Barry Szamboti
Arthur Cantando
Joel Hercek
Bill Schick
Andy Gilbert
Richard Black
Danny Janes
Dennis Dieckman

I have been blessed with kindness above and beyond at one time or another by each person on this list. I've been treated like a VIP customer, invited in as a guest, had my questions answered and without expectation, received generosity. They are all fine people and I am fortunate to have met them through cue collecting and pool playing.

Thanks for the thread Lenoxmjs

Last edited:

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
William Lee from Willeecues
Jack Kompton from Mystick Cues
Brent from BHQ
Royce from OB-1

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Szamboti ----

In the 60's, the cue I played with was usually a cue I had won during a match. Pete Glenn (father of the "Glenn family" fame and collection) said I needed to play with a "real" cue. He told me to call Gus Szamboti. I had never heard of him, didn't have a clue in hell about him. Well, I called him, talked to him for an hour about a cue. I was young and really didn't know much about cues ---- except how to use one:D :D :D He was very gracious & helpful and allowed this dumb kid to order a cue from him. He also allowed me to call him from time to time about the cue and he would talk to me about cues ---- I had a good time. Super Gentleman.:) And his son is just as kind --- I called him about a cue and he told me after checking his dad's notes "my Dad must have liked you" - I liked him, too.

Bluesteel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe...

I can't believe no one has mentioned these two yet. I was fortunate over thanksgiving and got to spend the afternoon in the shop with these guys.

Tim Scruggs and Mike Cochran

I have only talked with Tim while I was in his shop, but I have Mike on speed dial in my phone, and he has always had time to answer my questions.

Mark

Last edited:

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are a few I have really enjoyed getting to know (in no particular order)...

Travis Niklich
Dave Kikel
Eric Crisp
Ron Haley
Keith Josey
Andy Gilbert
Chris Nitti
Wayne Anderson

RoyL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim Scruggs.

Years ago when I was searching for some yellow micarta ferrules he gave me two free of charge. Being that I live in the South where pecans are plentiful, I told him that I would send him some fresh pecans as a show of gratititude. I probably need to send him some more, this year and next, seeing at how expensive those ferrules have become.

9BallPaul

Banned
Bill Stroud

Gotta give praise to Bill Stroud, who lived in Aspen in late 1966. I'd moved to Aspen to ski, but with a curiosity about pool.

Stroud played sporadically in those days, traveled at his leisure to enjoy the road, and helped out young guys like me when he felt like it. A couple years later, in the summer of '67 (Summer of Love) I ended up in San Francisco. Haight-Ashbury had been my objective, but it quickly got boring. Once I found the Tenderloin, and the great pool halls called Cochran's and The Palace, I was home. Sort of home, because I did lots of sleeping in Union Square. Both pool rooms gave you the boot for snoring off.

Anyway, back to the point: Bill Stroud was playing in Cochran's one morning and he recognized me. He was cool enough not to show his disappointment at my predicament (broke, toothless and homeless) but sent me on little errands to buy him food, walk his dog (Josh -- a big sheepdog) and keep the parking meter legal.

He barely knew me, but looked out for me. Bill, I'm forever grateful.

Bill shot lights out in those days and later got into cuemaking. Been to a couple of DCC's, but never ran into him. Wish him best all the same.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I have bought cues from and talked to:

Mike Johnson (Jensen Cues)
Perry Weston
Theiry Layani
Ernie (Gina)

I have talked to concerning a used cue made by them:

Richard Chudy (RC3)
Mike Bender

And talked to about being put on their waiting list

Joel Hercek
Laurie Franklin (SW)

Have talked to the following:
Bob Owens (Shurtz Cue)
Andy Gilbert
Dennis Dieckman
Richard Black

They are all first class and very helpful.
I have never had a bad exprerience with any cuemaker.

brianna187

BRIANNA SINCE 1988
Silver Member
Dave Jacoby Mike Johnson Paul Mottey Mike Stacey Andy Gilbert Dan Janes Pat Diveny The Prathers Jim White Timm Scruggs Doug Patrick Dick Neihbors ANDY GILBERT LENORAD BLUDWORTH KEITH JOSEY DAN DISHSHAW SHAWN PUTNAM BILL GIBBS All Are Not Only Close Friends But Great Guys I Would Say There All Great Guys

Last edited:

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been fortunate to deal with quite a few cue makers and just about all have been a pleasure to deal with. Here are a few:

Gus Szamboti
Barry Szamboti
Dennis Searing
Bob Manzino
John Showman
Laurie Franklin - South West
Keith Josey
Judd Fuller
Bobby Hunter
Joel Hercek
Joe Pechauer
Fred Kohara

Generally speaking most cue makers are real good people and love what they do and they express themselves in a very positive manner. I think it is pretty cool that we as cue lovers can actually speak to and meet the makers of pool cues one on one and discuss and order our dream cues.

I would like to thank the above and others for all they have done for us as cue freaks and making our lives better by their talents and attitudes.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ [Brent Hartman]
Parrot Cue [ Todd Elkins and his Apprentice Raymond (Rayman) Walters]

Three of the nicest guy to deal with, no matter how business they might be.

And how could I forget Dieckman, for me on the top.

Irish634

Whatever
Silver Member
ioCross said:
our very own kevin varney seems like a really nice guy from his posts and his actions.

I'll agree with that.:D

billiardshot said:
BHQ [Brent Hartman]

And that too. Brent seems like a very nice guy.

In all honesty, there are many cue makers on here that if I had to judge solely by their posts, fit this category.

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joel Hercek, Ron Haley, Barry Szamboti, Dennis Searing, James White, John Showman, Murray Tucker, Mike Webb, Tim Scruggs, Bill Stroud, Bill Schick and Richard Black have all treated me with respect and interest. They have each been a pleasure to deal with.

WuClan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Local Chicago makers

I'll ring in with positive experiences with Joe Gold, Tim Prince, Ray Schuler and of course Joel Hercek. Ed Young is a riot. I look forward to meeting Ariel Carmeli and Skip Weston at the SBE.

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Mike Stacey, Bobby Hunter, Leonard Bludworth, Richard Chudy, Bruce and Jeff at AE cues, Dave Kikel (generally,lol),Bella Serra, Bill Dominiak, Mike Lambros, Paul Dayton, Roland Becker, Paul at S&S, Keith Josey, David Jacoby, Nick Varner, Ken Kirchner, Troy Downey, Richard Black, Bill McDaniels, Joe Gold, Kevin @ Gold Rush, Bryan Mordt, Eric Niemera, Nubs Wagner.and you can't leave out Michi at Coker cues! the list goes on and on and on.....
But no matter who you're dealing with, even if it's in the middle of the day while they're busy as hell and you just have a quick question.... I always have found a little courtesy and respect are always appreciated and reciprocated.
I've called alot of guys over the years while I was designing another cue and deciding who I wanted to have make it, and for the most part, everyone wanted to jump right on it just for the challenge.

A couple of guys actually told me to go to a couple of other specific makers to have them do it, as it's more they're style.
I appreciated that enough that I ordered four cues before I got off of the phone.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are so many super nice cuemakers out there that it is hard to even know where to start. But here are just a few: Josey, Gilbert, Nat Green, Cameron, Kevin Wright, Dieckman, Both Bluds, Scruggs, the Prathers, Tad, Schick, Horn and so many more that I have had the pleasure of knowing I could not begin to name them all.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think probably the one person we would all agree on is Joe Blackburn. Oh wait he a Cue Repairman. But haven't he made a few cue?