Question about one pocket layout

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
I have the top pocket and need them both. What would you do here? I have a bet with someone about what people will come up with and I cannot say anything else for now as one of the terms.

endshot.jpg

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there is room to play a 2 rail bank on the 14, I'd go for that, otherwise, there is a 2 rail kick safety to be had.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you can knock it out of there do that. if not make it and send the cue ball off the table.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
if you can knock it out of there do that. if not make it and send the cue ball off the table.
I'd follow it in if possible before flying the CB...but I agree with ^^^^.

In knocking the 14B away, I'd try to bank it near the upper right corner.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming he only needs one (no spot involved), and it is equally easy to make the 14 and scratch as it to sucessfully move the 14 from the pocket: I would move the 14. Why? Because he still has to make one ball to your 2 instead of 1 ball to your 3.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming he only needs one (no spot involved), and it is equally easy to make the 14 and scratch as it to sucessfully move the 14 from the pocket: I would move the 14. Why? Because he still has to make one ball to your 2 instead of 1 ball to your 3.
But why is 2 less tha 3, that is the real question :roll-eyes:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just win from here: kick to the side rail, bottom rail, into the 14 banking it to your hole and getting position under the 5 for the win if you happen to make the 14.

In other words, I have no idea :thumbup:.

Dave

JonTravisTaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the top pocket and need them both. What would you do here? I have a bet with someone about what people will come up with and I cannot say anything else for now as one of the terms.

View attachment 209520
in this scenario is this your last shot?? i.e. the game is over after the next shot? If so, I 2 rail the 5 ball with right english on the cue, taking the cue 4 rails for shape on the 14 for a finishing cross bank....if this is a mid game scenario I shoot the 14 with straight left englinsh trying to 2 rail it up table to tie it up on the 5, ideally cueball finishes frozen to the head rail...

hdgis1

I thin the 14 with top right. Just enough speed to bring 14 off the rail out a diamond or two. Should sen cue up table and leave nothing but a bank or a tough cut on the 14.

Chris

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member

It looks like its tough to bank it out because if the CB catches the rail first you wll either make it or double kiss and leave a bunny. Two rail kicking is too risky because of the scratch.

I would kick to the bottom rail and come across the face of the ball, knocking it towards your hole. With fast cloth you may make it and get shape to two rail bank the 5. Slow cloth you leave the 14 near the middle of the end rail and the CB near where it began.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would kick behind the 14 two rails, but with pocket speed, so the CB ends up gently nudging the 14, forcing him to shoot it.

Or

Thin the right side of the 14 using right on the CB to get it out of the way, moving the 14 out of the corner and hopefully against the bottom rail, or worst case, on your side (you might leave him a bank).

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm looking at the diagram correctly I'd shoot past the 14 with a bunch of left English and kick the 14 out of there.

But then, I'm not a one pocket player.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He said he needs them both in first post

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm banking the 14 over to my side of the table and leaving the Q ball frozen on the bottom rail or as close to frozen as I can get it.

John

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you mean? Wouldn't you want to shoot 2 balls to his 1 rather than 3 balls to this 1?

At this stage of the game I would certainly consider kicking at the 14 ball off the short rail with left English.But you could scratch easily, double kiss and leave him a shot anyway, and your turning the CB loose even if you hit it good. So there is a lot of uncertainty and loss of control.

Now I don't know what Black-balled was thinking but if you made your opponents ball and scratched then his next shot would be from the kitchen at two spotted balls. A difficult shot that he would probably miss. This leave three balls on the table instead of just two for which you could start a run to get out or off of which to play a good safe.