onepocket.org

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Listen, Onepocket.org is a great site, with a great caring moderator, Steve Booth, a man who is always pushing for the acknowledgement and furtherance of the game. Ya'll are invited. Aside from the usual Flame Wars that are present on all sites (I hate to admit it, but I am easily flamed, but I have put my two antagonists on Ignore so those doors are closed now), its a great site where a player can learn a little something. It is also the sponsor of one of the great pool events of the year, the One Pocket Hall of Fame Dinner.

I will do my best to put my arm around all newbies.

Beard

I agree, Fred. Yes, there is some drama, but I log into OnePocket.org almost as often as I log in here. I've learned a ton from the folks there (including everybody involved in the drama), and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Even in the drama threads, there are little packets of valuable wisdom that can be extracted, if we pay attention.

Thanks for the hug. :)

-Blake

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
onepocket.org is a GREAT site.
yes there are a few members who flame but that is mainly limited to the members only section
in the main forum lots of useful info can be learned and shared with minimal flaming
(its the only place im aware of) that has a section specifically devoted to bank pool
hooray for onepocket.org
:thumbup:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Sometimes they make fun of this site.
has anyone noticed the dumb shit the
childish post on there??

Yep, and it rolls both ways, but why is this a concern? It's mostly grandparents over there, and like most us all, they have opinions with a little more salt on em that's all. :grin-square: Plus MANY are Hard Core gamblers, and AZ is not even close to that demographic. Two diff worlds, old school and NOW. But ya can learn ALLOT more over there.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
A good life philosophy that we should all try to incorporate is to not be afraid to sift through ashes for the embers we seek.

Sometimes there's a bit more ash to sift through.

Occasionally there will even be ashholes, too. :eek:

best,
brian kc.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they don't have a funny pic/gif thread, I'm not going over there.

There is a good picture of a pretty good player posted up today.

It isn't funny....but it sure is a good picture.

Check out those eyes. Steely focus.

Thanks Ross, and certainly thanks to Frank for your contributions on this site and 'over there'.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
i like onepocket.org. I dont post much over there because im a one hole idiot. They have alot of serious discussion about pocket billiards most difficult game. As far as immaturity, every forum has that, but this place is hardly the place I would think people could throw stones from.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they have good content on OnePocket.org forum. I love the website itself as far as a pool archives. It is full of rich pool information. In some respects, it is truly a pool archives.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think they have good content on OnePocket.org forum. I love the website itself as far as a pool archives. It is full of rich pool information. In some respects, it is truly a pool archives.

yep.....................

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Was shocked to see it in normal speed, I actually was hoping for slo mo because it appears the OB jumps a bit. Confirm? It's a pretty wild shot.

I just now shot it in slow motion. It doesn't appear to be jumping, but I didn't have time to really examine it. I'll shoot it in even slower motion and post up the video after my league tonight.

-Blake

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi all -- and thanks for the kind words. I am the man behind OnePocket.org, and the One Pocket HOF dinner. It's a 100% non profit site that I created to help promote the game of One Pocket and engage people interested in One Pocket online, no matter where they live in the world. I am the one that conducted all the interviews with player legends, and wrote all the content (except for a few excellent historical pieces on One Pocket that have been generously shared by Mike Shamos and others -- thank you).

Honestly, I don't know how I did it in the first place, let alone have kept it going, given that my wife and I are both self employed with two small businesses that at the peak have provided about 10 people employment -- dropped to about six the last few years due to the ongoing recession. We are in the kitchen and remodeling business (in the "housing sector" that you often read about in the depressing economic pages, lol). So I don't do OnePocket.org full time in the slightest. If I am not too busy with work, these days I can sometimes check in during the day via Tapatalk on my phone, but that doesn't handle administration and moderation duties, so I am sometimes slow to catch over-the-top things that people have posted, or I might even miss them entirely if I get behind -- unless someone points something out to me.

Regarding moderation (or censorship, as it is often referred to by the 'victims') -- it is a tough thing to do, and a thankless task. I probably tend a little more toward letting stuff go than I do towards being overly heavy handed, probably because I live in the Live Free or Die state of NH, and have a bit of a Libertarian bend. If OnePocket.org was a commercial site I guess I would have to be a lot more attentive and tough with the moderation. Instead, one of the things I instituted is a Member's Cafe section of the forum, and indeed I do let a lot more go there. My most common moderation act is to move something heated from the main forum to the Member's area.

Another consideration that is a reality that I deal with is that often it is well-established and very committed (and generally positive) members that end up going toe-to-toe. And sometimes they are in fact true legends of the game (people are people, famous or not, lol), so that makes it even tougher to manage.

Regarding the opening poster's comments, it sounds like at least from his perspective, I am not heavy handed enough with the moderation. He might be right if things are so bad that it turns people away from the site and potentially the game. I promise to take a fresh look tonight.

