Mosconi Cup: This is what I saw....

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next thing you crybabies will ask is to stage the next MC in Shane's pool room and no safeties allowed. You're that hopeless. C'mon Asia, let's play some pool, finally!

Loll thats nasty but really funny haha

And may i ask what race will that be ?
Is it gonna be like a race to 1,999 ?
Hotels rates r gonna be expensive man

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big pockets (as compared to our shrinking pockets with deep shelves)

Short races (as compared to race to 11 or 50 or 100)

Alternate-breaks (as compared to winner-breaks)

Slower cloth for easier cue-ball control (like 20 years ago)

Less lively rails for easier banking and cue-ball control (like 20 years ago)

No Ten-Ball (call nothing!)

All of the above are against conventional wisdom here in the states.

- Helps both teams.
- Helps both teams, if you're good then 5 games is enough to battle it out. A lof the games were 4:4 even.
- Helps both teams to establish fairness overall and give a chance to both teams equally
- Helps both teams, to have a more controlled roll. I saw relatively fast cloth, even slow balls travelled quite far.
- Helps both teams, to have a more controlled response. Banks looked fine, good response over 3 rails.
- Helps both teams to allow for high risk - high reward shots. And: Mosconi has always been 9ball. Disqualified.

I'm now no longer sure that the US has any pool wisdom left ;-)

Cheers.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mistaken-

[]UOTE=Mezz'd up;5748988]Totally agree - especially Van boeing and Dechaine, they are like enemy's forced to play with each other, and don't even speak to each other.

Wrong they get along well

Morris won his singles but in team play - so many misses. :frown: Bring Archer back at least.

W[/B]hat I found annoying was - if any a USA player called as extension - or over ran his shape - he was heckled with cat calls and a bunch of idiot's doing WWF Rick Flair - whoooo's.
We're the idiots! That was "us" on the Team USA side! :eek:

Also, we were the ones saying "Rod-Ney" "Rod-Ney" which is a JEER NOT A CHEER!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOFn8dWc1_g

You'd a thunk a baseball player would bring that up to the less than 20 people on Team USA's side in the stands!

Usually the UK fans have more class but it seems times have changed there.
You are mistaken-
They "EU crowd" were tame, quiet and respectful compared to other years!!
[/QUOTE]

They do laugh, smile and get along well with each other

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Absolutely!

I saw several of America's best pool players trying hard to win. I know they had to be disappointed with results.
They are.

I thank every one of them for representing America and doing it like gentlemen and true sportsman.
As do I.

What a great group of pool shooting guys!
Love 'em to bits!!

Last edited:

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting whom you perceive to be crybabies. Tell you what, put the 1 on the spot, winner breaks let the chips fall where they may, you know, by the rules the game was always played by until EUROPEANS cried & changed the rules to suit your weaknesses. Look at where the crying started, then point fingers.

Eh, the one on the spot was to address soft breaking wasn't it?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Eh, the one on the spot was to address soft breaking wasn't it?
The nine on the spot was put in to keep the wing ball from being dead when the rack is tight. The "three point" rule was put in to avoid soft breaking.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO it's all cultural

there just isn't a serious pool culture in America

part of it comes from pool's history as a bachelor's game, and part of it comes from a lack of youth interest

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Hmm...

Is there any sort of pool the USA still excel at?

I could've sworn that the last 5 us opens had many of the best players in the world there...LOL how many of those 5 were won by americans again, I forget???

Jaden

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For me, in part, the Mosconi Cup is affirmation for what I do. The smaller pocket encourages more safe-play among the better players and Pros and causes more misses for the novice and recreational player. I do not see that either is desirable for our sport.

I have been told by some of my locals and by some top pros that I need to tighten up my equipment. I have steadfastly resisted.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there any sort of pool the USA still excel at?

How cute.

The rest of the world finally catches up to the level of U.S. players and now you get a big head over it?

I mean damn, its about time.
I guess 100 years of practice will do wonders for anyone.

Welcome to the elite level.
Don't blink.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me, in part, the Mosconi Cup is affirmation for what I do. The smaller pocket encourages more safe-play among the better players and Pros and causes more misses for the novice and recreational player. I do not see that either is desirable for our sport.

Although they might encourage a few amateurs here and there, I do not see shrinking tables and larger pockets as desirable for our sport, as they are the equivalent of miniature golf, a dumbed-down shadow of the real thing.

You don't train for the PGA masters on the windmill loop at funland.

And you won't get a participation trophy.

The message should be the same for amateurs and pros alike: No, we don't cater to lazy people. If you miss, it's not the table or pocket's fault, you simply need more practice.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
How cute.

The rest of the world finally catches up to AND PASSES the level of U.S. players and now you get a big head over it?

Don't blink.

Fixed it for ya

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
How cute.

The rest of the world finally catches up to the level of U.S. players and now you get a big head over it?

Don't blink.

This post is 1.5 decades late. So I'll keep in mind your "special" situation and I'll try not to make any spoilers as to what happens in the story.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Besides the spectacular pageantry and the fact that I truly enjoyed the show, this is what I saw:

Short races (as compared to race to 11 or 50 or 100)

Alternate-breaks (as compared to winner-breaks)

Slower cloth for easier cue-ball control (like 20 years ago)

Less lively rails for easier banking and cue-ball control (like 20 years ago)

No Ten-Ball (call nothing!)

All of the above are against conventional wisdom here in the states.

Since this was a show, not a WPA event, and it's design is the opposite of the WPA I'm not sure what your trying to tell us. If you could describe, what conventional wisdom has to do with pool players, it would be easier to understand the point your trying to make.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Since this was a show, not a WPA event, and it's design is the opposite of the WPA I'm not sure what your trying to tell us. If you could describe, what conventional wisdom has to do with pool players, it would be easier to understand the point your trying to make.

The word wisdom does not belong in any thought that involves pool players. Just sayin'.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you could describe, what conventional wisdom has to do with pool players, it would be easier to understand the point your trying to make.

Sorry, I thought it was clear. I do sympathize that some pool players wouldn't understand it.

The word wisdom does not belong in any thought that involves pool players. Just sayin'.

Good one, although I do know of many intelligent pool players.

Last edited:

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could've sworn that the last 5 us opens had many of the best players in the world there...LOL how many of those 5 were won by americans again, I forget???

Jaden

So the USA manages to win it's own internal tournament that only has a few foreign competitors in it and claims a moral victory?

And I would hardly call that dominating anyway. What you mean is ONE player (SVB) has been able to compete at the elite level - but only in this one event:

http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/history.php

What about at the elite level in the rest of the world?

Any version of cue sports...