RIP Dan Walton "Waldo"

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Waldo passed away today in Indianapolis. He had been in the hospital with health conditions that he just couldn't shake.

He was a well known player in Indiana and the midwest. He played great bar table pool.

He is in a better place I feel, as he had been going through hard times the past year or so.

RIP Waldo...thanks for the memories of all the battles on the green felt jungle over the years.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I have been trying to find a good picture I once had of him from one of the tournaments in Indy.

Im sure there are lots of people that knew him over the years and in his day he was a strong player. Heres a little story that im sure those that knew him can relate to. Several years ago we were in Indy for a bar table tournament and in between matches a few guys were playing a ring game. A friend of mine said put me in this and we'll split if I win anything. It was just $10 a game so I give him $50 and in no time hes back and says give me another $50. I say how can you have lost that already and he says "easily, when Waldo breaks and runs 7 in a row what am I suppose to do"

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough competitor...........

I remember not to many years ago i was ahead of Waldo 6-1 in a race to 7.

He beat me 7-6. He had heart.

I know he will be missed in Indy.

Nice guy for sure. I for one will miss him every time I stop.

Waldo, may you rest in peace.......

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
While I have no clue who this gentleman is, it sounds like our sport is now less one more great person.

RIP!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favorite Indiana players. I watched him for hours at Derby City when it was at the Executive West.

He played very strong and gambled on a bar box, usually winning by a game or two, the guy he was playing would always play again and again.:rolleyes:

I never knew his real name and knew him only by "Waldo"

Ken

Wow, this is sad,,,,I played partners in north Vernon against him MANY MANY Monday nights for many years. Me and Barbox wheelchair Charlie versus him and Dennis. At the ole Silverdollar. Once it closed it was all you could drink White Russians :thumbup: we also played against Dennis and Mike Minor a lot.

Great guys, played $50-$100 a game per man, nine ball alternating shot one bar tables. No coaching. I can't count how many hours we played over e years and NEVER had an argument or problem, and actually SHOOK hands win or lose. Unheard of in this day and age.

I always had fun with Waldo and those guys, and I'm sorry to hear about his passing..RIP Waldo

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Always enjoyed playing Waldo in tournaments. Was a good guy to talk with, while waiting for the next match. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Was actually talking about him the last tournament I played in about a month ago.

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Dan did the fancy textured concrete work on the patio behind my house....still haven't seen any concrete work that nice anywhere else. I called him Dan for many years; but never heard anyone else call him anything but Waldo so eventually I changed.

He fell on hard times; but wasn't one to complain much, and was always appreciative of any help. I've never heard of anyone who had anything bad to say about him (in the pool world that's a bit of a rarity).

RIP

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Waldo passed away today in Indianapolis. He had been in the hospital with health conditions that he just couldn't shake.

He was a well known player in Indiana and the midwest. He played great bar table pool.

He is in a better place I feel, as he had been going through hard times the past year or so.

RIP Waldo...thanks for the memories of all the battles on the green felt jungle over the years.

Damn.... Godspeed Waldo.

Lucky_Lew66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
played with and against Waldo for 20 years,he was one of the best players in Indy,and he has won some big tournaments all over the US,at times he could beat anyone that stepped to the table. Pretty quiet and a good guy, very seldom heard him complain about anything. He was one of those guys that would play you $ 5 a game all day long. His name is Dan Walton thats why everyone called him Waldo. He had a lot of heart,and love for the game,and he will be missed. RIP Waldo

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
just a little off-topic observation... I've been on this site about a month, and have already seen more than a few 'RIP' threads for various old Pool Veterans that have passed on......It's a trend that truly saddens me, especially with our sport that is already in serious risk of fading away... :(

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Steve Booth probably has his photo in his DCC collection. The only problem is some of the photos are not labeled with names. I am not sure what Waldo looks like, but if he's at the DCC, I'm pretty sure Steve Booth got a cool pool picture.

Here's a link for you to peruse: http://onepocket.smugmug.com/keyword/dcc/88/721277863_y3z7e#!i=721277863&k=KbMk3Wh

RIP, Waldo.

Your right, and I know I saw a few pictures from the past DCC's....finding them is whats tough. I went through probably a thousand last night from the Action, Tournament, Ambiance...etc

Something will turn up :wink:

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
Waldo was my best friend, and it's a huge loss for me. Back to the days in Florida and back up in Indiana, Waldo was always the best person to me and I to him.

100_6300.JPG

Thank you for this! My family appreciates the sentiments and the memories!

We will be holding a viewing for Waldo on Friday January 17, 2014 from 2pm to 4pm with a service after at 4. It will be located at Bell Mortuary 2310 West Washington, Indianapolis, IN, 46222.

The family would love to hear your stories in person if you are able to join us.

Again Thank you