Pool on TV, claps for every shot?

Joe Rogan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching some pool on tv tonight, and after a while I just got annoyed by all the clapping for every single shot, especially for easy ones.
I think sinking the 9 to end a game deserves applause, but there's something really distracting and silly about someone shooting a hanger and getting a big round of applause from the tv audience. In my opinion, it just makes the whole thing look goofy. My girlfriend, who already makes fun of me for watching pool on tv was even joking about it.

Whoever is responsible for that aspect of the television production, if you read the az forums, I think I can speak for everyone when I say, PLEASE cut the shit :)

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
Joe they encourage everyone in the audience to do this because they think it adds to the excitement and that will transfer over to the people viewing it on TV. Right...

I posted a thread similar to this about 3 years ago. You might find some of the comments posted there interesting...

Link

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
On a similar note... I've been hearing it from more and more people... "Aze, you never say 'nice shot', why do you have to be so rude?". That's not rude! Rude would be laughing and cheering everytime an opponent MISSED a ball (which I admit I do, but that's a whole other subject)...
I'm sorry, but I'm not saying "Nice shot" to anyone unless it was something that really wowed me.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Instead of having the peanut gallery clap on every shot...spend some money and get some good anouncers that know the game and know how to put some pazazz in it. If you talk to any of the pros that have been on TV they'll tell you clapping on a hanger that you missed position for the next ball on drives the crazy. Or slopping a ball in. I turn the sound off on the women. Johnnyt

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On TV especially, the TV production folks will encourage the audience to get involved by clapping. I can remember many times being at the U.S. Open when Rob Sykora would ask the audience to give a round of applause. I guess it looks good on TV to see the audience engagement.

Also, I believe that sometimes audience members want to show support for their favorite player, and as such, they clap after every single shot, kind of like their way of rooting for the player.

I agree that it looks idiotic to clap for a duck shot. I think that the TV folks desire the venue site to appear as if the audience is totally engrossed in the pool games. Maybe they should think about using some of those pre-recorded audio clips of laughter, applause, and cheering, like they do for some TV sitcoms. :D

Interestingly, I have attended some tournaments where you could hear a pin drop during matches, and it's so quiet that you can't even crunch on an ice cube, for fear of disturbing some players' train of thought. I do not enjoy pool matches like this.

Come to the U.S. Open this October. It is the premier pool event of the year for aspiring pros as well as the seasoned veterans. They come from around the world to compete in the U.S. Open, and the comradery of the audience and players is very special. There's not a bad seat in the house either. Out of all the tournaments I have ever attended, as far as competition goes, I like this one the best. :)

JAM

eaglesfan44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt it is extremely annoying. I agree with you Joe why the hell do they have to clap after every easy little shot. If the player makes a fabulous shot or makes the nine, no problem, but after every shot even the ones a blind squirrel could make it's unecessary and just plain lame.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Joe Rogan said:
I was watching some pool on tv tonight, and after a while I just got annoyed by all the clapping for every single shot, especially for easy ones.
I think sinking the 9 to end a game deserves applause, but there's something really distracting and silly about someone shooting a hanger and getting a big round of applause from the tv audience. In my opinion, it just makes the whole thing look goofy. My girlfriend, who already makes fun of me for watching pool on tv was even joking about it.

Whoever is responsible for that aspect of the television production, if you read the az forums, I think I can speak for everyone when I say, PLEASE cut the shit :)

In addition to the TV folks encouraging it, I think, if it was WPBA that has something to do with it. I have noticed when attending Joss events which Karen Corr & Julie Kelly frequently play in, that whenever Karen or Julie play people are clapping all the time. Karen will make a most routine shot and everybody claps, meanwhile on the table next to her some local guy or even a pro makes a spectacular shot and everybody yawns and says "ho-hum". I fine that it is predominantly fellow woman leading the applauding, and I think that is just their nature. More woman at a WPBA event=more applause.
Just a unsupported theory I've had for a while.

And, yes, it is irritating as hell.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
Yea, I think clapping for easy shots is detrimental to pool. Makes it feel cheap and corny.

Those words express my thoughts and feeling. Cheap & corny & dumb & just not cool at all.

DO YOU HEAR US? NOT COOL!!

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
In that Texas Hold 'Em event that they had on ESPN, you could hear Johnny Archer say something like, "I love when they clap after a miss"

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
Hey Joe,
I just realised that was you. I'm a buddy of Rob's too, we were actually talking about you when we went out to Flannagan's a little while back... You're supposed to be right around my speed. If you're ever down in South Florida you've got some cheap 1P action ;)

P.S; Carlos Mencia is a fruitcup, and I've been saying that WAY before I heard you had beef with him, but THANK YOU for saying something! I'm so tired of everyone around here talking about how he is a genius, and they love his work.... :-\
P.P.S; Fear Factor is nice, the MMA stuff is good, the stand up is even funny... but for me, it was all about News Radio! Ha!

Last edited:

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
Joe I could'nt agree more.And by the way,still think News Radio is a classic.Its on every day up here.Love that show.Also,what a waste of comedic talent.......Phil Hartman.:( Good to see you posting.:)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joe Rogan said:

That's it Joe. I'm done clapping every time you make a ball. :)

It is a little goofy when the audience cheers/claps after a girl (or guy) makes a hanger. I have been there prematch and seen the "practice" they put the audience through, so that they will cheer constantly throughout the match. All part of a class C production, produced by people who don't have a clue anyway. And that's how I really feel.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
It is much

more prevalent in the USA and for the WPBA, than otherwise. Or the
'What a fantastic shot' when it is a shot any pro should make 9 out of 10 times. I love it when they say they should shoot a particular way with a certain type of english, and the player cues up with exactly the opposite type of english on the shot.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clapping

I feel the same way. I just don't need to hear clapping for everything. It probably really annoys the players. I think it's funny when the player is obviously going for a safe and they accidentally pocket the ball and the crowd goes wild. Mean while the player is now screwed cause the ball dropped and they have no shape.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Here is an idea.

Joe Rogan said:

If I remember correctly on a previous post you claim to be the actual Joe Rogan that has been on T.V. (Fear Factor if memory serves me correctly).
Anyhow if you are actually this guy why don't you use some of your T.V. experience and potential clout and call or contact the ESPN producers of the billaird events and let them know how silly this is. In addition you can tell them that all these members here at AZ support your thoughts about how silly it is for them to have the audience members clapping after each and every shot. Also let them know that I for one have become more interested in 3 cushion billiards after having just seen it being aired within the past week.
Thanks.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Agreed, clapping on easy shots, especially hangers, is annoying....also, don't like the sympathetic, I can't believe it didn't go in, noise the crowd makes when a pro tries a really tough shot and misses - this is when they should clap to applaud the effort IMHO....

It's like laughing at a bad joke, it just doesn't make sense :D