Ppl don't pay up, when do you let it go?

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a guy last week I played for a beer. I won and he didn't pay. Keep in mind he is a friend of my buddies. No big deal, so we play a game of partners for a beer and they lose, again, no sign of a beer. So (me being me) kind of bust his balls a few times about the beer, but really it's no biggie, I have my own cash, but it's just the point. About a half hour later he wants me to play my friend and bet me $10. I said ok, but put the $10 up cause you're not gonna screw me outta $10, cause u already screw me out of two beers. It starts an argument (which is fine with me) but it's only over a couple beers. Anyway, they all decide to leave and I follow them outside and told them to forget about the beers, let's just play pool and have fun. This guy (prob in his 50's) takes a swing at me. I blocked it and told him to stop it or else (maybe not that nice). He was my elder and I'm a little younger (43) and in decent shape, so why even accept the challenge? I just let him go on his merry way. My question is, how would you have handled it?
Joey

Electech

on the b train again....
Silver Member
Wouldn't have played for the second beer. As far as the swing fair game.

Post it up

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a guy last week I played for a beer. I won and he didn't pay. Keep in mind he is a friend of my buddies. No big deal, so we play a game of partners for a beer and they lose, again, no sign of a beer. So (me being me) kind of bust his balls a few times about the beer, but really it's no biggie, I have my own cash, but it's just the point. About a half hour later he wants me to play my friend and bet me $10. I said ok, but put the $10 up cause you're not gonna screw me outta $10, cause u already screw me out of two beers. It starts an argument (which is fine with me) but it's only over a couple beers. Anyway, they all decide to leave and I follow them outside and told them to forget about the beers, let's just play pool and have fun. This guy (prob in his 50's) takes a swing at me. I blocked it and told him to stop it or else (maybe not that nice). He was my elder and I'm a little younger (43) and in decent shape, so why even accept the challenge? I just let him go on his merry way. My question is, how would you have handled it?
Joey
You handled it fine, not sure the tone of voice being used of course. I probably wouldnt have played the guy a second time..... but you were right not to escalate the situation any further. Not worth it.

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to be clear

The second game was partners against me and a mutual friend of ours. I was thinking at this point that maybe he forgot about the first beer, cause if hadn't said anything. My fault for not mentioning it I guess.

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucky him

10 years ago I woulda just busted him in the mouth...glad I grew up a little bit...lol

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i would have said something about the owed beer before the second game
i would not have followed him outside
you did good by not busting him in the mouth......:thumbup:
no need for possible police involvement and/ or he comes back with a gun
people are sick these days and you dont really know him
it would have been be ok with me if you did bust him in the mouth .......:thumbup:
he deserved it after he took the first swing

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just let it go. Guy plays you for a beer, loses and doesn't buy you a beer - forget about it, buy yourself a beer and play someone else. He's either too out of it to know what he is doing or he is actually playing for a beer that he really needs but can't afford. There is zero mileage in pursing any other outcome. If he manages to beat you just buy him a beer and accept that you were playing for experience.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey

Why try to keep up with beers? , if you play for a while you will just lose count . Say , hey , lets just play 5 a game , pay up after every game . People playing for a beer are trying to drink for free , not always , but if you are playing a stranger it is usually that way especially if they suggest it . It is why i think bars with several tables should have a challenge table for a set price , it saves a lot of trouble.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make everyone post up, except your mother and God.

Learned from my mistakes.

Ken

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you handled it fine, I would have also played the second game, but not the third game.

I'm ok with you going outside to get the last word in, some people need to be reminded they are fukk-ups.............kinda like honking the horn when a guy cuts you off (wont change his behavior, but at least he knows you noticed)

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Depends on how much, but regardless of the amount we dont play again until they pay the original amount owed, plus they put the money on the light next time.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the others...when bet #2 comes up, ask wht kind of bet is it...is it like the last one, where the loser doesn't have to pay up?

Then if you really wanna be a dick, add that you don't want to play for a beer, you wanna play for 4 kegs if we aren't actually gonna pay up.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Angel in me would have not played the 2nd game and leave it at that.
The Demon in me would have continued to play and play and play giving him a bigger can of whoop ass each time, just to let him know what a douche he is!

You handled it the right way; don't feel bad just move on. Am sure you'll find a nice player who will play $20 sets and pay out with a smile on their face. As it should be...
:thumbup:

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Posted in the wrong thread. Haven't had my coffee today

Last edited:

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have hit him so hard, his next kid would have been born dizzy.

j/k you handled it just fine.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You handled it fine. I would have asked about the beer on the first round and declined the 2nd match if he did not pay off.

Any other match would be money posted up front.

Going outside in today's world is taking a big chance with your future. He could have a weapon and be willing to use it or you deck him and the police get involved and one or both of you wind up in jail. Not worth it, IMO, cause bail fees and lawyers can get expensive.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey

I think you should have read the signs after he didn't pay the beers the first time. As you said, it's not the value of the beers that's important. But it's his lack of character that should have raised your alarm about him.

I would've stayed clear of the guy after the beer incident.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Wow, you guys need to adjust your sensitivity meters. This guy was having a bad day before a ball was hit. He figured he wins a beer and all is good in his world. (His problems shrivel in a beer mug..)
So, he loses, gets pissed (at himself), plays again doubles with a chance for redemption. He loses again. Now his BAD DAY has gotten worse.

As humble as your intention to forget about the beers was, when you were outside with him and mention it that was just a reminder of how shitty his day was. (put some salt in them wounds.)

Play a friend for a beer, win'lose its just a beer. His/your match had more riding than "just a beer"

I woulda just let it go after the first time. We all have bad days every now and then .