Mistake,could have killed me last night

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
This is the exact reason why I carry, and am cautious when in unfamiliar territory.

Glad to hear you're OK Geno!

flash5153

none
Silver Member
You dodged a bullet for sure. He had bad intentions I'm sure.

I was at a party when I was about 17. A couple older kids, 21ish, asked me to take them on a beer run. Said they would give me gas money and beer. Sure, I say. Guy needs to run by his appt real quick for cash. Sure, I say. He comes out with an army duffle bag. I was curious but didn't ask...I was more worried about getting my beer.

A cop pulled behind us. No big deal, it happens. Wrong, the guy in the back seat pulls an AK out of the bag and starts loading a clip. He hands the dude in the front a pistol. I know what you are thinking and so was I...I'm not getting any beer from these guys. These guys were ready to have a shoot out. I was scared sh*tless. The cop turned off shortly after that and they put the guns away.

They had me drop them off at some house. The one guy gave me a really cool stag handled switch blade and said thanks. That sure was nice of him because I wasn't aksing for nothing. I just wanted the hell out of there.

WHAT???? I say What??? LMAO WOW!! I just want to tell you,,,this is not a normal thing to happen, to anyone!! whew!

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
Consider yourself lucky and NEVER do something that stupid again. I'll give you the shirt off my back but if I get a negative gut feeling, forget it. Nor would I volunteer a ride to someone I don't know or nobody else knows. You could have very easily asked around before you made your decision to take him anywhere...but you know this already. Just glad it didn't turn out bad.

^^ This ^^

Green for the brutal honesty...

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a guy named Kevin. He got me stuck a few games and when I came back and got even he quit.

...and then he asks me if I could spare some money so he can get some gas.

Were you gambling with a guy who needed gas money?

I used to hitchhike in the late 60’s / early 70’s. Back then, even in Dayton and Cincinnati, it was just as dangerous for the hitchhiker as it was for the driver. In the wake of Kent State and the university closings in Ohio, it became almost impossible to get a ride. To get past the problem of my age and appearance, I made up a cardboard sign that said “UNARMED COLLEGE STUDENT TO CINCINNATI” on one side and “UNARMED COLLEGE STUDENT TO DAYTON” on the other. After that, I only had to deal with the drivers who were looking for something more than to help out someone who needed a ride.

Glad everything turned out OK for you. I am sure you won’t make that mistake again.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at a poolhall called Spectators in southern Louisville. I was playing a guy named Kevin. He plays pretty sporty. He got me stuck a few games and when I came back and got even he quit.

There was this young black guy that came into the poolhall and he told Kevin that his car broke down by the Pizza Hut and asked him if he could give him a ride. I'm assuming that Kevin knows this guy.

Kevin tells him no. He had gotten a ride there by someone else.

Thinking that this is a friend of Kevins I offer to give him a ride. He said his car is stalled right down by the Pizza Hut. It's about 3/4 of a mile down the rode.

Being kind of street smart I ask the guy a few questions after he got in the car. I asked him if he plays pool and he said No. This guy also goes about 240-250 and I go about 195. He's about 26-28 years old so I really don't like my odds in a fight. I'm 59. Pretty good shape but 59.

I already got a red flag up because he's not even a regular customer there.
I'm sure nobody there knew him.

As we're driving down to the Pizza Hut I'm trying to sum up the situation as far as what I'll do if this happens or that happens.

Right now we're on a pretty busy street. It's 2:00 AM. Hardly no cars at all. As we get down to the Pizza hut he says you need to take a left ,Old Time. Yes he called me Old Time.

On the way down to Pizza Hut he said he might just be out of gas. I told him let's just get some gas and bring it down. He declined.

I don't see a car and I ask him very boldly, Where is your car. He says down by the light.

So I drive down to the next street light and he repeats down by the light.

I go to the next street light and he points to the traffic light about 2 more blocks down. The traffic light he said.

It's like he is making this up as we go.

This whole situation just stinks.

Now we're at the light and he says to turn to the left and then he asks me if I could spare some money so he can get some gas.

Another lie.

I looked down the road and it led to a very residential area. If something happened down there no one would even know it.

There was a car on the right side of the road. I told him, this must be your car. He reluctantly said yes. Another lie.

I pulled over and pulled out 3 bucks I had in my left pocket and told him this is as far as I go.

There was a little pause. He was thinking about his next move.

In the drivers seat your kind of vulnerable because the passenger can just come accross with a great big right hand. I have my hand on the door handle. If I see that right hand come accross i'm out the door. I like my chances out there better.
Finally he opens the door and doesn't say a word and got out.

I think he knew it would be a battle. This old Time would have put up a pretty good fight. Not fun though for sure and probably would have been a losing situation if he had a knife or a gun.

But I assume if he had either of them he would have done more than get right out.

After he got out I thought to myself how stupid I was to assume that he was a regular there and that he knew Kevin.

As we were driving down the road thoughts about another AZer named Mike Surber popped into my head. He got murdered awhile back and they still havn't caught the killer. I thought to myself, this is how that could have all started also with just a ride.

