**Rare Video of Cole Dickson & Dave Matlock from 1993 LA Open**

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Yeah, it's me again.:p Let me take a brief moment to apologize for my year long absence. I'm trying to break out of the worst year of my life, which included the worst year in every dept.... work, finances, family, marriage, health, housing and pool. I am trying to adjust to major changes in every aspect of my life, so I am trying to add some normalcy, by getting back to creating projects to share with my fellow pool brothers and sisters:)

My good buddy Rick shared a VCR tape with me of Cole Dickson and Dave Matlock playing a match of onepocket Race to 3 at the 1993 LA Open. I believe Steve Cook won that year and Mark Tadd (Tademy) came in 2nd. The only other video I've seen from this tournament is the one with Bugs Rucker and our very own Mark Griffin I notice that this video is shot on the same table 6 as the other one and has about the same quality, so could very well be shot by the same person.

I converted the VCR tape over to a digital file, and uploaded. There is no commentary, except for you can hear people around the camcorder talking faintly. The quality is not the best but you can see the players, you can make out the balls and you have audio of the action at the table, so you got everything you need!:smile:

This is the only video I have ever seen of Cole Dickson, other then the Accu-stats DVD of him playing Rudolfo Luat at the Derby a few years ago.

I had the pleasure of meeting him and watching him play, back in the mid 80's when he came to Harry Platis's room in Seattle along with FlyBoy. If I remember correctly, he didn't get to play Harry, FlyBoy did. But he did play for a hour or so and then Cole and Mike Zimmerman messed around with some stroke shots.

I was working at the 211 Club at the time, so I was living and breathing pool back then and I lived for when the road players came to town. I always paid close attention to any player coming to town, I wanted to learn everything I could about their stroke, their stance, their grip, their presence at the table. Cole was a one of a kind when it came to these attributes. I was mesmerized by him. He got very low in his stance, with both legs spread wide. His stroke could be described as piston like, short quick strokes. He was playing onepocket and I was amazed at how well he was able to hit the ball hard but the cueball would die after contact. He was very good at hitting the ball hard and stunning it or stopping it with great accuracy. He also made the hardest shots look easy. He fired everything in from anywhere.

In regards to the match, while I wish I could say he played flawless, he didn't here. This was 20 years ago and it's one match out of the thousands he's played, so one certainly can't read into just how great of player he was, by watching this one match. We have no idea of his mindset in this match, there's countless things that can affect how we play each time.

One thing that is not disputed by anyone, is that Cole Dickson was a phenomenal player that was feared by most everyone. He was a player in the same vein as Keith McCready. We all know we love guys like that!

Hats off to Dave Matlock for pulling this match off being down 2 games to 0 and onepocket not being his game of choice.

Lets all say a prayer for Cole Dickson, as he is going thru some very serious health issues right now. There are some threads regarding this, so please read them and see how you can help or get in touch to wish him well.

Thank you Cole for keeping the fire lit for me 30 years ago, by showing me how a gunslinger played. Thank you Rick for sharing this video with me, so I can share with the rest of you guys.

What do you say we all start to contribute by sharing these old videos many of you have, instead of trying to sell them. We need to show everyone who these great players of the past were, and that's not going to happen hoarding onto these rare videos and selling them to 10 other people.

If anyone needs any videos converted over from VHS or some other kind of media, please get in touch with me. I would be happy to do it for free.

(PS: Kicking Chicken, I have not forgot about you and am trying to finish up some outstanding things I have not worked on over the past year:embarrassed2:)

I am posting this on the CSI Youtube page. Please go there and subscribe, as I will be uploading more videos in the coming months there. If you subscribe you can be alerted of when new videos get posted so you can be right on top of it. Show your support for the best company and people out there, who are trying to do good things for pool.

1993 LA Open - Cole Dickson and David Matlock (48mins)

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I'm at work and can't watch the match right now, but I wanted to say thanks.

Top shelf effort, Cali.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Welcome back, Cali. This is awesome and I plan on watching it when I get home from work. Can't wait to see more videos and more of your work.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome back Cali, and thanks for the video.
I hope this is a great year for you!
Mark

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The You Tube site is:

Cue Sports International
(Go to YouTube.com and put Cue Sports International in search bar).

Thanks to Greg "CaliRed" for getting thi sup there.

Mark Griffin

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My friend J.J. came to me before the 1993 L.A. Open and asked my permission to tape matches. We set him up right on the directors podium behind us and he put a small video camera on a tripod and would tape the matches that we put on the table in front of us. I tried to pick the best matches for him. It's some classic footage of players who are rarely if ever seen on video. J.J. worked for Ernie Guttierez (Ginacue) for many years. You may be able to still reach him through Ernie. I haven't seen him in a few years. I hope he's well, one great guy!

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you

the first 2 games almost looked like 8 ball, they were shooting at everythink with few safety's

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
My friend J.J. came to me before the 1993 L.A. Open and asked my permission to tape matches. We set him up right on the directors podium behind us and he put a small video camera on a tripod and would tape the matches that we put on the table in front of us. I tried to pick the best matches for him. It's some classic footage of players who are rarely if ever seen on video. J.J. worked for Ernie Guttierez (Ginacue) for many years. You may be able to still reach him through Ernie. I haven't seen him in a few years. I hope he's well, one great guy!

thanks for the additional info Jay... seems you have been everywhere and you also remember where you've been:) So you think JJ might have been the guy that taped this match and Bugs and Mark G on Table 6? If so, might anyone have a email for JJ they can PM me? It would be worth seeing if he might have any others.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very cool footage, thanks. And welcome back - I hope 2013 is a good year for you.

Dave