Red circle vs measles comparison

Joe Rogan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that there are a lot of people that have strong opinions on their choice of cue ball, but up until today I never really put that much thought into it. I always just assumed for some reason that whatever difference in performance there was between the two most common cue balls was not that big a deal.

I was playing today for about an hour or so with the measles, and then I switched to a red circle and I couldn't believe how much more lively the cue ball was. It was almost as if I changed the cloth or something. Draw shots were much easier and english seemed to take a little better too.
I haven't weighed the difference between the two, but you could certainly feel the difference in play.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both and have weighed them to the 100th of an ounce. My red circle is about .04 ounces heavier.

I think it's different for each ball. My measle ball seems to be much more lively. Some of it is probably mental though.

senor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that there are a lot of people that have strong opinions on their choice of cue ball, but up until today I never really put that much thought into it. I always just assumed for some reason that whatever difference in performance there was between the two most common cue balls was not that big a deal.

I was playing today for about an hour or so with the measles, and then I switched to a red circle and I couldn't believe how much more lively the cue ball was. It was almost as if I changed the cloth or something. Draw shots were much easier and english seemed to take a little better too.
I haven't weighed the difference between the two, but you could certainly feel the difference in play.

Joe, I think a lot of people who play pool for a living prefer the measles, or formerly the red triangle, because it comes with the set of Super Aramiths. Likewise, they prefer the blue circle when playing with the Centennial balls.

Red circles, on the other hand, do not have one manufacturer. Apparently, one red circle does not have to be the same as the next.

All that being said, I usually always played with a red circle.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Joe the condition of the ball means allot. A dirty ball plays so much different then one that is new or clean. You could have two measle Cb's of different conditions and they would seem like night and day. I have used and worn out about every kind of ball there is and I can't tell much difference as long as there all on a level playing field (so to speak.)

Last edited:

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
I have both and have weighed them to the 100th of an ounce. My red circle is about .04 ounces heavier.

I think it's different for each ball. My measle ball seems to be much more lively. Some of it is probably mental though.
I have both as well. My measles ball is slightly larger in diameter, but is matched closely to the set of Aramith Pro's that I have. Tends to roll further too. The red circle does draw a little more, but I think that is because it is smaller than the object balls. I prefer playing with the measles ball as it gives me more feedback on spin and speed.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The red circle is definitely more lively. Several people have told me that the measles ball weighs slightly more.

dragon81

Jaded Seoul =)
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that the measle ball is slightly bigger and weighs slightly more than the red circle.
I usually practice with the measle...so when I switch to the red circle....it looks like I am playing pin ball for the first game or two because I tend to overstroke everything! :)
I prefer the measle, since most of the tournaments use it.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I have a new measles ball and a new set of Centennials with a blue circle ball, and they measure and play identically (as far as I can tell). I've also played with red circle balls thousands of times and can't tell any difference - as long as they're matched with the object balls.

I think the differences people notice are different amounts of use.

pj
chgo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Joe, it's not your imagination.
Red Circle or the Centennial cueball for that matter play much " lighter" than the dreaded measles cueball.
It's even worse if the set of balls are a little worn out and are a little smaller.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Joe, it's like this....

Blue Circle Cue Ball is like:
Anderson Silva
Rashad Evans
Lyoto Machida

Measles Cue Ball is like:
Forrest Griffin
Frank Mir
GSP

Red Circle Cue Ball is like:
Chuck Liddell - now
Ken Shamrock - now
Tank Abbott - now

That's probably the best way I can put it.

Regards,
SpiderDave

P.S. I happen to not like a lively ball. Lively balls get away from ya. It's better to send a knuckle-ball around the table and know where it's going.

Last edited:

rvan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with 1 and i think that i am looking more
at the m cue ball, Thinking i sould be better!!!
Or not the way i shot it. And i think the cue b should or have differint spin.

My 2 cent.

Thanks Rvan.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
i tried to use the mealse ball when i bought my aramith super pros and I hated it. I just cant get used to that thing. And I figure why try, its not like alot of big tours or tourneys are using it so why bother adjusting to it. Its on the shelf now, replaced by the red circle forever.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I always just assumed for some reason that whatever difference in performance there was between the two most common cue balls was not that big a deal.

C'mon Joe! That's like saying there's no difference between an arm bar and an arm triangle!

-PoolBum (who doesn't know the difference between an arm bar and an arm triangle)

Last edited:

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they seem to weigh about the same, but the weight seems distributed thru them differently, red circle draws easier because the weight seems to be centered in the cue ball more. the measle seems to have he weight towards the outside (maybe because of the actual weight of the spots) which makes it a little more difficult to draw. my buddy had a measle ball shipped with his diamond table and that thing was a brick, it got alot of hair line fractures around the ball as if it had some type of glass coating around it, definately odd.

i like the aramith super pro cueball, with the red logo on it. it seems to be the most durable 6 oz. ball

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
A new measles ball is larger & weighs more than a new red circle ball. You can jerk the red circle around & draw it easier but I prefer how the measle plays as its the same size as the aramith super pros. Take 2 balls and lay your shaft over the top of them and press down holding it all in place...then take a red circle and roll it under your shaft between the 2 balls. It will roll under no problem as its smaller. Same trick with the measle ball & it hits your shaft & stops.:wink:

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
both balls are the same quality, just one has dots. There both super aramith pro and the brunswick centennail balls are also the same.

ykndoit

UnRegistered Abuser
Silver Member

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
I have been told that the red circle is made from Carom ball resin.
The measel with pool ball resin.
When we measured 2 new ones the measel was .0010 bigger.
I perfer the red circle because it does not mark up as much.
It therefore plays more consistant througout it's life.