Paul Fanelli's "The Devil's Cue"

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw this story on the front page of AZ Billliards. Was wondering if Devil Dave, Joe V., or anyone else had any more pics of this cue. I LOVED Paul's cues and had a great deal of respect for Paul as a person. A truly amazing guy and a legend of a cuemaker.

And this article is actually a really interesting story.
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=10456

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Mia...I tried to "rep" you for this...but I have to spread it around more...odd though...thought I'd been spreading my love around alot lately! :eek:

Anyway...reps to you...that was a phenomenal read that I wouldn't have found without you!

Thank You!!!

Reactions: mia

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mia...I tried to "rep" you for this...but I have to spread it around more...odd though...thought I'd been spreading my love around alot lately! :eek:

Anyway...reps to you...that was a phenomenal read that I wouldn't have found without you!

Thank You!!!

Just did a quick search and found one halfway decent pic of the upper part of the forearm. lol.

http://www.nycgrind.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Screen-shot-2012-08-22-at-12.41.32-PM-WM.jpg

Pretty amazing cue. Paul's cues were always mind blowing. I'm hoping Devil Dave of Joe Van Buren might be able to spot this and help out with some other pics.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw this story on the front page of AZ Billliards. Was wondering if Devil Dave, Joe V., or anyone else had any more pics of this cue. I LOVED Paul's cues and had a great deal of respect for Paul as a person. A truly amazing guy and a legend of a cuemaker.

And this article is actually a really interesting story.
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=10456

Great post and I agree it was a interesting story as well.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul's cues were astonishing and what a special cue and story. If Devil Dave asks you to build a cue, run!

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Sorry, its one cue Paul wanted to keep under wraps till it was completed.

JV

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Miss Paul Fanelli

Thanks for sharing. I loved having Paul around the area. The only one I trusted with my cues in the area. I remember going to his place and he would always share his new ideas and splicing techniques. He would light up when he perfected something. I was never a fan of butterfly cues, but over the years Paul changed me. The Fanelli style was so mind boggling that it left you twirling the cue to see where a point started, how it flowed to a butterfly, how it was perfectly aligned with the other points and so on. You could spend several hours dissecting his cue and still be left asking him "how the #$%! did you do that?"

Sorry for the rambling ~ I miss Paul.

I can just imagine George and Gus talking to Paul and saying "show off" haha

SS

classiccues

Silver Member
These are the last cues that he was working on in the shop. Paul was funny in that he would work on something full bore until another idea crossed his mind, then he went there and so on... He was wrapping up the no wrap full splices when he had an idea for some short splices...

I wish he would have finished them, they would have been sweet.

JV

Attachments

• full_fore.jpg
    full_fore.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,685
  • full_butt.jpg
    full_butt.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,933
  • new_fore_1.jpg
    new_fore_1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,236
  • end_1.jpg
    end_1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,896

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Coolest story ever!!

This is the coolest cue story i've ever come across...not to mention it involves some big names...i wonder who would even dare even retip those shafts. :eek:
Can't help but wonder though, how would the cue by George and Gus have turned out...we'll never know..

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Great story, wonderful cue, and made by one of the gentlest souls I ever met.

His butterfly cues are extraordinary, complex cues and Paul is sorely missed.

I have five of his butterfly cues, and like everything about them.

Will

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one finding the story difficult to believe?

Did George or Gus make any butterfly cues?

Scott <<== skeptic, but willing to learn

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
These are the last cues that he was working on in the shop. Paul was funny in that he would work on something full bore until another idea crossed his mind, then he went there and so on... He was wrapping up the no wrap full splices when he had an idea for some short splices...

JV

Love the end view where you can see the work that goes into this

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO Paul was the best butterfly cue maker, unless there is someone I dont know about(which is possible). Whats the gerneral consensus on this? was he the top guy in that type of cue?

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Its not even close and he was the very best. I mailed him a few times and sent pics and he was always very nice to me. I wish I could have met him at least once!

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO Paul was the best butterfly cue maker, unless there is someone I dont know about(which is possible). Whats the gerneral consensus on this? was he the top guy in that type of cue?

Paul was the best but... that's just my opinion. Dave Barenbrugge is also pretty amazing and deserves top billing.

Am I the only one finding the story difficult to believe?

Did George or Gus make any butterfly cues?

Scott <<== skeptic, but willing to learn

Damn you Scooter. Why did ya have to go and bring in the controversy? :grin:
To be honest, as soon as he said '360 tribute' and George Balabushka, I thought "that's odd". But I chose to look past some of the embellishments on the outside chance Devil Dave might be a member here and had some pics he'd like to share.

- B <--------- still thinks Paul deserves a nod and that cue needs to be seen

Last edited:

classiccues

Silver Member
Paul was the best but... that's just my opinion. Dave Barenbrugge is also pretty amazing and deserves top billing.

Damn you Scooter. Why did ya have to go and bring in the controversy? :grin:
To be honest, as soon as he said '360 tribute' and George Balabushka, I thought "that's odd". But I chose to look past some of the embellishments on the outside chance Devil Dave might be a member here and had some pics he'd like to share.

- B <--------- still thinks Paul deserves a nod and that cue needs to be seen

Guys get me all teary eyed with this cr*p.. :wink:

JV

Attachments

• paul_fanelli.jpg
    paul_fanelli.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,001
  • fan_3some.jpg
    fan_3some.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,197
  • group_2_all_hi.jpg
    group_2_all_hi.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,093
  • DSC02209.jpg
    DSC02209.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,201

classiccues

Silver Member
I believe this cue was Daves cue before the bells and whistles went on...

JV

Attachments

• DSC03137.jpg
    DSC03137.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,118

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JV

And to think, Paul was only scratching the surface of what he was really capable of. But nothing he ever made could even come close to the personality he possessed.

Reactions: mia