In 9 ball I have broken in 7 once, maybe twice. My most impressive/worst 9 ball break, I made 5 and hung up the other 4 with the cueball in the jaws behind one of them so that I couldn't make a legal hit and there was no safe place to push. I just raked the balls and racked.
 
Varney Cues said:
I've made 5 so many times I've quit counting...made 6 several times as well. Craziest thing I've seen is when I once broke in league playing 8 ball...made 7 balls & all were solids. Thank goodness I could see the 8.:D

You should have been playing the lottery that day! OMG!! :eek:

Best I've ever done on a 8-ball rack was 5 stripes and had NO shot on the other 2, but I did run out the solids. :D I've dumped in 3 of the same group several times and 4 a couple of times that I can remember, but it's rare.

I've had a tops of 5 balls go in on a 9-ball rack and that was on a 9-footer.
 
I've done the same but on a bar box.

raemondo said:
This 8 ball break takes the cake for the best break I've ever heard! I'll bet you'll say you broke it with a Varney.

When I was running a pool hall with a buddy, we went to the university of Redlands and setup a valley bar box for some demonstrations. I was breaking eight ball and made seven stripes and no solids with the eight hanging in a corner.
 
Varney Cues said:
I've made 5 so many times I've quit counting...made 6 several times as well. Craziest thing I've seen is when I once broke in league playing 8 ball...made 7 balls & all were solids. Thank goodness I could see the 8.:D

I saw a guy make 5 of one suit, but had to shoot the other balls...he won the game.

Kelly
 
I did that

Kelly_Guy said:
I saw a guy make 5 of one suit, but had to shoot the other balls...he won the game.

Kelly

I made 5 stripes on the break against Josh Johnson at the ACS Tour stop on Saturday. The two remaining stripes and the 8 were wide open, but the cueball was frozen against the 9 at an impossible angle. I took solids and ended up winning the game (and the match.)
 
I've seen seven balls made at hill-hill for two hundred. The guy was frozen behind the nine with the (I think four ball) about four inches in front of a pocket. There was NOWHERE the guy could push to. He HAD to kick. Gah, was he pissed.
 
Kelly_Guy said:
I saw a guy make 5 of one suit, but had to shoot the other balls...he won the game.

Kelly
Good thing he wasn't playing in some bar against a punk declaring BAR rules.
 
1984-5, Cassidy's Billiards, Houston. I saw one of the weirdest 9 ball breaks ever.

Alanta Danny Greer made 6 balls on the break, all in the same pocket! With three balls left on the table, he was hooked behind the 9 ball.

I've made a few 5's and one 6 over the years which is surprising because I break terrible.

Stones
 
Back
Top