Mosconi Cup, Team USA, the real problem still exists.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Kind of. When they are in the ring, they are representing exactly what the fans want and expect. The Fans want it, the Fighters give it to them. The Sponsors come.

Really, not many, with the exception of Tabloid readers care much for how Athletes act away from the game. It makes for a few good head lines on occasion.

I know Justin Beiber isn't an athlete but I'm in with the rest hoping that he will drive his
Lambo off a cliff at some point in his career.

The same as most of us don't care or give much thought of what Earl and the rest do on their days off.

What we have is a bunch of mini John McEnroes, (sp), acting out during what many consider one of the most prestigious Pool events, The Mosconi Cup. On the European side, I saw nothing but Gentlemen sitting there.

That is a part of it, soon to be corrected.

And if the plans are to catch the viewer audience with a Gong type of Reality show, that isn't going to do much for the over all impression.

Ya know, presenting Pool as a Reality Show has its merits, it could bring in a respectable amount of viewers to make it viable for a year or two.

But, is it fair to the game of Billiards to present Pool in that Light. I say NO.

As one of the wrestlers used to say during Canadian Stampede Wrestling. " No chancy missah Whelan".

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of. When they are in the ring, they are representing exactly what the fans want and expect. The Fans want it, the Fighters give it to them. The Sponsors come.

Really, not many, with the exception of Tabloid readers care much for how Athletes act away from the game. It makes for a few good head lines on occasion.

I know Justin Beiber isn't an athlete but I'm in with the rest hoping that he will drive his
Lambo off a cliff at some point in his career.

The same as most of us don't care or give much thought of what Earl and the rest do on their days off.

What we have is a bunch of mini John McEnroes, (sp), acting out during what many consider one of the most prestigious Pool events, The Mosconi Cup. On the European side, I saw nothing but Gentlemen sitting there.

That is a part of it, soon to be corrected.

And if the plans are to catch the viewer audience with a Gong type of Reality show, that isn't going to do much for the over all impression.

Ya know, presenting Pool as a Reality Show has its merits, it could bring in a respectable amount of viewers to make it viable for a year or two.

But, is it fair to the game of Billiards to present Pool in that Light. I say NO.

As one of the wrestlers used to say during Canadian Stampede Wrestling. " No chancy missah Whelan".

To be fair CJ said STRONG not gong.

Btw, golf has had a reality show for years now. There goes your theory that a reality show puts a sport in a bad light.

Plus almost everyone knows the story about how T.U.F. put the U.F.C. on the map and how it too has lasted well over 2 years. Again, there goes another one of your theories on reality shows. Apparently they can have a lasting effect.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's difficult for me to read all this and remain silent. First of all Thank God for Matchroom and the Mosconi Cup, along with the other first class Pool events they produce (the World Cup of Pool and the World Pool Masters to name two). It would be a huge loss to our sport if they ever gave up on Pool. Once again I thank God for the tireless energy and devotion to the game of the President and owner of Matchroom, Sir Barry Hearn. Our newest Hall of Famer has been a Godsend to the game!

To say that the Mosconi Cup is a "coin flip" that is contrived for television is to do a huge disservice to this COMPETITION! Typically over 150 games of 9-Ball are played over the course of the Cup each year. That, by anyone's standards, is not a small block of games. To say each match is intense is an understatement. All the pressure and the challenges that makes pool such a great game are on display during the four days (only three days in 2013) of competition. The cream always rises to the top here, with the best players coming forth with amazing shots and superb run-outs.

I have been witness to this great event for the last six years and truly look forward to it each year. For good reason it is a fitting highlight to the pool year. I will not sit idly by and let anyone degrade one of the best events we have in our sport. The Mosconi Cup is at it's heart a very intense and yet entertaining pool competition. It never fails to show us the best and the worst that can happen in the course of a pool match.

My sole complaint is that it rarely, if ever, airs on television in the states. A damn shame that the best pool of the year is lost to those here who would enjoy it the most. I'm glad that now it's possible to watch it live on the net at least. I'm looking forward to Blackpool come December. :thumbup:

P.S. The reason the Mosconi Cup (and other Matchroom events) do not air on television here is that the networks have been unable to sell the necessary advertising for these shows. A network has to buy a package of shows knowing they will get advertising revenue when they air. Without the Ads (sponsors) no show will get on TV. This is Basic Television Programming 101. :wink:

Last edited:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the concept of developing as a team makes little sense to me, it's more a collection of guys than a team per se as pool is not a team sport

and the invitational process is really hurting pool imo, so many complaints from pros recently stemming from this when its so easy to implement a qualifying system

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the concept of developing as a team makes little sense to me, it's more a collection of guys than a team per se as pool is not a team sport

and the invitational process is really hurting pool imo, so many complaints from pros recently stemming from this when its so easy to implement a qualifying system

The Euros have no problems with playing as a team.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Satori, to be even more fair, I called it a Gong show. CJ said Reality show. Well, isn't that what most Reality shows are.

