On The Road Again with Perfect Aim....

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good news/Bad news.............

Got the results from the MRI on my left knee and I have to get the muniscus repaired. I smashed it about 3 years ago in Alabama ad it's felt like the knee cap is going to pop off ever since. I have to be careful how i step also or it will catch and almost send me to the ground.

Had a MRI 3 years ago but the doc that did it said it was fine. Oh Well.

The right one I had the whole muniscus removed in little pieces about 20 years ago. They told me at the time that I would need a new knee in about 5 years or so. I got that for sure out of it.

The plan is to fix the left one first. After the rehab which will take about 2 months,, and there is no more chance of infection, I will be getting the right knee replaced.

I guess I didn't realize how bad it was until I showed the doc how little i could do with it except walk very carefully.

these knees are not going to keep up with the rest of my body. I have allot of more lessons to do and maybe a few more tournaments to win.

Now that I got this cyst out of my throat with this chronic infection gone for good that i've had for almost 30 years, healing up is going to be a snap. Life in general is just so much better.

I really don't have a leg to stand on right now but I am still going to play in the Beloit tournys starting on the 22nd of August at the Carom Room. . I got a couple of knee braces and playing pretty good.

Whoever i play had better look out.

Surgery is on the 27th of August.

The good news is this will give me some down time from playing to get some good info onto some videos for downloads. I've needed to do this for a long time. This down time healing will be the Perfect time.

I might even be doing a bunch of phone lessons again.

Got to go. Getting ready for a tough tournament.

It don't get any better than this.

Last edited:

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck Gene

Today's my 69 th birthday and have many of the same problems as you, this getting old ain't for sissies! Good luck with your surgery !

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beloit might be out.......

I'm in the $400 10 ball and the $100 $7,000 added 10 ball.

i tried to practice tonight and couldn't step on my right leg after awhile.

The left one I'm having surgery on the 27th. the right they have to replace the knee.

I almost don't have a leg to stand on?

See how it is in the morning. If I can walk I'm going. I'll just have to park the motorhome in the parking lot and rest as much as I can.

I really would hate not to go.

Oh Well...........

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I'm in the $400 10 ball and the $100 $7,000 added 10 ball.

i tried to practice tonight and couldn't step on my right leg after awhile.

The left one I'm having surgery on the 27th. the right they have to replace the knee.

I almost don't have a leg to stand on?

See how it is in the morning. If I can walk I'm going. I'll just have to park the motorhome in the parking lot and rest as much as I can.

I really would hate not to go.

Oh Well...........

Good luck with the tournament and with your health

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't go to Beloit........

Just taking a shower was pretty painful.

Can't think of getting things ready to head down. the 4 hour drive and trying to sleep to get ready for tomorrow.

This is the end of the road for me as far as competing in anything substantial until i get these knees fixed.

Not going to this thing is more painful than the knees but I just can't.

I will live to fight another day and once i get these knees fixed I can actually practice a little instead of just going there and trying to kind of get in stroke along the way.

Anyone that has bad knees knows that this didn't just happen. they've been bad for a long time. Should have had the right one replaced about 10 years ago.
But i got by because the left one was pretty good until i fell and smashed it in Alabama about 3 years ago. After that i just kind of took turns limping on this one or that one. They each took turns being my good one for the day. Kind of funny but I'm pretty good limping each way a little. Just enough to keep most of the weight off it.

Now i'll just wait until the 27th and have the surgery on the left one to fix the muniscus.

Then on around the Oct. 27th get the new knee on the right.

Not looking forward to it but i am looking forward to the results afterwards.

I'm not done with this playing and i certainly not done teaching Perfect aim..........

Good Luck everyonwe in Beloit........

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Called the Carom Room to cancel.

This really sucks.

Now I have until about 5:00 to cancel. Dave or Carlos don't get there until then.

I'm still crazy enough to change my mind and give it a go anyway.

I'm gonna put the knee brace on and see if i can function with that.

3 hours until dooms day. At least that's what it feels like.