As far as knocking AZ -- there are a ton of cross posters between AZ and 1P.org, and tons of respect, too. I am certain there are often many positive AZ comments and links that are also posted, besides anything like the opening poster mentioned. AZ is the best online source for pool news in general by far. I know both Jerry and Mike H myself and have utmost respect, as I believe they do for me. It is not a competitive relationship at all -- posters sometimes start on OnePocket.org and end up on AZ and certainly vice versa. I think we help each other -- at least that is my philosophy.

Anyway, I wish I had more time, money and computer skills to make the site better. I do what I can. My advice to anyone visiting the site would be to skip or ignore anything that bothers you, and if you don't find enough great information -- either about the game or about its players and history to warrant dodging the cross-fire, then maybe the site is not for you. And by all means, if you feel like you could add something, step in and contribute, in whatever manner you feel like.

PS This coming January at the Derby City Classic we will be having our 10th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner. Ten years!! To me that is unbelievable, considering when I first had the idea, I did not even expect a dinner at all -- I thought it would be simply a virtual Hall of Fame.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Steve Booth
Administrator, OnePocket.org

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all -- and thanks for the kind words. I am the man behind OnePocket.org, and the One Pocket HOF dinner. It's a 100% non profit site that I created to help promote the game of One Pocket and engage people interested in One Pocket online, no matter where they live in the world. I am the one that conducted all the interviews with player legends, and wrote all the content (except for a few excellent historical pieces on One Pocket that have been generously shared by Mike Shamos and others -- thank you).

Honestly, I don't know how I did it in the first place, let alone have kept it going, given that my wife and I are both self employed with two small businesses that at the peak have provided about 10 people employment -- dropped to about six the last few years due to the ongoing recession. We are in the kitchen and remodeling business (in the "housing sector" that you often read about in the depressing economic pages, lol). So I don't do OnePocket.org full time in the slightest. If I am not too busy with work, these days I can sometimes check in during the day via Tapatalk on my phone, but that doesn't handle administration and moderation duties, so I am sometimes slow to catch over-the-top things that people have posted, or I might even miss them entirely if I get behind -- unless someone points something out to me.

Regarding moderation (or censorship, as it is often referred to by the 'victims') -- it is a tough thing to do, and a thankless task. I probably tend a little more toward letting stuff go than I do towards being overly heavy handed, probably because I live in the Live Free or Die state of NH, and have a bit of a Libertarian bend. If OnePocket.org was a commercial site I guess I would have to be a lot more attentive and tough with the moderation. Instead, one of the things I instituted is a Member's Cafe section of the forum, and indeed I do let a lot more go there. My most common moderation act is to move something heated from the main forum to the Member's area.

Another consideration that is a reality that I deal with is that often it is well-established and very committed (and generally positive) members that end up going toe-to-toe. And sometimes they are in fact true legends of the game (people are people, famous or not, lol), so that makes it even tougher to manage.

Regarding the opening poster's comments, it sounds like at least from his perspective, I am not heavy handed enough with the moderation. He might be right if things are so bad that it turns people away from the site and potentially the game. I promise to take a fresh look tonight.

As far as knocking AZ -- there are a ton of cross posters between AZ and 1P.org, and tons of respect, too. I am certain there are often many positive AZ comments and links that are also posted, besides anything like the opening poster mentioned. AZ is the best online source for pool news in general by far. I know both Jerry and Mike H myself and have utmost respect, as I believe they do for me. It is not a competitive relationship at all -- posters sometimes start on OnePocket.org and end up on AZ and certainly vice versa. I think we help each other -- at least that is my philosophy.

Anyway, I wish I had more time, money and computer skills to make the site better. I do what I can. My advice to anyone visiting the site would be to skip or ignore anything that bothers you, and if you don't find enough great information -- either about the game or about its players and history to warrant dodging the cross-fire, then maybe the site is not for you. And by all means, if you feel like you could add something, step in and contribute, in whatever manner you feel like.

PS This coming January at the Derby City Classic we will be having our 10th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner. Ten years!! To me that is unbelievable, considering when I first had the idea, I did not even expect a dinner at all -- I thought it would be simply a virtual Hall of Fame.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Steve Booth
Administrator, OnePocket.org

Great post! Thanks, Steve, for everything. You're the bee's knees! :cool:

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No

not really I do go there often & enjoy a lot of the info.I have learned a lot and bought some books & dvds from the members there.I am mainly talking about the members forum.Overall it is a good place,I just can't understand why the put up with the FEW that keep the stuff in a turmoil.I didn't mean no harm...

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
not really I do go there often & enjoy a lot of the info.I have learned a lot and bought some books & dvds from the members there.I am mainly talking about the members forum.Overall it is a good place,I just can't understand why the put up with the FEW that keep the stuff in a turmoil.I didn't mean no harm...

oldroller;

I believe Steve gave great advice while at the same time promising that he will have a "fresh look" to see if some of his members need his attention.

In the meantime, that advice to "skip or ignore anything that bothers you" seems very reasonable.

And fwiw, I don't think you meant any harm.

best,
brian kc