shane beats chang in tar match

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Efren is actually one of my all-time favorite players. He could do things on the table that very few, if anyone else could do at the time. I just didn't see him completely dominate every other player in all aspects of the game as a whole.

Case in point, virtually everyone knows that Efren has a weak break. A Michael Jordan of pool would have a SVB break, with Efren cue ball control and creativity, Shaw or Filler shot-making, Corey's creativity and a mind to figure out the break, etc.

So wouldn't the Michael Jordon of basketball have the physical size of Lebron, or the dribbling skills of Iverson?
NO he wouldn't and didn't, yet he is still the greatest.
You want perfection, wish for GOD to play pool, because the Michael Jordons of the world have never been the best at every aspect of their sport.
What you expect is a pipe dream, unless we start genetically engineering designer people for specific purposes.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This was my analysis of it, and I posted that very thing multiple times in the chat.
Shane either didn't give 2 ducks about it, or he had something else on his mind.
He could have cared less about that match. Several times, he barely even looked at the shot, then proceeded to 2 stroke it, and let her fly.
Did he want to win, of course. Was he willing to expend all the mental effort & concentration needed, for a exhibition, HELL NO.
If somebody wants to play for 20k that's 1 thing, someone wanting to play for peanuts in an exhibition, where's the motivation.
He did pretty much the same thing against Earl a couple months ago. I don't think Shane gives 2 shits about an exhibition.
Like putting a Formula 1 driver in a go kart, and expecting him to give it his all, for a $50 Walmart giftcard.

This match was not just an exhibition. They plan to hold 8 of these matches, with the 8 winners going to a tournament that pays the winner $20,000.

I don't know what the format will be for that 8-man event. If it is single elimination, then the whole thing, including the 8 qualifier matches, means someone will win $20,000 by winning just 4 matches. So even though the initial likelihood of winning the big prize is not high for any one of the initial 16 players, I would think the possibility would still be sufficient to motivate each player to try to do his best.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does seem odd that a guy would win 5 U S Open 9 ball championships and then make a major change to his equipment but it has happened before.

If I was Shane a sponsor would have to pay a lot of cash to get me to change.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
So wouldn't the Michael Jordon of basketball have the physical size of Lebron, or the dribbling skills of Iverson?
NO he wouldn't and didn't, yet he is still the greatest.
You want perfection, wish for GOD to play pool, because the Michael Jordons of the world have never been the best at every aspect of their sport.
What you expect is a pipe dream, unless we start genetically engineering designer people for specific purposes.
I knew that someone would point out that Jordan was not perfect. In today's pool world however, I think that for a player to dominate the sport, they will have to be the very best and every aspect of the game. Maybe that "God" player will never come around, but one can hope...

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
It's pretty boring when the same person wins over and over.
Not to me. When I tune in to watch pool, I want to see the best pool possible. I actually prefer a superstar to dominate the sport. As a player, I want to see the best of the best play. Right now I love to watch SVB, Filler, Shaw, Orcullo, and any other player that can dominate a match with superb play.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does seem odd that a guy would win 5 U S Open 9 ball championships and then make a major change to his equipment but it has happened before.

But the big payday is not available for not meeting your sponsor's needs.

Kinda like saying you'd rather make nothing than less than you think you should make.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Close to twenty years ago, Earl Strickland made, essentially, the same decision when he switched to a CueTec. Money talks.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...

Those top 9 and 10 Ballers are so good and so close talent wise, any one of them can win or loose on any day. They will never play each other in heads up matches enough for any one to stay on top very often.

I think now is the "Golden Age" of 9 and 10 Ball players and I like it. They are a joy to watch!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Those top 9 and 10 Ballers are so good and so close talent wise, any one of them can win or loose on any day. They will never play each other in heads up matches enough for any one to stay on top very often.

I think now is the "Golden Age" of 9 and 10 Ball players and I like it. They are a joy to watch!

That's a good, refreshing point of view. Let's sit back and enjoy the show.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to me. When I tune in to watch pool, I want to see the best pool possible. I actually prefer a superstar to dominate the sport. As a player, I want to see the best of the best play. Right now I love to watch SVB, Filler, Shaw, Orcullo, and any other player that can dominate a match with superb play.

Well I guess you don't like watching Chang yet other than Filler none is running to play him , I know for a fact DO told one of his backers to bet Chang even and if day one wasn't a example of complete domination I don't know what is

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Close to twenty years ago, Earl Strickland made, essentially, the same decision when he switched to a CueTec. Money talks.

Yep and the worst decision in his career was shattering it in the MC, I bet he's thought about that 1000 times over

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Well I guess you don't like watching Chang yet other than Filler none is running to play him , I know for a fact DO told one of his backers to bet Chang even and if day one wasn't a example of complete domination I don't know what is

I was going to include Chang, but he is so robotic I'm not sure yet. Chang is like a machine. Certainly he is a top player, but for some reason he's not as enjoyable to watch for me.

Maybe it's because I just can't ever see myself playing like him (with his mechanics). IDK.

_______

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I believe Shane won his last 3 or 4 US Opens playing with a cuetec, he didn't just start playing with one.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

It's not unusual to see a player who changes midship, because the equipment used, makes them play a ball worse than their skill level. Change is a motivator.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Shane has only lost one race to 100 and yes it was to Alex in their first match, in which Shane blew a 28 game lead at one point. But Shane tortured Alex in the next race to a 100, and beat him out of quite a bit of cash at pool room in Vegas after that match as well.

shane also lost to earl in a race to 100 once. TAR 20

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
10 ball on a 10 ft I believe,,

That's an old school type trap, one of Many.

Practice on a ten footer for a few mths/start barking, then challenge the up/coming SVB who does NOT play on a 10' to bet high on Your equipment, good move.

Yah Think?