One Piece Slate Diamonds

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Does anyone have an opinion about buying a 9 foot diamond pro where the slate is in one piece? What are the pros and cons? I know it would be a bizatch to carry.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Hope you don't move often...or need it upstairs. If given a choice...get the 3pc slate. All Diamond tables play exceptional.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Be careful

mnorwood said:
Does anyone have an opinion about buying a 9 foot diamond pro where the slate is in one piece? What are the pros and cons? I know it would be a bizatch to carry.

I know that our Workman's Comp. insurance will not cover one piece slates. I would expect to pay quite a price to have it moved. If they are insured that is. Good luck.

nyjoe14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you don't have a walk out basement there could be problems getting it in place. I sell tables for a living and I really don't see and advantage to the solid slate, its more or less a perceived value thing. Some people say one piece is better because that’s the way it used to be done or something like no one else does it but we can or some sh*it like that. If a table is set up properly you won’t see a difference in one or three piece slate.

Harvywallbanger

Josh Eisert
Silver Member
I didn't know they were making one piece slates for 9 footers. Thats the way I would go no matter how much it sucks to carry one.

I have recently bought a one piece diamond. And i will tell you they are the way to go. It has 23 levelers and also 4 leg levelers. If you know anything about pool the goal for every pool table is to play like it is one solid piece. Also they are a bit harder to move but diamond will move it for you cheaply. The 3 piece slate will soon be extinct .

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I understand the situtation:

They are easier to set up and level

Because of the weight and size of the slate, you would be limiting the number of prospective purchasers if and when you or your heirs sell it.:D

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that the major advantage to the one piece slate was so they could be moved with a forklift in one piece hauled in a semi and setup and removed at tournament venues very quickly. Hardly a consideration for home use.

breakup said:
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that the major advantage to the one piece slate was so they could be moved with a forklift in one piece hauled in a semi and setup and removed at tournament venues very quickly. Hardly a consideration for home use.
YOUR wrong-----i am sure that is a huge benefit and probably a great way to move them ---- but ask anyone who has one or greg sullivan or the pros if they don't play better than a 3 piece. Think about it you never have one slate rolling different than another and never any bees wax coming up in between slates. Along with 22 or 23 levelers how can it not PLay better. I am not saying they are more convient for a tight basement but if you have the room you should go with the one piece

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
If you want, I can really break down the difference between a 3 piece slate vs a 1 piece slate.

Yes please, since I just put a deposit down on a one piece Pro/Am.

Russ

realkingcobra

Silver Member
nyjoe14.1 said:
if you don't have a walk out basement there could be problems getting it in place. I sell tables for a living and I really don't see and advantage to the solid slate, its more or less a perceived value thing. Some people say one piece is better because that’s the way it used to be done or something like no one else does it but we can or some sh*it like that. If a table is set up properly you won’t see a difference in one or three piece slate.
I wasn't really going to reply to this thread unless someone asked me to, but after reading your post, I really couldn't resist...LOL

First of all: "if you don't have a walk out basement there could be problems getting it in place"

Comment: Not all houses have basements, some have garages, some are simply just ground floor. Some only have a few steps up/down to get into the area as to where the tables going. With tight corners, lots of stairs, yes, that can pose a problem for a 1 piece slate, but that also depends on what size of table slate, and WHO'S installing it.

Next: "I sell tables for a living and I really don't see and advantage to the solid slate, its more or less a perceived value thing"

Comment: It's obvious that you've had requests/questions about a specific kind of pool table that you DON'T sell, so of course your answer would be to direct the sale to something that you DO have to sell, therefore you have to sell the customer on disbelieve of their request in order to sell what you have on hand, instead of saying "Hey, you know what, I know just what you're talking about, let me get a hold of Diamond and see if we can get you one of them pool tables, but, just to let you know, there's some specific requirements when you install a 1 piece slate in your house, and if you fit the bill, we'll still sell you the accessories from our store here"

Next: "Some people say one piece is better because that’s the way it used to be done or something like no one else does it but we can or some sh*it like that"

Comment: Over sized one piece slates have never been made in the past, so your comment is inaccurate confirming the fact that you don't know what in the hell you're talking about. Undersized slates have been made before...not over sized, and I wouldn't own a table with an undersized slate in it. And you ARE right, no one else does manufacture an over sized slate except Diamond, and if you had your sh*it together, you'd be on the phone to Brian at Diamond talking about how to stock them in your showroom for sale.

Next: "If a table is set up properly you won’t see a difference in one or three piece slate"

Comment: How can you even make a comment like that unless you've actually set up both types of slates? That's kind of an ignorant statement coming from someone that "Sells pool tables for a living" don't you think?

Glen

realkingcobra

Silver Member
quedup said:
Are the slates are all the same thickness between the one and three piece??
Dan
To answer your question, no. The Diamond 1 piece slate for 7,8, and 9fts is 1" thick, whereas their 9ft 3 piece slate is 30mm approximately 1 3/16" although most other 3 piece slates used on 8 or 9ft tables is 1", but not all, it depends on the manufacture.