Those that love to play in these tournaments know what i'm talking about.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be getting closer

Sorry about your pain Geno. Last I calculated, I believe I was 2nd on the wait list. If you can't make it, that'll get me that much closer.

Don't know that I'll be able to present as well as you, but I'd still love the experience. I'll be there tomorrow. If I'm not in, I'll be there to root you on!

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks there Mr greg..........

Sorry about your pain Geno. Last I calculated, I believe I was 2nd on the wait list. If you can't make it, that'll get me that much closer.

Don't know that I'll be able to present as well as you, but I'd still love the experience. I'll be there tomorrow. If I'm not in, I'll be there to root you on!

I was in allot of pain. I shouldn't have went.

I played yesterday and won some money. Didn't miss a ball. The tourny got my in mental stroke but the knees soon let me down. Started missing some shots here and there. Just can't seem to keep my balance.

Surgery is tomorrow. The left knee has the muniscus busted in the back in the middle. It catches and almost made me fell about 10 times a week for about 4 years now. Thank goodness for affordable insurance and Obama Care I think they call it.

After that heals and there is no chance for infection the right knee gets replaced. there is no fix to it. In fact i need to be careful not to fall when using the right leg to get around. not much there. no muniscus at all and very sore all the time. I've limped around on this for about 17 years after they told me I'd need a new knee in about 5 years for sure. The surgeon was pretty impressed.

I'm going to be laid up for about 5 to 6 months with the 2 surgeries and healing.

I will be doing some phone lessons for sure and as soon as I can walk i have about 15 Perfect Aim lessons to get to.

Also trying to open a pool hall in Eau Claire. Just in the planning right now but got the building picked out. Next move is the city council and the funding. Looks like I will get some help there . The building has been sitting there looking like junk for 30 years. It would take a total renovation. Gutted right out.

We need this here. I would do it with my son, for my son. I meet with the city council in about a month. Need to get all the plans together and all the ducks in a row.

it would be great.

See ya all in a couple of days.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I was in allot of pain. I shouldn't have went.

I played yesterday and won some money. Didn't miss a ball. The tourny got my in mental stroke but the knees soon let me down. Started missing some shots here and there. Just can't seem to keep my balance.

Surgery is tomorrow. The left knee has the muniscus busted in the back in the middle. It catches and almost made me fell about 10 times a week for about 4 years now. Thank goodness for affordable insurance and Obama Care I think they call it.

After that heals and there is no chance for infection the right knee gets replaced. there is no fix to it. In fact i need to be careful not to fall when using the right leg to get around. not much there. no muniscus at all and very sore all the time. I've limped around on this for about 17 years after they told me I'd need a new knee in about 5 years for sure. The surgeon was pretty impressed.

I'm going to be laid up for about 5 to 6 months with the 2 surgeries and healing.

I will be doing some phone lessons for sure and as soon as I can walk i have about 15 Perfect Aim lessons to get to.

Also trying to open a pool hall in Eau Claire. Just in the planning right now but got the building picked out. Next move is the city council and the funding. Looks like I will get some help there . The building has been sitting there looking like junk for 30 years. It would take a total renovation. Gutted right out.

We need this here. I would do it with my son, for my son. I meet with the city council in about a month. Need to get all the plans together and all the ducks in a row.

it would be great.

See ya all in a couple of days.

Positive thoughts and wishes on your surgery Gene!

A pool room with your son? Wow! That would be a great partnership!

GL with the pool room.

JoeyA

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Good luck with the knee surgery. After you get off the knee machine keep that leg moving and bending to prevent clots. Don't let the Ortho Doctor talk you into getting both knees done at once the last minute.

Good luck with opening a poolroom...hopefully with bar. That's drinking country up there. I wouldn't worry much about going before the board. After your speech they will think it's a PERFECT idea and why didn't they think of it.

Remember if you plan on going back on the road and leave someone to run it for you, it's OK to have a little drip/leak in a sink or toilet, but the cash register needs to remain leak free. Johnnyt

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Johnny,

Good luck with the knee surgery. After you get off the knee machine keep that leg moving and bending to prevent clots. Don't let the Ortho Doctor talk you into getting both knees done at once the last minute.

