Max Eberle!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
When you're down 82 to 40ish and the rack is wide open, no different than conceding the 9 or 10 in the hill game.

It only seems different because its 1 ball versus a few balls. But relatively speaking its basically the same. Max would have likely run out and been the end of it or very close to it.

Not really, as Max's 100-97 win over Feijen shows it can be close. And the annals of 14.1 are filled with players who were way ahead and lost when their opponent got an opening and ran a big number and out.

I think that fans would have preferred to see it played out to it's conclusion. Dennis Orcullo robbed Max of the honor of finishing out the match properly as well as robbed the fans of the full match.

AGAIN this shows how little regard the players REALLY have for 14.1. Last year at the SBE the sponsor Fury Cues and the fans were robbed when there was no finals because the players had other plans. Now once again the player robs the fans and the sponsors of another finals.

And people wonder why sponsors are so hesitant to do anything.

One time we gave a player $5000 and bought him a plane ticket to go to the World Championships. Guess when we found out he didn't show up? When the draw result was posted. Nice job Dennis to rob the sponsors and fans of a great matchup.

Congratulations to Max for getting Dennis Orcullo to concede! Feather in your cap buddy and great job on winning it.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Not really, as Max's 100-97 win over Feijen shows it can be close. And the annals of 14.1 are filled with players who were way ahead and lost when their opponent got an opening and ran a big number and out.

I think that fans would have preferred to see it played out to it's conclusion. Dennis Orcullo robbed Max of the honor of finishing out the match properly as well as robbed the fans of the full match.

AGAIN this shows how little regard the players REALLY have for 14.1. Last year at the SBE the sponsor Fury Cues and the fans were robbed when there was no finals because the players had other plans. Now once again the player robs the fans and the sponsors of another finals.

And people wonder why sponsors are so hesitant to do anything.

One time we gave a player $5000 and bought him a plane ticket to go to the World Championships. Guess when we found out he didn't show up? When the draw result was posted. Nice job Dennis to rob the sponsors and fans of a great matchup.

Congratulations to Max for getting Dennis Orcullo to concede! Feather in your cap buddy and great job on winning it.

i think the players have regard for 14.1. ive seen that game make more top break almost break their cue and the 14.1 events usually pay not much.
believe me orcullo who plays unreal doesnt like playing a game like 14.1 that makes him look quite human.hes beatable at it and he got frustrated.doesnt happen often for him lol.
on another note glad your daughter is ok .
i agree though i wish the players all had to play 14,1 on tour. its what the pros played only for 80 years but oh well.

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High run of 117. Just goes to show you how brutal a 10' Diamond can be.

I would run out of breath just walking around it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They need a shot clock if they have the event again next year. I enjoy 14.1 and play it a lot but that was hard to watch.

Congrats to Max, next year hopefully they can speed things up with a shot clock.

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max's win

I would not expect to see a finalist concede in the finals of a major bowling tournament, golf tournament or the super bowl.

Even worse that this has become acceptable as the "norm" or "common place" in pool tournaments. :(

That said:

Congrats to Max - as well as Dennis to have made it to the finals.

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
Congrats to Max on the win! Sorry to hear that he wasn't given the chance to run those final 18 balls, but glad to see him get the win! I think having that 10-foot table at Best Billiards LV gave him an edge over everyone. :wink:

-Brian

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I got out of the loop on the straight pool at the DCC and missed a great victory by a great guy. Two thumbs up for Max Eberle!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Congrats to Max on the win! Sorry to hear that he wasn't given the chance to run those final 18 balls, but glad to see him get the win! I think having that 10-foot table at Best Billiards LV gave him an edge over everyone. :wink:

-Brian

I feel that even if an opponent concedes if the shooter is on run then they should continue the run until they miss. This is one way records happen.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A great win for Max.

But sometimes I wonder....this stuff wakes me up at 4 am often....
..Is it proper for a vegan to have a steak horse?....:confused:

JC

Coos Cues
I didn't feel confident the next 18 balls were a foregone conclusion at that moment based on how the rest of the match had gone and was a bit surprised by the concession. At least wait until that rack is gone and the break is successful on the next one. Plus one for the shot clock. Life is too short to spend it looking at someone looking at a pool table.

JC

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Regarding posts that vote for a shot clock:

I only saw the Eberle-Fiejen and Eberle-Orcullo matches, but I didn't think there was any slow play in either match. And I'm a pretty impatient person -- drives me nuts when a breaker racks...and racks...and re-racks the balls.

But I don't recall any of the players taking too long in those matches.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't feel confident the next 18 balls were a foregone conclusion at that moment based on how the rest of the match had gone ...