Again, there goes another one of your theories on reality shows. Apparently they can have a lasting effect.

I didn't say that they couldn't have a lasting effect. I asked if that is how people want to see Pro Pool, in that particular light. Then I said, NO!

NO, meaning that I don't believe so.

Read Jay's post. I don't believe that it can be said better.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Satori, to be even more fair, I called it a Gong show. CJ said Reality show. Well, isn't that what most Reality shows are.

I didn't say that they couldn't have a lasting effect. I asked if that is how people want to see Pro Pool, in that particular light. Then I said, NO!

NO, meaning that I don't believe so.

Read Jay's post. I don't believe that it can be said better.

Jays post does not contradict any of my opinions. I too agree with Jay but I would add a complaint. I don't like this year's team selection. It is a great event though. One of the best in pool.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's difficult for me to read all this and remain silent. First of all Thank God for Matchroom and the Mosconi Cup, along with the other first class Pool events they produce (the World Cup of Pool and the World Pool Masters to name two). It would be a huge loss to our sport if they ever gave up on Pool. Once again I thank God for the tireless energy and devotion to the game of the President and owner of Matchroom, Sir Barry Hearn. Our newest Hall of Famer has been a Godsend to the game!

To say that the Mosconi Cup is a "coin flip" that is contrived for television is to do a huge disservice to this COMPETITION! Typically over 150 games of 9-Ball are played over the course of the Cup each year. That, by anyone's standards, is not a small block of games. To say each match is intense is an understatement. All the pressure and the challenges that makes pool such a great game are on display during the four days (only three days in 2013) of competition. The cream always rises to the top here, with the best players coming forth with amazing shots and superb run-outs.

I have been witness to this great event for the last six years and truly look forward to it each year. For good reason it is a fitting highlight to the pool year. I will not sit idly by and let anyone degrade one of the best events we have in our sport. The Mosconi Cup is at it's heart a very intense and yet entertaining pool competition. It never fails to show us the best and the worst that can happen in the course of a pool match.

My sole complaint is that it rarely, if ever, airs on television in the states. A damn shame that the best pool of the year is lost to those here who would enjoy it the most. I'm glad that now it's possible to watch it live on the net at least. I'm looking forward to Blackpool come December. :thumbup:

P.S. The reason the Mosconi Cup (and other Matchroom events) do not air on television here is that the networks have been unable to sell the necessary advertising for these shows. A network has to buy a package of shows knowing they will get advertising revenue when they air. Without the Ads (sponsors) no show will get on TV. This is Basic Television Programming 101. :wink:

Hi Jay
A rare blooper from you

it is Barry Hearn not SIR Barry. But we are working on it because he is just about the most high profile citizens of the UK upon whom this honor has not been bestowed

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Jays post does not contradict any of my opinions.

Ooooo, apparently mine did. Get used to it. This is AZ, not Romper Room.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or readjust your Karma for the day.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's right, the success in professional pool will be a result of the entertainment value.....it must be "A Show" to develop a mainstream following. The Mosconi Cup has a wider audence than any other show in history.

From our research the only way we can capture the potential market of pool again is through a viable TV Show personifying the game through the characters. The game it's self doesn't have enough momentum currently, what we need is a STRONG Reality Show.......and it appears to be right around the corner.

I'm involved with a show now that may very well pave the way for this to happen.....very, very soon. :thumbup: 'The Game is the Teacher'

What reality show has paved the way for any profession ,, it might help yourself and a handful of players but that's about it ,,
The problem lies much deeper ,, the game itself offers the viewers nothing better than what viewers are already watching ,,
The reason why the MC has a chance at some TV success is because viewers feel they have skin in the game they automatically have something to cheer for and it's a fierce competition , the best by far that pool has to offer
BB has tried to capture the same environment but have yet to do so

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Jay
A rare blooper from you

it is Barry Hearn not SIR Barry. But we are working on it because he is just about the most high profile citizens of the UK upon whom this honor has not been bestowed

Doug, this was not a blooper. I wrote it purposely out of the respect I have for this man and what he has done for pool. Just look at how pool has evolved in Europe since he created the Mosconi Cup and later took over the World 9-Ball Championship.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 30 second shot clock with an extension is just fine for pool. A 15 sec. shot clock is for bangers that don't take the game serious, or for those that don't know anything and just play on instinct. It's not a professional way to play. And, eliminating "specialty cues" does nothing but hurt the industry and cut out another potential sponsor. Also not a very smart move.

You want to promote pool, get into the real aspects of it. Show how difficult it really is, show how much it relates to real life. Such as how one deals with problem situations, how to keep ones cool in the face of adversity. How hard work and attention to detail can pay off. ect.

