Mosconi Cup USA Selection changed.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Well it looks like Matchroom have decided to go back to rankings for 3 of the 5 USA team members and then 2 Wildcard picks. It also seems like they are going to use their own point system and rankings. DCC 9-Ball will be the first one of the points events and the rest will be announced. I guess this gives the players a reason to go to tourneys that they would not usually attend. What you guys think?

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Does this mean our long national nightmare of tournaments without Shawn Putnam's participation has ended!? Thank God!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the only thing that really makes sense. If players need to be eliminated from contention based on their behavior or character then Matchroom should just come out and say so as should the Captain/Coach.

Does this mean that Mark Wilson is out as Captain?

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one think the change is great. Now anybody who wants to be a member of the time can't cry they were excluded; they can play their way in. We will see who wants to be on the team and we should have a much better team this way.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Well it looks like Matchroom have decided to go back to rankings for 3 of the 5 USA team members and then 2 Wildcard picks. It also seems like they are going to use their own point system and rankings. DCC 9-Ball will be the first one of the points events and the rest will be announced. I guess this gives the players a reason to go to tourneys that they would not usually attend. What you guys think?

They should have probably announced that before the derby started...

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
So this means that the 3 players that elected not to go to England as player coaches are not outcasted as originally thought they would be.

That is great news.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good change
This is more objective and there will be less whining, less shouting with using rankings to determine . Same like Team Europe
Also lessens pressure on Team Captain so he does not use arbitrariy subjective measures

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Let me see if I have this straight?

3 of the eventual 5 who will play for Team USA will be chosen based on what they accomplish during the year?

This sounds just crazy enough to work. :D

best,
brian kc

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
In don't know how you can really use the DCC as a qualifying Mosconi Cup event. It is an open event, designed to encourage amateur participation. How can an amateur event be used to determine pro outcomes?

What happens if I enter the DCC next year and snap it off? Am I on the team? God help us if that's the case.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
In all fairness, this was not a WPA/BCA announcement. It was a matchroom event. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't even run this past the BCA/WPA before announcing it. In reality, they don't have to. It is their event.

Another late announcement by the WPA (BCA)

Seems normal by now. Well done again. :thumbup:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member

i think you're getting ready to do an interview with Barry (Hearn), and are picking us for feedback -

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
In don't know how you can really use the DCC as a qualifying Mosconi Cup event. It is an open event, designed to encourage amateur participation. How can an amateur event be used to determine pro outcomes?

What happens if I enter the DCC next year and snap it off? Am I on the team? God help us if that's the case.

If you snap off DCC I'd say you're not an amateur any more...plus one win wouldn't necessarily do it for you unless you went DEEP in all other points events. If an "amateur" managed to earn enough points to get on the team, I'd say that's preferable to a lower performing pro. We need a win................

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't see the problem. If you're an amateur and you can place highly in enough events throughout the year against the best players in the US, then yes you should be on the Mosconi team.