Glen

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
Yes please, since I just put a deposit down on a one piece Pro/Am.

Russ
Russ, I don't have the time to comment to your question as of right now, I have to recover a couple of pool tables here at the Country Girl Saloon in California, then I'm off to Las Vegas to pick up a Diamond 9ft ProAm for delivery to Sacramento, CA. But later on tonight I'll give a complete break down as to the differences of a 3 piece slate vs a 1 piece slate after I get to Vegas.

nyjoe14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
I wasn't really going to reply to this thread unless someone asked me to, but after reading your post, I really couldn't resist...LOL

First of all: "if you don't have a walk out basement there could be problems getting it in place"

Comment: Not all houses have basements, some have garages, some are simply just ground floor. Some only have a few steps up/down to get into the area as to where the tables going. With tight corners, lots of stairs, yes, that can pose a problem for a 1 piece slate, but that also depends on what size of table slate, and WHO'S installing it.

Next: "I sell tables for a living and I really don't see and advantage to the solid slate, its more or less a perceived value thing"

Comment: It's obvious that you've had requests/questions about a specific kind of pool table that you DON'T sell, so of course your answer would be to direct the sale to something that you DO have to sell, therefore you have to sell the customer on disbelieve of their request in order to sell what you have on hand, instead of saying "Hey, you know what, I know just what you're talking about, let me get a hold of Diamond and see if we can get you one of them pool tables, but, just to let you know, there's some specific requirements when you install a 1 piece slate in your house, and if you fit the bill, we'll still sell you the accessories from our store here"

Next: "Some people say one piece is better because that’s the way it used to be done or something like no one else does it but we can or some sh*it like that"

Comment: Over sized one piece slates have never been made in the past, so your comment is inaccurate confirming the fact that you don't know what in the hell you're talking about. Undersized slates have been made before...not over sized, and I wouldn't own a table with an undersized slate in it. And you ARE right, no one else does manufacture an over sized slate except Diamond, and if you had your sh*it together, you'd be on the phone to Brian at Diamond talking about how to stock them in your showroom for sale.

Next: "If a table is set up properly you won’t see a difference in one or three piece slate"

Comment: How can you even make a comment like that unless you've actually set up both types of slates? That's kind of an ignorant statement coming from someone that "Sells pool tables for a living" don't you think?

Glen

well first off I can make a statement like that because I have played on both types of tables and it is true

second one piece slate was used around the turn of the century

third one piece slat is just not practical for in home use, and furthermore to the overwhelming majority of people who play pool in the world today wouldn’t want a diamond because the pockets play to tight for the recreational player

and yes I have my sh*it together pal, I’ll sell around 100-150 pool tables this year, and I am one of about 30 salesman. I really don’t think that many other retailers can make a legitimate claim like that.

Last edited:

thelanz

Stay down & follow thru!
Silver Member
Diamond One Piece Slate Tables

I recently bought a Diamond Pro-Am and the only issue with them for home use is the place/room they will be installed in. They are very compactly stored/shipped on a custom cart that is wheeled into the location for installation. The cart can pivot on a dime due to the large middle wheels.

The problem is stairs or any otherwise inaccessable location. Diamond's claim to fame is quick installation. The table is rolled into a room at the proper location. The legs are pulled out of the table body and attached. The table is tipped off the cart into place and then leveled. Bar box tables are stacked 3 or 4 high and moved by forklift into place.

This is why they can setup a commercial establishment or large tournament quickly (see Valley Forge, IPT, etc.)

I had the table installed in my basement and we had to negotiate the steps around the outside of my house with a ramp and into the basement it went. A staircase inside of a home would be much more difficult. The bottom line is this: the easier the route to the place you want it installed will dictate if this is the table for you.

Once in, this table is a pleasure to play on. You might need to relevel it after some period of time once the table settles into the carpet, etc.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play 2x a week on my friend's Diamond ProAm (9' one piece slate). It is a sensationally good table. His is in a finished garage, and he told me the Diamond duo had it fully set-up in an hour.

I can see some conditions where someone might have tight stairway access to a basement poolroom where a one piece slate might be difficult or impossible to install. If that is the case, then the Pro model with a 3-piece slate might be the better option.

With that said, a week ago I asked Scott Raybon, who is a damn good player and sets up and covers tables for a living, what table he would get. He unhesitatingly said, "A Diamond ProAm."

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play 2x a week on my friend's Diamond ProAm (9' one piece slate). It is a sensationally good table. His is in a finished garage, and he told me the Diamond delivery duo had it fully set-up in an hour.

I can see some conditions where someone might have tight stairway access to a basement poolroom where a one piece slate might be difficult or impossible to install. If that is the case, then the Pro model with a 3-piece slate might be the better option.

With that said, a week ago I asked Scott Raybon, who is a damn good player and sets up and covers all kinds of tables for a living, what table he would get. He unhesitatingly said, "A Diamond ProAm."