Mike Dechaine. America's Second Best Player

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He's one of the best players in Maine, but that's as far as it goes. What has he won besides local tournaments?
He has to hope that good players don't enter. He can't play top pros like Dennis Hatch or Earl. But ask Mike how good he is and he'll tell you, as long as you remain his nut-hugger.

Mike beat Dennis fairly easily in their TAR match. Oh yeah, and he crushed Earl a couple of nights ago by 21-11. It takes players better than these to challenge Mike.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I guess if you beat the 2nd best player 2 sets in a row, you're the best player??!! Look out Shane!...lololol

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike just got double dipped by Joey Dupuis in the Joss finals.
Congrats to Joey. Great guy, great player.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me or does Dechaine come off as a little smart-ass? Could be wrong but he would stand at the second diamond watching me rack for about one minute before he's told to sit.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well played Joey. I had the pleasure of meeting Joey at the Derby this year. He played nicely in the DCC 9-ball event and came second in the American Rotation event at the DCC. Joey is one hell of a player.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Joey's game was just a little stronger then Mike's today. It looked to me that it was a grueling three days, you could see the exhaustion on the players.
Thanks to Mike Z, Snookers and upstateAL for all their hard work on this weekend.:cool:

budonahog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, but since Joey won this joss event, does that mean he can't play in the SBE Amateur event?

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
This isn't advanced trigonometry or some shit like that, it is actually fairly simple. Mike is one of the 3 or 4 best 9 ball players (on standard equipment, in a tournament setting) playing in the US right now. To argue that is pretty pointless, his results are backing this up.

Now where the argument gets a little murky is when you start talking about who is the overall better player (rotation only). Mike has basically perfected the 9 ball rack/break and he shoots straight as an arrow. On standard equipment that is huge advantage. On tighter equipment other aspects of the game become more important such as kicking, safety play and most importantly.....patience.

I made this longwinded reply to simply say that in a race to 9/11 at Derby or the Open Mike is a force and is one of the best. The flipside to that is that if he plays on a snug table without brand new cloth his vulnerabilities will show up. Playing well in short races/new cloth/ polished balls/manipulating the rack is great but it does not demonstrate him to be a superior player overall. Mike has dedicated himself to becoming great at that game much like Donny Mills did.

Comparing Mike to JA is undestandable, they are both one trick ponies (rotation players). Johnny A is a superior player to MD, he demonstrated why I say that against SVB. On tough equipment that will force decisions and reward superior execution, JA would handle Mike rather handily I believe. I also think that if neither were allowed to touch or inspect the rack they could play on any table between here and Mars and I would bet on JA.

Very long story very short.... JA is a better player than Mike IMO.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't advanced trigonometry or some shit like that, it is actually fairly simple. Mike is one of the 3 or 4 best 9 ball players (on standard equipment, in a tournament setting) playing in the US right now. To argue that is pretty pointless, his results are backing this up.

Now where the argument gets a little murky is when you start talking about who is the overall better player (rotation only). Mike has basically perfected the 9 ball rack/break and he shoots straight as an arrow. On standard equipment that is huge advantage. On tighter equipment other aspects of the game become more important such as kicking, safety play and most importantly.....patience.

I made this longwinded reply to simply say that in a race to 9/11 at Derby or the Open Mike is a force and is one of the best. The flipside to that is that if he plays on a snug table without brand new cloth his vulnerabilities will show up. Playing well in short races/new cloth/ polished balls/manipulating the rack is great but it does not demonstrate him to be a superior player overall. Mike has dedicated himself to becoming great at that game much like Donny Mills did.

Comparing Mike to JA is undestandable, they are both one trick ponies (rotation players). Johnny A is a superior player to MD, he demonstrated why I say that against SVB. On tough equipment that will force decisions and reward superior execution, JA would handle Mike rather handily I believe. I also think that if neither were allowed to touch or inspect the rack they could play on any table between here and Mars and I would bet on JA.

3/2/14

ktown's longest post to date!! lol:grin-square:

but I agree!

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member

I can't say that I agree entirely with this post, but it's pretty good. When JA played Shane, that wasn't a very good Shane. He was FAAAAAAAR from his top gear, if even in gear at all. JA caught SVB on the right weekend and took him off. If that match happens a week earlier, or 2-3 weeks later, it's not even close.

All that being said, I think if Mike D. doesn't let it get in his head that he's playing JA, I think it's a tight set. I think JA still pulls it down, but not handily. I think JA is a little better than MD right now. JA in his prime would DESTROY MD, but right now, maybe a ball or two better at most. (I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I seriously doubt that will happen.)

Either way at the moment, I think I'd throw MD in the top 3-5 American tournament players, and overall skill. If he learns to check his ego, and play nice with others, he's a shoe in for Mosconi.

All the best,

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
You guys argue as Christians vs. Atheists would.

In the end, it's a race to 5. Anyone can win. By tournament finishes, Mike is probably not the 2nd best player, but definitely in the top 5. There's no arguing that. Bergman is not the 4th best player in the U.S. Though he is progressively getting a lot better, and that's the truth.

Talk with facts, people. Please.

poolpimp13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't say that I agree entirely with this post, but it's pretty good. When JA played Shane, that wasn't a very good Shane. He was FAAAAAAAR from his top gear, if even in gear at all. JA caught SVB on the right weekend and took him off. If that match happens a week earlier, or 2-3 weeks later, it's not even close.

All that being said, I think if Mike D. doesn't let it get in his head that he's playing JA, I think it's a tight set. I think JA still pulls it down, but not handily. I think JA is a little better than MD right now. JA in his prime would DESTROY MD, but right now, maybe a ball or two better at most. (I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I seriously doubt that will happen.)

Either way at the moment, I think I'd throw MD in the top 3-5 American tournament players, and overall skill. If he learns to check his ego, and play nice with others, he's a shoe in for Mosconi.

All the best,
right you watch shane an appleton play on that table.niether one could make balls they loosed the pockets on that table for shane.johnny could beat shane again on that table if they tighten the pockets back.

ECPT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what about jeremy sossei? wasnt he rated #2 or 3 for american pool players last year?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
You guys argue as Christians vs. Atheists would.

In the end, it's a race to 5. Anyone can win. By tournament finishes, Mike is probably not the 2nd best player, but definitely in the top 5. There's no arguing that. Bergman is not the 4th best player in the U.S. Though he is progressively getting a lot better, and that's the truth.

Talk with facts, people. Please.

I totally agree with the sentiment, talk with facts!
Hard statistics tell the story.

So, going back to the very first post:
attachment.php

By big tournament finishes, Mike is pretty clearly the 2nd best player.

By money, we have 5 players finishing ahead of Mike - Shane, a four hall-of-famers.
Subtract the $10,000 those players got just for showing up to the Mosconi Cup,
and two of those HoF players (Earl and Johnny) finish below Mike.

That's in 2013. In 2012, only Johnny and Shane finished ahead of MD.

Speaking of money...
A lot of people keep mentioning Bergman. I think it's a flavor-of-the-week thing.
I don't understand why anyone would mention him ahead of Hall.
Are people getting them confused lol?

Yes, he won a DCC 1-pocket and that's extremely strong.
But what else has he done in the past 5 years?
He had a magical year in 2008. But the stats seem to show that was kind of a fluke.
Which one of these 2 looks more tournament-seasoned and consistent?

pR3WKD9.jpg