Played CJ Wiley last night...

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
For about 3 1/2 hours... I saw he was playing some of the locals 8 ball on the Diamond 9 footer at the Green Room in Temple, TX, and sat watching for a little while. These other fellows were mostly league players, and were getting trounced pretty bad.

I got in the rotation, and after a few games, the league guys got out. I was a bit shaky at first, and missed my opportunities to win a few games. I could tell CJ has nearly perfect CB control from everywhere, and it got him out in a lot of racks where he took very unconventional patterns. :D

I started playing a little better, and won a few games of 8 ball, but with CJ winning the majority. CJ asked if I wanted to play 9 ball, and I agreed. (Knowing I was jumping from the frying pan into the fire!)

He breaks, gets kicked in the side, and I run out. :D :D :D

I break, make a ball, and then push out on the 1. CJ attempts to play safe, the CB leaks out, giving me a shot. I run out. :D :D :D

I break, and make the 9 ball on the break. :D:D:D!!!

3-0 in favor of ShortBusRuss against a former 9 Ball World Champion. I am feeling somewhat guilty, as my runouts have been of the "nervous" type. Slightly overrunning/underrunning position.

I break in the 4th rack, making the 9 ball on the snap again!!!!!

Unfortunately, I got kicked in the corner and scratched. I spot up the 9, and CJ runs out.

CJ then procedes to win about 5 out of 7 (on average) of the rest of our games.

He then makes an observation about a certain part of my game (not fundamentals), and then tells me how he does it, and instructs me to change the way I hit a whole category of shots.

I get on the table and do what he says for about 30 minutes or so.

He immediately had me consistently pocketing cut shots that I generally feel nervous on. He told me something that he does, that he says the majority of the Filipinos do as well.

I can't really go into detail, because CJ is getting into seminars and instructing for pay, and I would not feel comfortable giving away what might be his biggest "secret".

I lent him about 8 current Accu-Stats 9 ball videos so he could get a feel for how the current superpros are playing different types of position on the Diamonds, as he does not have a lot of experience playing high caliber players on them. He gave me a copy of his consolidated "Ultimate Pool Secrets" DVD in return.

Just from the first 20 minutes I watched before I passed out last night, I can say that CJ Wiley knows stuff about pool that a LOT of instructors just don't have a clue about. No offense, guys.

CJ showed me something that in a matter of MINUTES, will increase my make percentage on cut shots by 20%-45%. That is just STRONG.

Even as far as fundamentals are concerned, I saw stuff in CJ's first video that I have not heard discussed in other places, especially referring the the bridge arm and how to go about placing it on the table. He makes references to archery, and how some of the archery concepts apply directly to pool.

I may work pro bono to get CJ's DVDs out to some of the billiard retailers, as I think it is solid info, and coming from a player who is a good instructor.

Freddy the Beard, if you don't already have CJ's stuff on your site, I'd like to talk to you about setting something up.

Russ

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What up russ? coming back to fl anytime soon? What does CJ Wiley charge for his cd?

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
What up russ? coming back to fl anytime soon? What does CJ Wiley charge for his cd?

I was actually back for 10 days around Christmas time. Doesn't look like I will be back for at least 6 months unless I can get my company to send me to training in the Tampa area..

Dunno how much he is charging, but if you guys will say you want a copy in this thread, I will get back with CJ when 4-5 people say they will buy. I am sure it is in the $25 range...

I watched some more last night, and the format is 5-8 minute "tip" sections, where he goes over a certain part of the game. Rail shots, draw shots, mental outlook tip positioning versus speed control, etc.

He is making some more videos as well.

Post in this thread if anyone is interested in possibly purchasing CJ's material.

Russ

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be interested in the video if the price was right. Knowledge is power so they say

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Actually I wanted to buy CJ's videos from Bob Henning's site (bebobpublishing.com), but it says there that all CJ's videos are currently out of print.Secondly I think they were video tape format and not DVD...
But yes I would be interested in his videos - if he has them on DVD format.And if he ships in Europe...

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uh-oh...Russ knows the secret now:D!!!! Watch out world!

Hope you're good Russ, I will see you next time I make it back to Hood.

S

skip

Please put me down for one, would you please pm me with pay-pal info when you get it together. Skip

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
I texted CJ a little while ago and asked him if he has a website setup for selling these videos. Not sure if he is text enabled or not. I'll update this thread when I hear back..

Russ

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in his DVDs or tapes (i can convert them). I've been trying to buy those instructional tapes for a long time.

JAW725

Southpaw
Silver Member
Actually I wanted to buy CJ's videos from Bob Henning's site (bebobpublishing.com), but it says there that all CJ's videos are currently out of print.Secondly I think they were video tape format and not DVD...
But yes I would be interested in his videos - if he has them on DVD format.And if he ships in Europe...

I do believe he had two old videos that are no longer available. I hope that these are new DVD's with new material and not just his old videos reformatted.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Russ,
I would be interested also.
I have 1 of his and found it very helpful.
Pm if you get more information.
Mark

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I texted CJ a little while ago and asked him if he has a website setup for selling these videos. Not sure if he is text enabled or not. I'll update this thread when I hear back..

Russ

Send him a Facebook message, he may get it quicker....

Joe T

CJ has great info, saw the tapes yrs ago, can't remember most of it but know I liked it so put me down for a set. I do remember I liked his method of aiming though, helps you get through the ball with less steering.