I need to be more careful from now on and so do all the other AZers out there that read this.

I really feel lucky because i know for a fact that this guy was up to no good.

I think the only thing that saved me from trouble was it might have just seemed like a little more trouble than he wanted to deal with.

Today I am a lucky man for sure.

One man a van and the road...........

If your there, and you're prepared, a Hammer fist or back fist will beat that right cross easily.

But I'm glad you used some smarts and lucked out my friend.

Never give rides to strangers, unless your in the back seat right behind them...

Pete

WhatRobEats

Not as good as he thinks
Silver Member
I have a really hard time being kind to anyone I don't know anymore because of stories like this. When I was 20 I was a pizza delivery guy in a pretty rough neighborhood. I got what we called in the business a 'ghost call' someone would order something to a house that either wasn't expecting an order or an abandoned house.

I got one of these calls but the house looked lived in because there was a light on and in decent shape I approached the door rang the bell and waited about 3 minutes nobody answered so I turned and walked back to my car. As soon as I got in the drivers seat a small revolver was put to the side of my head by a young teen and he demanded all of my money. I could see the fear in this kids eyes. He was maybe 14. Remember I was 20 young and dumb. I told him "F*** you I ain't giving you shit."

My car was already started at this point, I usually left it running, another dumb move I know. But this time it saved me. After telling him to F*** off he lifted the gun from my temple and smashed me across the face with it. I took that opportunity to throw the car in drive lay down in the passenger seat and practice my look ma no eyes driving technique. The kid shot 4 times at my car. One or two shattering my back glass, one lodging in between the area where the drivers door jam is and one busting out my back drivers side window.

I worked that same job for another year or so. Again young and dumb. But hey there's my story.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gene, perhaps the Good Lord was watching over you. I'm thankful it turned out okay for you. You've been on the road way too long to do something like that but we all make occasional bad calls in judgment. Stay safe buddy.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'm glad your story had a happy ending, Geno. Sadly, mine didn't.
I picked up a woman, one dark and stormy night, one thing led to another and we got married. Oh, the horror. :smile:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geno, Geno, Geno

Glad it turned out ok.

Old Time-you got a roll when you needed it.

Jeez Geno-Good story-one you could do without.

take care buddy

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I was robbed at gunpoint about 15 years ago in Greensboro .
I was not hurt but more furious that I had been that naive.
Ever since then I carry a derringer in my pocket. It's not for show, as a matter of fact my closest friends for the most part don't even know its in my pocket. I wouldn't want to shoot anyone but I be damned if some non working POS will ever get my money again without me willingly giving it to them. A wise investment for someone who works on the road
Good luck and glad it worked out for you

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
GENO!!! Come on buddy, we've been around too long. I would have been asking all the questions BEFORE we got in my car! I would have given the guy a good interrogating first to see where he's at. I can smell a rat a mile away.

Two quick stories similar to yours. Im driving my '47 pick-up from Bakersfleld to L.A. with my five year old daughter sitting next to me. We stop for gas in Castaic and at the on ramp there's a guy with a back pack thumbing a ride. I stop and tell him I'm heading to Los Angeles. He gets in NEXT TO MY DAUGHTER. Pretty soon he's rambling on and on about someone chasing him and he needs to get away. Then he takes out a small screwdriver and starts cleaning his nails with it. I really don't like this anymore. My sweet little girl is right next to him. I pull over at the next rest area and tell him I need to take a piss. I have my .25 Browning in my pocket (I never traveled unarmed in those days).

I get out of the truck (with my keys of course) and walk quickly around to his side. I open the door and tell him to get out. He looks puzzled and surprised but he complies. I told him this is as far as he's going with me. Now I have him out of the truck, just me and him. I was young, strong, armed and ready. He looks in my eyes, shrugs his shoulders and walks away. Never again do I pick up a hitchhiker with my daughter in the car!

Second story. I fly to Phoenix to pick up a VW van I had just bought on eBay, maybe 10 years ago. I had taken the precaution of checking a Ruger .22 pistol in its case and taking it with me. Good thing as it turns out. I get the van and start driving home by way of Vegas. I stop and take a nap about 50 miles out of Vegas. I'm laying down in the back of the van with the doors locked and the gun under my pillow. After a couple of hours there is a knock on my window (there's curtains all around). I'm on the side of the highway, pulled way over. I pull the curtain and can see it's a young guy, also with a large pack. I grab my gun (he can't see it) and ask him what he wants.

He says he's stranded and needs a ride to Vegas. I told him to wait a minute. I get in the drivers seat and take a good look at him, now standing by the passenger door. We talk through the window and I decide to give him a ride. I unlock the door and he gets in the passenger seat. My gun is right along side me on the panel by my seat the whole time I'm driving. It's a great little gun, the small .22 western style revolver that Ruger makes. It holds six LR cartridges and I'm VERY accurate with it. I have shot it quite a bit and I can hit a bottle at 50'. He seems cool enough as we drive along, just a normal guy looking for a lift. WRONG!!!!