I agree. In the final match, Max scored as many as 18 points in only one inning (when he ran 45 and then fouled). Same for Orcollo -- he got 23 once and all the other innings were less than 18.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Regarding posts that vote for a shot clock:

I only saw the Eberle-Fiejen and Eberle-Orcullo matches, but I didn't think there was any slow play in either match. ...

Here are the stats.

Eberle/Feijen match
Length -- 2 hours and 41 minutes
Points scored -- 197
Shots taken (including safeties, fouls and misses) -- approx. 230
Time per point scored = 49 sec.
Time per shot taken = 42 sec.
Eberle/Orcollo match
Length -- 2 hours and 20 minutes
Points scored -- 137
Shots taken -- approx. 167
Time per point scored = 61 sec.
Time per shot taken = 50 sec.​

Last edited:

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of how the match ended lets not detract from the fact Max won and was deserving. That come back on Niels was some amazing pool under pressure.

Well done and deserved Max.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looked like Dennis didn't have his concentration going for a couple of innings before his forfeit. He seemed to take a flyer at the end. Great player, nonetheless. Congrats, Max!

Max's stroke has gotten better since he started playing at Best Billiards. I watched a few of his latest vids and noticed the improvement...if that's possible. :D Keep it up!

Best,
Mike

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I was watching the match when Orcullo conceded and some context may be necessary here.

First, though, congratulations to Max, with whom I had the pleasure of breakfasting on Saturday morning. Max is a great guy, a great player, and a credit to our sport. He was the deserving champion of the 14.1 challenge and I couldn't be happier for him.

Some information that should be considered here:

1) Max was well ahead and was very likely heading for victory. Orcullo obviously knew it, as did others in attendance.
2) From the straight pool arena, one could look down and watch the action on the TV table.
3) Dennis, quite keen on watching the final in which his close friend Alex Pagulayan was competing for the nine ball title, watched Alex's match between his turns, and I think, win or lose, he was hoping the 14.1 match would conclude promptly.
4) Dennis already had close to $25,000 in the bank at the Derby, most of which he won by taking first place in the 10-ball event, so the $1,000 difference between winning and losing the 14.1 final was not as big a deal as it might seem.
5) Max was playing slowly and presided over a very difficult position at 83-54 ahead for quite a long time when Dennis conceded.
6) Dennis won his semifinal on Friday night and waited around all day for Niels to be eliminated from the nine ball, after which Max and Niels would play their semifinal. The 14.1 final should not have started that late and Dennis' impatience was hardly a surprise.

After his concession, Dennis watched the remainder of the nine ball final and got to cheer on his victorious friend, Alex Pagulayan.

I don't think Dennis discredited 14.1 in any way and certainly didn't show a lack of heart. Max was the better man lSatuirday night and rightfully captured the first place prize.

Best to focus on Max's exellence rather than on Dennis' concession.

Well played, Max. Bravo!

Last edited:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
What a joke

Didn't see any of it so if I am off a little forgive me.
Great win Max, well deserved.

Joke Time.
If I am playing to 100 points and I am down 99 to minus 32.... I am praying he misses to give me a shot to run out or opportunity to make a move to have a shot to run out.
To concede a match unless it's for health reasons or your uncle harry just died is somewhat acceptable.

If you throw in the towel because you are frustrated ,,want to watch Alex dance around or whatever.....Rules should state...you forfeit your potential winnings and the money moves up in place. In this case it would be Max takes the prize for 1st and 2nd.. and Orcullo can go clean his shaft. Next year you cannot enter in that event.
This is not little league pool. This is what the workers in the industry are trying to sell to large sponsors. What would you do if you are Pepsi?
What a Joke

Reactions: JC

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Didn't see any of it so if I am off a little forgive me.
Great win Max, well deserved.

Joke Time.
If I am playing to 100 points and I am down 99 to minus 32.... I am praying he misses to give me a shot to run out or opportunity to make a move to have a shot to run out.
To concede a match unless it's for health reasons or your uncle harry just died is somewhat acceptable.

If you throw in the towel because you are frustrated ,,want to watch Alex dance around or whatever.....Rules should state...you forfeit your potential winnings and the money moves up in place. In this case it would be Max takes the prize for 1st and 2nd.. and Orcullo can go clean his shaft. Next year you cannot enter in that event.
This is not little league pool. This is what the workers in the industry are trying to sell to large sponsors. What would you do if you are Pepsi?
What a Joke

First of all, I'd like to congratulate Max for being the great champion that he is. I just phoned him and he was gracious and modest, as always.

Now, onto Dennis' actions, which were very unprofessional. I agree with SmoothStroke: Dennis should forfeit his second place prize money and his second place finish should be stricken from the books. It is unsportsmanlike to concede in 14.1 when your opponent has not yet run out. I don't care what the score is or who is playing on the next table. If I had been the referee, which I have been in several 14.1 World Tournaments, the recorded score of that match should be: "Eberle-100, Orcullo-forfeit."