San Jose Dick McMorran. An interesting man

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday I drove from Tucson to Phoenix to have lunch with my dear friend, Dick.
I first met Dick in the early to mid 60s, when he came to the Cotton Palace, in Dallas. to beat the consortium that nested there. Not many road players showed up there and left with the money. Back then nobody played with an open bridge unless they were stalling. Dick played with one and a bridge about four inches long (another oddity to us). The only thing that kept us from laughing at him was he barbecued every one who got close to his table. For one pocket, we held Texas' local champion, U.J. Puckett on a pedestal. Dick, with is race horse style, toppled Puckett off of it numerous times, thus raising the bar on the game. Come to think of it, nobody around there ever reached it.

Enter Alfie, looking much younger and less shrewd than most thought, including Dick, I asked for and got 9 to 6, for fifty a game (Pretty good stakes in the 60s) from the new master of the joint. For those of you who read my book, you've heard this. Six games ahead and I quit, paid the time and boogied out the door. The next day, when I walked in, Dick immediately jumped at me. "Why did you quit me ahead, you chicken shit?" Unable to come up with a story on such short notice, I went for the truth:
"My wife just had our baby and I needed the money to get her out of the hospital." A little taken back, Dick said, "Hell buddy. Why didn't you tell me. I'd of given you the money for that." And, no doubt, he would have.

Anyway, yesterday we had a delightful lunch and toddy, reminiscing. At one point, he toasted, "To better days." Then he followed with, "Never mind that. We've had some pretty damn good days in the past." I am privileged to Call Dick one of my best friend today. Keep it respectful. Alfie

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Yesterday I drove from Tucson to Phoenix to have lunch with my dear friend, Dick.
I first met Dick in the early to mid 60s, when he came to the Cotton Palace, in Dallas. to beat the consortium that nested there. Not many road players showed up there and left with the money. Back then nobody played with an open bridge unless they were stalling. Dick played with one and a bridge about four inches long (another oddity to us). The only thing that kept us from laughing at him was he barbecued every one who got close to his table. For one pocket, we held Texas' local champion, U.J. Puckett on a pedestal. Dick, with is race horse style, toppled Puckett off of it numerous times, thus raising the bar on the game. Come to think of it, nobody around there ever reached it.

Enter Alfie, looking much younger and less shrewd than most thought, including Dick, I asked for and got 9 to 6, for fifty a game (Pretty good stakes in the 60s) from the new master of the joint. For those of you who read my book, you've heard this. Six games ahead and I quit, paid the time and boogied out the door. The next day, when I walked in, Dick immediately jumped at me. "Why did you quit me ahead, you chicken shit?" Unable to come up with a story on such short notice, I went for the truth:
"My wife just had our baby and I needed the money to get her out of the hospital." A little taken back, Dick said, "Hell buddy. Why didn't you tell me. I'd of given you the money for that." And, no doubt, he would have.

Anyway, yesterday we had a delightful lunch and toddy, reminiscing. At one point, he toasted, "To better days." Then he followed with, "Never mind that. We've had some pretty damn good days in the past." I am privileged to Call Dick one of my best friend today. Keep it respectful. Alfie

Nice story Alf, hope that you are well. :thumbup:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting Man

I doubt you remember anything like this but I think we met about 1970.
Ft. Bragg NC I was just getting ready to ETS and you came to a little pool room off Bragg Blvd.
For years I thought it must have been Nick Varner, but when I met you in Phoenix with Billy Mac, I was sure, even after all those years, that you were the guy that came in that day.
You rode up on a bicycle and you had on cutoff jeans a t shirt and a big lump of cash in your left pocket, and you looked about 13 years old from the length of the pool room.
I asked if you wanted to play some and you said you didn't like to play as much as try shots.
You set up a 2 rail shot to go in the side pocket that looked impossible and asked if I wanted to bet and give you so many tries.
I had already gone for a couple of those, so I said no thanks and figured you could either do it, or you were trying to set me up for something else.
I got out of your way and a couple of other guys came over and stuck their noses in it.
I went home for dinner and a couple hours later I came back and you had skinned several of them and left already.
Anyway, it was a pleasure to meet you both times and I really enjoyed your book.
Hope you are well, I hope you keep telling us your stories.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Anyway, yesterday we had a delightful lunch and toddy, reminiscing. At one point, he toasted, "To better d

ays." Then he followed with, "Never mind that. We've had some pretty damn good days in the past." I am privileged to Call Dick one of my best friends today. Keep it respectful. Alfie

Thats why you got 9 to 6, you 'apple polisher'!..Your best game, was always making people believe they played twice as good as they did! ..I may have played a little better than you, but I'd take your win/loss percentage over mine, in a heartbeat! :bow-down:

Yes, I really enjoyed yesterday too Alf..The only down part, was learning how many guys from our past, are no longer with us!..Good to see you are still looking good, and doing well! :smile:

Stroud, you and me..Las Vegas--199? :rolleyes:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338758747_734524.jpg

With Weenie Beenie's daughter, Gwyn Staton
http://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=434505&stc=1&d=1474143164

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 1,352
Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Thanks for the story Alfie. You are a nice guy and very good writer too. See you down the road I hope. :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i know dick has his "less than fans" on the internet
but he has always been good to me...:)
thanks for the story alf

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJD -

Never met the guy ever but enjoyed his stories here and over on 1Pocket com too.