As we near Vegas I decide to stop for gas in Boulder and grab a snack. He now tells me he has no money. His voice and attitude change and I make note of that as I pull in. This guy WANTS money from me. Big red light! I tell him okay no problem. I stop quickly in the parking lot and jump out. I put the gun in the front pocket of my jeans as I get out (yes it's that small). He's still sitting in the van. I walk around to his side. Now he puts the window down and asks me if I want to buy a gun!!! Yes, you heard me right. I told him to let me see it, but very carefully. He says it's not loaded and reaches into his pack. I move slightly back, like where a cop would stand. He would have to open the door or look back at me through the window. I've got him covered although he doesn't know that.

He slowly extracts a gun from his pack. I can see it. He holds it up for me to see, his hand cradling it around the cylinders in a non threatening position. He is being very careful how he shows it to me. And that's a good thing. He hands it to me out the window. I take the gun from him. It's an old S&W .38 revolver with the hidden hammer guard. I check and it's unloaded. GOOD, he wasn't lying. I ask him how much he wants and he tells me $50. I give him the money and keep the gun. I tell him to go inside and I will put the gun away and come in. He has fifty bucks and goes on into the MacDonalds. I get in my van and take off.

I know now that this guy wasn't such a cool guy. In other circumstances he may have tried to rob me. My instincts saved me that time Geno! Trust your instincts next time buddy.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was robbed at gunpoint about 15 years ago in Greensboro .

1980 got robbed at gunpoint. I immediately complied and tried to stay cool.
Easy does it if you do get robbed. Go with it.

Last edited:

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another time in highschool, a buddy and me were walking home from a party. This car locks 'em up and screeches to a hault right next to us. The passenger's arm comes out the window with a semi automatic pistol and he pulled the slide back as to chamber a round. It was like a foot from my face. It happened at the blink of an eye. I was frozen in fear. He pulled the trigger and it just went click, no round. The car sped off with the occupants laughing. I wasn't laughing. I think I may have made brownies in my shorts. It wasn't cool. I thought I was tough back then, so it was a good lesson about how "tough" can go out the window in a hurry.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm angry at Kevin for not warning you and the others about this guy. It's a common scam. If that guy had come up to me or even if I overhead him talking to someone else I would have made sure the whole pool room knew about him in 10 seconds flat.

We have to look out for each other. Some people just can't be bothered.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always try to think of what the best way out of a bad situation would be.

In this situation what would it be? You're driving a complete stranger around, you are unarmed, and you are sensing you are in a bad spot. What do you do?

I'm thinking I might just stop the car in the middle of a busy intersection and jump out with the keys and say the right is over. Not sure what else you could do here.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
When I was 22, I moved back to Brooklyn for a few years. Go out one night with my cousin and some friends to a group of bars. We are leaving and there is this girl, acting frantic in the street. We stop and ask her what is wrong. She immediately jumps in the back seat and says, get me out of here. As we are leaving, a group of guys run up to the car my buddy, the driver, flashes this fake police badge he had (I know, dumb) and we drive away.

The girl lives over in Staten Island so we are taking her over the bridge to her house. She proceeds to tell us that she was at a club and saw a shooting, that is why she is so upset. We pull down her street and then one car comes up behind us, another pulls in front of us blocking us in. Group of guys get out and one reaches into the car, and turns off the ignition. One guy is yelling, which one of you has the fake poilce badge. Some how he knew it was a fake. The guy on the passenger side, has a gun in front of his pants. My cousin and I both see this.

Someone in the car says, just take the girl. The girl finally gets out and they let us go, we drive away. Went to the nearest diner and we all go into the bathroom. I literally piss for about 6 minutes. My cousin looks at me and says, I guess that is what they mean when they say 'Scaring the piss out of you'.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
When I was 22, I moved back to Brooklyn for a few years. Go out one night with my cousin and some friends to a group of bars. We are leaving and there is this girl, acting frantic in the street. We stop and ask her what is wrong. She immediately jumps in the back seat and says, get me out of here. As we are leaving, a group of guys run up to the car my buddy, the driver, flashes this fake police badge he had (I know, dumb) and we drive away.

The girl lives over in Staten Island so we are taking her over the bridge to her house. She proceeds to tell us that she was at a club and saw a shooting, that is why she is so upset. We pull down her street and then one car comes up behind us, another pulls in front of us blocking us in. Group of guys get out and one reaches into the car, and turns off the ignition. One guy is yelling, which one of you has the fake poilce badge. Some how he knew it was a fake. The guy on the passenger side, has a gun in front of his pants. My cousin and I both see this.

Someone in the car says, just take the girl. The girl finally gets out and they let us go, we drive away. Went to the nearest diner and we all go into the bathroom. I literally piss for about 6 minutes. My cousin looks at me and says, I guess that is what they mean when they say 'Scaring the piss out of you'.
Dog what happened to the chick???