Ra Hanna Commentary - Am I The Dinosaur??

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about this last night after a US Open match and listening to Ra Hanna with Beau Runnigan in the booth doing commentary.

Beau came across to me as a knowledgeable and thoughtful commentator although there was rarely a moment when either he or his partner weren't speaking and I thought that was unecessary.

The worst of it for me was Ra Hanna though with his referring to everyone, the players, others in the pool world, and even Beau as "Mister" fill in the blank with their last name. Added to that were an awful lot of streety, hipster, slang commentary that I felt didn't belong. This really grated on my nerves to the point I had to turn the volume off and that was unfortunate because I do like hearing the table sounds, balls clicking, etc. But, it was my choice.

Afterward, I began thinking, hey, maybe this is the new wave; is my demographic becoming less significant?

Once asked if he had any pool groupies, John Schmidt responded of course he does, but unfortunately they're all 55+ year old men. That was pretty damned funny. And, actually, I suppose it's true! :eek:

So maybe it's time for a change to attract younger fans and this kind of commentary is part of a much needed change.

My ears felt assaulted after listening to that match but maybe others really enjoyed it.

One thing I will say that came through was that "Mister" Hanna has passion for the sport. :thumbup:

So be honest, am I a dinosaur and it's just time for a change?

Hope you don't mind my candor but that's how many of us old brontosauresus roll. :grin-square::wink::grin-square: did I spell that right?

Seriously, I'm interested to know your thoughts.

best,
brian kc

ABSOLUTELY OR THATS RIGHT....you pick...

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kerry;

I listened to the encore just now of the brilliant comeback by Shaw and while Ra Hanna was still a bit much for my taste, he was W-A-Y ratcheted down from what I heard with him and Beau Runnigan in the Shuff match.

Apparently he toned it down a lot sitting with Mark Wilson.

I do like the idea that the young guys and girls are so much more media savvy insofar as being able to get the word out to advance our sport.

More opinions are appreciated.

best,
brian kc

Kickin', getting your first impressions of Ra when he is in the booth with Beau is not the best representation of his talent. He and Beau are close friends and business partners, so the overly chummy overtones can put you off if you are watching to sweat out a match, especially if it is a big tournament like the US Open.

As someone has posted earlier, Ra does the majority of the Mezz action, and he is very good there keeping things upbeat for the many hours it takes to complete the tournament. His dedication is rarely matched by others.

He is at his best when paired with someone like Oscar or his dad Ernesto. Those two are very tactical in their analysis, and Ra blends well with that style. Also enjoy when he does commentary with Dave Hemmah during the Mezz.

Maybe the trait that rubs you the wrong way is Ra's penchant for using cliches? My nickname for him is Captain Cliche. It's alright in the end, he keeps things upbeat with his style, and you get used to it.

Good for you Ra for getting the big gigs after only a few years in the booth :thumbup:

Ra also had/has an acting career. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1106926/

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ra and Beau's commentary was essentially nothing but gibberish. They were talking out of their asses throughout the match. Both are highly ignorant of pool. It was like listening to dumb and dumber do commentary.

They brought a lot of energy and passion, but the commentary completely lack substance.

Ra, in particular, pretends to be smarter than he really is. His commentary ruined some really great matches. I muted my TV and eventually turned off the match because of him.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really enjoy Ra's commentary, especially last night with mark Wilson. He was asking Mark questions out different ways to play shots and what he thought was easiest/had best percentages. He was genuinely asking for himself but also for the spectators, which is great heads up commentary, being aware of what probably the majority of listeners would like to know and learn, even though he didn't know he is humble and hungry enough for knowledge he'll ask those kind of questions. Which I respect and am thankful for

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really enjoy Ra's commentary, especially last night with mark Wilson. He was asking Mark questions out different ways to play shots and what he thought was easiest/had best percentages. He was genuinely asking for himself but also for the spectators, which is great heads up commentary, being aware of what probably the majority of listeners would like to know and learn, even though he didn't know he is humble and hungry enough for knowledge he'll ask those kind of questions. Which I respect and am thankful for

Even though I can't stand his commentary, I think Ra is a terrific interviewer. He's great at asking the right questions and bring out the insights of others.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I have to say I really enjoy what he has brought to the tournament this week. He's been all over social media streaming, doing interviews, behind the scenes, updates etc. Also I think in the booth he brings an excitement that is normally missing from pool. It's a much more modern approach that pool desperately needs. I don't expect a lot of the sour old bittys on here to like it, but I'm a fan.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed Ra's commentary with Mark and I'm glad to see some young guys getting involved with the tournaments. I'm a "dinosaur" and want to be replaced. :grin:

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say I really enjoy what he has brought to the tournament this week. He's been all over social media streaming, doing interviews, behind the scenes, updates etc. Also I think in the booth he brings an excitement that is normally missing from pool. It's a much more modern approach that pool desperately needs. I don't expect a lot of the sour old bittys on here to like it, but I'm a fan.

Ditto.

Does Ra have the pool cred of a Mark Wilson or Danny D? Of course not - but that's not why he's in the booth.

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I get it. I'd accept the offer I think lol.

For real what does this mean?

KMRUNOUT

He is pointing out that 43 is so old he must have been on earth in the time frame to be invited to the last supper by Jesus himself.

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't see the stream in question, but I watch a lot of matches on YouTube and AZBTV. In general I think there are a
few commentators that do a good job, but too many behave as if they are the main attraction rather than the match.

I watched a match where Johnny Archer was in the booth and I had to turn it off because they ( don't remember the
other guy) only managed to talk about the match for 30 seconds or so every 5 minutes. The rest was stories and
self-promotion. They seldom had any idea what the score was.

The biggest sin I notice is many of the commentators seem to feel that they must fill every second with commentary -- good
or bad. Sometimes less is more, guys.

Last edited:

cmsmith9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought all the commentators did a great job and the addition of Ra Hanna was an excellent choice. He's been in the game for a while and has some knowledge, let's give him a chance. They're trying to change things for the better within our sport, let's support them.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I feel like Ra Hanna finished way better compared to the first stream I heard him do with Beau.

I may be a dinosaur but not so much of one that I don't see the real potential value of young people like them working the social media angles to create more exposure for our sport.

Did US Open 9b even have a facebook presence before this year?

best,
brian kc

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some people like Ra's commentary; some people don't. I want to concentrate on the people that do.

Ra does a lot for our sport. He promotes it. He streams it. He is part of the pool journalism world.

I hope he takes everyone's criticism as constructive. Personally, I think the man is awesome and that we need more people of his ilk in our world, not less.

Freddie

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ra and Beau's commentary was essentially nothing but gibberish. They were talking out of their asses throughout the match. Both are highly ignorant of pool. It was like listening to dumb and dumber do commentary.

They brought a lot of energy and passion, but the commentary completely lack substance.

Ra, in particular, pretends to be smarter than he really is. His commentary ruined some really great matches. I muted my TV and eventually turned off the match because of him.

I know Ra personally and he's a pretty smart dude. Easy going and interesting to talk to.

Ra isn't a pro player but he knows the game well. Beau is definitely a pro, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind you testing his 'ignorance' of pool matching up with him on the green felt.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some people like Ra's commentary; some people don't. I want to concentrate on the people that do.

Ra does a lot for our sport. He promotes it. He streams it. He is part of the pool journalism world.

I hope he takes everyone's criticism as constructive. Personally, I think the man is awesome and that we need more people of his ilk in our world, not less.

Freddie

Didn't do so bad yourself. I really liked your commentary with Mark. You two make a great team!