Making a "show" out of it is nothing but a disgrace to the sport. And will never ever have a chance of changing any non-playing persons mind about the sport. It will keep it at a bar level game for ever. The only thing it will accomplish is to maybe put some dollars in one persons pocket. Some of the ideas presented so far are as short-sighted as one can get. And do nothing but hurt pool in the long run. What a shame and disgrace.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 30 second shot clock with an extension is just fine for pool. A 15 sec. shot clock is for bangers that don't take the game serious, or for those that don't know anything and just play on instinct. It's not a professional way to play. And, eliminating "specialty cues" does nothing but hurt the industry and cut out another potential sponsor. Also not a very smart move.

I don't think 15 seconds is all that short a time, especially if you have an extension per rack at your disposal. 30 is fine, too, but equating taking 15 seconds over a shot to knowing nothing or just playing on instinct is an exaggeration.

jpparmentier

AZB Artist
Silver Member
Team AzB
The players are ask to be many times more dramatic than they usually are.....after all it's a TV Show, and "acting" is part of the entertainment.

This is NOT true.

Writing this in a public forum where so many readers take what's in it for granted creates so many misunderstandings...

I can't understand how you can actually write this when you know first-hand, as a player and a captain, that it is inaccurate. Your name gives some credits to your posts which makes it even worse.

You've made a lot of substantial efforts for our game in the past 20 years but ranting against the Mosconi isn't one of these for sure :angry:

I surprised anyone would not want a quality Pool TV Show in the air.....is this really such a "bad" thing? I would think it's a step in the right direction, although I'm not convinced that the Mosconi Cup would be warmly received on American TV Stations......and for some reason this is correct.

The reason why the Mosconi Cup has been struggling to be on TV in the USA has been talked about a few times on these forums. It is due to the music rights, and the fact that the USA networks have to edit the program to get entrance musics, (and swear words) out. This is not something that can be easily fixed, as the production is run by a UK company (Sky) that pays for the music already and can broadcast swear words if it's accidental and live. They each time apologize when it happens.

The Mosconi Cup is currently the biggest franchise of our sport and I'm happy to be part of the team working on it.

What I don't understand is why some people in our industry want to keep on criticizing it for the sole purpose of pleasing their ego.

I'm not involved in many high-profile ventures in our sport which I would like to attend to, such as the US Open 9-Ball, the World Championship or the China Open. That's not a reason for me to diminish their qualities. They've all been running long enough without me, and I would be honored to find a way to work at any of them.

Everybody in our industry should be 100% behind the Mosconi Cup just because it still exists, and it is the best chance that we have to getting bigger; It is the example everybody points to when presenting our sport to beginners.

Why would someone like you who is or has been a player, promoter, captain, coach and more would publicly diminish the event while offering absolutely no alternative is beyond me.

...BTW, if the "Game" is the teacher as opposed to this made-up show that the Mosconi Cup is, stop using your MC pic with the 1996 USA vest as your signing banner. People will think you can't play and you're just acting :wink:

Last edited:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doug, this was not a blooper. I wrote it purposely out of the respect I have for this man and what he has done for pool. Just look at how pool has evolved in Europe since he created the Mosconi Cup and later took over the World 9-Ball Championship.

Nice body swerve Jay. Hopefully in the very near future you can say that you predicted it. Hope that everything is AOK for you.
It was a bad day when Barry did not continue with the World Professional Pool Championship (that was the 1999 event) and another sad one when his version of the WPA World 9 Ball left Cardiff.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is not true.

writing this in a public forum where so many readers take what's in it for granted creates so many misunderstandings...

I can't understand how you can actually write this when you know first-hand, as a player and a captain, that it is inaccurate. Your name gives some credits to your posts which makes it even worse.

You've made a lot of substantial efforts for our game in the past 20 years but ranting against the mosconi isn't one of these for sure :angry:

The reason why the mosconi cup has been struggling to be on tv in the usa has been talked about a few times on these forums. It is due to the music rights, and the fact that the usa networks have to edit the program to get entrance musics, (and swear words) out. This is not something that can be easily fixed, as the production is run by a uk company (sky) that pays for the music already and can broadcast swear words if it's accidental and live. They each time apologize when it happens.

The mosconi cup is currently the biggest franchise of our sport and i'm happy to be part of the team working on it.

What i don't understand is why some people in our industry want to keep on criticizing it for the sole purpose of pleasing their ego.

I'm not involved in many high-profile ventures in our sport which i would like to attend to, such as the us open 9-ball, the world championship or the china open. That's not a reason for me to diminish their qualities. They've all been running long enough without me, and i would be honored to find a way to work at any of them.

Everybody in our industry should be 100% behind the mosconi cup just because it still exists, and it is the best chance that we have to getting bigger; it is the example everybody points to when presenting our sport to beginners.

Why would someone like you who is or has been a player, promoter, captain, coach and more would publicly diminish the event while offering absolutely no alternative is beyond me.

...btw, if the "game" is the teacher as opposed to this made-up show that the mosconi cup is, stop using your mc pic with the 1996 usa vest as your signing banner. People will think you can't play and you're just acting :wink:

Tap! Tap! Tap!