He seems like a character, and I hope if I ever meet him in person we could have a few shots of Yukon Jack and he would share a few more stories.

It is a blessing having him here and stirring the $hit occassionally.

He sure has fun with the Chicago boys and they cant take it.

LOL

Ken

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW! I'm stunned...and complimented...and thankful

Hey my AZB compatriots. You really know how to make a guy feel welcome back. So many nice replys. This site is definitely food for my memory bank. And man, does it need it.

This next paragraph is so off-subject. Probably worth skipping.

I've been off the site for months writing another book. Sorry, it's not about pool. It's a romance novel that takes place in Morocco. My wife, Judi, does my proofreading but she's delightfully conservative so i told her this was too probably too smoky for her to read. She ran across my manuscript while I was at work and, after reading the first chapter, called me and said, "Darling, come home immediately.". That book has changed her life...and, it hasn't hurt mine much either. After finishing it, I asked her for a comment for the limited edition printing. She said, "There should be one on every couples nightstand.
It's entitled DANCING ON THE INSIDE...A MOROCCAN FANTASY.
Only 100 copies will be printed and they're pricey as all get out.
SJD is critiquing it as we speak.

Judi then asked me to write a children's book to "Cool down." Hah!
It's entitled PRINCESS ERIKA AND THE MAGIC RING. It teaches how to see with your heart, not just your eyes.
If you have any kids or grand kids that you would like to read it, I think you'll find it's worth it. Email me at alf@alftaylor.com and I'll send you a complimentary link. My pleasure.

I'm not trying to peddle books, Just jabbering

Keep it fun: Alfie

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Sorry for the hijack Alfie but Dick may owe you another lunch & toddy:

If Dick could stand up to U.J. Puckett even up......well then.....

Sorry for the hijack but Dick may owe you another lunch & toddy:

http://joeyapoolcommentator.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-most-terrifying-road-player-i-ever.html

JoeyA

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by Cuebuddy said:
View Post
I also enjoy Dick stories and writing skills. Not to mention Dick is a Colorado native

Dick is a Canadian native:).

RBL

RBL is correct Cuebuddy...I was accidently born in Canada, while my dad was working up there!..I have never even been back!..Mom was supposed to be back home, but I came a little early!..I've always considered Dolores, Colo. my home town! ;)

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the hijack Alfie but Dick may owe you another lunch & toddy:

If Dick could stand up to U.J. Puckett even up......well then.....

http://joeyapoolcommentator.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-most-terrifying-road-player-i-ever.html

JoeyA

Joey, you are doubting Alf's word?..I suppose you wouldn't believe I actually knocked U.J. out once,
in a fair fight?..Tell him Alfie, but please omit the part about the 2X4 (JK Joey)...Utley and I actually became quite good friends, for the rest of his life..

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
hi Alf,
Thank you for the article about San Jose Dick. I saw San Jose Dick when I began spending time at the Circus pool Room in San Jose, California. I was a wanna be player and observed many interesting things there and learned many a lesson. One of San Jose Dick's friends appeared to be another good player, Chuck Bailey (not sure of last name spelling). Chuck was a good friend of a friend, so sometimes I was around when Chuck would tell some stories. Your post brought up memories of old pool hall times gone by.
Thanks,
Taki

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
RBL is correct Cuebuddy...I was accidently born in Canada, while my dad was working up there!..I have never even been back!..Mom was supposed to be back home, but I came a little early!..I've always considered Dolores, Colo. my home town! ;)

Well I thought you were from Durango, I used to play a little in a place called Farquahrts. It was a pizza place on main street with a couple of tables.

Thanks for the correction Cowboy!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJD is more than OK by me.

Back in the day, I'd only occasionally heard vague rumors of him as a legendary player, when I lived out on the West Coast -- always a fictional, larger than life character. But I never crossed paths with him. That is until the 2011 US Open One Pocket Tournament in Vegas. I had organized a dinner for the members of onepocket.org (one of two years I did that) and he joined us to sup. Photo below.

Dick was a true gentleman throughout the dinner, regaling us with humorous stories. Later on that trip I ran into him at Best Billiards and he bummed a ride back to the hotel. It was my pleasure. That night he bought me a couple rounds of drinks before the tournament cranked up.

Flash forward a few years and he was one of my staunchest supporters in my matchup with JB, sending me endless PMs. We talked a couple of times on the phone, always providing me endless encouragement and told me not to fret -- that there was *no way* I could lose against The Barton.

So like I said, SJD is more than OK in my book.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• Dinner11.jpg
    Dinner11.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I also enjoy Dick stories and writing skills. Not to mention Dick is a Colorado native:cool:

Dick is a Canadian native:).

RBL

I'm not going for this bullshit, Richard McMorran....you have dual citizenship...
...and I got a feeling, unlike Ted Cruz, that you haven't renounced it.
You are eligible for a Canada passport.....eh?

IMG_1814.PNG

Here is where SJD was born...Kichener, Ontario.....
...it was called Berlin until 1916...Berlin became an unpopular name because of the Great War.

and I would personally like to take this opportunity to let you know that you are welcome
back anytime.

I heard SJD's name mentioned many times when i was a kid....
....ALWAYS WITH RESPECT

pt...born sixty miles from SJD's birthplace....later on :)