Good luck with opening a poolroom...hopefully with bar. That's drinking country up there. I wouldn't worry much about going before the board. After your speech they will think it's a PERFECT idea and why didn't they think of it.

Remember if you plan on going back on the road and leave someone to run it for you, it's OK to have a little drip/leak in a sink or toilet, but the cash register needs to remain leak free. Johnnyt

It was a quick surgery. need to stay off it mostly for about 5 days. She said the less reckless I am the better results I will have.

I'll find out in a few days how much of the meniscus she had to cut out. Hope not much. you need that stuff. That's why the right knee is getting replaced in 2 months. Has none. Not good.

I will follow my treatment to a tee. I want to play. After getting the cyst removed from my thyroid and feeling so much better the rest of me needs to work right.

I love teaching but being able to play along with teaching is so much more fun.

I'll know in a few weeks how this knee will turn out.

Hoping for the best like Joey said. Thanks Joey.

I will be working out

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day after surgery went pretty well...........

Good luch Gene. Rehab is everything.

Not a lot of pain. That's a good thing.

Kind of funny but I'm used to looking at my ankles and they are kind of swelled up. My left one looks fine now. The one I had surgery on and the right is swollen. That will get the new knee in about 2 months.

I can feel some restriction when I try to bend it and some pain. I'm not a spring chicken anymore so I know I need to take this part slow.

I don't start rehab until I see the Dr in about 10 days. The leg is real weak. As soon as I bend it with ant weight on it I can feel there is not much there. it has been like that anyway for awhile now. While down on a pool shot for the last few years I would kind of teeter this way and that. From side to side because of weakness in both knees.

I'm pretty excited about getting the right one replaced. I've limped on this thing for about 18 years. Once this is done I can build up the legs to where they need to be to shoot pool. The foundation needs to be solid and most days mine was not at all.

Some days I would lean on the right leg more and others the left leg. It would make it really hard somedays to shoot. I never really figured out for sure which way was the best.

3 more days and I can put more weight on the leg.

Once I get the new knee in 2 months I can really work out the both of them. By then the left one will be ready to really do the job.

I'm pumped.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5 days since surgery.........

I went downstairs and hit a few balls only to realize that I have been standing on my right leg only when I shoot.

It's amazing how our body just adjusts when something hurts. this is why so many players out there can play with so many body parts screwed up. We just adapt.

I will be having fun adapting to being able to stand on both legs equally after this knee heals up and the new one is done.

I might be 61 but I don't feel my playing days are done.

Actually tomorrow will be 5 days since the surgery and I can put some weight on the left leg. Still tender but it's getting there.

I know many AZers have been through this. I went through it with the right knee back in 1996 only to fall and smash it 2 days after the surgery. 3 months later the doc took out the whole meniscus in little pieces. Got about 18 years out of the right one when they told me I'd get about 5.

Really looking forward to getting that new knee.

Hope everyone has had a great holiday weekend..............

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geno, you waited a long time to get this knee fixed. I think you'd do well to listen to your doctors and stay off it for awhile. I'm guessing if you screw it up and they have to redo it, it will be a more difficult surgery and the rehab will be longer. Patience. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you....

Geno, you waited a long time to get this knee fixed. I think you'd do well to listen to your doctors and stay off it for awhile. I'm guessing if you screw it up and they have to redo it, it will be a more difficult surgery and the rehab will be longer. Patience. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Great advice from someone I know, knows..

I have learned something though from this surgery on the left knee.

The right knee is really important for a right hander. It takes care of most of the weight. Either that or I've just gotten used to keeping the weight off the left leg.

I'm really excited to get this right one replaced now. This is where most of the foundation is for a right hander or at least it seems that way for me.

Watch me go once i'm done with this little repair job I'm going through.

I'm excited but your right, I need to take it one day at a time and on the side of caution.

Great advice and Thanks.