Schon or Woodworth.....Which would you prefer?

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Guys! I need a little help in determining which of these 2 Cues gets the nod for playability and resale value. I know most of this is simply a preference but I’d like to hear some opinions from anyone that has owned or played with both. I currently own the Schon and can possibly make a trade for the Woodworth. So, let’s hear it....:thumbup:

Attachments

• 1307B4B4-BF2B-41D0-B410-67963B15F95A.jpg
    1307B4B4-BF2B-41D0-B410-67963B15F95A.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 784
  • F9892C97-47BB-438A-9BA7-7C8D35A93703.jpg
    F9892C97-47BB-438A-9BA7-7C8D35A93703.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 781

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t played with the Woodworth. I’m not a big fan of the hard hit of the Schon. I may get to hit the Woodworth tomorrow.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t played with the Woodworth. I’m not a big fan of the hard hit of the Schon. I may get to hit the Woodworth tomorrow.

Back in the old days I loved the hit of the Schon. But that Woodworth looks good so that’s what I would get if the hit is as good

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both cues made by very good Cue makers. Two totally different disciplines in construction. Both Makers have a very good following. If resale is a contributing factor. STOP NOW. Other wise. Buy them both.

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I never played with a Woodworth, I think Schons hit pretty good, I'd have to try out the Woodworth before making a decision. If the Woodworth hits as good or better than the Schon I'd probably go for the Woodworth just because I prefer the sharper points.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I have owned many of both. Let's start with the stuff that is only mildly opinion. As to which will hold their value better Schon probably has the slight edge. When it comes to which will be quicker and easier to sell it isn't even remotely close and Schon has the huge edge here. Schon is very well known and has a large and loyal following and the market for Schon cues is huge whereas Woodworth is less known and the market for his cues is on the smaller side. The Woodworth does not have as stiff of a hit as the Schon does (which you said was too stiff for you), and therefore you are much more likely to end up preferring the little less stiff hit of the Woodworth which is closer to a medium hit but since "hit" is so subjective and we all experience it so differently there are never any guarantees.

Now for the really totally personal opinion stuff. IMO Woodworth cues hit and play better than Schon cues by a pretty decent margin. IMO that particular Schon cue is on the ugly side, ugly enough that I probably wouldn't play with it even if I got it free. IMO that Woodworth cue is actually a pretty nice looking cue, and certainly many times nicer looking than that particular Schon is. Plus the Woodworth has sharp points, and sharp points are always better than rounded points in my and many other people's opinions (probably the majority), so that is just another bonus on top of the fact that it looked way better in general outside of that.

If it were me and I could trade that Schon for that Woodworth I would do it in a heartbeat even if I had to throw in a few extra bucks. When you factor in both the looks of the cues as well as how they hit and play it isn't even close between them in my book but the next guy who has different tastes in hit and looks might say the exact opposite because hit and looks are all just personal preference.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't tried te Schon since Evan departed,but
I think the earlier schons were among the best hitting cues i ever played

I have seen many great players using Schon,Archer,Shannon, and many others

Bustamonte,if I am not mistaken

Not too many years ago South West,Scruggs and Schon were voted the top 3

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now for the really totally personal opinion stuff. IMO Woodworth cues hit and play better than Schon cues by a pretty decent margin. IMO that particular Schon cue is on the ugly side, ugly enough that I probably wouldn't play with it even if I got it free. IMO that Woodworth cue is actually a pretty nice looking cue, and certainly many times nicer looking than that particular Schon is. Plus the Woodworth has sharp points, and sharp points are always better than rounded points in my and many other people's opinions (probably the majority), so that is just another bonus on top of the fact that it looked way better in general outside of that.

You need to stop holding back and learn to express yourself. :D

That Woodworth cue has been for sale for a while. If it was a Schon if would have sold right away...even a not so pretty Schon.

But I agree with you. I like the Woodworth.

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the input! I did notice the Woodworth has been on ebay 3-4 times and didn’t sell. I think the re-sale factor plays a role for me but I guess I’ll decide when I get a chance to hit the Woody. Keep the replies coming, it makes for good reading...:)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have owned many of both. Let's start with the stuff that is only mildly opinion. As to which will hold their value better Schon probably has the slight edge. When it comes to which will be quicker and easier to sell it isn't even remotely close and Schon has the huge edge here. Schon is very well known and has a large and loyal following and the market for Schon cues is huge whereas Woodworth is less known and the market for his cues is on the smaller side. The Woodworth does not have as stiff of a hit as the Schon does (which you said was too stiff for you), and therefore you are much more likely to end up preferring the little less stiff hit of the Woodworth which is closer to a medium hit but since "hit" is so subjective and we all experience it so differently there are never any guarantees.

If it were me and I could trade that Schon for that Woodworth I would do it in a heartbeat even if I had to throw in a few extra bucks. When you factor in both the looks of the cues as well as how they hit and play it isn't even close between them in my book but the next guy who has different tastes in hit and looks might say the exact opposite because hit and looks are all just personal preference.

I'm on board with this post....and I would pay more for the Woody...looks great.
...assuming it's straight.
I like clean points...nothing on top of them.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I kind of like Woodworth.
Schon's are great cues, depending on the shaft, I love em.
This very early Woodworth is a fantastic example of a 3/8-10 flat faced phenolic jointed player.
Great playing cue that sat in a cuemaker's shop for 9-years until I sent it to another cuemaker.
Another year or two and my Woody is like new.
Just got it back.
Waited over ten years to play with my Woody.

Merry Christmas everyone

Woody 003.jpg

Woody 004.jpg

Woody 012.jpg

Woody 008.jpg

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
You should really teach Sunday School with that kind of selflessness!

Kidding aside, pretty cue! I'm sure it runs balls for you.

Marry Christmas!

I am very patient
Catholicism in cue collecting might be a good discipline to have.

Peace
Merry Christmas

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am uniquely qualified to answer since I own 2 playing cues - a Schon sp 49 and a Woodworth.

I love the Schon and played with it for several years until I got the Woodworth. Nothing against the Schon but the Woodworth fits my game a little better.

Having said that I haven't played with any other Woodworth, just this one. It made from Osage Orange, 3/8 10 joint flat faced. I can't vouch for the rest of his cues but this is a solid cue. I would call it a stiff hit. This video is with the Woodworth.

https://vimeo.com/77753947

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a woodworth that I found to be the most unpredictable noodle I ever owned.

Got rid of it and my game literally went (back up) a ball or 2 in months.

Again, try before you buy...

Johnsms3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there,

I was really excited to buy my Schon; unfortunately, I'm just not a fan of the hit and it just sits in the case. It hits like a tank and I just can't get use to it.

I've never played with a Woodworth, so I can't comment on that.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a woodworth that I found to be the most unpredictable noodle I ever owned.

Got rid of it and my game literally went (back up) a ball or 2 in months.

Again, try before you buy...

That's interesting. Was it the original shaft? My Woodworth is the only one I've played with but it is the opposite. Stiff hit.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
That's interesting. Was it the original shaft? My Woodworth is the only one I've played with but it is the opposite. Stiff hit.

Yesterday at a Christmas party I gave my Woodworth it's first real workout in competition, and did quite well against a former pro player.
It was scotch doubles but still I was putting the cueball anywhere I wanted, and I'm out of practice because of my back.
Even executed the Corey Duell draw shot which I used to practice.

Really juices the cueball and the tip is just a Kamikaze medium brown, nothing exotic.
I brought a Josswest with me just in case, but never needed it.

Peace
Happy holidays